Search Unity

5.1 is here

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

I'm sure everybody's projects are different. I had a slight FPS increase on my game after 5.1 on Windows Desktop DX11. I suspect that we are using different Unity features in our projects so our results will vary.

2. larku

larku

The point is the issue is on mobile.

MrEsquire likes this.
  3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This is a very true statement. :) My game did however have a huge performance increase after getting unity 5.0.1, so there's that. I am yet to try 5.1 myself, but after seeing the stupidity going on here... :D Probably better to stand back and watch the next bugfix come through! ;)

And you can't deny that MrEsquire's statement is also true, since it happened to my project to begin with. I wonder what sort of craziness will come out of 5.1 if I upgraded...

Anyway, I do hope they fix these obvious bugs soon, because I was really looking forward to 5.1 for the UNET library... :( can't try that now, since it looks too shaky to be worth it!

MrEsquire likes this.
  4. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

As standard with such a variety of different projects and games from users, we've probably missed some edge cases. There's no way to know how it affects your project without trying, so if it's not too long a cost for you: backup!, download and upgrade to see (and revert if it's a problem). It's hopefully a pretty minimal investment to find out.
    If you do have bugs, please submit them! We do test what we can, but that's a finite number of cases. Without specific information to see what the use case was, it may be a case we didn't cover and therefore missed.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Keyword is Mobile and not Desktop. Anyway everyone's project is indeed different but if I see lots of people ranting about same issues on the forums then I'm sure its not a edge case or specific to one individual. Thing is its not even that much problems at all its just the way they being addressed thats the issue. I hope 5.2 focuses on Mobile performance :) Anyway good luck everyone.

6. Colocarts

Colocarts

using last unity 5.1.0 running on windows and Building IL2CPP for ios Editor Bug.
    See picture of the editor error.
    to produce =>
    1/new project
    2/setting target of built to ios and player config to : IL2CPP/stripping to Byte Code
    3/ built from windows

Attached Files:

7. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Do you have a bug that you can report? Our performance test suite is still needing more cases, and perhaps your project may highlight something we should be adding...

8. xqtr123

xqtr123

I get the following message when I try to download via the Unity Download Assistant:

Failed to download the installer configuration.
    The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)
    http://files.unity3d.com/bootstrapper/2046fc06d4d8/unity-5.1.1f1-osx.ini

EDIT: Apparently it was my own fault. I had to be logged in to my admin account.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  9. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

The parallax shader isn't showing stereoscopy when using Unity's integrated VR.

The issue persists in Unity 5.1.1patch1.

I think this may be related to the fact that the integrated VR solution is using only one camera with some exotic matrix transformations. I may very well be wrong about this of course.

The parallax shader is very important in VR to convey accurate stereoscopy. Normal maps won't do.

EDIT: clarification

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  10. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

5.1.1patch1 seems to be a nice release with many changes and updates
    I suggest everyone tries the latest if they have issues.

11. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

In my original post I did not call out any platforms or refute anyone's performance results, so I'm not sure why every one is jumping on my for my post. :(

12. larku

larku

Hey @tbg10101_ I think the reason a few jumped in there is that you quoted @MrEsquire who's been having issues with Android/Mobile performance - in that context your reply seemed to miss the topic.

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

honestly, don't worry about it. ;) I only jumped on to find out which platforms got the "increase" you mentioned. :)

In fact, it's time I tried 5.1.1, it might be better. But then again... my internet hasn't been good lately! :D

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Quite frankly, I am not surprised at the amount of bugs that crop up as more get fixed; you guys have been banging out updates quicker than I have ever seen these days! :)

Shall unity 5.x become the best warrior in game dev land... ;)

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Fair enough then, I take your word, I shall try it. :)

16. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Getting bunch of errors after upgrading to 5.1.1, but this one seems most puzzling:

Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.MonoSymbolFileException: Symbol file `/Users/21e3rergthfg/Documents/Unity 5 Projects/Unity Project/Assets/SpriteSharp/Editor/LostPolygon.SpriteSharp.dll.mdb' does not match assembly `/Users/21e3rergthfg/Documents/Unity 5 Projects/Unity Project/Assets/SpriteSharp/Editor/LostPolygon.SpriteSharp.dll'
    Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.MonoSymbolFileException: Symbol file `/Users/21e3rergthfg/Documents/Unity 5 Projects/Unity Project/Assets/SpriteSharp/Editor/LostPolygon.SpriteSharp.dll.mdb' does not match assembly `/Users/Parametry/Documents/Unity 5 Projects/Unity Project/Assets/SpriteSharp/Editor/LostPolygon.SpriteSharp.dll'
    at Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.MonoSymbolFile.CheckGuidMatch (Guid other, System.String filename, System.String assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.MonoSymbolFile..ctor (System.String filename, Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CompilerServices.SymbolWriter.MonoSymbolFile.ReadSymbolFile (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module, System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.Mdb.MdbReaderProvider.GetSymbolReader (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module, System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleReader.ReadSymbols (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition module, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleReader.CreateModuleFrom (Mono.Cecil.PE.Image image, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition.ReadAssembly (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext.ReadAssembly (System.String assemblyPath, IAPIUpdaterListener listener, FileAccess mode, System.String[] searchPaths) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Core.AssemblyUpdaterContext.From (System.String assemblyPath, IConfigurationProvider configuration, System.String[] assemblySearchPaths, UpdaterMode mode, IAPIUpdaterListener listener) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.CheckForObsoleteAPIUsage (AssemblyUpdater.Application.CommandLineSpec config) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at AssemblyUpdater.Application.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It also keep crashing my project when I tried to load my old layout I saved:

