Search Unity

5.3 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guavaman

guavaman

I have to ask... The new module based installation system for Unity breaks up the install so you only have to install what is necessary for the platforms you use. Sounds like a great idea.... But when installing all platforms, the installation size has jumped from 5 GB previously to 21 GB now! Not only does it take forever to download, it takes about 5x as long to install. How is this an improvement again?

blockimperium likes this.
  2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

There's more than one engineer on the team :)

753423 is on the list for QA to verify. Thanks for the video of the behaviour and the investigation you've done on the script; if you find you can make the issue repro by putting that script into a blank scene and so on, then that would be very helpful, but otherwise we are just going to have to wait for QA to work on the bug and figure out exactly how to reproduce the issue.

If anyone else has a similar problem, it will definitely help to have reports from you as well - don't rely on someone else's bug report being exactly the same thing as what you are seeing. Feel free to mention the other bug number in your report if you want to give QA a little speed boost, but in general, having multiple reports (with multiple log files, system configs, repro projects, etc) makes it faster for us to fix a bug, not slower.

It's with QA awaiting verification. With a repro project attached, they should be able to process it pretty quickly when they come back after the weekend.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  3. superpig

superpig

21 GB? I only count 10.11GB from the OS X installer. Windows might be different but double seems excessive. How are you measuring the size?

Some of the increase is because of adding platforms (e.g. tvOS) and some of it is due to things like adding IL2CPP support for Windows Store (which is almost as heavy as a whole new platform). Beyond that I'm not sure unless you can give further details.

4. chingwa

chingwa

It's double in size because of Visual Studio, which is a whopping 10+ gb, and is checked by default. Annoying. Any chance this can be unchecked by default?

Also, Ambient GI from Skybox is not fixed in 5.3.1, perhaps there wasn't enough time to hunt down this issue, but it's a serious bug. It completely breaks the lighting. See the issue here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-3-released.372567/page-2#post-2415245

nxrighthere likes this.
  5. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Were any of the issues in this thread fixed in 5.3.1? I didn't see anything in the patch notes.

6. guavaman

guavaman

Right click C:\Program Files\Unity5.3.1f1, properties:
    Size: 20.9 GB (22,510,863,384 bytes)

This does not include Visual Studio. It does include tvOS and IL2CPP support for Windows Store. Those understandably make it bigger, but > 4x the size of Unity 5.0 and > 3x the size of 5.2.2f1?

I installed all the platforms, but left out Documentation and Example Project.

19.8GB is all in Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines.

Android: 275MB
    AppleTV: 1.42GB
    iOS: 4.0GB
    Linux Standalone: 366MB
    Mac Standalone: 291MB
    Metro: 12.3GB
    STV: 124MB
    Tizen: 36.6MB
    WebGL: 349MB
    Windows Standalone: 678MB

So it's mostly in Metro and iOS. More than half the install space is just Metro. Guess it has nothing to do with breaking it up into modules. Makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  7. superpig

superpig

Well, IL2CPP for Windows Store alone accounts for over 9GB: ~1GB library versions of Unity, x3 architectures (x86, x64, and ARM), x3 configurations (Debug, Release, Master). So yeah, it is big. Maybe sometime in the future we'll break that platform down further, but the size increase makes sense to me for now.

8. superpig

superpig

Yes, a number of things from this thread (and the other sibling threads) have been fixed in 5.3.1 - the multithreading performance spikes, the 'grey screen' when running on Win32, and one of the major Android performance regressions, to name a few. The other issues are still in the pipe.

9. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Same thing with the MonoDevelop. I manually delete it from my SSD after each installation of Unity through the Download Assistant.

10. guavaman

guavaman

Thanks!

11. 00christian00

00christian00

Is my bug a known issue? Or need a bug report?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-3-released.372567/page-5#post-2429780

12. Prodigga

Prodigga

Seems like particle systems using a mesh particles are broken. Throwing lots of errors when you play the game

Edit:

I take that back. I always see these errors now, regardless of what type of renderer I have on my particle system (Mesh/Billboard/Etc). Turning off the particle system stops the errors.

13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I'm getting the same problem, turning of the particle system? what do you mean by this?

14. Prodigga

Prodigga

It seems that when I disable the game object with a particle system attached, the problem goes away.

Seems there is a surprise regression in every update. Love being kept on my toes. :p No I don't

AaronC likes this.
  15. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I see, but this is not a solution as you will need the game object..Lets see what Unity say..

16. beppim

beppim

I tried to reproduce it without success, I believe that it is a memory related problem, hence it appears on my project because it's big... If there is no other solution I'll send you the entire project.
    PS: great name, superpig! Matches with my t-shirt :)

17. Prodigga

Prodigga

Figured it out.. I am controlling the emission rate via script. I set the emission depending on the players speed. When the emission rate is set to 0 on the particle system, I get lots of errors. As soon as I start emitting particles, its fine.

