Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.3 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure what point you think I proved. Your claims about what Unity employees and moderators say about bugs is factually incorrect.

--Eric

sanpats likes this.
  2. luniac

luniac

lol although i'd rather have Unity focus more on a stable product vs new features, you're being silly.

DrKucho and leni8ec like this.
  3. Onsterion

Onsterion

+1

DrKucho likes this.
  4. Red_Kay

Red_Kay

If Unity 5.3.3 is already released why don't I get updates on my 5.3.2f1 ?

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I think they wait abit to be "safe" that no major issues.
    But I think they need be more confident in there QAed, if they release 4 patches per week, patches not QA'ed then people will find issues, the combination of 4 patches is added final release which is QAed.
    Anyway whatever... I think the upgrades for 5.3 are needed to fix the 5.3final issues.
    So would advise others upgrade to latest versions..

6. Bunzaga

Bunzaga

Thank you for taking the time to consider my situation and respond. I did take a close look at the runtime carving( http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-dynamic-navmesh-generation-built-in.220300/ is a great example ), but I don't know the size of the dungeon ahead of time. So this would mean I would either end up with parts of the dungeon outside of the carvable area, or I would have tons of walkable space surrounding the individual rooms.

With the carving, you basically bake a giant square inside the editor, then carve out the walls. With RAIN, I calculate the center and extents of the dungeon after it's been created, then bake the navmesh based on the size. If there was a way to even generate the big filled navmesh at runtime, this would be a step in the right direction. Carving out the walls could work, but the gaps between rooms (the empty space) might pose a problem.

In the end, I've decided to just work on paid projects for now, and once Unity decides to implement runtime navmesh baking, perhaps I'll make another attempt at this project. I've also been re-thinking the design of the rooms, so this is giving me great time for reflection.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

5.3.3 is fast but since it crashes on build, so I cannot use it.
    It's too bad because it is much faster than 4.7 and I found a way around the broken light baking which gives GI vibe in real time, also blurry reflection for free is nice.
    Here are a few bugs I encountered, some are crash worthy.

- the full project runs in the editor but doesn't build at all 776359
    - glcore on mac editor and build causes streaks across the screen - shuriken related 774724
    - when removing graphics api from the player inspector, all sounds files reimport 776341
    - "too many files open" error during build or reimport 775086
    - ios not building a project with zero .cs (osx and co building ok) 776317
    - dll located inside a linux 32 bits folder don't show linux in the inspector, only windows (Talked with a couple devs and it seems the new plugin system is very broken) 776256
    - click selects the closest object, click again selects the object behind
    - if there are two prepassshadowcollectors in forward, unity choses one at random, random doesn't help devs 776201
    - baked lightmap doesn't work (see most threads on the GI forum)
    - BRDF is neat but it has bugs 776352

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 3.57.11 PM.png
    cancel and try again don't do a thing, Force quit gives this:
    Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 4.02.44 PM.png

etc...

8. MachairaJP

MachairaJP

Having an issue with the installer for 5.3.3f1 - the Next button at the license window is never enabled (see image). Never had this problem with any other release. :(

Attached Files:

9. Dream_Iverson

Dream_Iverson

UNetWeaver error: Exception :System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.UInt32,System.UInt32].Add (UInt32 key, UInt32 value) [0x0007e] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataSystem.SetReverseNestedTypeMapping (UInt32 nested, UInt32 declaring) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataReader.AddNestedMapping (UInt32 declaring, UInt32 nested) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataReader.InitializeNestedTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataReader.InitializeTypeDefinitions () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataReader.ReadTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.<get_Types>b__8 (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition _, Mono.Cecil.MetadataReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Read[ModuleDefinition,TypeDefinitionCollection] (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinitionCollection& variable, Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition item, System.Func`3 read) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.get_Types () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.Weave (System.String assName, IEnumerable`1 dependencies, IAssemblyResolver assemblyResolver, System.String unityEngineDLLPath, System.String unityUNetDLLPath, System.String outputDir) [0x0006a] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1651
    at Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver.WeaveAssemblies (IEnumerable`1 assemblies, IEnumerable`1 dependencies, IAssemblyResolver assemblyResolver, System.String outputDir, System.String unityEngineDLLPath, System.String unityUNetDLLPath) [0x00062] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Weaver\UNetWeaver.cs:1748
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Log:Error(String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:20)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver:WeaveAssemblies(IEnumerable`1, IEnumerable`1, IAssemblyResolver, String, String, String) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetWeaver.cs:1755)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Program:process(String, String, String, String[], String[], IAssemblyResolver, Action`1, Action`1) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:34)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Serialization.Weaver:WeaveUnetFromEditor(String, String, String, String, Boolean)

10. Dream_Iverson

Dream_Iverson

Failure generating network code.
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Serialization.Weaver:WeaveUnetFromEditor(String, String, String, String, Boolean)

11. Lion-Jin

Lion-Jin

Unity5.3.3
    For IOS platform, there is no target resolution option in the player settings, is this feature removed? Its very slow running a 3D game at highest resolution.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  12. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Who is in charge of updating Unity roadmap?
    Seems its come to a slow stillness and not much activity

13. razorbackfan10

razorbackfan10

Hey guys I'm pretty new to Unity and recently purchased the Dreamscapes asset pack to use in my game. I'm having a problem with the trees that I can't for the life of me figure out. When I try to change the color of the materials used in some of the trees, it's basically causing the trees to turn grey and be rendered completely wrong. Are the tree colors not supposed to be able to be changed or am I just doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I'll upload some pictures to show the problem. Again, just to be clear, the trees work fine in their default colors but when I change the colors, everything goes haywire and I have to re-import the trees to fix them.