Error while reading window layout: window #11 is null
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)

Failed to load window layout: System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.
    at UnityEditor.WindowLayout.LoadWindowLayout (System.String path, Boolean newProjectLayoutWasCreated) [0x00113] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs:507

Failed to destroy editor windows: #6
    ProjectBrowser
    InspectorWindow
    SceneHierarchyWindow
    SceneView
    GameView
    ConsoleWindow
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadDefaultLayout()

Failed to destroy views: #10
    SplitView
    DockArea
    SplitView
    DockArea
    DockArea
    MainWindow
    Toolbar
    AppStatusBar
    SplitView
    DockArea
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadDefaultLayout()

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    MrEsquire likes this.
  17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

For your first one, it looks like the debugging symbols are missing. Is UT sure they put them in? :D

As for the second one... looks like another hopeless 5.x case. :D

EDIT: Also, did you do a direct install over the older version? Might be good to fully uninstall unity 5 first before updating. (I fixed a couple of bugs in previous upgrades by doing this)

18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

What do you mean fully uninstall? I did the standard procedure of just renaming the old version to a version number, and then install the new one. I have heard people who just directly install on top of the old version and Unity will UNINSTALL the old version automatically I heard.

19. larku

larku

IF you're using Windows I think it's a far safer option to install Unity into a new location each time (ie, a newly unique folder name). I mean, if you have 5.0 installed into C:\Program Files\Unity and then you later rename that folder to say C:\Program Files\Unity_5.0 and then install install 5.1 to C:\Program Files\Unity , there will be old registry values still referencing the old install in the C:\Program Files\Unity folder.

I'm by no means saying this would cause the issue you're having, just pointing out in case it's of value for you.

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... It should, but I have had issues where the stupid windows permissions stuff up that process, leaving a broken update on the end! :D Happened to me TWICE on unity 4.x installs, and a couple of people at my school had the same issue last year, complaining that everyhting looked corrupted. (It sure did... :D some of the menu items were missing!) It is for this reason I suggested the above uninstall method. ;)

On that note actually, which OS do you use? I am assuming windows, and if that's the case, try running as admin if you haven't already.
    Well there's part of it. I usually just update over the top, but yea, that can stuff things.

21. larku

larku

I strongly suggest that running as admin is almost never a solution. I strongly suggest not doing this.

With regards to Unity install issues, I've installed nearly every release and patch that's been released by Unity since about 3.5. I still have them all installed in their respective folders (that's about 150GB of installed Unity :) ). Never once did an 'install over the top', never once did an uninstall, but every time I installed it into a unique location as described above.

I do this on both Windows and OSX.

Never have I ever had any install related issues with any install of Unity, ever.

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

My god your Hard disk must be full!!! :eek:

larku likes this.
  23. gyro_gearloose

gyro_gearloose

I can't find the answer to this anywhere else, but since I already have Unity 5.0.2 do I need to download all of 5.1.1? Is there any way of patching 5.0 to 5.1.1? I only ask because the installer tells me that 5.1.1 is over 5GB!!

If I do need to download the entire package again, do I need to uninstall my current version of Unity? I have OS X Yosemite, if that helps.

Edit : So far I've only been working through the roll a ball project so that I can start to learn Unity. Its not the end of the world if I have to download all of 5.1.1, but it would be nice if the website gave more information about upgrading existing versions of the software.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  24. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Could someone comment on when Unity VR will use two cameras instead of one. Why didn't they warn users that Unity VR is worse than the Oculus plugin?

25. larku

larku

No you need to download the whole installer - note the installer is about 1.3 - 1.5GB not 5GB.

No you do not need to, but I suggest installing to a different location than your current install (so you can always go back a version if needed). Just got to /Applications/Unity and rename that folder before installing the new version (I also rename the exe in the /Applications/Unity folder - I name them based on the Unity version.

26. gyro_gearloose

gyro_gearloose

Thats good to know.

Really? The Unity download assistant says that I'll need 5.8GB of space for Unity, the Web player, and the standard assets. Looks like I'm in for another long download.

27. larku

larku

I'm pretty sure that's referring to the install size, not the download size.

