Search Unity

5.3 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Since when di this post come through? :D (Oddly, no notification showed up for this one)

Anyway, for those interested, here's the shader... again. :p It is specifically for directional lightmapping of objects on android where it currently doesn't work right.
    Code (csharp):
    2. Shader "FuzzyLogic Studios/Mobile AAA (Static)" {
    3.     Properties {
    4.         _Color ("Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    5.         _MainTex ("Albedo (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.         _BumpMap ("Bump Map (Dot3)", 2D) = "bump" {}
    7.         _EmissionMap ("Emission Map (B&W)", 2D) = "black" {}
    8.         _ReflPower ("Fresnel", Range(0,10)) = 2.5
    9.         _ReflIntn ("Reflection Intensity", Range(0,1)) = 0.5
    10.     }
    11.     SubShader {
    12.     tags {"RenderType" = "Opaque"}
    13.         Pass {
    14.         tags {"LightMode" = "ForwardBase"}
    15.             CGPROGRAM
    16.             #pragma vertex vert
    17.             #pragma fragment frag
    18.             //done because shader does a few weird things...
    19.             #pragma exclude_renderers d3d11 xbox360
    21.             #pragma glsl_no_auto_normalization
    22.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    24.             struct v2f {
    25.                 float4 pos : POSITION;
    26.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    27.                 float2 uv2 : TEXCOORD1;
    28.                 float vd : TEXCOORD2;
    29.                 float3 refl : TEXCOORD3;
    30.                 float4 shadowCoord : TEXCOORD4;
    31.             };
    33.             fixed4x4 _ShadowMapMat;
    34.             fixed4x4 _ShadowMapMV;
    35.             fixed4 _CameraSettings;
    36.             sampler2D _NoiseMap;
    37.             sampler2D _MobileSHTex;
    38.             int _LightMode;
    40.             v2f vert (appdata_full v) {
    41.                 v2f o;
    43.                 //position and texture coordinates
    44.                 o.pos = mul(UNITY_MATRIX_MVP, v.vertex);
    45.                 o.uv = v.texcoord.xy;
    47.                 o.vd = dot(v.normal, normalize(ObjSpaceViewDir(v.vertex)));            
    48.                 o.refl = reflect(normalize(-WorldSpaceViewDir(v.vertex)), mul((float3x3)_Object2World,v.normal));
    50.                 o.uv2 = v.texcoord1.xy * unity_LightmapST.xy + unity_LightmapST.zw;
    51.                 o.shadowCoord.xyz = mul(_ShadowMapMat, mul(_Object2World, v.vertex));
    52.                 COMPUTE_EYEDEPTH(o.shadowCoord.w);
    54.                 return o;
    55.             }
    57.             fixed4 _Color;
    58.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    59.             sampler2D _BumpMap;
    60.             sampler2D _EmissionMap;
    61.             samplerCUBE _Cube;
    62.             fixed _ReflPower;
    63.             fixed _ReflIntn;
    65.             fixed4 frag (v2f i) : COLOR {
    66.                 fixed4 final = fixed4(0,0,0,0);
    68.                 //calculate directional lightmap normal    
    69.                 float3 SDot = 1.0-dot(UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_SAMPLER(unity_LightmapInd,unity_Lightmap, i.uv2), UnpackNormal(tex2D(_BumpMap, i.uv)));
    70.                 //sample diffuse, emission and shadows.
    71.                 fixed3 diffuse = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv).rgb * _Color;
    72.                 fixed3 emission = tex2D(_EmissionMap, i.uv).rgb * diffuse;
    73.                 fixed3 lightmap = DecodeLightmap( UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D(unity_Lightmap, i.uv2) );
    74.                 //add directionality to lightmap result.
    75.                 lightmap += (SDot*0.5) * lightmap;
    76.                 //do final combine.
    77.                 fixed3 color = (diffuse * lightmap) + emission;
    78.                 final = fixed4 (color, 1);
    80.                 //add reflection effect if requested.
    81.                 if (_ReflIntn > 0) {
    82.                     fixed3 refl = UNITY_SAMPLE_TEXCUBE(unity_SpecCube0, i.refl ) + final.rgb * 0.75;
    83.                     final.rgb = lerp( lerp(refl, refl*0.5, saturate(i.vd * _ReflPower)), final, 1.0-_ReflIntn);
    84.                 }
    86.                 //return final results
    87.                 return final;
    88.             }
    89.             ENDCG
    90.         }
    91.     }
    92.     FallBack Off
    93. }
    To use: just place anywhere in your project, then for each lightmapped object, use this shader on that object's material. if there's something I missed, let me know. :)

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I think he was talking about what I said... :D

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It's possible: the thread on 5.3.1 is brokenz is quite long :D
    The one I was reacting to is Shuriken is brokenz, switch it off.
    One day we'll learn to love the bugs and stop worrying about new releases.

