Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[UPDATED] Amplify Motion - Quality vector based motion blur

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Using motion blur in VR with free camera movement is a bit tricky and it does require constant control in some cases. I find that a good way to get around around excessive blur is to set the minimum velocity to a higher value and the motion scale to a lower value.

Have you tried using overlay cameras?

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

This is unexpected but Amplify Motion was selected for a 24h 50% Off Sale. If you saw our earlier posts you may have noticed that we were already having our own 50% Off Month Long sale.

For 24h you can get Amplify Motion for 75% Off, Amplify Color is currently 50% Off.

Amplify Color - Unity Asset Store
    Amplify Motion - Unity Asset Store

Get it while it lasts!

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

That was indeed strange, in the RTP pack sale, i read that they move the price back to the original $90 one before doing the discount, which is the expected in such a case i guess.

It is the 2ond case where an offer overlaps a self make sale, feels very strange that this could be random. I mean the chances to be in a 24h sale is already extremely low, having two such sales fall in two self promotion periods has an almost zero chance.

4. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

No i havent used overlay cameras before... I'll look into it. thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Unfortunately we had no prior warning. Since the sale we were having was only done on our side and not directly controlled by the folks at the Asset Store, I can see why this happened. I'm not entirely sure what is the criteria for 24h Sales. In any case, I strongly recommend developers to take advantage of this offer.

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Yes, I recommend checking it out. It's normally used for FPS games but it might work well enough for other situations.

7. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I guess what I'm looking for is a motion blur on only certain objects, like terrain below me. But they cant react to my head motions at all, sounds like its not possible. even the overlay cameras would blur differently as I move my head right?
    Does Amplify have the ability to blur just an object based on its motion and not the camera or is it all camera based?
    thanks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  8. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Yes, in that case the terrain would still be blurred when you move your head. Being a camera effect it's currently not possible to achieve that level of control. We are looking into other possible control methods and additional enhancements such as a high performing DOF effect; as soon as we have any updates I will contact you.

9. gshape

gshape

Hi! I just got Amplify Motion and got an error below on my iOS build. I have sent an email to you. Could you please kindly help?
    Thanks.

OpenGLES error 0x0502 in /Users/gshape/Documents/UnityGamesDevelopment/IamDemogorgon_Files/IamDemon/I am Demon/Classes/Unity/GlesHelper.mm:329

10. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello

We received your support request via email, the Amplify Motion developer will get back to you during the week.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Our apologies for the delay regarding support. Due to the recent sale we are currently a bit overloaded but we will get back to everyone as soon as possible.

Thanks!

12. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone, we hope you enjoyed our 50% off month long sale. We are nearing the end of our promotion but we would like to show our appreciation for your support with a giveaway for any developers still looking to Amplify their game.

Amplify Motion & Color Free Giveaway

We have 4 Licenses available, to register for this free giveaway simply send us a screenshot of your project (or concept) to sales@amplify.pt using the subject Giveaway. Be sure to let us know if you prefer to receive Color or Motion, quantities are limited.

The winners will be randomly selected on January 31.

Thank you for supporting our products, you can still acquire both products at a discounted price until the end of the month. Anyone who wishes to participate is eligible for a Unity Asset Store license, products will be provided via voucher.

Current Sale: Blog Post

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Mauri likes this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

I run a 780ti and a 4770k all maxed out and overclocked. I haven't seen a game I can't play on Ultra 1440p yet. But rendering a small mobile sized window at mobile quality settings and lowest possible quality setting on the component,
    amplify motion takes up over 4ms of frame time. This I think is wrong and there's a bug somewhere in the Unity 5 implementation.

14. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Hi, I recently played with using Amplify Motion in my space game, just to see how it'd look. Though it's maybe not the ideal use case for the product, it's still pretty cool.

The only issue I've run into is that with the effect on, lens flares look blown out.

The top image is what a lens flare in my game normally looks like; the bottom one is with Amplify Motion enabled:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u9dbk518jzlp1i/LensFlare.png?dl=0

Any ideas what could be going on? I'm using linear lighting, if that makes a difference.

