Search Unity

5.3.4 released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

During GDC we announced that we are releasing Unity 5.3.4 as a result of our decision to focus on improving quality. Head over to the download page to update to the latest version, and read about our goal to maintain a stable release on the blog.

We will continue to work on further improving the stability of Unity 5.3.x with additional minor and patch releases over the next 6 months.

Remember to back up your projects before downloading the latest version of Unity and check out the release notes.

2. fafase

fafase

Looks like the other thread has been closed.

Using 5.3.3p3, adding a normal map to a terrain texture simply closes the editor.

- Add a terrain
    - Select the Paint Texture tool
    - Add a texture
    - Add a normal map
    - Kaboom

3. Catacomber

Catacomber

5.3.4 on iOS is Open GL 4.1 only?

And one more question about 5.3.4 and iOS. I used to be able to import an asset that had a demo,using the first person controller and test that demo scene with its first person controller, now the first person player doesn't move using WASD. Tried this with more than one asset--each asset was 5.x ready.

Also when I switched platforms from iOS to Mac I lost all my standard assets for some reason. I had to reimport them again.

It's really nice to have a thread specific to 5.3.4 but there were some issues raised in the old thread that never got an answer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Think you need to raise new threads in iOS + Mac section specific to the individual issue, currently I do not think they will answer you in one long reply. This thread more for general stuff I guess.

Catacomber likes this.
  5. fafase

fafase

This is a common practice called sweeping under the rug.

Catacomber likes this.
  6. Catacomber

Catacomber

You're right. I thought of that right after I posted. Just now made two separate threads in iOS and one in Mac for my questions. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    SaraCecilia likes this.
  7. Catacomber

Catacomber

Unity 5.3.4p1 is available I see in patches. Lots of fixes. :)

One of my Assets says it requires Unity 5.3.6. I hope that's a typo.

8. Catacomber

Catacomber

So far so good, but sometimes for whatever strange reason, the Standard Assets completely disappear from my project--I have to reimport them. Now on Mac.

9. KnuckleCracker

KnuckleCracker

Under 5.3.4 (f1 and p1) I get crashes in the linux player. Where is the forum to talk about this? Under the Platforms grouping on the forums I see a subforum for everything except Linux (windows, osx are both there). I have back traces I'd like to post to see if I am missing something obvious about why a 5.3.4 build is insta-crashing on linux before I log a bug.

10. 00christian00

00christian00

Just wanted to say that Xcode 7.3 beta build and run bug has been marked as resolved, but even with the latest patch build and run doesn't work with Xcode 7.3 final it says it's not in the list of compatible versions.

11. Paradoks

Paradoks

@KnuckleCracker
    I got problems too with linux headless, i use it as a server with uNet.
    I would like to know a little bit more about the linux support.

12. Catacomber

Catacomber

There's a Linux Editor Support forum. It has a Penguin icon in Forums. It's on the right hand side of the list. It is marked "Experimental".

Except that my Standard Assets sometimes disappear, I'm having a better experience on 5.3.4p1. Some of the graphics are just beautiful.

13. KnuckleCracker

KnuckleCracker

That is for the Editor on Linux, which isn't the same as the Player and issues with games running on linux. There's a platform forum for everything except Linux (even Blackberry, gasp).

I wish I didn't have to care either, but I have to for the same reason Unity has invested effort in making a Linux editor... Linux users represent a tiny fraction of my customer base but they are disproportionately vocal. The optics of Linux support are also far larger than the customer base. That, and there's now a little thing called SteamOS (which is Linux).

Anyway 5.3.4 crashes on some linux systems and it seems related to GL initialization or something. I've logged a bug, but with all of the forums here it still isn't clear at all where to talk about issues with the linux player, or even issues with a given Unity build. There's this thread (and ones like it) but this doesn't seem right.

14. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

You've raised a good point in us not having the Linux platform sub forum. For now, create a post in General Support and make sure to post the log as a spoiler so it's contained.

