Search Unity

[Save $600 !! ✅]Global Illumination Proxy-Fast fully real time GI,Zero baking,Mobile optimized,IBL

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Aug 9, 2014.

1. orb

orb

Very tempted as this seems like a lightweight solution, at least on a recent mid-high range device. I get 60fps on the two APKs posted with my Nexus 5.

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is the main purpose of this pack, to have a fully dynamic GI solution approximation for games that also need the extra performance, like mobile or the RPG i have been working on.

Also it does not need baking and works in Unity free, which allows lots of freedom.

3. orb

orb

Not so worried about free support, only having an alternative to the GI in 5 if it's going to be really heavy ;)

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system will work in Unity 5 i guess, since it does not make use of anything special, just point lights.

One of the perks comparing to Enlighten is that it needs no baking and can be 100% dynamic solution, so will have its place even if Enlightnen is very fast.

Personally i hate baking anything, so Enlighten's baking is something i will try to avoid in any scene i can get good results with my system.

5. orb

orb

Baking is a huge annoyance, yeah. I'll have to wait till I can get my hands on the 5.0 beta and see whether it's better or worse on a lower class device than your solution.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, baking is very restrictive from so many sides. For example i usually change my maps all the time, adding, removing and transforming staff. If i have to bake each time would be a nightmare.

So as a first step i am trying to implement my Proxy system everywhere i can, since it is 100% non baked and has very little impact on my performance and then will look to see if i can hardcode Enlighten in some of the maps, or use Livenda's solution based on my performance needs.

I guess i will be using all three systems in the end.

UPDATE:

Here is my 'to do" list so far, based on the ongoing implementation in my RPG and various requests.

- Second bounces (or more) algorithm, that will also retain the high performance and smooth result.

- Global Manager that will handle multiple GI lights. Multiple lights are already possible, there is no such restriction, but the pools are separate, so some of the bounce lights may overlap. A global manager could remove some of these or provide info to each GI script to avoid placing lights near existing ones.

I have not yet decided if this will be a separate script or i should have one script to rule them all and apply GI lights from a single list, using a single pool. This needs lots of planning to get perfect and correct.

- Automations in setup, for example some of the parameters could be auto selected based on the grid scale and more. I will try to automate the setup as much as possible (but keep the freedom to manually change the parameters).

7. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

I Bought it, I am very happy, the second bounce will be even better please,

Many thanks

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for buying :)

The 2ond bounce is 1st in my to do list :) and should not be that hard i guess

Make sure to also leave a review to help the pack grow faster

9. blueivy

blueivy

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Glad you like it :)

For this first version the goal was to have a one bounce GI, with a lot of control and very fast scalable performance.

It is definitly only scratching the surface of what could be possible though, for example 2ond or more bounces can easilly be added (and less easilly be optimized to keep performance great), global light control to eliminate multiple GI lights overlap (if you need to use many GI lights in the same room for example, some might overlap) and various more controls, like distance based bounce light intensity calculations for point lights etc

There is a lot of things i plan to add, the only obstacle is time and sales, if sales are slow (that also depends on reviews i guess) i have to do many other jobs to get by and thus the extras will come slower, but the only certain thing is that they will come, since i use this in my RPG game and will continue developing it until it is perfect.

Like the particle system pack i have (Particle Dynamic Magic), where i always add more staff.

So, stay tuned for many more cool updates :)

blueivy likes this.
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

The pack will be at the introductory price for a few more days, so make sure to grab it while it lasts

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Quick poll:

Would a 40$ price be far more desirable than the planned 50$ one ?

If there are more than 15 votes for 40$, i will put it at that price point for the rest of September

Please let me know.

Also a big thanks to all the support for the pack so far, really cool reception :)
    Make sure to leave a review too, to help the pack grow faster

13. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Hi Nasos,

Im loving your GI system! I can see it will be a great addition to the look of my outdoor environments

I am currently using this with Environment Gator, and I have a few questions. First though :

Without your script (EG's ambient system has been disabled)

With your script (Both images have SSAO)

nice!

I am having problems controlling how the lights spawn and their intensity. I want them to spawn with no intensity and gradually increase to bounce intensity, however I cannot get this to happen.

