Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Vectrosity - fast and easy line drawing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eric5h5, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_P_

J_P_

Setting orthographicSize to a static value (that isn't Screen.height/2) means the mouse position (according to vectrocity) is offset

(left with Screen.height/2 (220), right with 150)

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I guess I'm not clear on why the orthographicSize needs to be anything other than Screen.height/2.

--Eric

3. J_P_

J_P_

You're asking why I want to use an arbitrary value for orthographicSize?

I'd like to be able to zoom in/out in the level editor (I assume I'd do that by changing orthographicSize of the main cam and recreating the VectorCam accordingly). And more importantly, wouldn't setting orthographicSize to Screen.height/2 mean the FoV is dependent on the resolution?

edit: I'm not sure if FoV is the right term to use with an orthographic camera, but I did a simple test and yes different revolutions will essentially have different field of views if you set orthographicSize to Screen.height/2

edit2: I was hoping to use Vectrocity for this but it probably wouldn't be too hard for me to draw the lines with lineRenderer myself. Not a huge deal -- I'm not asking if you'd rewrite large chunks of Vectrocity for this particular functionality; was just checking if there was an easy/quick fix. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Zooming in and out of the level editor won't change the resolution though. The number of pixels is always the same at any zoom level, so the orthographicSize has to be Screen.height/2 for the line-drawing routines to work. You would recalculate and redraw the vector lines when zooming; one simple way of doing that is to scale a transform and pass that transform in when doing Vector.DrawLine(). The coordinates you use for line drawing are screen space, so (100, 100) would be at a different place on the screen when using different resolutions. If you need resolution independence then you use values based on Screen.width/height instead of hard-coded values.

--Eric

5. Samuel

Samuel

Eric, if you can give me a little tip how to implement this in general.

In the scene I have two main layers: Cockpit and Environment, each has it's own camera and the cockpit's camera (Main Camera tag) is controlled by the player so he can zoom and look around.

I want to draw some basic graphics on several mashes in the cockpit.

I took most parts from your 3d example, some from the xray. and pasted it as a component in one of the mashes I'm trying to draw. But i have no clue what I'm really doing.

No errors, but it will draw the box with no relations at all to the mesh's location. Any tip would be very appreciated, Thanks.

6. StephenL

StephenL

Holy crap, this is awesome! :D

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I think the main problem is the line about transform.localScale, since that scale is going to be applied to the vectorLine too. Generally you should model things at the size you're going to use rather than use scaling.

--Eric

8. blastone

blastone

Does this work with unity3 ( My Tank scene spat out a few red error messages )
    And does this engine support backface culling so I can get some nice depth to my 3d objects?

Thanks for the tips

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes, if you don't have Vectrosity 1.1 send me a PM with the email address you used to buy Vectrosity.

If you mean hidden line removal, not directly, but you can emulate it by using the DrawLine3D function in Vectrosity 1.1, in combination with rendering the actual mesh object using a solid-color shader that's the same color as the background:

See page 23 of the Vectrosity 1.1 docs for another illustration of rendering both the "real" object and the vectors at the same time:

Using DrawLine instead of DrawLine3D means the lines are always drawn on top.

--Eric

10. col000r

col000r

Just bought Vectrosity!

Great stuff, but I was hoping it would be a bit simpler to use. I don't want to have to worry about all the stuff that goes on in the background.

All I really want is to draw a 1px AA line from one Vector3 point in space to another with a simple one-line command like Vector.DrawLine(from, to, color) - Is it possible to write a wrapper that handles all the other stuff automagically?

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate that this is a powerful package and I can't wait to find time to dig deeper, but all I really want right now is to draw lines with as little effort as possible...

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You actually don't have to worry about any of the stuff that goes on in the background if you don't want to; the info is there so you know how line-drawing works, for when you need to do something more complex. It's possible I haven't simplified the presentation enough in the docs though (information overload?). I'd suggest looking at the examples in the VectrosityDemos package, like the Simple2D line script. You can replace the Vector2s there with Vector3s, and declare the array in-line:

Code (csharp):
    1. var lineMaterial : Material;
    3. function Start () {
    4.     Vector.SetCamera();
    5.     var line = new VectorLine("3DLine", [Vector3(-1, -1, 3), Vector3(1, 1, 3)], Color.green, lineMaterial, 1.0);
    6.     Vector.DrawLine(line);
    7. }
    The color can come from the material, depending on the shader, so you could leave the color out. You could also leave out the variable declaration and include that within Vector.DrawLine (assuming you don't need to update the line again later since you won't have a reference to it); it's only done like this to make the code more readable.