4. Bradamante

Bradamante

Does anybody else get weird garbled Particle Systems in 5.3.1 on OS X with OpenGL Core (#756673)? Might have been already there in 5.3.0, but I dunno.

(alt)

Happens in Editor and build with OpenGL Core, but not with builds using Metal. VikingVillage scene untouched.

Apropos Metal. From 5.3.0 to 5.3.1 I got a massive performance drop with Metal. Right now Metal performance is almost as abysmal as OpenGL Core. Metal performance in 5.3.0 was so good I almost didn't care about the bad OpenGL Core performance, but now in 5.3.1 even Metal is gone? Does anybody else see this?
    EDIT: Did some more testing. The performance drop with Metal might only happen in Editor. In a build everything is buttery smooth (and still horrific with OpenGL Core).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  5. Onsterion

Onsterion

6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

7. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I went through the same thing working on a VR project this weekend. I see why they did it, Windows 10 Universal adds 12GB - that's 3GB more than every other platform supported by Unity combined. Unity took a stack of money to add Windows support, so no choice there.

However it is disappointing to see the poor planning on the 5.3 installers and communication but I understand. I've watched how fragmented and almost confused the team has become over the last two years.

Focusing on the most immediate concern - the stand-alone installer only includes the WebPlayer without notifying the user. Once you launch Unity, you'll see odd errors in most projects, and eventually find missing build platforms. There is an attempt to help the user by allowing them to install missing platforms, but the dialog is empty without reference and forces the user to search online for a solution. Eventually they will find the only practical solution is to only use the web installer - which they avoided for a reason and presents its own obvious problems in a larger development team. Once you go through the slow process of the online web installer, you'll again find the only runtime selected by default is the WebPlayer.

The main concern here is that the webplayer is the only platform that is depreciated in 5.3 and the only platform that doesn't work with Visual Studio as of Unity 5.2. This makes it far more than just a poor installation decision but outright unusable. And to make it the only option or the default open, is really incredibly poor thinking ... and someone intentionally made this decision and specifically coded it this way - which is the bigger problem, and helps you understand why your going to find all kinds of negatively impacting decisions in Unity 5.3.

I mean the following as best as I can... but whoever is in charge of these architectural decisions, if they truly care about the future of Unity3D, they should seriously consider stepping down and allowing someone smarter and more aware of the product to handle these changes - and they need to start consulting super users. This should never come as a surprise to the developers that pay for Unity. And it especially should not have come as a surprise to the Unity team members in this thread. This is a concern they they need to take seriously, but will not.

I've seen this type of lost fragmentation before inside a company (Microsoft)... and I don't even want to think of the deeper problems and the patch install nightmare that this thinking and fragmentation is going to cause.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    sloopidoopi likes this.
  8. beppim

beppim

I've always had a lot of consideration on Unity's people for how they were able to make such a complex product so easy and stable. I hope that they'll start back again on this path, after this unfortunate 5.3!
    And don't let them be buyed :)

lloydsummers likes this.
  9. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter. I have high hopes for Unity3D, and expect them to be the best in the business :) I need them to be in order for me to rely on them... They are pretty good and they dominate the market, but they can't keep letting junior mistakes like this through and continuing to ignore feedback.

My experience is that from a technical perspective, they are pretty sound - they have bugs and will fix them. From a business perspective, they are ... rather unpleasant. Their own staff will tell you there is no value to pro licensing. And from a communication perspective they are hit or miss. Sometimes they communicate well, and sometimes you have to scrape the bottom of their forums to find a piece of information that their team has been aware of for years.

My 5 year plan has become more and more entwined with Unity, and I just really hope they continue to look at their product critically and to invest the same effort in this as the users do.

10. davinc131

davinc131

The Unit Version 5.3 is released only to professional edition?

11. Eths

Eths

Nope, to everyone.

12. beppim

beppim

Just FYI, patch 1 didn't fix the texture / UI glitch due to some memory bug on Android. UI keeps being totaly useless.

elias_t and MrEsquire like this.
  13. Cenda

Cenda

Integrated Unity Ads in the Unity 5.3 still crashing Android builds with
    Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1, fault addr 0x0 in tid 18605 (UnityMain)
    With experimantal IL2CPP it is working well.

14. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I was browsing through UnityEditor.dll using ILSpy and accidently found a piece of code that causes this bug:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // UnityEditor.ProjectWindowUtil
    2. private static void CreateScriptAsset(string templatePath, string destName)
    3. {
    4.     if (templatePath.ToLower().Contains("test"))
    5.     {
    6.         string text = AssetDatabase.GetUniquePathNameAtSelectedPath(destName);
    7.         if (!text.ToLower().Contains("/editor/"))
    8.         {
    9.             text = text.Substring(0, text.Length - destName.Length - 1);
    10.             string text2 = Path.Combine(text, "Editor");
    11.             if (!Directory.Exists(text2))
    12.             {
    13.                 AssetDatabase.CreateFolder(text, "Editor");
    14.             }
    15.             text = Path.Combine(text2, destName);
    16.             text = text.Replace("\\", "/");
    17.         }
    18.         destName = text;
    19.     }
    20. .....
    If the path to a script template file contains "test", the script will be created inside Editor folder. You have
    probably installed your Unity in a folder named "Test" or "Contest" or even "AbCdTeStXyZ".

The bug is easily reproducible on my machine in 5.3.1p1.

Munchy2007 and MrEsquire like this.
  15. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

16. Prodigga

Prodigga

Looks like this one could have easily been caught if someone reviewed the code before it was committed. I'd love an insight into Unity's quality assurance. I love Unity but I am always scared to update because of the amount of errors caused by oversights. (The particle system error spam in the last version is another example - did someone seriously forget to strip out their debug.log calls before 5.3.1 release?)

I know comments like this dont help but I am just voicing my concerns.

elias_t, sloopidoopi and MrEsquire like this.
  17. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Installed in UnityTest folder :)

Thanks for posting the info, I assumed it was just a problem with my Windows install as the problem didn't occur on my other PC, which obviously (now), doesn't have test in the install path.

I didn't even report the bug, because my repro project only demonstrated the behaviour on the one PC, further affirming my belief at the time that it was just a problem with my PC.

18. crocdaemon

crocdaemon

Now it takes much more time to load initially, and for the PlayerEngine part I had the older installer too, so extracted it from that and added it in the data/PlayerEngine folder so didn't need to download it for now, but might look for the new if there is any changes. Also documentation was missing too so I extracted that from the older installer too :D.

19. crocdaemon

crocdaemon

The problem is with the new and "Latest" version of Unity for Linux. They say they fixed the bugs :eek: but when I installed it and it started well but when opened new/old project it just hangs :confused: for INFINITY, Why Unity Why ??:(

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The Linux Unity editor is experimental and not yet officially supported. They would never say "they fixed the bugs". (Especially since the supported Mac and Windows editors aren't bug-free either.) You should expect that it will be unstable to some extent for now. You can discuss issues in the Linux editor support category.

--Eric

MrEsquire likes this.
  21. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Patch releases don't come with the platform modules.
    I'm missing the module installer for the patch version of 5.3.1. I can only platform available is WebPlayer, and can't switch to the Windows platform. I tried installing the module using the release version of 5.3.1f1 via the download installer, but it threw a version mismatch error.

Case 757714

22. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

23. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Any chance of getting the link to download the offline docs so I could just use my download manager? I cannot use the Download Assistant as it hogs all of the download bandwidth here in the office. The Download Assistant also does not have any download resuming.

24. mgear

mgear

for 5.3.0f4 (64bit, pc) seems to be
    http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity...entationInstaller/UnityDocumentationSetup.exe

25. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

26. Hodgson_SDAS

Hodgson_SDAS

Doesn't come with a Download Assistant. I ended up going and editing the name of the module in it's code to match the version number. Got it working now.

Also, Can't access dropbox at work, but I really appreciate the help.

27. larrow

larrow

Hi, Where can I download Unity Webplayer 5.3.1f1 ClosedNetwork 64bit ?

28. beppim

beppim

New probabile bug: audio clips in loop mode don't stop after stopping play in Editor, regression in patch 1.

29. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm having the exact same issue!

30. givayt

givayt

AWESOME!! I was hoping 5.3 would be released soon. And it was

31. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Are there any updates with case 752398 (http://gfycat.com/NeighboringOddCottontail). Can it be back-ported to 5.3?
    Can you guys provide a workaround or at least explain what's going on so maybe I could come up with a way to do things differently for the time being?

32. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

I have a question about the new Installer, can someone please clarify it for me.
    1. There are some patch releases and those patch releases doesnt have any modular installers... instead we choose for example Installer Editor 64 bit, and that's it. It has All Android+Windows+whatever other platforms like the old Unity Installers (pre 5.3)
    2. In full relese they have seperate options for Editor, For Android, For Windows and etc..

