Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sculptris modeling tool

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by _Petroz, May 24, 2010.

1. Deygus

Deygus

Wrong, I disagree. This is where alot of people get confused about Sculptris and begin bashing it and comparing it to other softwares. Yes Blender, Mudbox, and 3ds Max are designed to with better workflow however, the learning curve for them is incredibly high especially if you are new not to mention the mess of tutorials that jump from this to that to this and back again which are uneasy on the mind that is trying to learn, been there done that and out of all the programs out there Sculptris has kept things simple along with its ability to export via DoZ right into zBrush which is just as compatible and more sophisticated, a bit more complex than the rest but once you begin learning in sculptris, zbrush only gets easier to learn since the two go hand in hand not to mention both are highly workable with complex meshes, exports, bumping, and textures. Both work well with unity and I stand by that. I've been told otherwise but after experimenting on my own I choose sculptris and zbrush overall when and where possible. Alot diss it and say it's just pipeline but must tell you that I disagree with you.

2. Deygus

Deygus

You can, you have to make sure you ' Export ' it instead of just flat out saving the object and importing it into unity.

3. Tiles

Tiles

What a wall of text. And what massive lack of knowledge, sorry to say that :)

Sculpting is one step in creating a character, not the whole process. Sculpting a game character means usually to end in a mega poly count range when you add the needed detail. That`s why it is not suited to be used in a game engine directly. It is too big. It has no proper edgeflow for animation. You can`t really unwrap a megapolymesh in a for a game engine useful manner. You need to retopology the result.

And when you count my words as a bash towards Sculptris, then you haven`t understand a single word. I am just against saying that the tail makes the whole cow. It is not, it`s just the tail.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I support the OP here. We think using zbrush or sculptris is an ideal way to make low poly models faster than modelling low poly from scratch in high end packages. This is because the retopo tools and (in sculptris case, low poly brush) offer very fine control and high speed workflow. Combined experience in the team is around 80 years at the moment, so I think we have a rough idea of how useful sculptris and zbrush are for all target types of mesh.

There was really no need to flame the OP, I think he kept his cool rather well, in the face of random and mindless trolling from people with no experience.

5. Tiles

Tiles

But you need to retopo, right? And you cannot do this with Sculptris alone, right? And that`s what i`m saying in the whole thread here. Because some people here really thinks that you can make your game art just with Sculptris alone, which you can`t. Nothing else do i say. Sculptris and sculpting alone brings you nothing. It is not the whole cow, just a part of it.

The usual way goes still across a poly modeled basemesh. Then sculpting and retopo. And some still go the other way around. Polymodeling, then sculpting for the normalmap.

There`s absolutely no need to introduce the words trolling or flaming here by the way.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  6. nukeD

nukeD

i haven't read any of the posts, so... sorry

the hi-res model is completely made and painted in sculptris >>> retopo, unwrap and texture bake in 3dCoat.

7. Tiles

Tiles

Yeah, great, green with that. Valid workflow. And Sculptris is part of the pipeline. That`s what i have meant.

I once had a folk that asked me for help to directly unwrap and rig a 500k Sculptris mesh for a game though. And to repeat it, this is not a valid workflow then.

8. nsterken

nsterken

Wow, what a thread, read the whole thing... lol

Anyway, nuke, I am new to modeling and am getting into it initially to make dynamic, animated models which will be scripted with i3d's, lua and xml files. The texture maps can be anything but the AO maps look the best in the game I play, Farming Simulator 2011.

Now I create my meshes starting from a single vertice, in a purely CAD type way (these are machines, implements and tractors. Some organic uses are for flora and fauna, although, to date, no one has successfully modded an animated animal into the game.

My question to you duke is how I can make the most beneficial workflow. My models are started in Blender 2.6.2 or 2.6.4. I choose this because it is free and I use the measurement to make sure I will have a correct sim scale of 1:1 in the game. Great.

Now, once my model is done, where might I go from there? From what I have gathered so far, would I want to go to Sculptris with the .obj to make a uv map and export the normals map (dont even understand what a normals map is yet)? I want to make an AO texture so for that, I'm guessing I'd have to back to Blender. And what is this xNormal?

As you can see, I am a total newb and finding relevant information concerning my particular simulator there is a lack of resources for almost everything from modeling to lua scripting.

I was most impressed by your post and the Hippo guys posts. What would your thoughts be for a decent workflow to get the lowest ploycount with great detail?

9. FeebleOne

FeebleOne

nukeD, I am curious why you just didn't use the Sculpting tools in 3dCoat? Were you doing a proof on concept, or do you find Sculptris a better sculpter?

10. Pix10

Pix10

I wish you'd started a new thread to ask this - I feel dirty after reading the first page and thinking what on earth. (I agree with Hippocoder btw, despite the guy's misinterpretations there was absolutely no reason to rain down on him...educate, don't throw rocks).

Anyway, UVs... you want to create a second UV set on the model brought in from Sculptris, and project/bake your texture onto these. I don't use blender but this is a common operation so easy to google, i.e.:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?251442-Troubles-baking-projected-Texture-to-UV-texture

Edit: Sorry, just realised you may already know about this -- to answer the 'can I do it in Unity' question, afraid not, unless someone's released a UV mapper in the store that I've not seen yet.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  11. goat

goat

Seriously, folks using repulsive terminology like necro need to step away from your computer and the television and go outside a while.

12. nukeD

nukeD

This biker is completely done in sculptris and animated in blender (no animations in this version of web player though), so YES Sculptris is a capable program and is used in commercial products.

click the image to interact

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013