Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AddExplosionForce Issue

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DragonFlame, May 24, 2010.

1. DragonFlame

DragonFlame

Hello, been having a probelm using AddExplosionForce for quite some time now.

The problem im having is that I have a missle that when collides with a capsule collider it Adds an Explosion Force at the location of the missle on impact but for some reason it only affect the Y velocity. I am aware that there is an upwardsModifier but I have it set to 0 so I know thats not the problem. I have also checked that the explosion is in fact being created where the missle was.
    The player capsule doesnt have gravity applied to it and it is restricted to the x and y axis as its a 2.5d game.
    The odd thing is that on a very rare occasion it seem to work correctly for a while but then stops again after a few missle hits.

Does anyone know what the likely cause would be?
    I have been searching the net and this forum for a few days now while trying many differnt things to get it to work. I know its most likely a simple thing to fix but I just cant work it out.

Code (csharp):
    2. private var radius : float = 1.5;
    3. private var power : float = 5.0;
    5. var explosionPos = thisMissle.position;
    6. var colliders : Collider[] = Physics.OverlapSphere (explosionPos, radius);
    8. //For Each Object it Hits and that has a Rigid Body apply Explosive Force.
    9. for (var hit in colliders) {
    10.     if (!hit)
    11.     continue;
    13.     if (hit.rigidbody){
    14.         hit.rigidbody.AddExplosionForce(power, explosionPos, radius, 0);
    15.     }
    16. }

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Can you post the section of code you are using to restrict the player to X/Y movement?

3. DragonFlame

DragonFlame

Thanks.
    It seems I have just worked out the problem; trust me to do something like that after I ask for help.
    Such a simple thing I should have noticed it before.

Thanks for the reply anyways.
    I was using a basic thisShip.position.z = 0; if you were curious. I tried thisShip.rigidbody.position.z = 0; also but it seems to do the same thing.

For anyone that is having a similar problem, my ship has a capsule collider with a rigid body attached but also has a spherical trigger which is used to detect things around it which I totally overlooked, the way the AddExplosionForce is coded above it checks to see if it hit a rigid body regardless if its a trigger or not and applies the force.

4. binary01

binary01

I am having the same issue as DragonFlame, but I do not understand his solution.

I am building a FPS and the user can shoot 'fireballs' at an enemy who is essentially a floating egg. The enemy is a Prefab containing a Rigidbody and a Sphere Collider. The Rigidbody does not use gravity and the collider is not a trigger.

The problem is that with a direct hit, the enemy only moves upwards in the y position and rotates. He does not move in the x or z.

5. binary01

binary01

So it's not only a problem with my enemy prefab, I am just not using AddExplosionForce() properly? I am having the same issue with a cube object that does have gravity applied to it. When I apply AddExplosionForce(), it only 'explodes' upwards and not outwards at the same time.

6. miroslaw

miroslaw

did u ever solve this? i'm having the same issue. here goes to hoping i'll get a reply

7. misterkid

misterkid

I don't have any weird issue well didn't had any I got this.
    I hope it might have the solution in there :eek:
    It just works as expected.
    Code (csharp):
    1.         Collider[] colliders = Physics.OverlapSphere(this.gameObject.transform.position, explosionRad);
    2.         for (int i = 0; i < colliders.Length; i++)
    3.         {
    4.             if (colliders[i].gameObject != this.gameObject)//I should not hit myself!
    5.             {
    6.                 if (colliders[i].rigidbody)//It needs to be a rigedbody!
    7.                 {
    8.                     colliders[i].gameObject.rigidbody.AddExplosionForce(explosionForce, this.gameObject.transform.position, explosionRad, 3.0f);
    9.                 }
    10.             }
    11.         }

8. Will_at_BridgeWorxGames

Will_at_BridgeWorxGames