15. Aedous

Aedous

Just wanted to point out that that setting an Animator Components speed to 0 via script will cause the game to still run but eventually will cause any component using the mecanim animation system to halt on a frame, and some times even stop input from responding on Unity 5.4.3.p1 (latest patch release)
    It actually doesn't show any logged errors either as I was so sure it was my code, but after some digging I found the issue!

I'm using this piece of code to pause the animation when an enemy is frozen
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Animator animator_reference = GetComponent<Animator>();
    2. if(animator_reference)
    3. {
    4.      animator_reference.speed = 0.000001f; //Fixes unity hanging
    5.      //animator_reference.speed = 0f;
    6. }
    The problem is solved if I use any number other than 0, the same issue used to exist back in a later patch but really only halted the gameobject making the call to set it's animator speed to 0.

Hope that helps you guys with solving the issue, and anyone else that has noticed a strange hang in their game and no idea where it's coming from :).

16. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Definitely not. OpenGL 4.1 does not even exist on iOS.

Nothing changes with graphics API settings on iOS in 5.3.4, they are like they've been for a long time:

iOS can use Metal, OpenGL ES 3 or OpenGL ES 2. Default setting (in player settings) is "try Metal, if that is not available then use OpenGL ES 2".

Catacomber likes this.
  17. Catacomber

Catacomber

Thanks so much!

18. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

@SaraCecilia - I just don't get it. Proxies, behind a proxy, firewall, what is going on?
    This is extremely frustrating not being able to use Unity in my spare time finally when the weekend just has begun.
    :(

Edit: Installed the beta, no clue how to solve the Service not available-problem.
    Any help would be really-really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

19. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

--WE NEED SUPPORT--

20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

From your previous message, no one knows what your talking about, so what is the exact issue you are having!

21. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

1. I start up Unity without Administrator privileges
    2. I tried to sign in, comes with "Service not available. Please try again later."
    3. Then I clicked "Work Offline"
    4. Chose a project to load and says:

Also tried:

1. I start up Unity without Administrator privileges
    2. I tried to sign in, comes with "Service not available. Please try again later."
    3. Then I clicked "Work Offline"
    4. Chose a project to load and says:

And
    I also re-installed Unity, a newer version, the beta and restarted my pc.
    None of them seemed to fix the issue.
    (This problem again, argh:
    :()

Conclusion: Goodbye Unity in my spare time, really bored during the weekend right now.

22. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

To be honest this may not be Unity specific issue, you didn't mention which version of Windows your using and other information??, if this was Unity issue then more people be complaining that Unity is not working as expected. Especially with Windows on different versions.
    I think maybe you need to do a full uninstall, remove Unity and the folders on your Windows drive device.
    And finally could well be some service your running in background causing issues.
    Of course I could be wrong.

23. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Okay, I don't really know what details to tell you exactly but:

I'm using a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit and the problem occured since I started the computer the other day after installing Blender. I also did a small change when it comes to background processes. I disabled Acrobat Reader and another Adobe program at startup.
    Furthermore I haven't tried deleting all of Unity's files including the AppData and then re-install Unity.

This is very disappointing at the moment since I have a group of people waiting here.
    I was literally saying to them I will release the game soon, but then this problem came out of nowhere.
    Very sad but true. :oops:

24. Catacomber

Catacomber

That sounds like a hardware issue. Are you using two monitors. Does your graphics card have updated drivers?

25. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

This is the first time having a serious issue with Unity. The developers can't always say 24/7 it's my fault.

I do not use multiple monitors and have updated my drivers like 2 months ago.

Edit: What do I do if full re-installing of Unity doesn't solve the problem either? :( I'm doomed.

26. Catacomber

Catacomber

I'm not saying it's your fault. I just googled your error message and it seems that many times using two monitors or outdated graphic card drivers can cause that message. At least you've ruled those two out.

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Update your graphics drives again, does not hurt and does not even take that long.

28. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Ok, I also take the installation of Windows Updates in consideration.