Vectrosity 1.2 (which I would like to have on the Asset Store) has a couple of further simplifications. For one, you can leave out the material, and it will make a basic one for you. Also, you can leave out Vector.SetCamera, and it will be called for you when necessary, as long as your camera is tagged "Main Camera". So you can do this in Vectrosity 1.2:

Code (csharp):
    1. function Start () {
    2.     Vector.DrawLine(VectorLine("3DLine", [Vector3(-1, -1, 3), Vector3(1, 1, 3)], Color.green, null, 1.0));
    3. }
    In the meantime, you can add this function to the Vector script:

Code (csharp):
    1.     public static void DrawLine (Vector3 v1, Vector3 v2, Material mat) {
    2.         if (!cam) {
    3.             SetCamera();
    4.         }
    5.         Vector3[] points = {v1, v2};
    6.         DrawLine (new VectorLine("Line", points, mat, 1.0f));
    7.     }
    Then you can do this:

Code (csharp):
    1. var lineMaterial : Material;
    3. function Start () {
    4.     Vector.DrawLine(Vector3(-1, -1, 3), Vector3(1, 1, 3), lineMaterial);
    5. }
    It could be worth adding that to Vectrosity 1.2 as well; then you could specify the color without needing a material. The main drawback being that you can't update the line after it's drawn. Maybe a DrawLineOnce function?

--Eric

12. God-at-play

God-at-play

I like the idea of DrawLineOnce. Can you e-mail out 1.2 once it's ready or otherwise notify customers? It seems kinda backwards to have to poll you for new versions, this should be event-based. :p

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I agree. I would like to move distribution over to the Asset Store, so updates will be automatic, which will make things easier for everybody. :) In the meantime I apologize for any inconvenience. I did hear back from UT a few days ago, so at least things are slowly heading in that direction. I hope in the future there won't be such long delays, though I understand about getting nailed with a bunch of submissions all at once.

--Eric

14. col000r

col000r

That was quick, thanks a lot, Eric! With 1.1 and DrawLine3D I now got it to work pretty quickly!

But to make things even easier for me I've started building a singleton that I drop into the scene once, and then I just call the singleton from all over the place and it adds lines to an array (resized as necessary) and draws all of them at once... (just like Debug.DrawLine... *comfortable sigh*)

I'll post it just in case anyone finds it useful (or wants to improve my hacked-together-in-30-mins-code :))... It's based on Ippokratis' blogpost and the singleton from the wiki. thanks! Feedback and improvements are very welcome!