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hi,

That is quite weird, we are going to look into into asap. Does it happen with any other similar post-effects?

Thanks

16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Does placing AM at the bottom level of your camera components fix the issue? We had some artifacts caused by high range values so we are currently clamping those values. You should place AM after any Tone Mapping components. Let me know if that is not the case and what components do you currently have in your camera.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks

17. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone!

We are happy to announce the giveaway winners. Initially we promised 4 Licenses but due to the amount of entries we decided to push the number to 7. Thank you for all the emails, definitely a lot of awesome projects out there.

The winners are:

Forgotten Key

Wintercell Studios

Steven Wendel

Allen Trivette

Matt Radford

Baran Kahyaoglu

Daniel Flanigan

You will receive your Voucher in the next hour.

Thank you for participating, now go create something awesome! We are always on the lookout for projects to feature and promote.

18. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Thanks for the reply! The Amplify Motion component is already the bottom component, though at the moment I'm not using HDR or tone mapping anyway.

The only active components on that camera are the "flare layer" and a glow asset called Glow 11. I tried it with Glow 11 inactivated, and it didn't make any difference. So it still does that when it's the only active image effect. I have a bunch of inactive image effects on the camera; I assume those wouldn't cause issues.

The camera that has effects on it is camera #3 in a stack of six cameras with different depth values. Again, I assume that's not significant, but I thought I'd mention it.

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Do you experience any issues using a simple new camera with Glow 11 and AM? Would it be possible to test a sample with the problem present? Any additional info such as Unity version tested, target platform and current OS would really help with the debug process.

Feel free to get in touch via support@amplify.pt, we would be happy to help.

Thanks

20. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

OK, I'll continue via that e-mail address. I was able to reproduce the issue pretty easily in a small project. The lens flare thing happens when using linear color space and having the Amplify Motion effect active.

21. dttngan91

dttngan91

Does it work with sprite 2d ? :-s

22. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Longtime User here, you might still rember me and my weird problems at the beginning :)

Anyway, I am pretty happy with Amplify Motion (with one notable exception), but recently a weird bug popped up.

I added a mesh, and for some reason this mesh is excluded from the effect. Now, this effect is quite obvious as the mesh in question is the floor of an underground tunnel. So every time you drive by on top of it and the camera looks at the terrain under which this mesh is situated, you can see the "outline" of the tunnel floor mesh as the Amplify Motion effect is not applied to that exact region of the terrain (if you get what I mean).

Now, the really weird thing is, this is the second version of the same mesh. Its pretty much the same polygon mesh, I had to reimport it and rebake it to my 3D Modelling tool to get rid of some nasty UV Artefacts caused by the way I built the mesh. That worked fine, but now I get this problem with the newer version of the mesh.
    The Original version, which is also still in the scene and just deactivated (which makes testing this bug easy) is not showing any sign of this problem. Same polygons, same shader applied, same layer... pretty much everything is the same with the exception of the UVs and maybe normals being changed.

Can you give me any pointers as to what could cause such behaviour. I am not 100% how Amplify Motion detects what should be excluded from the effect, that is why I am asking.

Another thing:
    I notice the effect does not recognize when a mesh excluded from the effect (the vehicle) is occluded b a mesh that should have the effect applied. This is why I noticed the strange problem above, but it is also visible when a vehicle (a mesh that should be excluded from the effect) is being partly occluded.
    Is there anything I can do so the effect only applies it to the right part of the image? So that the occluded parts of the excluded mesh do not get excluded from the effect?

Thanks in advance for any help. And, because positive feedback is sometimes hard to get on the web: apart from the mentioned problems, your effect has been rock stable for a year now. Still impressed with it.

Gian-Reto

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Amplify Motion. At the moment it's not possible to use our vector based motion blur effect on actual Sprite Components.

Thank you for considering our product, we hope you find it useful in future projects.

24. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

I don't want to sound impatient, but is this the right channel to ask my question above? Or should I contact someone from your team via e-mail?