I tried setting the following :
    divide_init_intensity = 50
    bounce_intensity = 0.2
    appear_speed 5 and 0.001

the point lights always "pop" into scene and it spoils the effect during sunrise and sunset as the grid moves quickly spawning new lights. if I can get them to fade in over a few seconds that would solve it completely!

How would you recommend modifying your script to switch between 2 light sources (sun and moon) depending on which has the highest intensity? would using projector_obj be the way, or are other details of the light pulled from the parent?

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Glad you like the system :)

One question, do you also move the light source or only rotate the sun ? The grid is always parallel to the ground, so if the rays come from the side it will accumulate lights in one spot (that is why grid does not yet work with spot light). The way i made the test scenes, is to rotate the sun light and keep the source position high above the ground (in hero mode should also point to the area around the hero before the game starts).

About the settings, the appear speed is too high, probably that is why lights get to their final value immediately. The trick is to balance the appear and degrade speeds, so that lights do not stay in the scene long after they are not needed.

I would start with 0.3 in both settings and work from there. Another thing is that you have to animate the appear speed, so it comes to its desired value when the sun has fully appeared for example (i suppose this is what 5 to 0.0001 means ?)

You can also check the exact behavior of bounce lights in the pool, i would pause the game and check the initial value when a light is created. To know when this happens, i activate the gizmos option in the play view and see light sources as they come into play.

The divide_init_intensity=50 should work, remember to also animate this to a lower number as sun needs brighter lights to come in play.

If all else fail, you can always send me a test scene and set it up, maybe i discover some new usuability options to offer in the process :)

Also it is very interestng as an idea to expand the system for a full day/night cycle, that is added to my to do list.

EDIT: Also what is the range value you use for bounce lights and how thick is the grid ?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  15. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Hi Naseos. The Entire sun object rotates around the world on a central axis (so it moves semi-realistically). The hard angles during morning and night are actually fine and look really good (with the exception of the pop-into-existence) but once the sun is below the surface (well below) the lights are created on the underside and it looks odd. I am pretty sure Ive figured out how to switch the source now. Im going to have your script attached to both satellites and disable once intensity goes below a set level.

as for appear_speed I tried using a value of 5, and I also tried a value of 0.001. Both made absolutely no difference to the appearance of the lights in the scene. Even with an initial_intensity_divide of 1000.

Im using a grid size of 10. scale of 5x5, min_density_dist of 2.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

The appear speed not making a difference is rather strange. You will have to check the lights in the pool (LightPOOL object in the pic) and see if they do reach the required intensity and how fast. Use as low as 0.005 in appear speed and 5000 in divide, i get a smooth result with these settings (0.05 intensity) in outdoors.

I post a pic with my settings, these will move from black to day light in a very smooth and slow way, then i play with intensity to get the desired brightness (3rd pic uses 0.08 instead of 0.05 in 2on pic).

If you give me an email, i can also send the scene with the setup. The lights do get affected here by appear speed, with 0.001 will take a lot of time to reach the destination for example. 0.005 gives a slow HDR like result, i would use a bit more though.

I still think the issue comes from the light source motion, i worked with static sun that only rotates, so this could be an thing to test, i will get to it tomorrow.If lights get accumulated at a certain angle, it could create a larger than desired first brightness, even if individually they are growing slowly.

Also check out the "soften color change" and "Bounce range" parameters, these will also affect the appearence.

About the lights appearing underneath, these could be avoided in a number of ways, one is to disable the light pool when the sun goes under, this is the easiest way. In my setup, since the light source does not move, i dont get lights underneath, that is why i have an option to cut off the lights above the hero and not below.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  17. SteveB

SteveB

Speaking of outdoor GI, any progress/thoughts on the Skylighting implementation I mentioned a week or so ago?

18. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

OK, so I am unsure what happened, but completely removing your script and starting from scratch fixed the appearance issue. Maybe I buggered something messing with values.

Here is a video of your GI running on EG with the full rotational sun object. As you can tell, it works EXTREMELY well for the moving light source. I still need to tweak the appearance and degrade settings. Your system is actually really well suited to this type of setup. with larger densities and stronger lights you can get extremely light weight GI approximation over a large area around the player, creating only a handful of lights!

(for this video, Ambient lighting and the Moon have been completely disabled to prevent interference)

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

No, sadly i did not have time to work on this yet, unfortunately i have to do a huge number of projects in between to get by, the income from the assets is minimal so far, some reviews would probably help increase sales a bit so i can work on those faster :).

