Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.2 released today

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alllen

alllen

5.2.1 p1 is out and this bug still isn't fixed. What's the story on that?

2. vakabaka

vakabaka

I have installed 5.2.1 p1 and my game-ui was completely destroyed (wrong placement, corrupted images). Other bugs from f1 were here too (like: "out of view frustum", some physics2D bugs...They are all reported by other people). So i am using f1 again. There are still some bugs, but not so critical for me as p1.

AdamLiu likes this.
  3. angel_m

angel_m

:confused:What is happening?

4. alllen

alllen

Found some more things.

in 5.2.1 (and p1), in DX11 borderless fullscreen, turning vsync on destroys performance. Putting it to fullscreen exclusive fixes it, but changing the resolution, alt-tabbing or changing fullscreen to windowed crashes the game.

Switching to DX9 fixes that, but then of course the UI is completely broken when changing resolution or switching from fullscreen to window and vice versa.

5. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

I encountered the same issue. My UI became a mess, some ui part even displayed an inverted clone of itself, which is absolutely weird and buggy. Going to reinstall the 5.2.1 f1. Hope the bug got fixed soon.

6. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I haven't gotten a lot of use of 5.2, lots of bugs, lots of ship-stopping bugs...

PhilGoddard360 likes this.
  7. AdamLiu

AdamLiu

Yeah, ship-stopping it is.

8. TobyKaos

TobyKaos

So many crash and slow down with 5.2.1 f1 and p1. Can we return to 5.1.3 if we have not made a backup?

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Make a backup and try. After backing up, delete the library folder and load it into 5.1.3.

10. TobyKaos

TobyKaos

I havent done backup before :( This morning I ve got a blue screen of death by creating Asset Bundles :(( Maybe I must do a clean install.

11. Paradoks

Paradoks

I just installed the latest version from 5.1.3.
    I got massive performance loss, from around 200fps to 100fps.
    Is there an official explanation for that ?
    When will the next patch be released ?

12. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Our support team and devs can't give an official explanation unless you give alot more information about your project; have you filed a bug report?

13. Paradoks

Paradoks

@Andy Touch:
    Slower build is not what a call a bug, i am used to get performance drop when a new version comes.
    I wondered if it was known that in some cases the performance could be lower.
    Now i just wait the next update before i send a bug report with my 2gigs project.
    So again, any date for the next update ?

14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I GOT THIS. But in my case, I got the issue in the editor after resuming my laptop from sleep. (It was fixed by pressing the play button)

16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This means that 3D gizmos are turned off... :D Go to the Gizmos dropdown in the scene tab and turn them on. I got this odd issue as well, until I found that.

Meceka likes this.
  17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I don't have that issue, and my scene has prefabs/non-prefabs... :D

18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

A bit off-topic, but that game of your's looks great! :) (Well, barring the half-screen bit though... :D)

19. angel_m

angel_m

+1

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Also depends on unity version; I saw a performance drop in original 5.0, but then next patchwas a whole lot faster, it all depends on what Unity's done with their latest build number. ;)

21. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

And here's why I wait... :D I actually haven't used a single patch release for this reason; it usually wise to wait for next release version rather than a patch, that way, most of the bugs are fixed. (There have been times where I seriously thought of using one though)

22. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

It is an issue; it's currently in the tracker with repro and being worked on.

23. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

We're starting to suspect a memory leak in 5.2.1p3. Remote profiling to a standalone build shows that C# gc is behaving as expected, recycling every 60s or so. However, memory usage in the Windows Resource Monitor (Commit, Working Set and Private) continues to climb upwards at around 1GB per hour. We're continuing to investigate so haven't reported a bug as yet.

Anyone else observing anything similar?

MrEsquire likes this.
  24. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Same issue here...

25. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Same performance issues on android here

26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

5.2.2 is live for anyone who missed it..

27. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I am trying it now, still the same poor performance.

MrEsquire likes this.
  28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Well I didn't expect the performance to improve as its basically patch releases with regression.
    Just letting people know who don't like to use patch releases but final builds.

