Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dead Redemption - Animated Shadow Maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tinus, May 17, 2010.

1. Tinus

Tinus

I was just looking at some footage of Rockstar's new game, Red Dead Redemption, and I noticed a graphics technique I haven't seen anywhere else.

You can see it clearly on a horse' legs. As it moves, its muscles the shadows/normal maps seem to be animated, and it really suggests the underlying muscular structure. Look at this for example, at about 20 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0G5v4RcbUs.

I'm not that big on fancy shader techniques, so I was wondering if anyone more experienced had an idea on how they achieved that specific effect, and whether it has been used before.

(Note: Nope, can't see the effect in a still image. ;))

2. Seraphim

Seraphim

I'd say it's more than likely done with a ray-casting calculation. I mean, given animated shadows are done all the time in video games on the ground, I don't see why they couldn't achieve a similar effect with a light ray-cast calculation done through the graphics engine.

That's my thought on it.

3. Ender13

Ender13

I've seen this kind of thing pop up a lot lately. Another sort of effect is like in MLB 10 The Show on the PS3, where the jersey 3d model's vertices flex and fold realistically like cloth, but not like just two morph targets or anything. It seems like the full range of motion affects the cloth realistically in many dynamic ways. It seems like there's a bit of a muscle flex system going on also that makes the arms look realistic no matter the position.

The animated normal maps seem a little easier to achieve but I'd love to know how either method is pulled off.

4. Tinus

Tinus

Could you elaborate at bit? :) It is my guess that the actual 3D mesh is not nearly detailed enough to generate such fine-grained shadows, which lead me to believe the normal maps must be animated. Am I missing something?

@Ender13: Ooh, let me see if I can find some videos..

5. showoff

showoff

The first game I have ever seen something similar to what you’re talking about was uncharted drake the first one and it was out before any of the games you guys are talking about.

6. Ender13

Ender13

Yeah that's the first game I noticed it in too. It was really apparent on the lower part of his shirt when he ran.

7. Taigo

Taigo

To me it just seems to be some really decent occlusion maps + normal maps.

8. hasullivan

hasullivan

9. Tinus

Tinus

Wrinkle maps! I should have guessed. :wink:

Thanks for that link, huge help.