Would you be interested to sample the sky from a spherical dome or from Unity sky ? The hard part is this sampling, after that i could easilly implement in the system, but will take some time until i have this ready and in production level.

Usually after i have a well defined problem i can work very fast on it, sadly the sky issue is not very well defined, since there are so many difference cases/options.

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Really cool :), works very nice indeed. You can get even smoother results too, just play a bit more with the appear, intensity and color smooth and speed settings.

Glad it works out that well in other setups :), cant wait to see the final look you will get

Do you use the hero follow mode btw ? With some tweaking you can indeed get very few lights do the job, i usually increase distance from hit point, increase light brightness and decrease creation density to lower light counts. The extra distance makes sure the bright lights dont appear too close to the surface and create the point light effect and extra range covers more space so the grid can be less dense.

If you need sun light to go through complex structures like in my sample in the pic, you will need a bit thicker grid though to get all the colors of the sun lit items. I have some ideas about near ray sampling that could eliminate the need for that too, but is still WIP.

21. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Hero mode is in use for sure! A possible future feature that would be quite handy would be to have the grid's position in relation to the hero change according to the hero's direction. So example I could set the grid to be infront of the player but not behind nearly as much to save on resources, and when I turn around the grid remains infront of the player. At the moment you need to centre the grid on the player and then extend it so that it covers the required space completely around the player. This is fine and works but I could squeeze out a little more performance if I could just do GI infront of the camera from any rotational angle.

Posted a review for you!

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Many thanks for the review, it will help a lot :)

I like the idea about the grid get its offset based on the hero direction, would work for certain kind of games like FPS (or even third person based on camera setup). I will implement this for sure.

23. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Nasos. I would like to edit your script now to disable itself if either of two conditions are true (and clean up its light pool). How would you recommend I do this?

I want something like this in update :

Code (csharp):
    2. if (lightGameObject.transform.y < 50f || lightGameObject.light.intensity < 0.1f)
    3. {
    4. //shut off this GI script and clean itself up
    5. }
    6. else
    7. {
    8. //run the script as normal
    9. }

24. SteveB

SteveB

Definitely understood

Definitely a spherical dome, and it doesn't even need to be a physical object. Simply skylighting from a hemisphere around the entire scene. :D

Thanks man

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky sampling will be really cool to have for sure, so it is definitly top in the to do list, right after the 2ond light bounces.

I will start with the dome and work up from there for more options.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Since the lights use a gameobject as parent, you can disable this and lights will still get created but will not be active. This way you will make sure the script has no issues, since it wont get disabled and lights will not affect performance.

Code (csharp):
    3. if (lightGameObject.transform.y < 50f || lightGameObject.light.intensity < 0.1f)
    4. {
    5. //shut off this GI script and clean itself up
    7. if(LightPool.activeinhierarchy){
    8.   LightPool.setActive(false);
    9. }
    11. }
    12. else
    13. {
    14. //run the script as normal
    15. if(!LightPool.activeinhierarchy){
    16.   LightPool.setActive(true);
    17. }
    19. }
    For a full disable, you could add the entire Update code inside the 2ond part of your script and add my pool activation code before the update code (and the setactive(false) in the 1st part).

Also i think it is good practice to add a check if already enabled/disabled, so it is not setactive at each frame.

Use "if(LightPool.activeinhierachy)" and "if(!LightPool.activeinhierachy)"

27. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Thanks heaps for the quick response. This worked fantastically. Im making a video of a full day/night cycle now with SSAO, AO, Tonemapping, your GI and EG Ambience.

28. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Here we are all Integrated!

I only get about 5fps performance hit on my Intel I5 with HD4400 integrated graphics. that's impressive

I am still having some odd issues with intensity and creation. Take these shots. The only difference between these two images is the first have Bounce_Intensity at 0.99 and the second have Bounce_Intensity at 1.0. A difference of 0.01 should not make the lights completely disappear

Bounce_Intensity : 0.99

Bounce_Intensity 1.0

Any idea whats causing this?

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

I cant imagine what is causing this, i usually work with less intensity. Very odd indeed. This looks like the "light" component of the bounce lights has been disabled or intensity is zero. If intensity was zero it would eliminate the lights though, so this is probably not the case.