29. Gokcan

Gokcan

Can you please be more specific? is it because of UI? what was your fps in 5.1 and what is it now?

30. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Watch this thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/la...per-slow-on-android-tablet-galaxy-tab.358533/
    My frames was 60FPS and now its 18FPS. Its not the UI.
    Its because before my older galaxy tab ETC1 compression was supported but now for some reason its not.
    They said: "On the GT-P5110 (PowerVR SGX GPU, no ETC2 support) You are hitting the path where RGBA textures are decompressed at runtime." Still no word if this will be fixed later on. I have tried everything, changed the compression otpions to ETC1, every combination but nothing works. Now I have to downgrade to 5.1.4 for the 4th time!

MrEsquire likes this.
  31. tinyant

tinyant

What about the support for Retina.Are they working on this?
    Waiting so so long time.:(:eek:

32. mikelortega

mikelortega

Actually, there is a memory leak in Unity 5.2 when shadows are active. You can check the issue ID 736709 in the Unity Issue Tracker. I hope it gets fixed soon, with many lights in the scene the memory use increases rapidly. If that's your problem, please upvote the issue. The problem is still active in 5.3 beta.

33. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've added my vote. Having retested it is indeed light shadows (in fact only our single directional light casts shadows) causing the memory leak.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

35. Karmate

Karmate

Android file size problem.
    Unity 5.2.1.p4 --> 32mb
    Unity 5.2.2.f1 --> 51mb
    Am i missing something?

MrEsquire likes this.
  36. MXAdd

MXAdd

There is another bug in 5.2.2.f1 (I have no time now to create repro case) - If you use occlusion culling, then in 5.2.2.f1 all the shadowcasting spotlights disappear (they are culled by occlusion culling) :/ (they work just fine in 5.1.3p4).

Also the 5.2.2.f1 is not very stable - it crashes A LOT when manipulating reflection probes, while there are ANY unbaked/custom reflection probes on the scene :/

Gua, MrEsquire and shkar-noori like this.
  37. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

same problem with spotlight shadows here, they work find in scene view but they don't work in game view.

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No problems with spotlight shadows here (OS X 10.9.5).

--Eric

39. mgear

mgear

40. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Update: Memory Leak When Shadows Turned On
    Aras jumped on this and it's now marked as fixed in 5.2.3. I know several Steam devs who'll be very happy about that. Thanks Aras/UT!

shkar-noori likes this.
  41. Mr.zizhen

Mr.zizhen

After updating unity to 5.2.2p1, the same 2d project in 5.1.3p1 FPS is 30 ;but in 5.2.2p1 FPS is 13.Nothing changed only release by diffirent unity version.Why? ?

MrEsquire likes this.
  42. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Did you try the solution I was advised ? "In the Texture Inspector select Texture Type "Advanced" and then Format "RGBA 16 bit".' I did not have time to do this. Try it and see if it makes a difference.

43. Mr.zizhen

Mr.zizhen

Thanks.I try the solution your advised.But the FPS is not improved obviour that is 17,and the image performance quality is reduced most.All game components are UGUI element in project.

44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Great but 5.2.3 - thats a months wait.. This is the problem waiting for bug fixes! Unity just not in any hurry

45. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Because they do not performance test stuff properly.. Good luck with all the hacks and hour search on forum to find solution, then hour logg bugs, the weeks wait for patch!

46. Dantus

Dantus

They have release guidelines to ensure better stability. Yes, that's a tricky one at the moment, I know, I am also having trouble with it. However, they can not just bypass their own rules because of a single bug. Yes, it is a regression and yes, it sucks. But just getting things in for the sake of it will definitely not help to make the overall situation better!

47. Dantus

Dantus

It is not possible to exclude issues with testing. For each such test, someone from Unity has to make it. We can easily help them by submitting bug reports about performance regressions, to inform them about those issues. Writing about some issue in the forum doesn't make the situation better.

48. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

A number of times you have mentioned this in the forums and I have not disagreed with you. But writing in the forums does make the situation better as it exposes issues and problems that it seems Unity QA are blinded to see. It helps other users know if its Unity bug or own bug, worst thing is spending days trying fix something you cannot do anything about as its Unity issue. I personally see your sick of people complaining and I personally am sick of stupid bugs (things that easily could be checked by manual QA tester appearing in each release) I don't ask for new features or hardcore latest graphics/VR etc. All one wants is mobile stability iOS and Android and both companies are pretty open and helpful (Apple and Google)

Some users who visit once in a while and submit a bug probably spend year working on one game and are happy submit bug report and wait a week or two to work on something else and the bug will get fixed. I'm in mobile development which is now a fast business and simply cannot wait around for fixes. Lot of the issues are mostly mobile related as you probably know because like myself your on the forums each day and reading the complaints. Latest example: Splash Launch Screens, this not even proper Unity bug but I have game ready and finished and this first thing customer of game sees and first thought omg this buggy already. First impressions count!

I think these days people just want some stability , no editor crashes, no random crashes, no fps drops on each release. The cycle will just continue, they release 5.3 buggy (because its all new features) what about the 5.2 bugs raised, 5.1 bugs raised. It will just carry on and on...Yes I understand its hard for them, but i seriously do not know whats happened from 4.6.9 stable (apart from Mac) to 5.0 (ok expected lot instability due to major upgrade) to 5.1.4 (getting mature and stable) ->5.2 oh noo

Anyway these are my thoughts and forums are place to express thoughts and communicate with other Unity customers etc, so no reason to try and hide/hush things that are problematic. End day Unity will always have new customers and business as its a great tool :)

elias_t and OrenMunkyFun like this.
  49. Dantus

Dantus

@MrEsquire, it is not my intention to have a lengthy discussion. Feel free to answer. But I won't continue the discussion here, because it is too off topic.

I completely agree that it is valuable to inform other users about issues. I seriously struggle to understand what the value is in statements like "the performance is not good on Android devices". There are tons of factors that can lead to this and it will not be possible for Unity to get rid of this.
    First, many Android devices simply suck. The drivers may also not be optimal and those are factors that are out of the scope for Unity as well. Unless they get valuable feedback about the devices, such that they e.g. may get in touch with the manufacturers or find a workaround for popular devices.
    Unity also made a lot of changes on their end. The OpenGL backend was completely reimplemented. As such, some defaults may have changed, such as the used OpenGL version, which can lead to issues in combination with drivers and devices. They may also use some functions differently which can lead to performance issues. They also directly support Intel CPUs now. That's new and it can lead to issues.
    Those are just some factors that have a tremendous influence when it comes to performance. It is literally impossible for Unity to test all combinations, with all possible Android SDKs, devices and driver versions. However, the people who experience problems, can share that information along with reproductions and help Unity and profit themselves.

"The performance is not good on Android devices" doesn't help anyone in my opinion. Maybe a user has made special adjustments for Android to get performance improvements that are not not anymore needed or even degrade the performance. It could also just be a UI issue in Unity. It can be a 2D issue, it can be a 3D issue, it can be anything.
    Without specific information, no one knows what can we can expect. We don't know whether issues are related and whether we can do something about it or not. E.g. if it is a Unity UI issue, I could choose to use NGUI or I could at least expect that this could be required. That is valuable information. On the other hand, if there are e.g. 2D issues without workaround, I will also know what to expect.
    Just stating that the Android performance is not good on the other hand, contains no valuable information. All it says is that at least that person has performance issues. We don't know what that person is using, whether it is a regression, what kind of configuration was used, on which devices it happened and which parts of Unity were used or if functionality was used that simply doesn't work on mobiles these days. In other words, there is no actual value.

Edit: I understand that others can get the impression that I hate complaints. This in not really true. I hate pointless complaints or complaints that have no actual value.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    sanpats likes this.
  50. avinash_singh

avinash_singh

hello friends !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.