Search Unity

[FREE] Amplify Color - Advanced Color Grading

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

2. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@Amplify,

Very nice plugin.

I went through the written tutorials and got a bit lost at the color volumes.

It would be totally awesome if the following topics in a demo project and video tutorial.

1. Volume creation and placement best practice ?
    2. how to do the blending ?
    3. how to setup trigger to change colors going from one volume to another ?
    4. Providing demo templates for various color grading look and feel that is used for games.

Cheers.

3. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

@rocki

1. Volume creation and placement best practice ?

Depends on the type of project but Color Volumes are very flexible, the best way is to try it out. They can be moved, rotated, animated and even created in runtime. You can place them freely even if they intersect, although we would advise you to add them to their own specific layer.

2. how to do the blending ?

With Volumes? Simple add a Lut to the Volume and set its blending time, don't forget to turn on “Use Volumes” in your Camera Amplify Color Script. In the near future we will also add distance based blending.

3. how to setup trigger to change colors going from one volume to another ?

Not sure what you mean here, the Volumes already do that, please elaborate or get in touch with support@amplify.pt

4. Providing demo templates for various color grading look and feel that is used for games.

Definitely something we will be doing, more examples and color profiles soon, stay tuned @amplifycreates.

4. Z43D

Z43D

Hey Amplify, just wanted to say that Amplify Color is sick! Especially the latest color volumes, so easy to use and provide an awesome effect :)

5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome, glad you liked it. Be sure to send us some info on your projects, we can help promote them.

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

7. fanjules

fanjules

Wow, that's an awesome achievement, I would never have guessed a one-man effort!

8. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome project, can't wait to play it!

Our doors are open if you have a project you would like us to promote ;)

9. bchevalier

bchevalier

hey Ricardo,

I forgot to thank you for the update.
    Just bought Amplify Color, runs super smoothly with volumes on iPhone, amazing job !

ben

10. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for supporting our products ;)

Stay tuned @amplifycreates, we have new Volume related features coming in the next update.

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We took the liberty to build a quick sample on how to generate dynamic masks when using Amplify Color.

Download the Amplify Color Mask Sample project here or visit the manual page.

You'll note, once you load the project, that it works by using a second camera to render objects on a "Color Mask" layer using a very simple unlit color shader, e.g. white on black background (or vice versa), into a "Color Mask" Render Texture. This texture is assigned to the Mask property of Amplify Color, in order for the effect to work.

12. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Wow, Super Awesome.

You took the liberty and gave us Freedom.

13. fanjules

fanjules

What is the purpose of a dynamic mask? Can you give some example scenarios?

14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

@rocki

Nice! Enjoy ;)

@fanjules

It really depends on your project but it opens up a lot of possibilities. It allows you to achieve more stylized looks such as the movie Sin City or 300 for example, although this is an extreme case it should give you an idea of what can be achieved through its flexibility.

You could also use it for more practical effects, depending on the project, selective screen based effects such as damage fx or similar and even more complex effects where you could combine masks in order to apply the effect to specific areas of your scene.

15. fanjules

fanjules

Ah thanks, I understand now. :)

16. bchevalier

bchevalier

This is Awesome !!!

17. RyuuzakiBjorn

RyuuzakiBjorn

I downloaded the trial from your website and whenever I try and send the file to photoshop or simply save the reference, it crashes Unity. Is there a workaround?
    - R

18. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

The crash is definitely not supposed to happen. Do you mind providing some info? Specifically:

- What version of Unity and Photoshop are you testing?
    - Are you testing on Windows or OSX?

19. RyuuzakiBjorn

RyuuzakiBjorn

It also happens when I save the file as apposed to sending it to photoshop.
    Photoshop version: CS6
    Windows: 7 (Home Premium)

20. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Is there any chance you can provide the Editor.log file? It should be located at "C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor".

If you can, please forward it to us at support@amplify.pt. It would be highly appreciated.