Can you check the lights in the pool and see their intensity and make sure they are on ?

I tried the same in the demo i work on and dont get an issue with the 0.99 vs 1, do you make the change in real time ?

EDIT:
    I tried real time too and dont get a problem as well. The registered lights can only increase in intensity though, wont decrease until new ones have been registered (that is a good idea for an option to handle too)

Also here is the to do list so far:

- 2ond bounces
    - sky sampling
    - inspector rearrangment
    - editor preview for bounce lights, so there is no need for play mode
    - handle moving light source when using a grid (for spot lights and sun where the source also moves)
    - Near main ray sampling, that will grab near colors even if the registered light does not hit the color object due to small size and low lights desnity
    - Allow already registered lights to decrease in intensity if it is changes in real time in the master script (increase is already possible).
    - Grid offset bias based on hero position and orientation, so lights focus in front a the hero in a FPS game for example.
    - Support for instantiating other light types than point (area, Jove 2 etc)
    - Multiple GI light optimizations, addition of Global control for all GI lights (so they dont create overlapping lights in areas that another GI light has already registered them)

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

The new price has been set (40$) and will be activated soon, probably next week, but could also be today

You can still get the pack for introductory 25$ until the store updates the asset

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Secondary Light Bounces incoming !!!!

Since the pack has such amazing reception, i decided to work much faster towards the 2ond bounces

I have setup the code already for the base of the system and will optimize and polish, plus add the proper control options to separate it from the 1st bounces.

I post a pic showing the difference with this first early version, lights are still kept very low, since i still use my light spreading AI faithfully :), and the lights grab a lot extra color information and cover areas that normally the first bounces would not.

I will offer a lot of options to regulate these 2ond bounce lights to get the desired effect.

If anyone wants to test the system as it progresses, i can always send this version for testing (but i would not use for production yet), just leave a written review so i can verify the purshase and i can send the first edition of the 2ond bounces immediately.
    A huge thanks to everyone that supports the pack :)

32. John-G

John-G

After TemplarGFX posted his video showing integration with Gator Environment I purchased straight away. Glad I did as see I got it before the price wet up and now see that a 2nd bounce is about to be implemented. Got myself a bargain:)

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Glad you like it, i will be working on perfecting this as much as possible.

Afterall i will be using it in my game too :), so will get all updates from my tests and production cycle. (pretty much like Particle Dynamic Magic pack that gets updated constantly and every time i discover a new desired use in my game)

34. orb

orb

Glad us buying it helped motivate you. I haven't had time to even try it, just bought it to support future development :)

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, thanks a lot :)

Sales and reviews help with motivation of course, both help me squeeze extra hours on working on the pack among the other projects i run in parallel.

36. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

What type of performance hit is there in adding a second bounce ? I'm assuming it has to add a lot of lights to produce it. It certainly looks nice. It might be worth adding a mode where you can instantiate other types of lights or gameobjects so you can use it with other lighting plugins. This combined with Jove 2 would be incredible. I've already tested Jove 2 with your other particle package and it can cope with 500 particle point lights even on a fairly modest directx 11 graphics chip.

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Strangly enough it just added a few more lights, my light spreading AI has got a life of its own it seems :)

In fact i just realized that this first fast implementation did not cut back on the bounce lights list that cast 2ond bounces, so it is actually a N bounce solution :), just limited by the light spreading method.

It will take much more to get it perfect though, needs to separate bounces and provide control for each (or automate it) and cut back on bounce levels etc

Already registered Bounce Ligths generally are aways checked and new ones dont get added if there are others that cover the area, so it wont add much based on that rule.

Also very nice idea about the extra features, Jove 2 is a very nice system and would be glad to offer support for it (plus see the incredible results from actual implementations :) ).