Does it mean full release ones have different installers and the patch releases have different installers?

nxrighthere and Hodgson_SDAS like this.
  33. MoruganKodi

MoruganKodi

All is good though - but you guys seem to be neglecting your users that need to operate in an Offline Only environment:

1: The offline installer on the archive page does NOT come with any documentation (which was in the patch notes) - but you do not supply any links for offline only users to acquire such documentation. The download assistant might be useful for some - but it is not an ideal solution for me.

2: The offline installer (in my case, the 64Bit editor download) - does not install any build targets except the web player (see attached screenshot - this is after using the offline installer). Older Offline installers used to install everything. Now it seems we only get the editor and monodevelop (see other screenshot attached). There are no public links to the individual offline installers for the individual build targets we may require. This just totally screwed me over as I only discovered this today (when I wanted to build some of my projects for Standalone - as have a job interview tomorrow that requires them to be demonstrated).

I have very limited bandwidth - and when I have to install Unity multiple times - I cannot use the download assistant (I have max 10GB a month on a 3G connection - because internet in my country is expensive). Avery couple of releases or so I have to go to a local computer shop to download the Offline installer - however I found NO documented indication that the new offline installer releases would be stripped down to literally only a Web Player Only target release.

It took me some time to figure out why I couldn't target Windows/Standalone (or any target), because I was under the impression that maybe the text serialization may have failed on my project. But after opening all of my projects I found this was definetly not a project specific case. After some troubleshooting I had to find out the hard way that the Offline Installer was entirely at fault. Wasted 30 minutes just trying to figure out why I couldn't build for windows just to find you only include these options in the Download Assistant.

This is a regression as far as the offline installer is concerned. Pre 5.x the offline installer was pretty good, because back then we got the entire component set for unity.

I assume this was either a mistake or intentional - in case this is a mistake, I have filed a bug report regarding the offline installer's lack of build targets.

It would also be fundamentally beneficial if:

1: - The documentation was reincorporated into the offline installer, or an official download link added to the archives page.
    2: - Build Targets placed back into the offline installer or download links for the individual components publically visible, perhaps also on the archives page, or a public readonly FPT link, or something people can find easily - after all: Accessability is key.

3: document ALL changes to the offline installer. There is nothing online that indicates that the offline installer is just Unity+Monodevelop.

I cannot execute the download assistant at the shop I download them from. I need to be able to download one single unified installer or at least all of the components. At home I cannot run the Download Assistant at all to solve my current predicament because I will hit the upper end of my internet cap very quickly.

For my interview tomorrow I am no going to have to lug the entire contents of my unity projects to my job interview tomorrow for the various demonstrations I need to do - when I intended to just carry the final builds along with.

Please give use a single unified offline installer again. Life was so much easier that way.

This is the 64Bit installer with only the core Unity+MonoDevelop installation (5.3.0)
    This installer does not install any build target other than the web player.
    weqdqq.jpg

This is what it looks like when we cannot build towards the windows target.
    The "No Unsupported Module Loaded" message is incorrect - there are no modules loaded at all for the standalone target - or any other build targets below it (not the build and switch buttons are disabled).
    Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  34. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Update on case 752398 (http://gfycat.com/NeighboringOddCottontail):
    The guys from QA e-mailed me back with a simple workaround: uncheck "Optimize Game Objects" on my models.
    Tried it, had to recreate a large number of prefabs, but it worked in the end!
    I was already starting to panic, so thanks a lot for the workaround!

35. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

So, according to the Patch Release Plan, is v5.2.4 the last entry in the 5.2.X cycle?

36. Xazerek

Xazerek

When i try to launch Unity 5.3.* im always getting blue screen of death.
    Older versions of unity works well.
    Im using Free version.

37. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

I tried the newest 5.3.1 Pro and it fixed a ton of the 5.3 errors I was getting but it is slow as molasses and also takes 10x longer to complete to the runtime game.

38. Shywalker502

Shywalker502

5.3.x is a by far the worst yet!

39. s_guy

s_guy

Been trying to convert a moderate sized 4.6 project to 5.3 for a while and it's been quite an undertaking. Given my perspective, I don't know how much of this is 5.3 specific, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to post.

For me, 5.3.1p2 fixes many of the problems with average and worst case, intermittent performance that were introduced to me in 5.3, both in-editor and in builds, but some pretty bad in-editor hitches remain. (Those issues are in the "other / overhead" category and I haven't been able to narrow it down yet.) The main struggle is with the editor crashes. Having worked with Unity 4 for years, I can't recall encountering a Unity editor crash before. So, it was surprising to get hit by this so hard.

