Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Decal Framework 1.1 with Bloody Decals (Fluid)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Frameshift, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Frameshift

Frameshift

Hi everybody!
    Our decal framework allow you to create a decals in editor under development level design and in runtime. Make a design of your project more interesting and believable.

Video Page : http://unity3dstore.com/?page_id=290
    Demo Scene : http://unity3dstore.com/?page_id=278
    Download : http://unity3dstore.com/?page_id=59
    User Manual : http://unity3dstore.com/?page_id=296

Demo Project : Download Demo Project

Features

Platforms :

* Windows
    * Mac OS X

Unity:

* Versions : 2.6.1
    * Free (Basic)
    * Pro

Decal Mesh Generation :

* Based on source surface mesh
    * Full Tangent Space Generation (or preserve for non-projective decals)

Decal UV Generation :

* Projective
    * Preserve
    * Normalized

Additive :

* Mesh offset adjustment
    * Mesh generation normal threshold
    * (NEW) Fluid decals. Pro only feature

Static Decals. The system allows you to create static decals in editore during scene development. Create a decal just like prefab and then use it repeatedly. Convenient positioning system allows for one click to put a decal on specified point. Using standard tools of Unity, you can quickly and easily configure other options: decal size, rotation, etc. After creating a set of decals system allows to combine all the decals of a given type at a specified object in single mesh, this feature allows you to optimize the draw calls for maximum performance. Combining can also perform automatically before starting the level, you need only call one function in a library.

Static Skinned Decals. You can create not only simple but also skinned decals. You can quickly and simply give each of your characters necessary uniqueness simply by adding to it a few decals such as stains, blood, patches on clothing and scratches on the body and much more.

Dynamic Decals. Dynamic decals are decals that are created in runtime, such às bullet holes, blood splatters, footprints. Our system allows you to create all these elements without which does not exist any serious project. For each dynamic decal is only necessary to call two functions from the library. The first creates a mesh decals, the second directly creates an object decals. The system monitors all created dynamic decals and controls their behaviour. Combining, randomization, and work with the texture atlas, destroing , fading. Combining the decals in runtime will reduce the draw calls to a minimum and to obtain high performance.

Dynamic Skinned Decals. Dynamic decals also can be skinned. You can easily create blood splatters or damage on your characters in runtime. The system can control the maximum number of decals on skinned object and quality of the skinning, 1,2,4 bones.

(NEW) Fluid Decals. You can create fluid decals like blood that flows down the walls.

Advanced. Often we need to create a decal on the surface that has bump mapping shader. If Decal has bump mapping shader by itself than we need for blending between the surface normal map and normal map of decals. Our system allows you to do this while preserving the original UV coords and tangential space of the source surface in decal mesh. To achieve the effect we provide several shaders which is a modification of Unity bump shader. All you need is either to use these shaders or write you own using our shader as an example , this is not so difficult.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Decal Framework 1.1 Released !

Changes :

* Added support for fluid (bloody) decals
    * Bugfixes

Fluid decals is free for everybody like dynamic decals. Pro only feature!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

For my next project I exactly need this. Perfect! Price is ok and fair I would say. Good job!

3. Frameshift

Frameshift

Thank's :)

4. Chill

Chill

I read that the dynamic decals is free.
    Is it true?

5. Frameshift

Frameshift

Yes you can free use Dynamic and Dynamic Skinned Decals in your project. You need use unity prefab system for this.

6. Chill

Chill

Where I can find manual for decals? In your site I see only Scripting Manual, but I need simple manual for create decals in editor. Can you give me link for this?

7. TwiiK

TwiiK

This looks amazing.

Can't believe I paid that other guy who showcased his promising decal project here. It had nothing, but he promised a lot of features so I wanted to support further developement. Then he ran away with my dollar. :p

Ohh well, lesson learned. At least you have the features already. :)

Have you stresstested it? I have a rough decal framework in my game and I was fiddling around with the combinechildren script so I could have hundreds of thousands of decals on screen at the same time without any impact on performance. The only problem which I wasn't able to fix was that memory usage increased steadily with every new decal and even if you destroyed them and every reference to them the memory was still being used. The only way to free it was to restart Unity.