Attached Files:

14. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

I believe this is not the best place to ask this. Perhaps try the feedback area for the purchased asset or Graphics in the community support forums. This is a thread for announcements and issues around it.

15. PrisedRabbit

PrisedRabbit

unity 5.3.3p2 assetBundle.mainAsset return null on next request. the solution is:
    request.assetBundle.LoadAsset<Texture2D>(request.assetBundle.GetAllAssetNames()[0]);

doggan likes this.
  16. DrKucho

DrKucho

+1

17. Catacomber

Catacomber

Has anybody tried 5.3 4? Downloading it now.

18. fafase

fafase

5.4 was meant to be out today but now the roadmap has been changed and release is for June.

I guess that is an attempt to make sure Unity avoids piles of bug report like it happened with 5.3.

At least, I'd rather wait for a working feature than an early bug.

leni8ec and docsavage like this.
  19. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

The Sub forum for this topic still says 5.3.2. :)

MrEsquire likes this.
  20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Indeed, Thought admins change this by now to 5.3.4 push finally to the stable release. Im happy with latest annoucements, Unity really making a change for the better.

Roni92pl likes this.
  21. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

And what a great thing it is that 5.4 is not out! They finally made a good change and on the road to stability. Its a much nicer and calmer feel and im sure with the open beta there be a rush of bugs and issues reported keep them busy for a while :) Good things coming

vakabaka and Roni92pl like this.
  22. freedomize

freedomize

Stability is more important for me. Has anyone already using 5.3.4?

23. Onsterion

Onsterion

Any have a idea where can find the 5.3.4 32bits link?

24. mgear

mgear

Onsterion likes this.
  25. Onsterion

Onsterion

26. artysta

artysta

Yes, so far its working the same as 5.3.3p3 for me. small font glitch but no big hiccups so far.

27. KnuckleCracker

KnuckleCracker

I moved from 5.2.2 to 5.3.4 (waiting it out after seeing the bugs people were encountering). So far so good... mostly. I notice that UI elements are slightly brighter when comparing to a 5.2.2 build. The outline effect on UI text also seems more subdued (at 127 alpha).

The main pain for me has been that any UI Text element set to a numerically odd height comes out fuzzy. It didn't do this in 5.2 (or earlier versions). So I've had to go all over the rather substantial UI in my game and hunt down buttons and things that are a height of 25 and change them to 24 or 26, for instance. (Yes, they are all hosted under canvases that have pixel perfect checked).

Performance wise, things seem snappier, though I don't yet have any numbers to back that up. Certainly have not noticed a slowdown that is visible to the naked eye during game play.

28. artysta

artysta

I had to do the same Font Fix.

29. Ironmax

Ironmax

The new gamma curves are horrible. in 5.3.3

30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What new Gamma curves?

31. Ironmax

Ironmax

This curves are internally(you cant change).. from 5.2 to 5.3 they changed something with gamma settings on some legacy shaders . Also standard shader seems to have a ugly white coating.. (i have accurate calibrated monitor).
    Curves have been updated. means black is now more grayish..making color less brilliant.
    This mostly effect legacy shaders tough.

Maybe this is fixed in 5.3.4 else i go back to 5.1.2

update: This seems to be related to Ambient intensity (mixing) (some things was clearly changed here)
    Baking speed seems better tough, and general performance, GUI performance are not improved.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  32. fafase

fafase

Seems the UI system has got worse for me.I was having massive glitches on UI elements, but now it happens that Text shows behind a parent element.
    The text is there since if I disable the Image component on the parent, I can see the text. And it was on top before update.

Got us wondering if the delay for 5.4 is a will to make things better or just they don't have a decent version in their hands right now.

As a result, we are forced to slowly make our way out of Unity since we simply cannot rely on it anymore.

33. Ironmax

Ironmax

I tested 5.3.4 today. UI did not seems to be worse to me, but not really better either , i also saw less allocation action on some basic functions. Overall better performance, i am still trying to figure out what is causing this gamma imbalance, which is annoying me most atm. Some heavy stuff was changed to shader.. (maybe more materials are receiving ambinet light now) still testing..

34. Ironmax

Ironmax

Can some one explain this to me? both this scence are on same light values and same standard shaders (mostly)

Theres clearly a gamma change here.. Please tell me i am wrong.

MrEsquire likes this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

I posted this elsewhere, but seems more likely to be 'seen' here.

Anybody else getting really slow performance ?