LinePainter.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class LinePainter : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     private static LinePainter s_Instance = null;
    8.     public static LinePainter instance {
    9.         get {
    10.             if (s_Instance == null) {
    11.                 s_Instance =  FindObjectOfType(typeof (LinePainter)) as LinePainter;
    12.             }
    14.             if (s_Instance == null) {
    15.                 GameObject obj = new GameObject("LinePainter");
    16.                 s_Instance = obj.AddComponent(typeof (LinePainter)) as LinePainter;
    17.                 Debug.Log ("Could not locate an LinePainter object. LinePainter was Generated Automaticly.");
    18.             }
    20.             return s_Instance;
    21.         }
    22.     }
    24.     //Vectrosity
    25.     public Material lineMaterial;
    26.     public Color lineColor = Color.white;
    27.     VectorLine gravityLine;
    28.     public Vector3[] linePoints = new Vector3[0];
    29.     public int counter = 0;
    32.     void Start () {
    33.         Vector.SetCamera3D();
    34.         gravityLine = new VectorLine("gravityLine", linePoints, lineColor, lineMaterial, 2.0f, 0, LineType.Discrete, Joins.Open);
    35.     }
    38.     void LateUpdate () {
    40.         if(linePoints.Length < counter || linePoints.Length > counter){
    41.             Debug.Log("Resize " + linePoints.Length + " to " + (counter));
    42.             Vector3[] thePoints = new Vector3[linePoints.Length];
    43.             thePoints = linePoints;
    44.             linePoints = new Vector3[counter];
    45.             int max = linePoints.Length;
    46.             if(thePoints.Length < max) max = thePoints.Length;
    47.             for(int i = 0; i < max; i++) {
    48.                 linePoints[i] = thePoints[i];  
    49.             }
    50.             Vector.DestroyLine(gravityLine);
    51.             gravityLine = new VectorLine("gravityLine", linePoints, lineColor, lineMaterial, 2.0f, 0, LineType.Discrete, Joins.Open);
    52.         }
    54.         // Draw the line
    55.         Vector.DrawLine3D(gravityLine);
    56.         counter = 0;
    57.     }
    60.     public void DrawLine(Vector3 point1, Vector3 point2) {
    61.         if(linePoints.Length - 1 >= counter + 1) {
    62.             linePoints[counter] = point1;
    63.             linePoints[counter + 1] = point2;  
    64.         }
    65.         counter += 2;
    66.     }
    69.     // Ensure that the instance is destroyed when the game is stopped in the editor.
    70.     void OnApplicationQuit() {
    71.         s_Instance = null;
    72.     }  
    75. }
    Just put it on an empty GameObject and you can call it from anywhere by doing:
    Code (csharp):
    1. LinePainter.instance.DrawLine(from, to);

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Vectrosity 1.2 now available! I was hoping to have moved distribution over to the Asset Store by now, but that hasn't happened. So once more I'll have to ask for your patience, and those who want the upgrade should contact me with the email address you used when you bought Vectrosity. New sales get 1.2 automatically.

Anyway, here's the changelog:

Additions:
    • Vector.SetColorsSmooth for making line segment colors blend smoothly.
    • Vector.SetLine and Vector.SetLine3D for making basic lines as simply as possible.
    • A VectorPoints class, for using Vector.DrawPoints without the hacks that were required previously.
    • A new example script in the VectrosityDemos package: DrawLinesTouch, for touchscreen line-drawing.

Changes:
    • Passing in "null" for the line material will use a default material, which works properly with vertex colors and the line depth parameter. Useful if you just need a standard line material without any textures.
    • Vector.SetCamera is optional now. It will be called for you when necessary, as long as your camera is tagged "Main Camera". (If not, you can still call it manually.)
    • Vector.MakeCurveInLine, Vector.MakeRectInLine, and Vector.MakeCircleInLine/MakeEllipseInLine work for 3D lines as well as 2D lines.
    • Vector.SetCamera has an additional parameter, useOrtho (default is false), which makes the vector camera be orthographic. This can make lines render slightly more accurately, but may cause anomalies with 3D lines in certain cases.
    • Dynamic typing removed from DrawCurve.js in the VectrosityDemos package, so it will build on mobile devices.

Aside from being updated with the changes/new features, the first few pages of the documentation have also been redone, so as to hopefully avoid the wall o' text/information overload effect it might have had previously. The understandable "I just wanna draw a line!" has resulted in Vector.SetLine:

Code (csharp):
    1. function Start () {
    2.     Vector.SetLine (Color.yellow, Vector2(50, 100), Vector2(120, 250));
    3. }
    This draws a single-pixel-width line immediately, using the specified color. You can add as many points as you want (there must be at least two) and it will draw a continuous line using those points. You can use Vector3 instead of Vector2. There's also Vector.SetLine3D for 3D lines that exist in the scene. It returns a VectorLine, so if you assign it to a variable, you can still do stuff with it later if desired. That way it's as simple as possible, but still has some flexibility.

