Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.3 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunzaga

Bunzaga

Is there any word about when dynamic navmesh generation will be allowed (outside of the editor)? For example, if I want to dynamically assemble a random number of prefabs, with a random number of walls/doors, and they are all connected. I've been using a plugin RAIN AI, but I was hoping for and looking forward to a native implementation.

EDIT: I've attached an image to show an example of what I mean. The scene is empty inside the editor. When I press play, a dungeon is generated using prefabs, and the navmesh is calculated dynamically based on the room connections. I would just use the RAIN AI package, but I only need the navmesh stuff and not everything else it comes with. Also, I like the behavior and results I get with the Unity nav mesh agent more than RAIN (just my personal opinion).

If an external plugin can do it, I can't understand why Unity still hasn't implemented this for so long.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Baroni

Baroni

On the roadmap for 5.5. Re-scheduled from 5.4 and 5.3 before that.

Bunzaga likes this.
  3. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

Is there a way you all can have the VESRION info so we can see what changed from before. That way we don't have to keep downloading everything every week. Right now we just get a list and click on what we want to download. But how do we know what was updated and what was not from the last build? this would avoid a lot of GB downloading. Many ISPs cap your download speeds after you download a certain amount of stuff. this means by the middle of the month we can no longer watch Netflix as it's too slow.

This would be simple to do. Also, it looks like the Mac installer is a lot better than the windows version.

4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

There is release notes with each build..so not sure what else you need?

5. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

OMG. Why do I bother sometimes here.....

There are about 25 different parts to download. You choose which one to download by checking it. But it doesn't say which ones are updated. If there were 0nly 12 that were changed, then why download all 25? What is needed on the installer is an indication of which parts are newer than the one you have installed. It's as simple as having a text file which the version have and checking against it. Any high school programmer could do it in 1 afternoon.

Now as always you and other unity types tell me how dumb that is, how complicated it is and find 100 ways of not doing it. Instead focusing on stupid stuff like lighting (which by the way the baking implemented in unity 5 still doesn't work properly).

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

All the platforms are changed, every version. The engine itself is what's being updated, so naturally all the platforms are necessarily affected. So what you suggest is pointless. Why don't you just download the ones you're actually using? The whole idea is to make downloads smaller...just indiscriminately downloading them all defeats the reason it's done this way.

--Eric

7. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

Does this mean the documentation and the example project are changed every time as well? Didn't think so. Can't you just spend 3-4 hours one afternoon to do this. Really simple to do. The amount of time wasted always telling people why things can't be done you could have already done them,

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You didn't really address my point. All the platforms change every time; there's no need to waste any hours at all implementing something to tell you this. I also have no idea why you'd download the sample project more than once. The docs are online, so you don't need to download them at all.

--Eric

9. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

OMG eric. How did you get the job as moderater????

OK, let me throw this out. Maybe you can get it this time. Unity's total download is huge so I just set it up to download (which is every week). I come back later and hopefully it worked. Sometimes I get a error on the installer. It says something like 'installer can not understand INI file'. So I click on next screen several times and it's done. So basically the installer missed installing some of the parts. Because the installer does not tell you what version you have installed, you don't know if you have the latest version. So I have to re-download all of the parts again. if the installer just has a installed version and latest version, then I'd know if I wanted to download it. So if the android was successful but windows store was not, the all I have to do is redownload the windows store. I know it's tough to understand, but unity has more bugs than the bug area at a zoo. By doing this avoids tons of un-needed downloads. this saves time and GB from the ISP so they won't cap the speed. When they do I can not watch Netflix for the rest of the month.

understand now?

10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

lol

Zaelot likes this.
  11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I found the secret "Make user be a moderator" button in Unity. It's pretty cool. Not sure how that's relevant to anything, though.

Anyway, you never did explain why you're downloading all the modules in the first place, since the odds of you actually using all platforms is near-zero. Or why you're downloading Unity every week, for that matter. Or why you wouldn't just be installing Unity in a new folder, so any missing pieces are obvious by their non-existance. But then, I prefer to be proactive about taking simple steps on my end to solve problems where feasible, instead of sitting around and waiting for someone else to do something (regardless of how "easy" you think it should be), so I guess I'll never understand.

--Eric

Zaelot likes this.
  12. luniac

luniac

How do i download 32 bit installers on a 64 bit windows PC........

the download assistant downloads 64 bit automatically. I have a reason for using 32 bit, in the past i could just download the whole client directly as 32 bit client, but now its missing the modules and theres no way to download the modules from the unity editor... this is a pretty silly oversight lol come on guys...

so i can only either use installer which installs the modules and editor as 64 bit, or download the 32 bit editor but its missing the module i need and theres no way for me to get it...

Its literally impossible for me to get the 32 bit module that i need! LOL!

EDIT:
    So it appears that if i download the 32 bit editor and install it, and then download the installer and use that to download the module i need, i can then install that module into the 32 bit editor.