This could help us sort out the problem. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

21. RyuuzakiBjorn

RyuuzakiBjorn

My Editor.Log isn't there, or in any of my Unity folders but I copied over what windows said when it crashed. I have emailed. Sorry about this, seems like a weird error.
    - R

22. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Alloy 2.0 is now available, we highly recommend that you try it out. A new demo powered by Alloy 2 is also available, click the image bellow and forge your own Blade.

A quick reminder, Amplify Texture 2 will natively support Alloy 2.0 and other select 3rd party frameworks.

23. TopThreat

TopThreat

If you guys weren't out of my price range as an indie hobbiest I would buy all of your offerings lol. <3 amplify color!!

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks Lee ;)

Stay tuned @amplifycreates, in the future we might have something right for you and many other indie developers.

25. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Awesome.

26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify Color is not just for 3d games, flexible and robust it covers all your 2d game requirements. Check out this awesome project by Free Lives, an independent game design studio based in Cape Town, South Africa .

You play as 80′s and 90′s action heroes waging war against terror in almost entirely destructible nostalgic settings. Incredibly fun to play , amazing visuals, sound and VFX.

Broforce

Amplify Color - Unity Asset Store

Fully functional watermarked trial version - Download

27. alx.leiva

alx.leiva

Guys this is just fantastic!
    I just wanted to know if it is or it will be Oculus supported

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Glad you like it ;)

Yes, it’s compatible, just be sure that the Amplify Color Effect is applied before OVRCamera component:

We recently added a dynamic mask example (VR/Normal) to our Manual, check it out in our Website.

29. Theformand

Theformand

We might pick this up for our next production.

Quick question, though. Would you be able to switch between different luts in a game with a static overview camera (think static RTS)?

From your latest video, I'm guessing you could just have an offscreen proxy object, and move that between 6-8 different Color Volumes via script?

EDIT: Im also curious to hear from peoples mobile experiences with this?

30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hi, thank you for considering Amplify Color. It should work quite well, you can easily change luts at runtime using the volume/proxy combination or directly via script with the “BlendTo” function.

We recently introduced a Mobile specific quality mode that allows you to achieve even higher levels of performance but it’s best that you try it out and see if it’s right for your project.

Fully functional watermarked trial version - Download

31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you all for the great support, we are overwhelmed with the amount of users and feedback we have received since we first released in 2011.

Amplify Color's development arose from the need to connect directly to existing pipelines, be it Photoshop, Nuke, After Effects, the Free version of DaVinci Resolve and so on, with the ultimate purpose of running flawlessly and without compromising quality, on Desktop, Mobile Consoles.

It allows users to quickly use any software required with the File Mode, it also connects directly to Photoshop (+80% of games are graded in Photoshop), it delivers both in working color grading proficiency and pipeline flexibility. There is no need to learn how to use new tools, users can use what they already know for maximum productivity. In short, Amplify Color grading allows you to grade the way you want, adapting to your workflow and not the other way around.

Quality - Performance - Multiplatform Portability - Mobile/Console Ready Optimized

Join thousands of other developers that made the change. We offer fully functional Trial Versions of all our products and our support team is ready to guide you through any subject you might want to discuss.

Not long ago we released our Volume update but we have some new exciting updates/functionalities coming in the next weeks. Stay tuned, it will be worth the wait. @amplifycreates

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

34. Justei

Justei

Hi there!
    Let me start out by saying that we absolutely LOVE amplify color, however we are having some problems :/.

Currently when we try to build with amplify, for some reason in builds it doesn't work at all.

Here's some info:

Platform: Windows 32bit

Camera has the following post processing effects on:
    SSAOEffect, Bloom and Lens flares, Amplify Color, Depth of field scatter, Antialiasing as post effect.

We are using Volumes as well.
    And we have also already tried disabling Depth of field and Antialiasing, also we tried using the "fastest" setting, to see if Anti aliasing in unity was causing problems with Amplify, which did not help.

The quality settings can be seen in this picture: http://imgur.com/oDSPqS6

I wish to point out that we are using a fully legit and updated version of Unity PRO. So that should not be the problem :).