Just upgraded to 5.3.4, imported my project and it almost grinds to a halt, I go from a steady 60+ fps, down to barely 15 fps.

I'm having to reinstall 5.3.3 again, as the performance is just too dire to work with. Any ideas why, I'm afraid I'm not savvy enough to work out the issues based on the stats counter, but at first glance, it seems like it's rendering everything twice over, as the amount of tris and verts has doubled for no reason, dsp load is twice what it was, and the cpu load has gone from 14ms to 66ms ? Really disappointed that I can't upgrade, is there anything obvious that has changed in 5.3.4 that would break my game this way ?

MrEsquire likes this.
  36. Ironmax

Ironmax

this is mac? on windows 10 i have performance increase

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, this was on a mac.

38. Gametyme

Gametyme

Same here but on a mac.

39. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

A bunch of things changed graphically between 5.1.3 and now; I would suggest reading the release notes. Those changes in the pic might be due to the switch from Blinn Phong to GGX for specular highlights or the change to the smoothness curve in smoothness/roughness textures.

Ironmax and MrEsquire like this.
  40. DrKucho

DrKucho

you have 133000 triangles instead of 61600 , its more than double polygons on scene, could that be the reason?

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thats just it, I merely installed 5.3.4 and loaded my project in, something has happened in 5.3.4 that seems to cause a larger overhead, but I don't know how to find out what it is and what's potentially causing it.

I presume it could be many things, if 5.3.4 handles rendering differently on my objects and shaders, that could render everything twice, shadow changes, quality settings, antialiasing, etc, etc

It's not like I can even run 5.3.4 and 5.3.3 side by side either and step by step check what is happening, installing 5.3.4 wipes put the previous install. Luckily, I keep backups of my project every step of the way, because opening in 5.3.4 isn't backwards compatible once you have, so at least I still had my older project file to go back to.

I may try again at the weekend, grabbing screenshots from 5.3.3 and comparing with 5.3.4, seeing if anything major has been altered in my scene when it has been upgraded to 5.3.4.

42. Aedous

Aedous

Just to help you out there, I thought I could only install one copy of Unity, but I think if you change the installation folder you can have multiple copies of Unity running at the same time. I'm using a windows machine so I'm not sure if it would be the same response on Mac.

Deleted User likes this.
  43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Sure it's possible, just change the name of the folder. You should definitely keep the old version around for a while just in case.

--Eric

Deleted User likes this.
  44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, I'll give this a try, the installation is somewhat automated on a mac, I don't recall being given an option to install in other locations, but I'll definitely look into this. :)

Technically, I could probably get around this by dragging and dropping the .app folder and placing elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
    DrKucho likes this.
  45. artysta

artysta

I rename my existing Unity folder in the Applications director to Unity533p3, or what ever version it is. Then I install a new version of Unity, which by default creates the "Unity" folder. Now I have Unity & Unity533p3, In the past Ive had 3 or 4 versions of Unity install and I always keep the latest version to just Unity, by doing that my DOCK bar at the bottom never needs to be updated, it always looks for the Unity App in the "Unity" folder. after a few weeks, I will start deleting older versions as I stop the need for older version.. I never open my project in multiple versions of Unity especially backwards, I dupe my project so I can run side by side tests. This is on Mac.

Deleted User likes this.
  46. Catacomber

Catacomber

Using 5.3.4 on Windows PC Windows 10, all the objects in a scene disappeared from my hierarchy all of a sudden after deleting some point lights.

47. Ironmax

Ironmax

I think your pretty right about that, thanks for the input, because i tested a pure black texture some base shaders, black was black. thank god. I be using 5.3.4 from now on. Feels more stable and baking is faster. Some other engines like cryengine has a internal light gamma curve to fake "quality, that is very annoying ". Good this is not the case with Unity (Danish people are good with quality design) hint hint ,

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  48. DavidJayIndie

DavidJayIndie

Everything was working fine under version 5.3.3 but since I updated to 5.3.4 my UI has been acting weird. In the example below, the text is all mangled under the "Moves" header, and the text that should appear in the red box just won't stay in front of it, no matter what I do.

49. ladyonthemoon

ladyonthemoon

Hi,

After some problems happened, I deinstalled and reinstalled Unity. There seems to be differences between the two installations, especially concerning Visual Studio. A bunch of things related to Visual Studio has been installed this time but the Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Unity folder is not in C:\Program Files (x86) and is nowhere to be found.

Is this normal? I used the UnityDownloadAssistant-5.3.4f1 for the installation.

Also, is there a real interest in using Visual Studio as the C# editor? It takes ages to load...

Thank you for your answer.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  50. Ironmax

Ironmax

That is a very good question/point. Although i love visual studio for all my coding both with C# and c++. i still use MonoDevelop ver 4 because its faster to load with Unity and still uses the xml color temple. Preference - External tool. just find the correct exe file for your editor of choice.. You can use notepad if you wanted to. or Notepad ++ or EditPlus.
    For external liberys that you include in your project i recommend visual studio for better intelisense and debugigng. Just want to add that Visual studio 2015 is allot faster than there predecessors

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.