It's around 1.5GB download for the bits you've listed.

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The download is compressed, and it's uncompressed when you install.

--Eric

29. gyro_gearloose

gyro_gearloose

In the end it was just over 2GB to download everything. The installer could be a little clearer on download size vs installed size. Surely you'll need enough space for the download AND the install until the install is complete, and the installer deletes itself?

30. Que

Que

I successfully installed it. but when I launch the program. It is "Connection ..." forever, not able to run the program.

Anyone got this problem?

31. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

It runs very slowly for me as well, up to 5 minutes even though my project is already compiled for Unity 5. The color wheel just keep spinning and spinning (I am on OSX).

32. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

The installer deletes itself when it's done.

This is a common issue, try disconnecting from the internet and going into offline mode, others have had success with manual activation or removing their license file.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/checking-license-a-possible-licensing-error.333903/#post-2161720

33. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Could someone comment on when Unity VR will use two cameras instead of one. Why didn't they warn users that Unity VR is worse than the Oculus plugin?

I just need a comment from someone at Unity. Do you guys know about this issue even?

Is a fix coming or is this simply how Unity VR will function from now on?

34. Dantus

Dantus

I understand your frustration if something is not working. Nevertheless, this is not the appropriate way to get in touch with Unity. It is not too hard to find out that you can submit bug reports to Unity:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Before submitting the report, you may consider to check the issue tracker whether this bug was already submitted:
    http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/

In that case you can vote for it, such that Unity becomes aware of the importance.

35. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I have made a bug report over a week ago and haven't heard anything since.

I'm not frustrated. I just want to know whether the Unity devs consider it a bug in the first place.

36. Dantus

Dantus

In that case you should post your case number here, such that if someone from Unity wants to check it, they can quickly find it.

37. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Yes, please post your bug number, it would also be best if you created a separate thread about this.

38. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Why did they remove the ability to make the animator speed a negative value??

39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

They did? And I can probably guess what you are using that for... ;) (quick-n-dirty waking backwards animation!)

40. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Yup...screwed up my entire groove. I have to use the legacy system again :(

41. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I don't use mecanim... :D But good to see you were able to find a workaround. :)

43. chrismarch

chrismarch

44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

45. AlanLadd

AlanLadd

SSRR on the RoadMap has been moved to dec 5.3 :(

46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Probably too early to ask, but how stable has 5.1.2 been for other people? I wanted to know, since I am due to upgrade my 5.0.2 install to gain access to UNET for my project's multiplayer.

47. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, I backed up my project, installed unity 5.1.2, and had my working project converted... it won't recognize that theres TWO submeshes in my OBJ files! WTF?! The result is that my trees are screwed up now... :(

EDIT: Other than the forest in my game screwing up, the rest of the game works fine! :D

EDIT2: Fixed it, just had to re-export all my models... :D wasn't too much of a job! Still don't get though why it took a re-export just to get them working... o_O

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  48. Alex-Schumacher

Alex-Schumacher

We've upgraded to 5.1.2 a couple of days ago and are since then experiencing all kinds of strange bugs. Also, many critical bugs have not been fixed yet. For example the lightbaking is still broken (see issue 662813), which is a real show stopper. Note that our team is developing for PC, Xbox One and PS4, so I really cant' tell about mobile, but I would be very careful when updating to a new version.

49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Direct link for that, by any chance? I actually did the upgrade myself, and lighting... doesn't seem to be broken for me... :D
    What other things happened to you? (A comprehensive list isn't required though, just the major showstoppers!)

There has been a couple of times where unity crashed upon applying changes to a model, but then again, that was during play mode, which is probably not a good idea anyway... :D

And for the record, I can say now that UNET is almost too easy to setup! :) There are bugs with SyncVars not updating on clients though... I am yet to make a test case to see if it still occurs! (It's most likely a conflict in a script of mine)

EDIT: On that note too, since you mention console platforms... How bad have they been affected?

50. Alex-Schumacher

Alex-Schumacher

Hi, I meant this bug: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/stuck-at-clustering-jobs-when-baking-lightmaps
    This morning I tried the 5.1.2.p3 patch release but it didn't fix the bug. (Not that I did expect it to, but I wanted at least give it a try.) The only difference I noticed is that now the baking process is not always suspended properly when switching to play mode, making the game unplayable in the editor. Actually the last version I was able to bake our test scene with is 5.0.2p :(

Most other bugs we encountered were related to UI and physics. Oddly enough there were no problems with model importing (project is about 75 GB). We're trying to make a list and test it against different versions so I hope that I can soon provide you with further information should you need it.

When targeting Xbox One 5.1.2f1 almost always crashes when trying to edit the player settings or changing DLL import settings. Yeasterday it took five restarts to enter the title ID on a clean dev machine. There was also one 5.1.x patch release (can't remember exactly which one) where we couldn't even get Unity's own samples to work. PS4 runs fine though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.