Search Unity

[Resolved in new beta 5.5] 5.5xb2 closes with no crash report

Discussion in 'Linux' started by awwolfe, Sep 22, 2016.

1. awwolfe

awwolfe

I am experiencing 5.5xb2 closing without it generating the crash report dialog. Further, I need to go into my projects temp folder and delete the UnityLockfile before the editor will let me reopen the project. I am guessing it is related to a specific prefab or scene file corruption, but tracking it down without some logging is difficult, since the crashing/closing seems semi-random...usually after attempting to hit play, but not always, sometimes on a save scene. Further, sometimes it runs for 30-40 minutes, other times it crashes every 10.

I've narrowed down the prefabs a bit to which ones might be causing issues, but not sure how to fix the prefab file or identify what might be wrong with it....assuming this was the problem all along.

I've been waiting for the next build/release, hoping that would fix it or potentially going back to the latest 5.4 f build as the closing is becoming more and more hindersome, but thought if there was some troubleshooting I could do, I'd rather and maybe help out the new Linux Editor build in the process (if I find something that wasn't me).

Thanks,

2. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Check the log file (~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log) if it provides any relevant info (most likely at the bottom of the file).

3. awwolfe

awwolfe

even with viewing hidden files/folders I'm not seeing this file in /opt/Unity/Editor or subfolders. I don't see it in /var/log or in Unity project folder.
    Searching the entire filesystem doesn't find any Editor.log
    The only unity3d on the filesystem is /opt/Unity/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/Source/com/unity3d

Where is it supposed to be? Thanks.

4. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

It is located in your home folder. Reveal the hidden files and enter the ".config" directory, then the "unity3d" folder.

You can also press control+L and paste the path.

5. awwolfe

awwolfe

Awesome, thank you.

Pasted is the last of the file where is shows anything odd....
    Interesting that it says "Launching Bug Reporter", yet the bug reporter never actually launces. I know that I have seen it before (on Linux), but not in any of the recent issues I'm having.

I noticed the reference to MenuItems near the beginning of the problem.. I have 2 editor utility scripts that create a menu item (one for seeing all gamebojects and removing them if need be-- have had issues where gameobjects are in scene but never show in hierarchy and needed this to remove them from the scene. Second utility script normalizes and rescales based on parent. The first script has been in the project for a long time--potentially issue? --timing, the second one was recently added and was after the crashing started.)

I can remove the first one and see if any improvements, but please let me know if log files indicates anything else I should/could look at.

Thanks,

Dereferencing NULL PPtr!
    (Filename: ./Runtime/BaseClasses/PPtr.h Line: 257)

Receiving unhandled NULL exception
    #0 0x007ffc18000c80 in funlockfile
    #1 0x007ffc18001230 in AssetsMenu::CanDeleteSelectedAssets()
    #2 0x007ffc18001360 in AssetsMenu::Validate(MenuItem const&)
    #3 0x007ffc180013e0 in ValidateSubMenu(std::list<MenuItem, std::allocator<MenuItem> >*)
    #4 0x007ffc18001400 in AddSubMenuItems(void*, std::list<MenuItem, std::allocator<MenuItem> >*)
    #5 0x007ffc180014d0 in RebuildOSMenu()
    #6 0x007ffc18001560 in CallbackArray::Invoke()
    #7 0x007ffc18001580 in MonoManager::SetupLoadedEditorAssemblies()
    #8 0x007ffc180018d0 in MonoManager::EndReloadAssembly(DomainReloadingData const&, dynamic_bitset)
    #9 0x007ffc18001c10 in MonoManager::ReloadAssembly(dynamic_bitset, bool)
    #10 0x007ffc18001cb0 in ReloadAllUsedAssemblies(bool)
    #11 0x007ffc18001d00 in Application::TickTimer()
    #12 0x007ffc18001e70 in MainMessageIteration(void*)
    #13 0x007ffc18001e80 in g_main_context_dispatch
    #14 0x007ffc18001f10 in g_main_context_dispatch
    #15 0x007ffc18001f70 in g_main_loop_run
    #16 0x007ffc18001fa0 in gtk_main
    #17 0x007ffc18002020 in main
    #18 0x007ffc180023c0 in __libc_start_main
    #19 0x007ffc18002480 in _start
    Launching bug reporter
    /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/UsbDevices.cpp:UsbDevicesQuery
    /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/UndoPlatformDependent.cpp:SetUndoMenuNamePlatformDependent
    /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/UndoPlatformDependent.cpp:SetUndoMenuNamePlatformDependent

6. awwolfe

awwolfe

No luck. Removed my custom Editor script, but still crashing, not launching Bug reporter, still showing the same output in Editor.log.

Not sure I could do much, but where would I find PPtr.h? or is it buried in a pre-compiled file?

7. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

I'm assuming it's pre-compiled into the engine, so you can't access it... Does the same happen with a fresh (new) project?

8. awwolfe

awwolfe

Yes and no. First, problem appears to occur at random times (but usually on a save scene or play), it is difficult to nail down. If I start a new fresh project, the Editor seems fine, but as I import more assets from my project, I'll start getting issues again. I haven't been able to pin point a specific prefab or asset....which is why I was wondering about a tool to validate prefabs/scenes or something.

Short of starting from scratch, importing a single asset/prefab at a time and spend an hour or two playing inside the Editor (can't be productive since not the entire project I'm working on), I haven't been able to figure out which prefabs/scenes might be causing issue. I was hopeful the custom Editor script was doing it, as it sorta made sense if non-recoverable error occuring on an Editor menu rebuild or something.

Trying to rebuild all prefabs from scratch would also be very time-consuming and unless I spent a lot of time playing (again, can't be productive without full project) in the Editor I'd never really know if when it was safe to go to the next prefab.

I've deleted all temp/library/project files. Created new project and imported all assets from exported unitypackage. Everytime, when I get the project back to near where it started, I end up with the same issue.

My assumption (which may be wrong) is a bad prefab file...which is why I was hoping a validation tool or a log file would help point me in a better direction.

9. awwolfe

awwolfe

I started a new scene with none of the previous prefabs and no prefabs/scripts/objects from any other versions/git merges. After awhile it started doing the same thing...crashing/closing without bug reporter and same text in Editor.log.

I'm on Linux Mint 18, not sure what else to check to troubleshoot.

10. Tak

Tak

The fix for this one is coming in the next beta build.

11. awwolfe

awwolfe

Great. Thank you. I'll live with it. Please let me know if you ever need me to check/test something out on Linux for you. Would love to participate to improve Linux side. Happy to do so....would also help me understand the Unity system as well, I'm sure.

12. seyacat

seyacat