Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Falling

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Apprenticeneauxs, May 16, 2010.

1. Apprenticeneauxs

Apprenticeneauxs

I want to have my character base jump from a building that is extremely tall. It would be a ridiculous height so I was wondering how can I make it seem like hes falling without having to build a skyscraper that thousands of polygons? I was thinking of using physics to control gravity. I need him to fall for at least 2 minutes. Any thoughts?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Build a skyscraper that has 10 polygons (2 tris on each face, no need for a bottom face) and tile the texture appropriately.

--Eric

3. Apprenticeneauxs

Apprenticeneauxs

I am a professional artist and do not need to know how to model something, I was asking how to make it seem like hes falling down for like 2 minutes... It needs to be super high or is there a way to fake it?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure why you mentioned "thousands of polygons" then. Why wouldn't you just make the building really high?

--Eric

5. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

adjusting the gravity might do the trick...... slow down the gravity and he'll fall slow. but.... if you can see anything besides your player, it'll give away the fact he's moving slow. Especially when it comes time to crash down to the ground.

You might be able to get away with keeping the gravity from accelerating the characters fall to increase the time the character would be falling. Maybe set a constant downward speed instead of -9.8m squared.

But more info on your project would help... like is the player going to hit the ground at all?