Search Unity

5.2 released today

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SaraCecilia, Sep 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

unity-5-2.jpg

We've just released Unity 5.2 with the new Services Window for easy in-editor access to Unity Ads, Unity Analytics, Unity Cloud Build and Unity Multiplayer!

New deployment options include Windows 10 and Universal Windows Platform, there is a tighter Visual Studios integration and updates from the Services teams, all of which you can read about on the blog post.

Remember to back up your projects before downloading the latest version of Unity and check out the release notes.

Thanks again to all the Pro users who helped with testing and giving us feedback on 5.2 while it was in beta!

2. Mark-Currie

Mark-Currie

Interesting that Visual Studio Community 2015 is included in the Windows installer.

Good work!

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

And speedtrees are broken in OSX.

Note: Actually, you just need to select every tree you use, and regenerate the materials.

You know what would be nice? If when you introduce changes like this, you create an upgrade guide, so we don't have to hunt around to try to find out why things don't work.

It could say things like:

1. We got rid of Color.TryParseHexString, and moved it to a new class. Use ColorUtility.TryParseHTMLString instead. And we're sorry for introducing a breaking change in a point release for something this minor, but think of it as a good refresher on using #ifdef.

2. Find all your Speed Tree prefabs, select them, and see the warning in the inspector that they need to be regenerated. Press the generate materials button.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  4. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Procedural material instances seem to RebuildTextures to the same location? That brakes our stuff. Each instance should rebuild to its own unique location, like in previous builds.

Now when you update 1 entity, then every single instance gets updated as well. That cannot be intended behavior.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    mhussar and OrenMunkyFun like this.
  5. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

There is one listed at the top of the release notes. http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UpgradeGuide52.html
    However, it did miss the SpeedTree issue. Will poke the dev to add so it gets updated.

Something we missed for the script updater. It's fixed in p1 I think so it'll be auto-updated

Noted, and will see it gets added.

hopeful likes this.
  6. Jaimi

Jaimi

7. yuliyF

yuliyF

5.2 editor is freezes .. in 5.1.3 was fine

8. Mr-Podunkian

Mr-Podunkian

There's a major issue in Unity 5.2 since the beta that makes it unusable for any Unity UI using DX9 game that allows you to change the game resolution during runtime, either by pressing alt-enter or via scripting. The UI disappears completely. I submitted a bug report during U5.2F2, but I don't know if anyone's taken a look at it -- seems like a pretty big issue to overlook. The case number is #722618.

9. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

10. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Thank you for the bug report! Sadly, it seems to have been overlooked, but thanks for reporting it to get it addressed quicker in our patch process.

From the history, it was only found ~2 weeks ago, and made it to developers to investigate ~1 week ago. Still under investigation, but even if it was fixed immediately it would have missed the cutoff window for final and have been heading for p1.

11. TitanUnity

TitanUnity

12. yuliyF

yuliyF

freezing after every code compiling(VS2013+VC) or simple press CTR+S on scene.. but working an upper menu

13. rakkarage

rakkarage

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  14. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Supplied bug report regarding error with substances. Case number 725995.

15. lexacutable

lexacutable

16. MatrixTan

MatrixTan

the text control can't change color!

17. Velo222

Velo222

Cool! This scripting addition made me happy:
    • Physics: Added parameter QueryTriggerInteraction to all physics queries (raycast, spherecast, overlap) to allow any query to override whether or not the query should hit Triggers
    :)

18. aev

aev

I downloaded and installed with everything checked in the 5.2.0f3 installer however my editor is still MonoDevelop (built-in) and there's no option for Visual Studio 2015. I located the Visual Studio 2015 Path manually C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" and it seems to load scripts into VS now, but in the About of Unity I don't see that Visual Studio Tools for Unity are installed as indicated on this page:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudi...-2-and-visual-studio-tools-for-unity-2-1.aspx

What's going on? Is my install messed up?

19. Meceka

Meceka

"Memory saving for meshes with < 300 vertices if dynamic batching is off"

This is in GRAPHICS, LIGHTMAPPING AND SHADER IMPROVEMENTS 5.2 changelog

Can you please expand what this means?

20. AlexanderMil

AlexanderMil

Anyone having problems with Input.inputString in Unity Editor ?
    It returns empty string whatever keys I press on keyboard.

21. anmolmahatpurkar

anmolmahatpurkar

Unity 5.2: Profiling Empty Scene - Very high Graphics.PresetAndSync

After updating to the latest Unity version 5.2, just checked the profiler readings for an empty scene, on Android. The profiler is running on an Android Device, Model: Moto G2. The results are attached below.

Quality Settings are set on fastest. V-Sync is set to Don't Sync.

The Graphics.PresetAndSync takes up a whopping 13.5ms in an empty scene, empty project, which seems very scary for a mid-end Android Device.

Is this usual behaviour or is it something that I can be doing wrong?

Attached Files:

22. zugsoft

zugsoft

My games worked fine with Unity 5.1, and now with Unity5.2 my games crash immediatly on WindowsPhone and Android.
    Return to 5.1 for me.

Edit : The games works in debug only with Unity5.2, very strange.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You usually cannot disable VSync on mobile, so your setting is ignored. I believe the phone has 60 Hz refresh rate, which would mean that the engine idles for 13.5 seconds every frame while being busy 2.5 seconds every frame.

24. dreasgrech

dreasgrech

I'm constantly getting this exception when alt-tabbing from Visual Studio 2013 to the Unity Editor (v5.2) and it doesn't let me compile or press Play:
    The only way to get rid of the error is to close Unity and reopen the project again. Sometimes, I would need to close and reopen Unity multiple times before it goes away.

