Search Unity

Volo Airsport - Wingsuit Skydiving Simulator

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Tinus, May 14, 2010.

1. Tinus

Tinus

Volo Airsport - Alpha Release

On the development blog you will find download links and instructions. You’ll recognize the build from last year’s videos. This version is the old prototype I’ve had lying around since that time.

Please let me know what you think! There's a lot of work to do, and I can use all the feedback I can get.

Happy flying!

2. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Liked your project since the beginning, however I don't currently have a controller to test it with :(

3. Tinus

Tinus

Keyboard and Mouse controls are on their way shortly, sir. :)

4. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

Very nice :D I want to have your programming skills :D

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

Will definately have a go at this!
    I'm still keen to one day work on a canopy opening/flight prefab for Unity :)

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi tinus,

nice –*but have you already checked out the ats color map terrain shader and multi uv mixing? both cound help you to increase the visual quality of your terrain as the ats color map terrain shader supports lively colored detail textures, multi uv mixing for high frequency textures and one overall normal map for the terrain (reducing the poping between the different lods at least a little bit).
    there is even y version supporting multiple terrains.

lars

7. Tinus

Tinus

@BusterBlader: Keep on keeping on! I'm no John Carmack, only a couple of years into this myself. :)

@Meltdown: Now that I'm working on this again I'll figure out how I want to model the canopy, physically. At that point your help will come in handy, perhaps!

@larsbertram1: I came across the ats Color Map shader, which I'm seriously considering to use. The one worry I would have is that the provided demo did not show very juicy detail up-close, but I might be wrong, and it could just be how you set it up. For distant landscape it absolutely wins over splatmaps.

I've not seen all the multi-uv solutions yet, I'll be sure to google for them. Thanks so much for the tips!

Edit: I see you're the creator of quite a bunch of these solutions? Excellent. :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi tinus,

maybe you have just seen the first demo which did not work 100% on windows – whereas the latest version does and gives you all the details of the detailmaps like the first version already did on mac. just have a look here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/146808-ats-Colormap-terrain-shader-RELEASED/page3 or watch the latest demo: http://bit.ly/P8lib6.

p.s.: the shader already uses multi uv mixing for the rock texture.

lars

9. Tinus

Tinus

Nice! Also like the look of your decal shaders.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for me to just try it. I'm right in the middle of generation some new terrains in World Machine anyway. :)

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks.
    and in fact the decal shaders uses an even more advanced multi uv mixing technique.

lars

11. Tinus

Tinus

Any chance of the color map and multi-uv shaders working well together? Or can they not be used together?

12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

sorry if i did not say it clear enough: the color map shader ALREADY uses multi-uv mixing.

lars

13. Tinus

Tinus

Whoops, nevermind. I've been starting at code for too long. :)

14. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Can't wait for an awesome Windows version with keyboard controls!

15. Meltdown

Meltdown

Any updates on this Tinus? :D

16. Tinus

Tinus

The 0.03 version turned out to take more work than I thought, as it always is with everything. But I've mostly been caught up in finishing a freelance project. This week I launch the final beta for that game though, so I'm pretty much ready to start crunching on Volo full time for a while. :)

17. Meltdown

Meltdown

Here's a clip of me doing some close proximity flying :)

18. dINGLE

dINGLE

Hi Tinus

Great physics!
    I really enjoyed playing the alpha.

Are you going to release aerodynamics scripts to the asset store at some point?

19. Tinus

Tinus

@Meltdown: Thanks for playing!

@dINGLE: Thanks! I'm working on an aerodynamics toolkit for the Unity Asset Store, yeah. :)

New stuff: Split Screen Audio Plugin for Unity

As you might know split screen audio in Unity is not possible by default. I really want split screen support in Volo, so I figured I should create a plugin that does it. I have the basics up and running now, and will be releasing this on the Asset Store soon.

See the forum thread for details!

20. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

21. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

22. Tinus

Tinus

Thanks guys! If you want to help test the plugin give me a shout.

23. RuggeriExtreme

RuggeriExtreme

One question :) u have maked one "ragdoll" system with character joint?

24. Tinus

Tinus

All the joints used in the ragdoll are customizable joints, since the character joints didn't give enough control. A custom script adds additional properties to each joint to simulate some muscle-like properties. :)

25. gl33mer

gl33mer

Tinus,

I know you've been asked before but some time has passed.