--Eric

16. r618

r618

Hello,
    I just noticed that vectrosity is available on the Asset store - congratulations :)
    Is it possible the get the 1.2 update from Asset store if I have previous version or do I have to buy it again from there ?
    ( same goes for other packages such as brady's ezgui and sm2 I guess )

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Unfortunately there's no mechanism for promo codes like on the Apple App Store, or anything else to give people free copies. I hope that's something they add in the future, but right now you'd have to buy it again. What I can do is refund 70% of the purchase price from the Asset Store (that's all of my share). Email me a copy of the receipts from both purchases and I'll Paypal you the refund. If you don't have the receipt from your original purchase, just say what email address you used when buying it. I hope that's not too terrible...if someone has I better idea, I'm interested. The good thing about the Asset Store is all further updates would be pretty much automatic. But if you want a 100% free update, you can still PM me and I'll send you 1.2 manually.

--Eric

18. r618

r618

Thanks for the info. Considering the price it's the least hassle to purchase it again ;]

19. Jason-King

Jason-King

Hi Eric,

I just purchased Vectrosity from the Asset Store and imported it into an empty project. If I switch to the Tank Zone scene and run it, I am getting the following error messages...

UnityException: Input Axis KeyRight is not setup.
    To change the input settings use: Edit -> Project Settings -> Input
    PlayerMove.Update () (at Assets/Vectrosity/_Tank Zone/Scripts/PlayerMove.js:158)

Forward and backward work, but left, right and fire do not.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Jason

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Hmm, I thought the input manager settings are supposed to come along with the package. (Normally this doesn't happen with .unitypackages, but the Asset Store should have some enhancements in that area.) Sorry about that! The non-Asset Store docs have a page for Tank Zone settings; apparently I need to add that page back. In any case, here they are:

--Eric

21. Onyx

Onyx

I've just found a problem with Vectrosity and the Editor. Most of the demos aren't working if Dynamic Batching is turned ON. Turn it OFF and all the demos work properly.

Does that mean we can't use Batching on iPhone with Vectrosity? Or is that only a problem in the editor?

Thanks,

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It's actually only a problem with the Windows editor as far as I know. On OS X I have no issues with dynamic batching.

--Eric

Attached Files:

23. Onyx

Onyx

Simple line drawing seems to work. Have you tried the demos, for example Grid or Highlight? With Batching On, they don't work correctly, and with Batching Off, they work properly (in the editor).

Edit: Correction, it's unrelated. Please see my post below.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  24. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Has anyone built a HUD with Vecrosity yet? I'm interested in creating a HUD that can be scaled to whatever the webplayer size happens to be and Vectosity seems to be the best way to do it.

@Eric - I read that at one time you had thought about adding a font to Vectrosity's features, any further plans for this? My HUD could certainly use it.

25. Onyx

Onyx

Finally, It seems to be unrelated to Batching. It was just a coincidence that it worked when I turned it Off. I think it's related to the editor window size. At first I open the project and the default window size is selected (Free Aspect).

If I start the game in the editor, most of the demos are not displaying the Vectors. If I change the resolution to something else, after a couple of changes, it works.

I am not using Maximize on Play.

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's weird, I have no issues with any window sizes.

There didn't seem to be any interest, but I guess there is some now. ;) The Tank Zone demo has vector font rendering already, so it would be a matter of probably cleaning it up and making it "official".

--Eric

27. Killjoy

Killjoy

(not topic related)

Hi Eric ,

I'd just like to say thank you for all the help you provide the Unity Community. I've been using Unity for almost a year and I don't think I've had to ask a question yet as a search eventually finds me a solution whether it's in the docs, the forums or Unity Answers. But more often than not I stumble upon an answer that has been written by you in a quick, concise and easy to understand manner, sharing words, code and even projects. You've set me on the right track more than a few times and I'm sure I'm not the only lurker that has benefited from your generous sharing of knowledge.

So, that's all I wanted to say, is thanks. I think you've saved many more people from frustration and made it a pleasure to work with Unity by your selfless contributions than you know. I salute you, sir.

28. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Here, here! :)

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Why thank you. :)

--Eric

30. Werit

Werit

For some odd reason, the Vectrosity demos are not working for me, they just won't play.

Before I pull the trigger on this... I assume it is capable of making simple grids.. like Tic Tac Toe? Thanks!

Player issue solved, Firefox needed to be restarted. Looks good!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  31. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Hi Eric,

I just purchased Vectrosity, and it's working pretty well so far. Of course, I have a few questions... :)

Particularly, I need to make the dashed line in your example work in a Vector3 array. The SetTextureScale only seems to work on Vector2 arrays.