MrEsquire likes this.
  29. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

@MrEsquire - How's it going man of the mafia?! I just solved the problem by installing the latest Windows Update and by re-add the Unity.exe to the Firewall + my virus scanner.

I don't know which one solved exactly the problem because I did it all in a row.
    I suppose it was just the Windows Updates?..

30. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hey, yes I though originally this was not a Unity related issue and more your machine.
    I'm glad you sorted out the issue finally, cannot tell what solved it, but Windows Update usually helps keep things up to date in the resource side of things. Good luck with your Unity development.

Justice0Juic3 likes this.
  31. wm-VR

wm-VR

Every time when Unity crashes (or after freeze closed with tab-manager) since 5.3.4 we need to wait up to an hour till Unity is ready to work.
    This progressbar appears and starts "calculating asset hashes.." -obviously from scratch every time which is quite annoying when you are in an creative workflow.

Is this deliberately intended or eventually just a bug?
    Unity 5.3.4p2 / Win 7 / Oculus runtime V1.3.0 / CV1- Headset

asset_hashes.png

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  32. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

We should have a thread sticky to comment on patch releases, not sure why we do not have this rolling thread.
    There maybe points someone needs to discuss quickly in release notes or that for example sometimes modules do not work or cannot be installed when patch released.

wm-VR and Catacomber like this.
  33. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Re: Missing bug report numbers/details in the change log.

Whenever there's a new patch release to Unity, alot of the bugs fixes are not visible to people.
    For example, the latest patch release has:
    (none) - Global Illumination: Fixed a Reflection Probe baking issue when multiple scenes are used in a project.

The bug report # is not given. It would be good to know additional details here. We have spent time working around certain issues WRT reflection probes, and now need to know the details of the fixes. This is not sufficient information for us to do our own regression testing

Can Unity please ensure visibility to the bug fixes? Thank you for your understanding

Catacomber and MrEsquire like this.
  34. ScottyB

ScottyB

We were seeing this internally as well but when I went back to try and make a repo project, I couldn't get a good repo. Please submit a bug report if you can as this is quite annoying.

35. wm-VR

wm-VR

We try to get a repo until we have a clue what the cause could be. It's like to find a needle in a haystack.

It seems not only related to a crash. Yesterday we closed Unity appropriately and today it still starts re-importing all assets and continuned with "calculating asset hashes" after re-importing finished.

EDIT: When exploring Unity's Asset-folder inside the windows file browser I figured out that there is no icon anymore on unity- related files (*.unitypackage *.unity ... and more types) So probably there is a missing link between these files and Unity which is why unity trys to re-import them again and again. It's just speculation but we also can't start *.unity files by double-click anymore.

connection.png

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  36. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Have you checked the latest patch changelogs, i think something was mentioned about this but not sure. worth a read

37. KnuckleCracker

KnuckleCracker

In 5.3.4p2 this is in the patch notes:
    "(776268) - Mono: Make the Personal folder be the same on all profiles."

So in 5.3.4p2 (and still in p3) the output of the following code changes (just for Linux and OS X):
    System.Environment.GetFolderPath(System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments).
    That now outputs the path to ~, rather that ~/Documents.

System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments and System.Environment.SpecialFolder.Personal appear to have the same enum value (5).

This is a big, big deal for any game that relies on the MyDocuments location. If I release a game update built against 5.3.4p2+ I'll break tens of thousands of people's games (just the OS X and Linux users, windows didn't change). Not to mention their steam cloud backups.

Is it going to stay this way (where SpecialFolder.MyDocuments doesn't point to "Documents"), or is this some accidental side effect from fixing issue 776268? If MyDocuments is going to point to Personal, I'll have to manually add back in "Documents" to the path, but just on OSX and Linux. It clearly looks like an unintended result to me, but knowing how it will land and stay is important.

38. wm-VR

wm-VR

We figured out that the re-import process only starts when "Virtual Reality supported" is turned on AND saved as such. Then Unity starts to calculate hashes and so on after restart. When "VR-support" is unchecked before saving the project everything works perfectly well and Unity starts quickly.

