Search Unity

5.3 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

What about fogbugs #756484 ?
    It was introduced in 5.3.0 and it is still there in 5.3.1p3.

At this point, our assumption is this is certainly a Unity bug since it doesn't exist in 5.2.x. Therefore trying to find a solution for 5.3 would be a waste of effort. This bug is almost a month old and it has the full project attached.

I would appreciate if you let me know if this isn't a bug and rather a breaking change.

Thanks.

2. Vancete

Vancete

5.3.0 introduced a preformance killer
    5.3.1 introduces a broken UI and Animation Window

What's the latest stable build? Tell me pls, I'm going to downgrade.

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. yuliyF

yuliyF

5.2.p3

AlanGameDev likes this.
  4. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

I'm having the same problems, and I have to also mention that there's still a downgrade in performance of Android builds from the good ole version 4. I was expecting that gap to tighten but it seems to be getting wider... Anyway, I'm sure they will eventually address and fix that issue.
    Yeah, perfectly said. With all due respect, some people here are overly dramatic, what is understandable if there was some kind of data loss or something, what I don't think is the case but I could be wrong. In any case, always backup before updating a project to a newer Unity version just to be on the safe side.

5. Onsterion

Onsterion

The vacations are destroying unity :(

6. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Think you need follow the patch releases, because 5.3.1 latest public build has issues and each week they do try and push to fix as much as they can in Patch Releases.. Only thing is that the patch releases seem to always come at different times or delayed. Waiting for a blog post from Unity on 2016 plan.

7. andymads

andymads

I'm sticking with 5.2.4 until all my app store submissions are out of the way.

8. beppim

beppim

Patch 4 is out. And still there is no solution on 753423, one month and a half, and it's just a regression.
    Why Unity does not expose bugs priority? Why cannot we know even if the bug is being taken into consideration! I spent a whole day to create an example for you to analyze. Why can't I be aware if my work is wasted or not? Why can't I know when I will be able to publish my app?
    Be respectful with people that work with your work, please, and let us know when the bugs are expected to go under fixing. We don't expect miracles, we don't want immediate solution, everyone works his best and we know that not all bugs can be fixed immediately and not all bugs are important.
    For this reason we need is a schedule. Just information. It's a matter of organization and respect, I believe.

PeterB, sloopidoopi, elias_t and 5 others like this.
  9. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

We are, too. Is there further info about the 5.2.X cycle? Will there be more releases with extra fixes (like a v5.2.5)?

10. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

That is 99.9percent unlikely..
    Same way people did not want 4.6x life to end, it has, so has 5.2x, guess we got get over it and move on and keep pushing them to fix performance issues in 5.3x

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

See the Epic 5.3 performance thread! QA manager sheds some light on how they been working on things

12. mh114

mh114

Care to link to it? Didn't find the thread after quick searching.

13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

mh114 likes this.
  14. mh114

mh114

15. omarzonex

omarzonex

why not found System.intptr

16. beppim

beppim

It seems that I found the source of the 753423 bug: crazy image flickering all over the GUI when changing the content or size of an image in Android. It disappeared deselecting Multithreaded Rendering in the Player Settings.
    As soon as I think that other people had similar issues, I encourage everyone to try to disable that flag.
    I hope that now that now that we found the bug it will be finally fixed, anyway, also because I wonder if disablilng that will affect performance of the rest of the app.

MrEsquire likes this.
  17. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,

So when I run my game , at start it runs(still low because of low engine performance) , but then about 5 min later the game begins to run even slower , memory usage increases and then it crashes(also the did not move player or execute any in game actions)

Also some times the editor sometimes crashes my GPU as well

Please respond and I will post a report with a scene of this, because project is pretty large.

does not happen in other apps on desktop

Version Unity 5.3.1p4

18. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Unity 5.3.2 is officially out, maybe worth a upgrade and re test.

19. chingwa

chingwa

5.3.2 seems pretty solid here on my end. So far I haven't run into the issues I've had with previous 5.3.x releases. I'm cautiously optimistic :D

Shodan0101 likes this.
  20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

and there's also 5.3.2p1 released. . . . at the same day?

MrEsquire likes this.
  21. orb

orb

Yeah, that was a quick patch. Some bugs that I care about fixed too. Glad I had only just started downloading 5.3.2 before I noticed p1.

22. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

I would be careful of p1 , it brought spikes for audio Manager and physics update

MrEsquire likes this.
  23. PeterB

PeterB

A patch release on the same day as a minor release? The entire point of a non-patch release is that it goes through QA. Says a lot about Unity's QA process.

Jeez, things are worse than I thought.

jay-jin, MrEsquire and AlteredPlanets like this.
  24. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

I agree, starting to lose hope on this engine ever getting great performance

jay-jin and PeterB like this.
  25. PeterB

PeterB

Well, I'd love to see a simple forum poll on the question: "Do you have any confidence left in Unity's QA process?"

I know what my answer would be.

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Well, let's be fair here. There has never been a Unity release that was bug-free, and indeed the point of a non-patch release is that it went through QA. The point of patch releases is that they haven't gone through QA, so they can be released quickly. So the patch might break other stuff, which certainly has happened before. If the stuff in the patch went through QA, that would delay the release more. They have to release sometime; if they waited until there were zero bugs, then it would never be released.

This isn't to say that the quality can't be improved, but maybe try putting down the pitchforks for a moment.

--Eric

Ostwind, mh114 and chingwa like this.
  27. chingwa

chingwa

Quoted for truth.

28. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Obviously
    , but some of the major bugs like performance have still not improved, but little nic nac bugs(simple ones) are. Even those seem to be under tested ,and break other stuff

29. Alic

Alic

I don't know, the fix list for 5.3.2 proper looks pretty substantial, and the patch notes look absolutely massive in terms of important fixes -- seems like a lot of good fixes, and seems pretty obvious why they'd want to get the patch out as well asap.

I've also been affected by the performance problems in 5.3, but if they can resolve all the crazy problems particles have been having I'm confident they're getting into striking distance to hunting down all the recent performance problems. Looking forward to trying this one out.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

5.3.2p1 - still having the OpenGLCore issue with fullscreen effects:

Without anti-aliasing effect enabled:
    Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 11.17.37 AM.png

With anti-aliasing effect enabled:
    Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 11.17.22 AM.png

(Case 766026) Smearing caused by having full-screen effects on camera when using OpenGLCore on OSX

31. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

I was using 5.3.1 before and just installed 5.3.2.
    The Performance was okay for me before, now it is totally bad, sometimes hanging when starting (it did not before) and Overall very slow now.

Is that a known Problem?

Have a nice Weekend :)

PS: I also just installed the latest Geforce Driver (GTX 960). Since installing Unity and Geforce Updates the Frames are half the Frames before, it is unplayable now...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  32. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Okay, it was something else, Problem found and fixed.
    Performance is good again, it was not the unity update. ;)

33. silentneedle

silentneedle

A little warning for all those who are using multiple editor instances to work on one project (e.g. client/server games). This isn't currently working with Unity 5.3 (also with the recent patch).

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

What problems are you seeing?

35. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Does anyone but me have issues with light probes not working in 5.3.2? They work fine in editor but not in build. They are completely ignored.

36. silentneedle

silentneedle

Recompilation fails in one editor instance as soon you have the second running. I've described the problem here.

37. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

With older versions, when my game was running on Fullscreen (Windows pc), I could use Alt+Tab to Switch somewhere else, Switch back again and continue playing.

Now this does not work anymore, I can Switch from the game, but when I Switch back to the game, it Shows but freezes Fullscreen.

Is that a known issue? I have Windows 10 now, before I had Windows 7. I am not sure if it is the new unity Version or especially on Windows 10?

AlteredPlanets likes this.
  38. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

I have this issue as well

39. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Do you have Windows 10, too? Is this a Problem only there?

40. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  41. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

NO I have windows 8

42. beffio

beffio

Hi there,

I'm asset store publisher & I have problems with latest version of Unity 5.3 with all my assets regarding overbrighted/overexposured models.

I think Unity has changed something with lighting/materials and I'm struggle how to achieve same look like in Unity 5.2.
    Do I have to created two version's on an asset? One for Unity 5.0-5.2 and one for 5.3? Because if I will decrease lighting in Unity 5.3 and upload same version on the asset store there will be same problem in Unity 5.0-.5.2. It will be too dark.

Do you know what could be the problem?

MrEsquire likes this.
  43. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Possibly the switch from blinnPhong to GGX

Dreamaster likes this.
  44. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Managed to reproduce the exact issue we're having, Case #767161. Loading a camera from a different scene will cause light probes to not be used. Actually, loading any scene additively (even an empty one) will cause the current scene to stop using light probes. This is a regression. The weird thing is that it works in the editor.

Editor:
    Untitled-2.png

Build:
    Untitled-1 copy.png

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  45. red2blue

red2blue

Hi there,

I am getting this error if I want to update to the newest patch 5.3.2p2:

upload_2016-2-4_12-48-18.png

Tried to reload the Installer a few times.

46. orb

orb

I've had downloads corrupted even with Windows' own built-in protection. Disable any AV (Defender or other) and try again.

red2blue likes this.
  47. red2blue

red2blue

Thanks for your tip, but I had this kind of error never befor in the same setting. Seems strange to me.

48. orb

orb

Yeah, most of the time things have been fine for me. But this one time I downloaded a game that didn't come from GOG or Steam I ended up having to disable Defender before it would download correctly. I've even had Defender trigger on a Microsoft site, so it's definitely getting false positives at the oddest times :)

red2blue likes this.
  49. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

Ok,

So here's another weird issue we have on 5.2.x and 5.3.x. Loading gameobjects using resources.loadAsync or loading the level with async is faster in profiler/development build than the normal build!!!

I tried it on so many Android devices and I'm scratching my head here, why is the load performance better in development mode? What is being turned off (or turned on) in profiler mode that causes the improvement?

Update:
    To clarify the issue a bit further, I think the issue comes down to
    Loading.UpdatePreloading -> Application.Integrate Assets in Background -> Loading.LockPersistentManager

I have found many posts and threads that are facing the similar issue and there hasn't been a clear response so far to any of them. Here's a list of some:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/persistentmanager-lock-stalled-main-thread.36730/

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/loading-lockpersistentmanager-lag-spikes.347305/

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/application-loadlevelasync-causes-a-huge-spike.300000/

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/starting-async-load-causes-massive-lag-spike.288755

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/908450/why-does-applicationloadlevelasync-cause-a-huge-sp.html

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/lo...taking-up-precious-time-for-no-reason.252578/ <-- This one has been posted in 2014 and people are still replying with `same issue here` even in Jan 2016.

Does anyone know? Is this a bug that I should report?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  50. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

To unity developers(if they see it) latest patches are improving engine and performance a bit, keep it going ::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.