Search Unity

5.3.6f1 ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SteveJ, Jul 27, 2016.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm a little lost. The Announcements forum says "Current Unity Version: 5.3.5". I like to keep up to date with the patches as well, and we're at 5.3.5p8. All good.

I just checked the main Unity download area though and it says "5.3.6f1, released 15 Mar 2016"...

WTF? :)

2. tnaseem

tnaseem

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. My search for answers brought me here. :)

If I do a "check for updates" in my patch release (5.3.5p8) it says I have the latest version too.

I need to know if 5.3.6f has the fixes that I was relying on in p8. Reading through the release notes, it appears to suggest that it has. However, the same update (fix) was in the p6 release notes (where it still didn't work) and then again in p7, where they finally fixed it. :)

Confused? Well, I certainly am...

3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5.3.6f1 is the latest. I suspect the date is just wrong. I'll chase it up.

thanks.

tnaseem and SteveJ like this.
  4. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

I'm not exactly the one to ask, but I believe they do include bugfixes from patches in the next version unless stated otherwise. There's usually a "known issues" section of the release notes, too.

That said, from my understanding it's generally bad practice to update your game engine mid-project unless you know the upgrade will solve problems for you (eg. the upgrade has a specific bugfix you need).

Use source control!

5. orb

orb

Yes, higher numbers have the previous patches. Going from 5.3.5* to 5.3.6f1 is less risky than going straight to 5.4 though. The last number usually implies bug fixes - the patch versions are just quick fixes which haven't gone through full QA.

tnaseem likes this.
  6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5.3.6f1 is the latest. The date is wrong, our webteam will be fixing it shortly.

tnaseem likes this.
  7. tnaseem

tnaseem

Which is why I was using 5.3.5p8 - To solve a particular problem! And yes, I do use source control + multiple backups locally, and cloud.

25+ years in the industry has taught me a thing or two :)

8. tnaseem

tnaseem

Many thanks for chasing it up, Karl. Do you know when they'll be updating the Cloud Build too? Doesn't appear to offer 5.3.6f1 as an option for the build process (Goes straight from 5.3.5p8 to 5.4b1).

Cheers,
    Tarique.

9. P-Jawahar

P-Jawahar

Release Manager Unity Technologies

5.3.6f1 release date issue will be fixed soon. Unity webteam is working on a fix. In the meantime, the incorrect release date will be removed.

karl_jones likes this.