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hi there, sorry about the delay. For customer priority support it's best to contact us directly at support@amplify.pt.

Regarding the first issue, assuming that the problem is not related to the Layer setup, would it be possible to test a sample on our side? It would really help debug the problem. Flipped normals comes to mind as a possible cause for the problem but it's just a guess without actually looking at the project setup and mesh.

On the second issue, if you pause the application does the occluding object have a Amplify Motion Object Component?

I would recommend getting in touch via our support email with a simple example of the issues.

Thanks

26. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi

I will try to reproduce the problem. I don't think flipped normals could be the problem as the mesh has single sided polygons, and they seem to point in the right direction.

About the second issue... I will check.

Thanks for the quick support, I'll contact the support e-mail in the future.

Gian-Reto

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, we would be happy to help.

28. punk

punk

Hi Ricardo,

I recently updated my project to unity 5 RC1 and now I'm getting the following error
    I deleted the package and re-import just to make sure, so its all stock settings any idea what the problem could be??

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AmplifyMotion.SkinnedState.UpdateTransform (Boolean starting) (at Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/SkinnedState.cs:372)
    AmplifyMotionObjectBase.OnUpdateTransform (.AmplifyMotionCamera owner, Boolean starting) (at Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/AmplifyMotionObjectBase.cs:195)
    AmplifyMotionCamera.UpdateTransform () (at Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/AmplifyMotionCamera.cs:157)
    AmplifyMotionEffectBase.OnPreRender () (at Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/AmplifyMotionBase.cs:739)

Thanks
    Taz

29. punk

punk

&
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AmplifyMotion.SkinnedState.Initialize () (at Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/SkinnedState.cs:61)
    AmplifyMotionObjectBase.TryInitialize () (at Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/AmplifyMotionObjectBase.cs:174)
    AmplifyMotionObjectBase.Update () (at Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/AmplifyMotionObjectBase.cs:188)

30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello Taz,

Interesting, do you get any additional Unity messages regarding invalid Bones or Meshes without using Amplify Motion? I'm wondering if the problem is related to a specific Asset.

Thanks

31. punk

punk

Hey Ricardo,

It's certainly possible, it's a big project (30GB+), although there are no errors if I turn off Amplify Motion. It was working perfect in beta 18, which makes me think that something has changed in RC1, I was hoping it was maybe something you were aware of, but I will see if I can figure it out this week, its not mega urgent as the finish date for the game is a while off, does it work for you in RC1 & RC2?

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello Taz,

Thank you for the additional information. I see, it might be a bit tricky to send us a sample with the problem but if you could isolate the problem down to a specific model/scene that would really help with the debug process.

We have seen similar issues in the past, some of the errors were indeed caused by AM and were promptly fixed. Given the generic nature of the errors it’s hard to tell if it’s an undiscovered AM bug or if it’s simply caused by something else.

After you reported the problem we did a few tests with several types of asset, including all animation types provided by Unity and unfortunately we were not able to replicate the problem on RC2.

Do you think it would be possible to send us a sample? Get in touch via support@amplify.pt, all project data exchanged is confidential, NDA available.

Thanks

33. punk

punk

Thanks Ricardo, I will do

34. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Do you happen to be using any 3rd party Animation/IK system or batching related tools? Any additional info that might help us reproduce the issue is most welcome.

Thanks

35. punk

punk

Hey Ricardo,

I found the culprit, not sure how, but there was a skinnedRenderer sitting in the hierarchy that had a null root bone, once I removed it, it fixed the problem, thanks again for looking into it for me and sorry for wasting your time, great product ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  36. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello Taz,

I was just about to get back to you regarding Final IK, we checked with another user and it works great with AM. Happy to know you were able to find the cause of the problem, let us know if your run into any other issues we would be happy to help.

No waste at all it's great to get some direct feedback, it really helps us tweak and improve our products.

Thanks!

37. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplified by our vector based motion blur solution, NEXUS: One Core is an indie arcade game for one or two players in which each player controls a spaceship trough a series of fast paced mazes. Immersive DnB Music, several game modes, leaderboards and customizable ships.