Edit;

Also, simulation space must to set to 'World'.

18. Prodigga

Prodigga

19. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

755686 UI bug: input gets masked despite canvas override ignoring it, good luck using dropdown in scrollviews, can be worked around with an ugly hack

20. mgear

mgear

is it possible to customize Visual Studio installation?

It now installs to C: drive without asking anything (cannot do that with small SSD)
    and it also includes all kind of probably-not-needed tools (looks like silverlight is added, some sql server objects..)

*looks like completely uninstalling vs2013 is quite difficult..
    suggestions range from complete windows reinstall to revo uninstaller..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  21. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Fine, one more error but not a big deal (Data not available or something)

However, I'm desperately waiting for a fix for this:

For now I won't open up Unity for a few days, thanks guys. :mad:

22. Gametyme

Gametyme

^^ thats not a bug, its a warning.

Prodigga and sanpats like this.
  23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I know the awesome workaround for that... ;) If you want it, PM me, and I will explain. :)
    To everyone else: same, if you wish for a solution, PM me. :)

Justice0Juic3 likes this.
  24. Prodigga

Prodigga

Or just tell us here seeing as youve already posted about it

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Gametyme likes this.
  25. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

I seem to be unable to get my Unity installer to download the components. It either freezes somewhere in the middle of downloading the editor, or upon restart and seemingly for the next 10 minutes, the component list itself won't even load (request timed out type errors).

Additionally, this is weird because the url's it is pointing to for component installation seem to be valid when I visit them in Safari.

Could OSX, my modem, or even my ISP itself be detecting a high volume download and then subsequently throttle my ability to download from there? Or perhaps a permissions issue on OS X? Doesn't explain why if I wait 10 minutes I can then access the component menu again, only to fail 1/2 way through the actual download.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  26. beppim

beppim

Why don't you try to download from a clean virtual machine? This would help Unity's people to understand if there is a problem in the installer or if the problem is just localized in your computer.

27. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

I got it to work by switching over to my 2.4G network. I'm not sure what was with the 5G, as the internet seemed to work just fine, but clearly it's a local issue so you guys can ignore.

28. captain_zero

captain_zero

unity5.3 performace is 30% slower than 5.2, tested on android
    anyone found this?

29. vARDAmir88

vARDAmir88

Performance in my games with unity 5.3 much better than in unity 5.2 (Android builds with standard shaders)

30. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

I think it is a problem. Tried it last night. Tried it right now and still waiting:

I had to re-install Unity because something was wrong with the layout colors, which never occured before.

31. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes its first issue people noticed, please try latest 5.3.1 and see if it helps..

32. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Everyhting was working fine until I got latest build tonight.

now I have errors:

Invalid AABB result
    aabb.IsFinite()
    Invalid AABB a x 100000 times
    IsFinite(outDistanceForSort) 10000 times
    IsFinite(outDistanceAlongView)

IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

IsFinite(outDistanceAlongView)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

And then I'm getting this nice little doosey from EASY SAVE 2: ( not 100% sure if its the plug-in that's no suddenly a problem, or Unity)
    CryptographicException: Invalid input block size.
    Mono.Security.Cryptography.SymmetricTransform.FinalDecrypt (System.Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/Mono.Security.Cryptography/SymmetricTransform.cs:462)
    Mono.Security.Cryptography.SymmetricTransform.TransformFinalBlock (System.Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/Mono.Security.Cryptography/SymmetricTransform.cs:554)
    System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransform.TransformFinalBlock (System.Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Security.Cryptography/RijndaelManagedTransform.cs:94)
    System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.FlushFinalBlock () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Security.Cryptography/CryptoStream.cs:341)
    System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.Close () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Security.Cryptography/CryptoStream.cs:123)
    System.IO.Stream.Dispose () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/Stream.cs:98)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Stream:Dispose ()
    MoodkieSecurity.AESEncryptor.iDecrypt (System.Byte[] data, System.Byte[] key, System.Byte[] iv)
    MoodkieSecurity.AESEncryptor.Decrypt (System.Byte[] data)
    ES2Reader.GetDecryptedBytes ()
    ES2Reader.GetEncryptedReader ()
    ES2Reader.ReadEncrypted[Int32] (.ES2Type type)
    ES2Reader.Read[Int32] (.ES2Type es2type)
    ES2Reader.Read[Int32] (System.String tag)
    ES2.Load[Int32] (System.String identifier)
    StartLevel.Awake () (at Assets/_Scripts/StartLevel.cs:115)

NOT HAPPY JAN!

