Search Unity

Smartphones pure hardware comparison :

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n0mad, Jun 29, 2010.

1. n0mad

n0mad

Very helpful for those like me who had a hell of a time to choose their next phone...

(thanks to the author : Apollo Clark @ Lifehacker)

Attached Files:

2. Veli

Veli

Where's the Nokias?

3. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

The iPad. It's buitiful, it's sleek. It cost more then more then most laptops. And yet, we are too much of assholes to let Adobe develop a free Flash player.

Enjoy.

4. n0mad

n0mad

Yeah there are some phones missing here, but I think the original author wanted to compare the most competiting superphones.

Nokia are great phones, but not very competitive in the multimedia territory (for now).

5. FEL0505

FEL0505

6. Ro

Ro

The iPad doesn't have enough memory to run the mobile version of Flash (which need 512 megs)

7. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

It's a shame too. If only they upgraded it.

8. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I'll take the samsung

9. n0mad

n0mad

Actually, when you browse the net, a lot of people are taking the Samsung :)
    (including me)

10. n0mad

n0mad

Just a small update, to show who is the new king of performance, the Samsung Galaxy S.
    (when this post is submitted, the Galaxy S is 400 points above the iPhone 4)

The latest Apple's product being completely destroyed is kind of refreshing, as iPhone was just dominating for years.
    I wish Apple the best for the next iPhone iteration, but for now, they found their master.

The only let down for the GS is that it kind of copy iPhone's form factor and interface,
    but other qualities like performances and screen vibrancy are so awesome that I don't really care.

I just got my Galaxy S this morning, and it really wipes all my past mobile devices experiences, including iPhone, iTouch, Cowon, and many others.
    It is damn fast, responsive (touch screen is as responsive as an iPhone 3GS, to say), and there are soooooo many useful parameters utilities ...

Welcome to the top, Samsung, you made it ;)

11. jashan

jashan

That's funny - when I used to do J2ME development, I really hated Samsung because their devices only gave me trouble (never bothered to make any Samsungs officially supported). The only device manufacturer I found worse was Motorola (and unfortunately, the RAZR piece of ... um ... useless plastic was pretty popular).

Well, seems the game changes very once in a while. But I guess the Galaxy S only becomes really interesting for me when it supports Froyo. So I can at least enjoy my Nexus One for a little while (whenever it arrives ;-) ).

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

nokia has neither android nor iOS devices, so in the comparision for "unity users" they are of no interest as symbian and maemo are not supported at all ;)

and I agree, the galaxy s is the first android phone where I even considered so far to drop my iphone for it ...
    Given apples stance in assing europeans (we here in switzerland do not even have prices for iPhone 4 yet, yet a release date and that although the original wave 2 was slated for end of july originally ... though I didn't expect to see it happen before end of august if not mid sept basing on the ipad experience)

All we need now is tegra 2 platforms coming round and crushing the ipad and we are all happy ... ah no wait, google has to fix the payed store support to be less of a joke with a handfull of countries to sell to and even less to sell from.

13. n0mad

n0mad

Yeah Samsung seems to be breaking its bad support reputation with the GS ;)

Speaking of Nexus one, I used it intensively during the last couple of days, and I can assure you that now that I tasted the GS, and even if it doesn't have Froyo yet, never could I look back :)

N1 was laggy, touch unresponsive, and even small compared to GS :p
    (and I was sceptical too about it not having Froyo)

Now all I can do is jumping into the bandwagon of GS owners saying : "Holy crap if it's that fast and responsive I can't imagine how it will be when Froyo will hit it".

:D

edit : @dreamora : yeah I guess this little beast will already become obsolete in a few monthes with Tegra2 phones (some are already planned by Motorola or Samsung, I can't recall).

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

benefit of the nexus one though is that it will always remain the least painfull experience to test new android releases or getting the new versions fast cause they are the only ones not wrapping android with "pink glasses" ;)

15. n0mad

n0mad

Yup, absolutely :>

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

Tegra 2 is a platform for tablets and thats one of the two fields where android must (not can) grow if it wants to become some real competition for the iPhone from dev point of view. (the other one is the total lack of an iTouch counterpart which all in all has sold more units than the iphone did, which shows pretty well the androids current major weakness at least for us as game devs where the "game centric" device is totally missing on the android side).

I have my doubts that tegra 2 on phones makes much sense especially with todays battery technology. its very powerfull but its also pretty battery intense with its dual ARM cortex a9 cpu platform and its gpu.
    Potentially it will have some spinoff technology but how well that can hold up against cortex a9 driven phones with SGX545 will have to be seen especially given that neither of the two is even in use in phones right now

17. n0mad

n0mad

Sure, I always saw most of the Tegra 2 announces coming in pair with tablets, not phones, for good reasons.

But it seems like Nvidia is using cortex A9 in it, and already planned power consumption optimizations :

http://androidandme.com/2010/05/news/nvidia-tegra-2-android-handsets-coming-2h-2010/

Plus the fact that Tegra 1 will quickly be outperformed by current alternative architectures, Nvidia will have to put the 2 on the phone market if they want to stay in the smartphone business :)