Would you shed some more light on how you go from the formula to script?

Possibly share the aerodynamics module?

Thanks in advance.

26. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I just went to download the 2.0 alpha, but the link is dead!

Is there anyway we can get that back up?

Thanks!

27. blueangelslug

blueangelslug

Is there anyway you could explain to me how you made the IK for this?

28. Thegodfather

Thegodfather

Hey. I have been searching on how to create my own winged suit. Or at least find a package so I can add it to my character as an obtainable item. Which is what I will do. But I cannot find anywhere. Not even on unity. On how to build a wing suit. Even if I have to use blender. Whatever. Idc. I just want to be able to add one into my own game. But I can't find anything threw google or youtube on how to do this. It's frustrating. Please help me and respond to my email. Idk if I will get a notification you have responded or not on my email account. Anything you can do to help me find the info I need would be appreciated. Keep up your good work.

29. Tinus

Tinus

Heya, are you referring to just a visual model, or the actual flight mechanics? If the latter, it's not that simple. Volo's simulation is quite deep, and doesn't lend it self well as an add-on to another game's design.

A simple implementation of a wingsuit/glider mechanics would require the following: A rigidbody (thing with gravity applied, that you can rotate based on player input), and a simple script that applied lift and drag forces based on the rigidbody's velocity and heading. You can find out the basics of how lift & drag work from websites like howstuffworks.com. You don't need super-realistic physics to make it fly, but it really helps if you at least relate the size of the generated forces to the square of the speed, like:

Code (csharp):
    1. float liftForce = Mathf.Pow(rigidbody.velocity.magnitude, 2f) * m_liftMultiplier;
    Beyond that I can't help you right now. I don't have anything on the Asset Store to help. Wel,, not yet. :)

30. Tinus

Tinus

Volo Airsport v3 is Out Now!

Hey Folks! It's been ages, but we've release a major new version of the game yesterday, and we're very excited about it.

Get Volo Airsport v3 directly from us at our new website.
    Support us on Steam Greenlight.

New in v3 are:
    • Larger terrain inspired by the Swiss Alps, with lots of lines to find
    • Improved lighting and shading
    • Flight model redesigned from scratch
    • Highly configurable input and graphics settings
    • Oculus Rift DK2 Support (experimental)
    Let me know what you fellow developers think about it! I'd be happy to talk about how the game works under the hood.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  31. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Looks amazing, keep up the great work!

32. WonkyWooGames

WonkyWooGames

Looks very promising, you should contact Red Bull.

How large is your terrain ?

33. Tinus

Tinus

The playable area is 8x8km, with an additional low resolution skirt of 8km thickness. The tiles in the playable area have an 0.5 pixel per meter resolution, so 512 pixels per kilometer.

This is about the maximum amount of static terrain content we could load in without streaming, which we'll be experimenting with next.

34. Autonoma

Autonoma

Would you be interested in selling the camera tracking code?

35. realghetto

realghetto

Bringing what 99.9999% of the population will never do in their life, to reality!!!! great vids, great concept, great fun, can't wait to buy this.

36. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    i have just had a look at your latest video: very nice!
    but the (more or less non existing) transition between billboards and mesh trees really corrupt the visual impact.
    have you ever given the advanced foliage shader package a try?
    next to many other features it offers perspectively aligned billboards (which could even cast real time shadows) and pretty smooth transitions between billboards and mesh trees.

test the old fly demo!
    and check the package.

lars ;-)

37. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Looking cool! Did you use unity's terrain tool to model the mountain or did you use an external software?

38. Tinus

Tinus

@larsbertram1 I actually bought your shader pack while ago, but have yet to set them up. I actually didn't bother with the trees much yet because there was a Unity bug with tree culling performance that meant a lot of people had to turn them off completely. Now that this has been fixed with a patch release, let's make the trees look good. :)

@joni.giuro I made a complex World Machine project to spit out this particular terrain, although after importing it into Unity I've been adding small features using Unity's regular terrain sculpting tools. For future terrain work I want to try using a tool like Mudbox for more manual painting, or make a custom set of terrain tools for Unity that support painting across tiles.

39. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Wow... dude! So amazing!!

So glad you can play this with oculus!

40. Autonoma

Autonoma

Interested in selling the camera tracking code?