Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

5.4 Beta Bug: Mecanim next state interupt source to empty state

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by kierand, Apr 5, 2016.

1. kierand

kierand

We have found an issue in the 5.4 beta which is present from b10->b13. We have submitted this as a bug and is case number 785852.

When using Mecanim if you are using a layer above the base layer and transitioning to an empty state with an interruption source set to “Next State” the layer still has influence on the character even though the state machine shows the empty state has been entered.

There are simple reproduction steps detailed in attached PDF.

I would be interested if anyone else has encountered this issue and has perhaps found a work-around.

Thanks,
    Kieran

Attached Files:

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to make such a detailed bug report.

We will investigate this as soon as possible. Sadly, I cannot suggest a workaround (besides the obvious "can you use other modes or crossfade?") before investigating this more deeply.

3. dndy

dndy

Is there an update on when this will be resolved? b16 has just been released and there is still no fix.

There are no viable workarounds for us in this instance. Thanks in advance

4. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

It is still unfixed.

I understand that this issue has been a problem for you, but we're going through issues by order of priority (number of reports, does it crash or not, is it in a stable version or in a beta, and so on), and we haven't gotten to this one yet.

When a fix is found for it and submitted, you should get an email notification.
    After you get an email notification that the bug has been resolved, the fix still has to make it through the QA and release process, which takes roughly two to three weeks. If you look for your bug number in the versions changelog, you'll see it.

Bad news is, since we haven't yet started working on it, I would say the best possible ETA is about a month. Good news is, it's sitting at the top of our pile right now.

5. dndy

dndy

That's really disappointing news, there is no upside in this at all for us.

What it means is right now we cannot ship our product (imminently due in FQA at SCEE) with this glaring defect, nor is it something you can patch.

edit: regression to a previous non broken version (& workaround) isn't an option due to other fixes being essential. ho hum

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. theprotonfactor

theprotonfactor

It may be a cliché but betas are for testing not shipping products...

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. dndy

dndy

Agreed, however there was no option but to take 5.4 due to PS4 performance improvements, previous versions were not good enough. And as per 'gamedev' the patches fixed other things that had been broken.

C'est la vie... still disappointing

8. theprotonfactor

theprotonfactor

I suppose it comes down to risk management from what you're saying... Your only real option then is to somehow rework the animations if it all possible. Hard luck man.

9. dndy

dndy

Has this bug now been fixed in the latest patch?

The release notes address some other specific animation issues, but 785852 isn't directly referenced?

Thanks in advance

10. kierand

kierand

This is not fixed in b19. I took the time to download and verify myself over the weekend.

This is now a huge blocker for us. Please can we get an update on the fix for this issue?

Thanks,

Kieran

11. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

Hi guys, the bug is fixed in b21

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. kierand

kierand

That is great news. Many thanks for giving us an update. I'm assuming we are back to the normal weekly release cycle (after the 2 week gap for b19) which should mean that b21 should be with us next week?

13. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

it always depends on many factor so it hard to give exact date but it should be the next one after b20 ;)

14. kierand

kierand

This is fixed in b21!