33. Khash-Firestorm

Khash-Firestorm

Hi Rich!
    Robert here :D we were working together in Gusto and Codies :p

Yes, I didn't noticed any bigger issues related to this spammed error over last few months, we have noticed it first time in the 5.1.1 if I'm not mistaken. I have not seen this in logs from player outside editor, so it shouldn't do any harm or even slowdowns because of log, but it does some confusion for a moment every now and then when you play in editor and expect some issue you are trying to track down. You then have to check array of errors if the one you are looking for does not hide between those AABB. So tu summarize, its only as far harmful as obscuring editor log is ;D

Our game Thea was prized by overall stability during Early Access and we had this in our log all along. Among hundred of thousand of hours of gameplay done by our players we should have fair data base to say it might be safe to simply stop logging this error :)

If others can confirm the same it might help you make decision if you will be worried about "if there is any unforeseen side effect of it"

Cheers!

34. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

That's it! I'm tired of restarting my computer more than twice a day.
    Let me uninstall it right now and get back Unity 5.2.
    :rolleyes:

Let me know when it's fixed (including lightmapping).

35. artysta

artysta

Yeah I went back as well, was tempted when 5.3.1 came out, but then the complaints started right away. When 5.4 comes out, I'll try the latest 5.3

Justice0Juic3 likes this.
  36. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

I'm getting a UNET crash only on iPhone that I'm not seeing with the same build on OSX. It occurs when I'm trying to join a game through matchmaking. Used to work fine on the 5.1.4 Apple TV beta.

The line is

Code (CSharp):
    1. Application_set_runInBackground_m_1961756033_0(NULL/*static, unused*/, (bool)1, /*hidden argument*/NULL);
    on line 34536 of Bulk_UnityEngine.Networking_0.cpp, in the "
    NetworkManager_StartClient" function.

Seems to be the "SetPlayerRunInBackground" function. Not sure how to debug further, but let me know how I can provide more information?

37. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

38. RajRajRaj

RajRajRaj

Hello

dont know what happened wrong just update my unity version from 5.0.1 to 5.3.0

and the script started behaving very strangely...
    Code (CSharp):
    1.   void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D other)
    2.     {
    3.             Destroy(gameObject);
    4.             Instantiate(GM.instance.shockwave, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
    5.             GM.instance.DestroyBricks();
    7.     }
    in Version 5.0.1
    when ball hits tiles it destroys tiles and bounce back in respective direction but after upgrading to version 5.3.0 ball destroys tiles but not bounce back , ball continue going in its respective direction....

is there is any change in OnCollisionEnter function?

39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

If you had read some previous posts here... :D

Anyway, the reason that's behaving weirdly? Apparently, there's some screwy stuff going on in 5.3 when it comes to using 2D collision callbacks. For now, probably a good idea to roll back if you can. (Or wait for a patch release that fixes the bugs... ;))

RajRajRaj likes this.
  40. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Just got a reply from the QA team regarding my animation case 752398 (http://gfycat.com/NeighboringOddCottontail).
    They said they fixed it and the problem won't appear in the upcoming Unity 5.4 release.
    WHAT?
    You guys introduce a bug in a major release and will only fix it in the next major release 3 months away? What if my release window is sooner than that? This is unbelievable and unacceptable!

Trigve, elias_t and MrEsquire like this.
  41. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

I also think 5.3 was far from ready to be a marked as a stable build, specially for Android.

42. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes this is the kind of stuff I been complaining about and deserves mention in the 5.3 performance thread.. Does it not make you just rage! If it has to be in 5.4 then a proper explanation is needed why not it can go into a patch release..

elias_t likes this.
  43. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

44. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

5.3.1 fixes some regressions for me. However:

- Cloudbuild still does not have 5.3.1
    - We still have weird renderTexture + Stencil problems.

We basically pegged all of our builds to 5.2.x until we find a build that has all the recent problems fixed.

45. mmoczkowski

mmoczkowski

Hey Aram, just so you know, they finally pushed 5.3.1 to UCB.

Aram-Azhari likes this.
  46. superpig

superpig

Just reply to the bug, explain that it's a shipstopper for you, and request that it be considered for a 5.3 patch release. It may even already be in the queue to backport.

47. Hoogin

Hoogin

My substance materials doesn't bake properly anymore, all maps are just replaced with random colors...

Anyone else have the same problem?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  48. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

49. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I did reply asking for workarounds before posting here. I really hope this is the case and the fix can be released in a patch.

50. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Thanks man for narrowing down the bug. My guess is this one was tested on a hackintosh running OS 9 "Graphics: Added client/worker multithreaded rendering support to OS X Metal."
    I reverted to 5.3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.