Alternatively, there may be a way to make the Vector2 line display where the Vector3 line should be, by (I assume) setting the z position, but I haven't figured out how.

Any thoughts/suggestions/admonishments?

32. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Oh never mind, I got it. :)

Hey Eric, I just want to say thanks a lot for all the help you've been on the forum over the years. I know you've personally answered a few of my threads in the past, and when I bought this plugin and saw that you were the creator, I knew my money was going to a good home.

Cheers, buddy.

33. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Actually I just implemented that for 3D lines. :) I thought about that a little bit originally but I wasn't sure how it would work, however now it's pretty obvious (WorldToScreenPoint of course). That will be in the next update, but let me know if you want the new function now.

--Eric

34. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Actually it seems to be working ok, there's another problem I'm running into however which I hope you can give me a quick hand with:

The player draws a line, and the character follows it. I need the line to erase behind the character as he travels over it. I'm using push to add points to the end of the array and removeAt to remove them from the top. Unfortunately, this causes the animation of the dashed lines to skip as it redraws the line each frame. Is there a way to store this variable, so it can keep a smooth update, rather than skipping?

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Hmm...would it work to keep the entire line, and "erase" behind the character by using a color array, and setting the alpha of the segments you want to remove to 0? (By using Vector.SetColors.)

--Eric

36. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

That sounds even better, if I can just figure out how to do it :) I'll let you know if I need help, but I've got a pretty good idea now.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

37. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Ok, I guess I need a clue :)
    I am trying to keep a running array of colors that updates which are Color.clear as the character moves over points in the line.
    Unfortunately I keep getting an error message: "the line "myLine" has no vertex colors."

Any ideas?

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You'd need to create the line with a Color array initially, or at least some kind of color so that the vertex colors are created:

Code (csharp):
    1. var line = VectorLine("Test", linePoints, Color.white, lineMaterial, 10.0);
    --Eric

39. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Oh awesome, it's working perfectly now. Thanks a million man.

40. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

Hi Eric, one more question: Is there a way to make the vector cam follow my normal camera? As it happens, the vector lines stay stationary on screen while my camera scrolls. I've tried parenting it to the other camera, but the movement rate is way too slow.

Any suggestions?

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Normally you'd update the vector lines every frame, but if you use DrawLine3D, then the lines are actually drawn in the scene (and the vector camera isn't used), so they'd behave like any other object. The lines would still need to be updated every frame if the camera perspective changes, but if it's just moving laterally, then that's not necessary.

--Eric

42. bbvrdev

bbvrdev

That sounds like a much easier solution than what I'm trying :)
    I would need the 3d animated dashed line solution, can you help with that?

43. bfogerty

bfogerty

Hi! I just purchased Vectrosity however unfortunately your demo scenes don't appear to work with my standard version of unity. For example, when I open and run the ScribbleCube example, I see nothing other than the star skybox. I don't see any lines and I don't see any additional information in the console. When I run the object selection scene, there isn't a bounding box placed over the sphere when I select them. Any ideas what is going on here? Thanks!

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Make sure you read the section in the docs about Unity 3 (basically, maximize on play is bugged).

--Eric

45. bfogerty

bfogerty

Ok so is there any way to work around this issue in the editor? It doesn't seem to work even when the editor isn't maximized. It kind of stinks that I have to export the game as an exe before I can see the changes. Thanks!

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, it should work fine in the editor if you don't use maximize on play, or if you maximize the window yourself before playing.

--Eric

47. bfogerty

bfogerty

Here is a snap shot of what I am seeing. The editor is not maximized and then I click play. I only see the cube for a frame or so then it disappears. It doesn't seem to matter what resolution the editor is in.... Any ideas? Thanks!

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Some people using Windows seem to have problems if dynamic batching is on; try turning it off and see if it helps.

--Eric

49. Slem

Slem

Eric, you talked about adding TextureScaling for Lines drawn using 3D. Is this something you will make available soon?

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes, I have one more feature to add to Vectrosity 1.3, and then some more testing (and docs updating), so it shouldn't be too long.

--Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.