Any way how to resolve this?

25. L-Tyrosine

L-Tyrosine

26. cristian.flores

cristian.flores

I am also having issues with the Input.inputString, it returns always an empty string, this happened when I updated the Unity to 5.2.0f3.

Anyone know how to fix it? or any workaround for make it work? And just in case we know the use of Input.Key(""), but we don't want to use it :p

27. IntDev

IntDev

Some bugs (like this 696600) that were fixed in 5.1 are back in 5.2 :(. We had to install the 5.1 again.

28. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

29. anmolmahatpurkar

anmolmahatpurkar

Oh, Is there no way to fix this then? I am very curious because it goes as high as 45ms while testing the game that I am working on...

30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

If it's waiting longer than refresh rate time, then it's a different issue from the one you showed. Long time in present and sync might be just CPU waiting for the GPU to finish drawing. Or something else entirely. You can't just take it out of context and determine the cause.

31. Cool_Flow

Cool_Flow

Moving around in Unity Scene View with Right-Click Down and Using the WASD keys is very jagged and laggy. Ran perfectly smooth in 5.1.3 no matter how much I had in the scene view. Now nothing in the scene view and it's still jagged.

32. grogshotgames

grogshotgames

So I updated to 5.2 and all the data from the gameobjets on my scene was deleted. After more than an hour setting everything up, I saved the project and opened it in a different computer with 5.2 also...and surprise, everything was gone again.
    Please help with this bug.

33. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Yeah I got that too. Thank God for backups. After importing the project a second time, everything worked fine. Except substances not being possible to instantiate, so we went back to 5.1.3.

34. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

there's a new UI bug when scaling a parent child rect the child which is set to stretch in x and y does some weird snapping as soon as it is smaller as its size. Worked fine before with Unity 5.1
    See this gif:

The white square is a child of a rect panel.

howdisney likes this.
  35. goatytimes

goatytimes

Updated from 5.0.2f1 and now I can't select objects in the scene view anymore (except when using drag select).

Edit: I see there was already a topic on this. Though, now I have another issue in that deparented objects no longer appear in the hierarchy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  36. anmolmahatpurkar

anmolmahatpurkar

I understand. But as far as I know, the CPU would be waiting for a long time if there are a large number of draw calls to be finished. But that is not the issue here.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.09.25 pm.png

Here you can see Graphics.PresetAndSync going upto 42ms:

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.08.09 pm.png

Even the memory consumption seems to be pretty low.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.09.33 pm.png

But the problem is, the framerate drops due to the Graphics.PresetAndSync and I am still unable to figure out why.

The reason why I posted it here was, it was fine before I updated to Unity 5.2. The maximum time taken for Graphic.PresetAndSync would go upto 15ms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    MrEsquire likes this.
  37. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Incorrect. CPU would be busy if there were large number of draw calls, not waiting.

I'm not exactly sure whether Android supports GPU profiling, but did you try enabling it? It should be under Add Profiler option. Also, depending on the phone you're using, you might be able to use Adreno profiler to see what the GPU is doing.

38. AlBob75

AlBob75

I had a similar issue. I upgraded unity but there was no Visual studio option available.

I ended up completely uninstalling Unity and then reinstalling from scratch and that fixed it for me.

John-G likes this.
  39. anmolmahatpurkar

anmolmahatpurkar

The Unity Manual for mobile optimization says that GPU is used for drawcalls and not CPU. You might want to correct that then.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 1.18.00 pm.png
    Also, I tried using the Adreno Profiler to profile the GPU, but it didn't work. Is there any other way to profile it, or figure out the problem?

40. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You could try reducing the rendering resolution with Screen.SetResolution. If that helps a lot, it's definitely GPU being busy.

41. anmolmahatpurkar

anmolmahatpurkar

Just figured out. Yes it was a GPU thing. All the materials I was using for the particle effects had their shaders set as the normal shaders, instead of their respective mobile optimized ones. I can't believe after all my efforts to fix it, this was the silly thing that I didn't try before. The issue has been solved.

Thanks a lot for your support!

hopeful likes this.
  42. alphakanal

alphakanal

I miss the Target Eye setting on the Camera ?

43. Nihil688

Nihil688

My mecanim's window becomes empty losing all states when using an override controller...

44. alllen

alllen

Changing the resolution in 5.2 seems to break if changing to a non-native resolution. Happens in DX9/11 fullscreen and exclusive windows. Either by using Screen.SetResolution() or through the launcher.

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

In OSX, when I select "Open C# Project", it opens Xamarin Studio, Monodevelop, and a Finder window of my project. That's like 200% more stuff than I need it to open.

sanpats likes this.
  46. launchpad

launchpad

Input Field - Image Script component blocks cursor (actually inactivated by default image script). If you:
    1) deactivate input field image script cursor appears.
    2) replace input field image script with the UI image component - works fine.
    BUT
    3) add another default input field object to the screen and example 2 above cursor disappears?

47. johnsteinberg

johnsteinberg

I understand that the attached issue is fixed in 5.2.1, do you have a timeline for that patch release please? The errors are not only happening in the Editor, it is also happening on the actual mobile devices as can be seen in this report from our analytics backend.

Attached Files:

48. SeveneduS

SeveneduS

Same problem. On both Player and Editor.

49. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Sounds like they should have delayed this build from going public by a week or so, so that it included patch1 stuff.. It was advised in the beta forums that its not ready yet. unity team say patch 1 brings 140 fixes plus?? So guys think we wait till nxt week...

50. Gokcan

Gokcan

Too much bug in 5.2!

wikmanyo, hunterua, Lardalot and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.