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is the new to do list:

- 2ond bounces (one the way, the base for N bounces is already working)
    - sky sampling
    - inspector rearrangment
    - editor preview for bounce lights, so there is no need for play mode
    - handle moving light source when using a grid (for spot lights and sun where the source also moves)
    - Near main ray sampling, that will grab near colors even if the registered light does not hit the color object due to small size and low lights desnity
    - Allow already registered lights to decrease in intensity if it is changes in real time in the master script (increase is already possible).
    - Grid offset bias based on hero position and orientation, so lights focus in front a the hero in a FPS game for example.
    - Support for instantiating other light types than point (area, Jove 2 etc) - (Easy to implement, hard to test :) )
    - Multiple GI light optimizations, addition of Global control for all GI lights (so they dont create overlapping lights in areas that another GI light has already registered them)

39. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

That image of the second bounce is great! I cant wait to see this in full effect! If you want anyone to test, I am happy to have a play! (and eager :p)

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sure, i will clean up the scenes a bit more and make some other basic additions and controls and send a PM to everyone interested in testing the early version.

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have collected a number of tips while working with the system, to help out in cases that the result is not the desired one

Tips:

- The current grid implementation is parallel to the ground (x-z axis) and thus will not create a proper grid if the vector from the light source to the target is parallel to the ground. It was initially meant for the directional sun light that can be moved by rotation alone, thus is not yet optimized for a moving sun or a spot light.

One of next versions should handle this and allow a proper grid for all cases, by rotating the grid with the source quaternion.

- There is a paramemeter that will move lights away from the hit point on the surfaces, along the vector between the hit point and GI light source. Increase/decrease this paramamter based on the scene scale, in order to move lights away from hit surfaces and avoid the accumulated light effect of the point lights. Also this can be used to decrease the needed light counts in mobile cases, so you can have less more centralized lights, with increased intensity and radius to cover the space.

Future versions should have support for other systems, like Jove etc so you can have area lights or other to further enchance the effect. Shaderforge will have an area light implementation too and i plan to fully support that, if the light source can be invisible. I think this will work on Unity free too, since in the Unite 2014 was said that it will probably support forward rendering too.

- There is a parameter that will make registered lights follow the last hit surface. This is very valuable for mobile, if resources are very limited, and allows the use for as little as 2-3 lights to get the effect shown in the room demo. Make sure to set the follow speed and distance based on the scene scale, so the light will follow properly and smoothly.

I will add more tips later.

Also some great news :)

The new 2ond bounce mode is almost done !!!, i now have a rather smooth and stable result (just needs some extra separate than the main light options to allow more control).

Very soon i will PM the first beta version of v1.5 to everyone interested :).
    I have to say the 2ond bounces are really cool to have, give a very nice extra touch in both color and realism. Cant wait to see the daytime scene with the new system :)

John-G likes this.
  42. John-G

John-G

Interested in trying out the Beta, do I need to PM you my invoice?

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

If you leave a written review on the asset page and state the linked name there is no need.

That would also tremendously help the pack and its development :)

Otherwise you can email me at artengame@yahoo.com

John-G likes this.
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Tested 2ond bounces in Atrium scene, looks much better and color is more accurate (though i liked the less accurate one as well :) ). I love the fact that the various options can now give many different artistic varieties in the effect, and this is only the beginning to what else could go in there.

Important note !!!!
    The pack has not changed price yet, so will be at 25$ for a few more days (i suppose wont change in the weekend), so grab the pack while the store process is still going :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  45. SteveB

SteveB

Oh dude the second bounce is MUCH better, wow!

(webdemo plz!)

:D

46. SteveB

SteveB

Oh and Purchased! :D

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, plus it grabs colors much better even with lower grid density, which is great for performance

I have also implemented some major optimizations, many looping raycasts are now spread in each frame than done all in every frame and there is a very big increase in performance.

That was required for the 2ond bounce too. The script now is overall much faster than before, even with the 2ond bounces.

Thanks for buying and supporting the pack :)

48. zenGarden

zenGarden

I have a question : does GI works with objects having any shader ? (From the demo it seems it's yes). Great plugin.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

I suppose it works with anything that is compatible with Unity point lights, which is just about everything :). It is made for maximum compatibility and for use in Unity free as well.
    EDIT: The only thing that may have a "problem" is a very custom shader that does not use the "_Color" property or a maintexture property that is not there.

In both cases the script will revert to something else (color if cant find texture etc). If there is any shader that has an issue let me know and i can easilly cover it. I guess that would be very rare though :).

Another thing to consider is that the system uses colliders for placing the GI lights, so again should be compatible with most things, except something very exotic that may not use Unity colliders.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    zenGarden likes this.
  50. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great.
    About 3D scenes, does it works with big levels or it is more suited to small 3D scenes as seen on videos ?