Search Unity

5.4 OS X performance issue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by p-seba, Aug 1, 2016.

1. p-seba

p-seba

Hello,
    I just downloaded final 5.4 version in hope, the horrible performance I got in beta is fixed.
    Unfortunately, with new retina resolution UI, my in-editor fps dropped for about 80% from last 5.3 version. On forum a found this thread

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/retina-gameview-too-slow-on-macbook-pro.392429/

But even if I set lower res for UI, as its suggested in that thread (Which is even lower compared to 5.3 "Default low" resolution), FPS is still lower than in 5.3.
    (I accidentaly removed rest of post by editing grrrr....)

Edit: In profiler there is 53% of "Unaccounted". Similar as guy here
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1223739/54-profiler-and-unaccounted.html

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Shushustorm and MrEsquire like this.
  2. greg-harding

greg-harding

Shushustorm and MrEsquire like this.
  3. p-seba

p-seba

Thanks,
    I know about this (I wrote about it in my post, but then accidentaly removed it when i post that edited line, my bad).
    The problem is that even when I set 5.4 to lower resolution UI, the fps was still lower than in 5.3.
    I noticed that 5.4 set on low res got little lower resolution for editor than it was in default 5.3, so it's little bit weird when I got lower fps on lower resolution.

Then I little bit played with settings and vsync, and now I got stable 60fps in retina resolution 5.4!
    Don't know what caused my first fps drop (when i had like ~35 fps (It wasn't caused by some fps lock, because my macbook was really hot, and now isn't))

4. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

I also ran into high "Unaccounted" usage!
    Could you explain how to disable retina resolution for the editor?
    I didn't find anything like that in the editor settings.

5. p-seba

p-seba

Right click on unity icon > Get Info > Open in lowe resolution (It's like OS X feature, not unity)

Try to disable anti-aliasign in quality settings, it helped a lot! (anti-aliasign is pretty useless on retina displays)

Shushustorm likes this.
  6. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Thanks a lot! I just tried it, but lowering the resolution looks even worse than the editor looked like in 5.2.2.
    Also, by creating a completely new project, I figured out that the issue is not about screen resolution (at least not for me). Because a new scene with some objects in it doesn't show high "Unaccounted" values. Will have to try disabling anti-aliasing in the project that shows this issue, though.

7. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Alright, I just updated a project and I run into a huge performance issue that actually _is_ related to Unity's resolution.
    It goes away if I set the resolution to low.

This is what the profiler looks like when using high resolution:
    screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

Low resolution looks really bad, though (worse than in previous builds).
    Anybody help? Please fix this?

This happens on a recent device: Macbook Pro 2015, 2,8 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.11.6.
    Unity version used: 5.4.0f3 (recent build)

8. greg-harding

greg-harding

Running without high-res support in 5.4 didn't immediately look bad enough to compare with earlier versions of the editor but I'll take a look at our projects. It was terrible performance that was the showstopper for us. Our current project is running deferred rendering and I'm not using the image effects in the scene view (new 5.4 feature). It might be different with the forward renderer and/or if you're enabling effects while editing.

Paired with Xamarin (we haven't used MonoDevelop for a few years), developing on OSX is a bit sluggish all round. We recently got a PC to test on and it's another world of performance in the editor and Visual Studio. I've tried Visual Studio Code on OSX but debugging is buggy, so I stuck with Xamarin even though it currently cannot debug. I haven't checked out the recently shipped MonoDevelops again yet, or some of the other alternative editors in a while. Being able to debug on OSX sure would be handy. It was great when debugging in Xamarin was supported for about 2 months last year, which was an improvement from 2 years of beachballing when attaching MonoDevelop :)