Amplify Motion - Download Trial

NEXUS: One Core by Plug In Digital, now available on Steam.​

38. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Any way to make sure Amplify very thoroughly does not blur a mesh? I've got register objects off, I do not register the mesh, and it is on a layer that does not get processed. Yet it still blurs the mesh.

This is particularly problematic because it's an invisible shadow caster mesh of the players head that occupies the same space as the camera but isn't supposed to be seen and only cast a shadow. Amplify produces a constant ripple where the head is located if it is turned on. This is on Beta 5 RC3 also. Any ideas?

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

In the Mesh Renderer Component of this particular model is the "Cast Shadows" option set to "Shadows Only"? That should do it, let us know if the problem persists we would be happy to help.

Thanks

40. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Nope because that option is for the whole mesh only. In this case I want some of the materials on the mesh to be rendered (the body) and some to be rendered as a shadow caster only (the head). I do this through a shader since Unity doesn't allow me to set that option per mat.

41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Our apologies for the delayed reply, it’s been a hectic GDC week with the announcement of the Free Unity 5 version. We would love to help you solve the problem, unfortunately we have not tried that method yet and given that there are probably a couple of ways to achieve that effect we are unsure of which one we should test.

It would be really great if you could elaborate or even share the shader & model used, would that be a possibility? Using our confidential support email of course, we are also available to sign a NDA if required.

Thanks

42. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Importing Amplify Motion to my Unity 5 scene gives these two errors:

Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/AmplifyMotionEffect.cs(9,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `AmplifyMotionEffect'

Assets/AmplifyMotion/Plugins/AmplifyMotionEffect.cs(9,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `AmplifyMotionEffect'

43. AmplifyCreations

AmplifyCreations

Are you upgrading from 1.3.1 or an earlier version?

We've accidentally submitted a package with mismatched meta files for Unity 5, which causing duplicate files at import. The mismatched package was already removed but we're waiting for Asset Store approval. In the meantime, please don't upgrade to Amplify Motion 1.3.2 if you're using Unity 5. Unity 3 and 4 are upgrading fine, but not Unity 5.

We're hoping the approval will happen as soon as possible. We'll keep you posted.

44. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi everyone,

We're still having a few technical difficulties, please hold off updating to the latest version (1.3.2) until we sort them out.

--- edit
    Upgrade issues have been resolved and we're just waiting for Asset Store approval.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Kind regards

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hiya, wondered if there's any ETA regarding the HDR->LDR issues you spoke about earlier?

46. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi hippocoder,

Another update is planned for next week to bring back both HDR and Unity 5 Cloth support, which was held back an iteration due to lack time for proper testing. Might take a bit longer depending on the Asset Store approval cycle.

We do have a long list of enhancements that we're planning for 2.0 and we realize the updates have been slow and lacking. Starting in April, however, we'll have a new programmer joining us full-time, who will certainly help speed things up and release updates more frequently.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    adventurefan, Don-Gray and hippocoder like this.
  47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's great news, thanks :)

48. cakeslice

cakeslice

Hi, I'm trying Amplify Motion and I would like to know if it's possible to make Amplify only update the velocity buffer when FixedUpdate() has been called.

The issue I have is that sometimes Update() can be called twice after a FixedUpdate() and in the second frame the velocity buffer will "think" everything is staying still which causes a very noticeable stutter.

Thanks.

49. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi cakeslice,

We're updating some on FixedUpdate and others on Update, depending on whether they require interpolation or not.

Even though we might have a timing problem affecting motion scale for non-interpolated rigidbodies - which I've just scheduled to have a look at before the next update - if your problem is related to Rigidbodies, enabling Rigidbody Interpolation should fix the problem.

If not, then please share the case you're dealing with, so we can build a test for it and fix any potential problems.

Cheers

50. cakeslice

cakeslice

Yes, rigidbody interpolation would fix the problem, but I can't enable it since I'm using a character controller. As for a visual interpolation, that would cause input delay and is not an option.