8. Frameshift

Frameshift

User Manual will be 13-14 June.

9. Frameshift

Frameshift

In our tool you have no performance lost and have no memory lost. All Decals and all new decal meshes properly destroyed in it's own time. Take a look at profiler in runtime and you will see that.
    Decals testet on all platforms, already.

10. Neodrop

Neodrop

This system work fine only with MeshColliders or, with any colliders types ?

11. PolyMad

PolyMad

OMG so cool... I was looking for something like this.

If nothing similar will be included in U3 I'll buy!

By the way, how did you manage to retain bricks normal maps into the splat normals????? :eek:

12. Frameshift

Frameshift

One Click Position system works ONLY if object has collider (Mesh or any another type of colliders). Because we have no choise, and another way to get point in world space. Decal meshes generation based on any kind of mesh, usual mesh or skinned mesh. In Unity 3.0 you also will have access to Tree decals and Cloth decals.
    Also in v 1.1 we will make support of "bloody (flow)" Decals

Attached Files:

13. Frameshift

Frameshift

You can see that in our DecalBamp or DecalParallax shaders.

14. BearishSun

BearishSun

I just started working on something like this. Damn I hate when someone beats me to it :)

But very nice project. Unlike most of so-called "decal systems" around these forums.

Mind if I ask how did you handle mesh clipping, for decal mesh generation? Isn't it performance intensive? Did you use some kind of spatial partitioning on the mesh?

15. Frameshift

Frameshift

You just take mesh and cut it with six planes + a lot of different mathematics :) That is all

16. BearishSun

BearishSun

That's how I did it. However if you have a mesh with a lot of polygons, and you need a lot of decals generated fast, it can seriously slow down your scene.

For example I tried culling(not even clipping) a mesh with 2500 polygons, every frame. Frame rate dropped from 2500 to around a 100-150. That's with an empty scene (only the 2.5k mesh loaded).

Now if you had a scene with 500-1000 draw calls and bunch of scripts where the CPU was already plenty busy, and multiple players running around shooting things with automatic rifles(multiple rounds per second), will there be a noticeable slowdown?

17. Frameshift

Frameshift

Just calculate how many times bullets will be hit something like this torus per frame!

Attached Files:

18. BearishSun

BearishSun

Seems great, thanks ;)

19. JDonavan

JDonavan

It'd be nice if your licensing matched Unity. Looks like one would need to buy two licenses in order to develop on both Mac and Windows.

20. Pulov

Pulov

This feature really looks good. I was wondering how to add detail to the road for a racing game such as more dirty areas, squid marcs in the curves and so on.

I'll try to give it a try in the incoming days.

Hope adding details with this method does not reduce the performance in a great manner, or that it comes with some kind of LOD or a similar feature.

21. Frameshift

Frameshift

Currently we don't have LOD features for Decal Framework.
    But you could use your exist LOD system for making LOD levels for combined Decal meshes in your scene as usual.

22. SpyridonZ

SpyridonZ

Excuse me, I see a download on the page but I dont see anything specifying what features the free version has compared to the purchased version?

Could you please list the differences?

23. viral-vector

viral-vector

WOW I AM SPEECHLESS. JUST LOOKING AT THE PICTURE!! GENIUS

24. mikesgames

mikesgames

thanks for that m8! i downloaded both manual and Decal!

25. Frameshift

Frameshift

In free version you can not freely work with Static Decals.

26. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

Can you guys make some coupons? I'm a student, middle-school to be exact, and it's pretty hard to get $50...

Anyhow if you can't, no biggie. Pretty nice script too.

27. chadchat

chadchat

28. Frameshift

Frameshift

In our example shaders transparent alpha blended shaders receives shadows. Take a look at the demo scene.

Attached Files:

29. chadchat

chadchat

Thx for your reply.
    I did take a look at the demo scene, but that particular decal doesn't look alpha blended, that's why I asked.