So modules are universal for 32 bit and 64 bit,
    This was not clear to me. Just sayin...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  13. sanpats

sanpats

tvOS build support downloaded with the Download Assistant is always corrupt. MD5 is incorrect and will automatic abort the entire installation process.

PixelEnvision and MrEsquire like this.
  14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thank you for confirming thought it was just me getting this, bloody wasted my time for last 2 hours redownloading 2 times already with same error.. Not impressed

15. sanpats

sanpats

I've skipped tvOS and everything else downloaded just fine.

16. artysta

artysta

I got the tvOS error, but now I can't re-download as it fails 40mb into the editor component.
    "Failed to download the component."

17. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I've decided to check in after trying & failing few times, thanks for the info... I hope installer get's fixed soon as I need tvOS too...

18. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

WHAT? Are you all saying unity has bugs??? No way. I'm sure someone at unity, possible a moderator, will say it's you.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You have some serious reading comprehension problems, it would seem.

--Eric

Oscaruzzo, arumiat and sanpats like this.
  20. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

No, is windows that sucks! :D lol

21. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Hey Bunzaga, check carefully the NavMesh API, we had this problem back in Unity 4.x and we had to use a custom pathfinding solution for Zaharia turn-based fight.
    We still could use NavMesh agents for the exploration part of the game

While we were finishing the prototype, Unity finally implemented the NavMesh runtime carving, and I'm pretty sure, that is what you are missing.

22. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hi @Baroni ,

I'm using Unity Analytics and I want to send via Analytics.CustomEvent the product id and his price (for real money purchases) to Analytics, from IAPListner.cs like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.                 case "coins":
    3.                     DBManager.IncreaseFunds("coins", 10000);
    4.                     ShowMessage("10.000 " + " added to your inventory!");                
    5. Analytics.CustomEvent("RealMoneyPurchase", new Dictionary<string, object>
    6.         {
    7.              { "prodID", "coins"},
    8.              { "price", item.price.ToString()}
    9.         });
    10.         }
    11. break;
    Can this be done?
    Thanks!

23. Baroni

Baroni

@D0R1N Not sure why you are bringing this up here, this is the release thread for Unity 5.3!? Your CustomEvent does not make much sense either because purchases are recorded by the App Store (Google Play / iTunes Connect) automatically so you can just look into your finances there. Please ask a more general question in the Analytics section for input by other developers or visit my support threads.

24. bsawyer

bsawyer

AHH! THANK YOU! This is exactly what we need. I *HIGHLY* recommend this process be officially documented somewhere, not just in a comment buried in a forum thread. It's an important process that many advanced users will need to know of.

It's still kind of silly that there's no option of simply downloading the individual components to begin with, which would be handy for doing remote/automated/CLI installs. The steps you outline, while they will work for us, do require somebody on the team manually use the Download Assistant and then transfer the downloaded components to a shared network location and/or distribute to every machine that needs them. Oh well.

25. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

Since installing patch 5.3.2p3 the editor takes at lot longer to load and visual studio takes a long long long time to open any solution/project. To the point where don't know if crashed or not.

Even when opening blank visual studio projects not linked to unity it is now slower. Not anywhere as bad as opening through Unity though.

Didn't have any of these problems before this last update.

Even tried uninstalling and reinstalling visual studio community but no better.

Whenever I install a new version of unity I uninstall the previous version first and did so here.

Using Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks

doc

26. gasmonkey

gasmonkey

I can not start a 3D or 2D preyect

Attached Files:

27. WF_Bart

WF_Bart

Could you PLEASE make an option in the downloader to ONLY download the install files without installing anything?
    Not only do I just want to pass the installer files around my company, I also have to run a dual install to check if my project works on the new version of Unity without breaking the old and do any conversions that may be necessary. Instead, unless I missed something the downloader just installed on top of my old Unity install without asking.

28. leon_master

leon_master

Error when opening a project.
    When loading automatically closes and my report errors screen appears ...
    No really happens, I use Windows 10, before used it in windows 7 do not know if this system has the error?

29. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

5.3.3 Final Has Now Been Released

30. andymads

andymads

Just going to let the dust settle then update to this from 5.2.4. Got a couple of submissions coming up so might hold off until afterwards.

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

GJ Unity!

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

+1

And some of the fixes look good, may as well check it out soon. (I'm otherwise more than happy to stay on 5.3.2 on both my OS partitions)

33. Paradoks

Paradoks

I am still on 5.2.4.
    Is performance wise 5.3.3 any good ?

@andymads
    Maybe i will wait until you test it : D

34. orb

orb

I made a little tool to extract the links for the OS X version. UT should really provide these somewhere obvious though.