Thanks!

35. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi Justei,

Thanks for taking the time to report the issue.

Is AC not working on the editor too, or just the builds?
    Is Amplify Color the only post-effect not working as expected?
    Does the problem remain once you disable the volumes? Does using a basic LUT, without blending or Volumes work?

If you could send us the log file generated by the player after you run the build, it could help us track down the issue. Please send us the file, if you can, to support@amplify.pt

36. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

37. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  38. gecko

gecko

I just tried the Trial version, and it looks great in the Editor, but on an iPad, the camera rendering is black, and xcode log is spammed with this:
    OpenGLES error 0x0502 in .....Classes/Unity/GlesHelper.mm:316

I found some threads on this, and tried checking "32-bit display buffer," but that kills frame rate. So what can I do?

39. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi Dave,

What iPad hw version, as well as Unity version, are you testing on?
    Do you have anti-aliasing enabled?

40. gecko

gecko

iPad 2, with iOS 7. Unity 4.3.3 (Mac Mavericks). Anti-aliasing is off.

41. gecko

gecko

FWIW, the same thing happens with the trial version of Amplify Motion.

I do have two main cameras (for near and far views) (plus GUI camera)--I've put the amplify effect on just the near camera. Would that be a problem?

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We are happy to announce a new version of Amplify Color. In this new update we expanded our volume based functionalities and we now support volume based 3rd party effects and custom events. We also improved overall performance, added the ability to blend Base Lut’s with Volume Lut’s and added specific optimizations for overlapping volumes. Amplify Color is now open to everyone, the standard version includes all the required source files in order to develop new functionalities or to expand existing ones.

Stay tuned we included a special preview near the end of this video.

Update Overview

Visit our product page for more information, fully functional trials available: Amplify Product Page

Amplify Color is available in the Unity Asset Store: Asset Store Page

Features:

• Industry level color grading
    • Semi-automated Photoshop workflow
    • File-based workflow for any other Image Editor
    • Dynamic blending between profiles
    • Texture-based per-pixel masking
    • All Color Alterations Supported
    • Oculus/VR friendly
    • Color Volumes
    • Performance/Mobile Mode
    • NEW! More Source Code
    • NEW! Third-party Effects Volume Blending
    • NEW! Better Volume detection accuracy
    • NEW! Base and Volume LUT mixing
    • NEW! Unity 5 support

**We also updated our customer showcase, check it out!

Special thanks to Thomas Hourdel, maker of Colorful - Image Effects. We definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a flexible and high-quality image effect package, check it out in the Unity Asset Store.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  43. gecko

gecko

Can you advise us at all on the error I described above? (on iPad 2, iOS 7, no anti-aliasing)

OpenGLES error 0x0502 in .....Classes/Unity/GlesHelper.mm:316

44. ruslite

ruslite

Hello. Why on mobile phone anti-aliasing with "amplify color" not work? Without "amplify color" anti-aliasing work.

45. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Our apologies for the delay, there seems to be a problem with the forum notifications after the latest update.

The developer responsible for technical support will post here as soon as possible. For direct support, contact support@amplify.pt.

46. gecko

gecko

To clarify: We get this error only when using a special 2-camera setup. I have tested a simple, standard setup and it works fine on iPad.

47. ruslite

ruslite

48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello ruslite

What I mean is that you would have gotten a reply sooner but unfortunately due to an issue with the forum watched thread notifications we only saw your post yesterday.

We are currently looking into the issues described, the developer responsible for technical support will post here as soon as possible.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  49. ruslite

ruslite

My question was "Why on mobile phone anti-aliasing with" amplify color "not work? Without" amplify color "anti-aliasing work". You do not answer me.

50. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Hi ruslite,

Yes. Amplify Color works with MSAA on mobile, like any other effect. There have been some reported issues with performance when combining image effects that may require a workaround. Not sure if the issue has been fixed yet.

Regardless, I'll have a look at it this weekend to make sure everything is up to par.

Cheers