Hope this could help someone else having the same issue.

39. Aedous

Aedous

Just found a crash bug using Unity 5.3.4p2 and 5.3.4p3.
    If you disable/delete (through code or via the editor) a parent GameObject with an animator, that has children that also have animators, the Unity Editor crashes. I haven't tested it on a build just yet.

Open Blank Scene
    Add a gameobject with an animator attached to it.
    Duplicate that gameobject as many times as you wish.
    Parent the duplicates to the first gameobject that was made
    Run the game
    Disable the main gameobject in the editor ( or put some code to destroy it after some time )
    Editor Crash.

I've also tested it with just one single gameobject with an animator being disabled or deleted, and works fine on both versions.
    Is it worth me filing a bug report? Let me know and I'll get one in ASAP :). Is there also a place to post this just in case anyone is wondering why their game is suddenly crashing in the editor?

40. r618

r618

yes it is

41. Aedous

Aedous

I actually found a similar one and up voted it, but seems to have been fixed in the latest patch 5.3.4p4

r618 likes this.
  42. einWikinger

einWikinger

Anyone else having issues with the p4 installer trying to overwrite your previous p3 installation no matter what? I specified a different target directory in the downloader and it'll pass it down to the /D= directive of the unity component installer, but that doesn't care about it and installs into the p3 directory. That's pretty bad for me as I keep an archive of all unity versions so I can easily switch around in case of regressions etc. so I'll have to reinstall the p3 when the p4 finishes.

43. Ravel

Ravel

So this time Unity is bundled with a virus ay?
    I noticed some suspicious activity on my computer when installing the new Unity. I installed it on my SSD drive and for some reason the regular drive started making sounds .. this seemed weird to me and I looked up resource monitor, and in networks tab I noticed a few instances of node.exe running. I googled it and all I got was that its about 45% dangerous and everything else says that its a trojan and a virus.

http://www.file.net/process/node.exe.html

And the surprise to me was that that file is located in the Unity's install folder.
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Tools\nodejs

My question is, what kind of tool is it?

44. einWikinger

einWikinger

It's just the nodejs executable (https://nodejs.org/). They use it to run some tools, like the cache server and other stuff (which I didn't get into investigating yet, maybe someone else knows more?)

45. tmslnz

tmslnz

I updated to 5.3.4 from 5.3.3 (OS X latest) and I am seeing a blank grey home screen when I open the editor. I've tried reinstalling, thoroughly removing & reinstalling, reinstalling 5.3.3, manually extracting the node_modules into ~/Library/Unity/Packages, etc.

Nothing seems to work, I can't use Unity. Any clues please?

46. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

maybe upgrade the graphics card drivers !?

47. rainbow_design

rainbow_design

There are some glitches in my version: 5.3.3f1 and i like to know if they have been fixed, since this would be reasons to update:

a) When i have a playing scene and minimize the unity editor by clicking on the unity icon in the windows status bar the editor starts to use a full processor core. When i minimize it with the button in the upper right it does not happen.

b) When a script hangs in an infinitive loop or takes long the whole interface becomes unresponsive so i cannot stop the execution and must restart unity loosing all unsaved work.

48. ladyonthemoon

ladyonthemoon

Hi,

I just noticed two or three things that do not work properly in 5.3.4f1:
    • adding new icons to empty objects works but they don't hold; I have to modify them again on reloading the project,
    • using the "open project" menu doesn't work; it closes the editor and do not launch the selected project,
    • reloading an unsaved open project and clicking on "don't save" in the dialogue box doesn't work; the project is saved anyway.
    I haven't installed any of the patches released yet because I have no idea if I have the bugs fixed by these patches or not and it is recommended that: "As always, patch releases are recommended only for users affected by those bugs fixed in that patch."

49. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Guys I think 5.3.5 was due to be released this week, delayed?.
    There has been lot of improvements and bug fixes between 5.3.4 and 5.3.5.
    I think worth the upgrade for sure.

50. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Seconded! I'm very excited for 5.3.5, hope it comes out in a few hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.