Anyway, great to hear! Sold!

Do you anticipate any issues with this framework integrating into Unity3?

c

30. Frameshift

Frameshift

If you need transparent alpha blended shader that receives shadows than you need ambient pass and main transparent pass must be tagged like this : Tags {"Queue" = "Geometry+1"}

31. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

In "runtime" theory could this be used with an in game skin editor or avatar maker?

32. Frameshift

Frameshift

if you can store generated skin mesh between game sessions, than why not? Or you can save player settings and generate skinned decals every time before game starts.

33. Oleander

Oleander

My friend adviced me this development and gave me this link. I bought it at once. That works great! I'm going to apply it in my game which will be done soon.
    Thanks for your good job!

34. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

Any answers?

35. Frameshift

Frameshift

You can freely use Dynamic and Skinned Dynamic Decals without any payment in you demo or non commercial project.

36. Frameshift

Frameshift

37. chadchat

chadchat

38. HJP

HJP

Good work. I like it. But, why do I get this error?

BCE0106: Failed to access the types defined in assembly 'Frameshift.Decal, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral' - (/Users/heinz-joergpuhlmann/New Unity Project 1/Assets/Frameshift/DecalFramework 1.0/Pluggins/Lib/Frameshift.Decal.dll): Could not load file or assembly 'UnityEditor, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral' or one of its dependencies..

I'm on a Mac.

39. HJP

HJP

I solved the problem, by copying the file UnityEditor.dll to the path Pluggins/Lib.

40. Frameshift

Frameshift

It's very strange because we tested it on Mac...

41. chadchat

chadchat

I have the same issue, on a Mac.

42. Frameshift

Frameshift

Updated. Now UnityEngine.dll in Lib Folder. But on our Macs there is no this problem

43. HJP

HJP

I have a question. What do you mean with i_decalType in this example?

Code (csharp):
    1. //Find colliders near raycast hit point
    2. Collider[] colliders=Physics.OverlapSphere(hit.position, 0.3F);
    3. //Burn decal mesh
    4. Mesh decalMesh = DecalCreator.CreateDecalMesh(i_decalType,hit.position,hit.direction, colliders);
    5. //Create decal object
    6. DecalCreator.CreateDynamicDecal(decalMesh, hit.collider, i_decalType);
    EDIT: I think I have it. It is your special prefab / gameobject.

I bought it. 8)

44. Frameshift

Frameshift

Yes, it is just yor prefab or game object from scene!

45. Pulov

Pulov

hi!

just finished my exams and wanted to try this plugin. I installed an managed to place a decal, in particular trying to get dirt a circuit with squid marcs etc. Just a test.

Questions....

Is there any way for blending the decal over the asphalt controlling its opacity? I found no slider to do this, but I think that would be handy. Also as you already are able to fade de decals, sure you've this "technology" already implemented. Would be nice to have control over this like in photoshop.

Also, to make a decal such as a road crackle look like in the road I'll be in the need of an alpha map. So, the diffuse texture needs to come with an alpha too right?. My initial idea was to load the diffuse and the alpha separately, so that the alpha in some cases could be simply a noise texture so that the dirt/leaves... distribute "randomly" over the asphalt.

Finally a question about the render priority. I saw a parameter about "offset" or simialr, wich seemed the ofse the decal has over the "ground". Is that??
    THere is no render priority control in Unity? I mean, two shapes cant share the same space and only on of then be rendered, being its render controled by a render priority?? (z fighting) .

46. Frameshift

Frameshift

Decals are the same as usual objects. And then what you are saying is adjusted through the material decals. You must use your shaders or our shaders or write your shaders using our as an example. Alpha blending and transparency is not the decals problem it is problem of decals material

47. Frameshift

Frameshift

48. HJP

HJP

that's great and helpful!!

49. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

off topic
    can you tell me how to do the blood splashing on the ground and the char's ?
    and the bullets small particles when they hit ?
    i'm willing to pay you if you want tho :)

50. Frameshift

Frameshift

You can see all implementation in Demo project...