Often these crashes don't yield much info to go on (or at least info that I know how to find or use). I submit a bug report whenever I get a crash dump or have some kind of idea how to reproduce the issue. As far as I know, I can't make use of the dump without Unity code or learning how to make sense of the disassembly.

Most of the time, it crashes with no dump, but the editor.log at least leaves a stack trace. These occur on complex and mature scenes that were developed under 4.6. So, narrowing down the issue or finding a workaround can be extremely tedious, especially if the game uses functionality seen in the stack trace frequently and in varied ways.

I'm far from an expert on any of this, but I thought I might share what worked for me before I asked for help with my remaining issues. Note that this is only about crashers, not the performance or visual or gameplay problems introduced by converting a 4.6 project to 5.3.

First, I addressed the "easy" issues and I was able to run scenes for more than a few moments.
    • Manually reviewed the code autoconversion (which seemed generally quite good at its job) and fixed various problems it introduced or conversions it couldn't automate. Noted lots of GC problems to address down the road.
    • Replaced all Standard Assets and fixed up various things that broke from doing that.
    • Updated all 3rd party packages that have been made Unity 5 compliant; rewrote all customizations and worked through other related problems with updating these. Many required tweaks to related assets that didn't convert properly. Several had to have all related assets rebuilt from scratch.
    • Rebuilt all Shader Forge shaders (an awesome 3rd party package).
    • Rewrote or removed and worked around any other shaders that had warnings or errors.
    • Manually updated all 3rd party packages that are no longer supported or don't have proper U5 support, or removed them and replaced functionality.
    • Fixed all broken references in all scenes: scripts, materials, shaders, etc.
    But still I had frequent crashers. The stack traces almost always mentioned use of Debug.DrawLine(), which I use everywhere for debugging physics abstraction layers, custom character controllers, and AI. Since I don't need these for finished systems and assets, I commented all of these out, and DrawRay too, for good measure. I could finally run the game, sometimes for a few minutes in complex scenes! (I'll try to isolate this more later.)

I guess I've reached the "hard" part because I don't know the best way to proceed. I still get frequent crashers that don't appear to leave much to go on. I'm really only used to console errors with reasonable explanations to the cause of the problem. Various stack traces separately mention:
    • PhysicsManager: ProcessTriggerEnterExits
    • UI::ScheduleUIJobsForInstructions
    • ImageFilters: DoRender (I can probably disable my camera effects selectively to see if it goes away.)
    • CullAllPerObjectLights
    These typically have a sequence related to MemoryManager::Allocate at the top of the stack. Most of those are in such wide use that there seems to be no good place to begin. Hopefully my notes above help someone and hopefully someone can lend me a hand too. Have you encountered crashes with this functionality mentioned in the stack trace? Is there some aspect for diagnosis that I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    MrEsquire likes this.
  40. tihon5tihon

tihon5tihon

41. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

I also noticed the animation bug inside editor. You have to drag the changes manually in the Scene-window. You can't just enter 30 degrees in the properties-part inside the Animating window. :(

42. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

My 5.3.1p3 starts to eat memory like crazy from time to time, up until there's no more available memory left. No idea what causes it.

PS
    It seems the leak is caused by Vectrosity or, most likely, the way I use it. The meshes are leaking.

PPS
    Case closed. Unity is declared innocent.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    OrenMunkyFun likes this.
  43. vladk

vladk

Can someone from the Dev-team say what to do if I need to make Standalone builds and not just web-player? the latest 5.3.1 installer is only 252 Mb and only has the WebPlayer module inside! How do I add more modules?

44. orb

orb

Download the download assistant.

45. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

46. Dimilicious

Dimilicious

Wait Until and Wait While yield statements are new with 5.3, am i right? I find them very handy. It would be great for future versions to have a StopAllCoroutines method for the instance of a class.

47. Michcan

Michcan

does anyone knows something about this?

48. Michcan

Michcan

never mind i found it, Thanks

49. beppim

beppim

I'm still waiting for an answer on the GUI glitch problem that appeared in 5.3.0 as a regression from 5.2.x.... fogbugz #753423. I know that is been reproduced and is under check, but I need to know what priority does it have for the solution: is it going to be fixed in the next patch, or later on in some months, or never?
    This is crucial for us because we have an app that needs a complete rewrite of the GUI before publishing: should we wait or not? This is answer is more important than the solution itself! If there is no solution, tell us if there is a workaround or at least if and when it will be studied and fixed, give us some time frame to schedule our work. Thank you.

50. Gametyme

Gametyme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.