Search Unity

FreeRider - snowboard game... first shot + small movie

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by kaaJ, May 16, 2007.

1. kaaJ

kaaJ

Ok, after a few weeks of work, my project called "FreeRide" (just the project name, not definitive) is starting to get shape!

It was inspired by the downhill part of "ski or die", one of my favourite games of all time :-D

I know the screens don't look so impressive, but hey, I've spend about 10 percent of my time on the graphical part of the game... so I'm pretty sure it will work out fine.
    Because gameplay says more than a thousand pictures... ( I guess ), I've added a movie.
    The snowboarder is a bit small, but it looks OK on normal playing resolutions. You probably can't see any grabs and other fancy movement stuff, but I'll upload a better video later on...

Oh, and another thing, this game is running fluent... full screen on intel gma950 ... for now

Comments are welcome, but I know the graphics need to be improved ;-)

.kaaJ

Attached Files:

2. drJones

drJones

wow - looks sweet so far. i'm curious how are you doing the trail in the snow?

3. nickavv

nickavv

Lookin pretty awesome there. I can make out some grabs and flips in the video.

4. kaaJ

kaaJ

It's mainly the timebased trailrenderer from Yoggy (thanks man :)) with the right material! What I want to modify next is making the trail bigger when the player turns... That will look awesome I guess.

Thanks for the motivating reply's!

.kaaJ

5. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

That is pretty impressive looking so far. I am wondering is the game controlled from the front view shown in the video or more traditional 3rd person style ?

How are you handling the physics and animation?

Can't wait to see more on this project.

Edit: Posted just as you did! You are welcome to use my trail renderer :) Probably it would be better to use one that was specifically created for a snowboard (exactly fits the size of the board relative to the player's velocity and always faces up instead of at the camera) but the one you use right now works fine.

6. kaaJ

kaaJ

Thanks Yoggy!
    The game will be controlled like in the front view shown (The controls are easy, I used the "mom-test" ;-)).
    I would like to create the feeling that the snowboarder is being watched from a helicopter.
    Like you see in freeride movies. And I'm thinking of bringing the camera closer, or changing the angle when the player is jumping...)

.kaaJ

7. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Lovely. Never too many shredding games I say!

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Looks good, nice work! Dang though, now I wanna go skiing (sorry, I still ski, boarding will come along at some point)... :D

9. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

That looks very good! I use to love snowboarding game :D

I'd say definitely move the camera is a little, and lower the angle of elevation.

10. kaaJ

kaaJ

I wanna go snowboarding the whole year long man, that's why I made this game :-D

Well... getting the physics right was kind of tricky, I tried about 4 methods... But the one I use now is a combination between pure physics (gravity, friction directions,etc) and vector rotation (that's a really simplistic way for saying it). If I have the time to clean out my code one day, I will certainly put it on the Wiki. I guess it would also work on cars and motorbikes...

Animation wise, almost pure Cheetah3D (thanks Martin! ;-)). I crossfade between takes (poses). For the leaning and stuff, that's some lerping around angles, I sure you know how to do that :)
    I've spend a lot of time just tweaking values (crossfade times, animation speeds, etc) to make it fluent like it is now...

Thanks for the support everyone!

.kaaJ

11. AaronC

AaronC

Very Cool...
    How did you do the slope? Is it one poly, a bunch of polys, a collision surface different to the graphical surface and or Proceduarally (sp) generated? I always knew boardriding games and Unity would rock!
    Good Stuff
    AC

12. kaaJ

kaaJ

Right now it's still just one big poly.. (I used polygon reduction on a terrain I made with earthscuptor).
    But what I really want to do is to split up the terrain into different pieces (I hope to do that within Unity3D), and only using/showing the pieces needed, so I can retain my initial poly's.

I guess there are two approaches: Breaking up my mesh, or splitting my heightmap. :)

.kaaJ

13. doncorsean

doncorsean

Did you edit the original script at all. I'm trying to implement a very similar snow trail but the trail twists and banks behind my object and from some angles only the back-faces show and the trail disappears. did you edit it so the normal is always up or something. nice looking stuff, Thx

14. bigTimeOperator

bigTimeOperator

Hey, this is fantastic. I've been working on a game that requires mechanics/physics similar to snowboarding. I've been playing around with calculating the angles and gravity components manually but am having issues getting the turns to feel right... and you sure seem to have nailed it in this demo video. I'd love to peek at this code and see how you set it up, but also I want to play this game. How did you make out?

15. LamentConfig

LamentConfig

That looks *awesome* ! :) loved ski or die myself :) and I wouldn't be to modest about your screens looking "impressive" I think they look pretty sweet :)

16. Ullukai

Ullukai

Ha ! Awesome ! I love snowboarding games ..look out shaun white !!! :) .....i use to downhill ski alot too but it got too expensive.. all that equipment and such....i even skiied in the Rockies at Sunshine Village ! my camera froze at the top of the mountain..it was that cold ! it still took a pic though

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  17. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I love that game! Your game looks great so far, can't wait to play it!

18. kinl

kinl

Is this idea still on the go?

EDIT: I guess not :(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  19. Rappy

Rappy

I'm also trying to make a snowboard game but I can't manage to make a good trail (I need a good material). I'm somewhat of a noob that's why I need help D:

20. kaaJ

kaaJ

Well, not really, I started out with some smaller projects (I'm currently working on element4l.com). But I'll try to search for the project on my old macbook (it's probably a unity 1.x project with javascript code) and put it on my blog.

Cheers!

21. suctioncup

suctioncup

I'd really like it if you put the project up for download too, I'd like to see how you did certain things.

22. Woundz

Woundz

Which collider did you use? for snowboarder&snowboard?
    I trying for something like that.
    Try mesh colli / box&capsule combination / a few capsule / etc.
    But i cant catch this :/
    Snowboard continuously doing seize up, bump, shake.
    Cant slide on the land.

Please help me.
    Thanks.

23. kaaJ

kaaJ

Well, you could use a whole range of colliders, the most important aspect is the physics material. Use the friction/dynamic direction2 to simulate advancing in a certain direction only.
    Example collider: Long flat cube with two capsule colliders at each end, like this: 0===0

24. Woundz

Woundz

Well i noted but i dont use one direction.
    My snowboarder collider move local forward.

???

Edit: One more question;

I approached your physic.
    But still some bumping.
    And i cant controll rotation, y axis turn turn turn and my snowboarder turn reverse. :)

Basic for limit;
    if snowboard.rotation.y > 80
    snowboard.rotate.y -1
    else if snowboard.rotation.y <10
    dont do something.

I use script like that.
    Its working but not perfect.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  25. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

You can upload it ?

26. kaaJ

kaaJ

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  27. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Looks great!

28. dotsquid

dotsquid

Smooth update. Like a glove!

29. DetroitBrian

DetroitBrian

Can't spell "Community" without "Unity"!

that's a.. that's an update :p