Search Unity

MonoDevelop new file templates

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by sacredgeometry, Jun 25, 2010.

1. sacredgeometry

sacredgeometry

i was wondering how you set up templates for new files in monodev? I know its relatively simple in Visual studio but the less time i spend working on a windows machine the calmer i tend to be.

What i want is to be able to just click add -> new file -> type in the name of the new c# file and to have it add that name to the class name. so i dont have to do the long winded process of writing out a template for files or deleting and renaming bits i don't need every time i start a new script.

its probably simple but everytime i search i get things which are not what i am after.

2. lancerfour

lancerfour

+1 Why can't monodev have a simple "Make New Template" option? seems like such a basic feature... :(

3. Macguffin

Macguffin

Another +1. Having a hell of a time finding any place where I can update the Unity templates, or finding anything on the net that isn't MonoDevelop devs talking about development.

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks much.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. Dantus

Dantus

If you check out the TODO of MonoDevelop, you are going to find that point...

5. Macguffin

Macguffin

Well, hell. Fair enough! Thanks.

6. Quazistax

Quazistax

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  7. css_maya

css_maya

Hi Tranquility
    I used your package to develop my own template system, but, the package don't come in file menu, even when I disable/enable it. what's the problem?

8. Quazistax

Quazistax

Hi css_maya

I made some tests and here are some conclusions.

On restart of MonoDevelop, if your .addin.xml has some errors or is not well formed xml file, MonoDevelop will not load it (if it has a cached working version of previous .addin.xml it will load that one).

Using enable/disable will not reload .addin.xml, only .xft.xml files. So if you make changes in .addin.xml and want to see them, you should restart MonoDevelop.

To know if changed .addin.xml has errors, you could change its 'name' and if you don't see in Add-in Manager a new name, but an old one, you know it didn't load because of errors, so previous cached file was loaded.

If some of .xtf.xml files didn't load, you can see in Message Log that there was a problem (Menu: View->Pads->Message Log). You will not see .addin.xml errors in Message Log.

If you can't find out what could be wrong with your .addin.xml you can contact me by email on my blog.

9. lo

lo

Anyone has an idea for installing this templates on monodevelop mac ?

thanks

10. Quazistax

Quazistax

@laurent

To install templates on mac, extract templates package and copy extracted folder to "Contents\MacOS\lib\monodevelop\AddIns" in MonoDevelop application package. Description on blog is updated with screenshots for mac.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  11. lo

lo

Thanks !