I just rename the Unity directories I have to match the contained version on OS X. Windows should be able to install in custom locations, at least if you run the downloaded installers manually. Linux shouldn't bee too fussy about renaming directories either.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Speaking of Linux... the experimental Linux build got an update as well. Possibly the first time I've seen unity update both Windows/OSX and Linux versions at once. :)

36. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

what's the over/under on the number of bugs for this version of unity????? 50? 100? 200????????

37. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Number of bugs? Do they actually count them? :D
    Joking aside, I'm not sure... I suggest waiting for a unity developer to answer that

(If I were to count them... probably about 25, that's my estimate, but I could be wrong...)

38. Madrayken

Madrayken

Hi folks,

Installer problems seem to about here, so here's mine. Day One with Unity 5 Pro. I bought it this evening, and within an hour hit this:

"Failed to download the installer configuration."
    The request timed out.
    http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity/910d71450a97/unity-5.3.3f1-osx.ini
    The request timed out.
    http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/910d71450a97/unity-5.3.3f1-osx.ini
    The request timed out.
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/910d71450a97/unity-5.3.3f1-osx.ini
    The request timed out.
    http://files.unity3d.com/bootstrapper/910d71450a97/unity-5.3.3f1-osx.ini

Anyone else have this? Since the request is timing out, it doesn't sound like a problem on my end. Not a great first impression.

39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

You sure it isn't your end? That sounds like your internet might be bogged down with something. (Someone in your house streaming latest episode of <insert show name here> ? :D) I say this because last unity upgrade didn't give any of these errors.

Unless, something went wrong with Unity 5.3.3's installer... maybe I should update and share my experience to save everyone the pain later. ;)

EDIT: Tried accessing those URLs, they loaded in a split second on my end. (Mind you though, this is coming from a linux machine, not OSX)

EDIT: Ok, I tell a lie; the last link throws a 404... Not good at all.

40. fafase

fafase

Material on image seems to have broken.
    Having a UI image with a material. Material contains a texture that shows distorted. It is also meant to be stretched and tiled at runtime but none of those affect the visual.

It works fine on a cube.

The picture shows the distorsion on the bottom bar. It should be a loading bar that offset but nothing moves. The values are changing though. The top one has the same setup but displays fine, still no movement nor stretching.
    Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 09.54.48.png

This was going fine last night on 5.3.2p4. I can't really go back since 5.3.2 has WWW deadlock issue and the p4 patch brought UI glitch issues.

EDIT: UI issue seems to still be around:

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.00.50.png

EDIT 2: Fixed the issue replacing it with RawTexture.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  41. Deozaan

Deozaan

I just upgraded to Unity 5.3.3f1 and made a Windows Standalone build for the first time in a while (previous builds for the past several months were on Unity 4.7 for Android). I don't know if this is supposed to happen or not, but I'm seeing .pdb files created for my builds, even with the Development Build option unchecked. I get two files named similarly to the following:

player_win_x86.pdb
    player_win_x86_s.pdb

Similarly for x64 builds. These debugging files are not created for Standalone OSX or Linux builds, as far as I can tell.

Is this normal, intended behavior, or should I file a bug report?

I don't like how builds are now an extra ~150MB in debugging files.

42. PeterB

PeterB

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 11.06.37.png
    I have exactly the same problem. (I'm downgrading from 5.3.3p1 to 5.3.3f1 since p1 crashes miserably when running apps which work well under f1. Getting very fed up with the continuing regressions.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  43. fafase

fafase

I would think this might be a local problem (either your machine/internet provider/server), coz the download and installation went fine for me.

44. PeterB

PeterB

You may think whatever you like, but you're wrong. I generally don't post before checking basic things like that. Connectivity is excellent. This is most likely a download server overload issue, which is why it should be brought to Unity's attention.

45. fafase

fafase

And this is what I was saying. I did not say you should not mention it or you were wrong, I was just adding that the issue is most likely a local server issue since it went fine on my side.

I am not trying to defend Unity's case, look a bit up, I am among the mass of people facing issues.

Weew, those recursive issues are surely getting people pissed off and nervous... o_O

EDIT: Not sure if relevant but kinda weird since you are in Stockholm and I am in Helsinki...would think those two would use the same server for being geographically close.

46. orb

orb

The servers between you and UT's matter a lot too. Internet routing is complicated stuff.

47. PeterB

PeterB

There's a Swedish saying: "Don't try to teach your dad how to f**k." Somehow it feels appropriate right now. ;)

48. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

You all are wrong. Unity has no bugs or errors. if you ever ask or suggest anything to them, a unity employee or moderator will tell you how wrong you are. Unity is not the most buggy program of all time and you all are implying.

49. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's not even remotely true, as an exaggeration or anything else. What's the point in making a post like that? You're just being unpleasant and combative for the sake of it, which doesn't help anyone.

--Eric

dakka and sanpats like this.
  50. RandomCharacters

RandomCharacters

thanks for proving my point.

OrenMunkyFun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.