Search Unity

Cool images for the Unity3d.com gallery

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by David-Helgason, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Maybe "generator" isn't the right word; you still have to model and texture the objects manually. Rocks are no different from plants; I just haven't made any rocks yet. :) It's just a way to put lots and lots of objects on the terrain in a persistent manner (location, rotation, scale, and object type are all controlled), while taking a relatively small amount of time. That said, it would still take a while to populate entire square kilometers, unless you copy pasted over and over. So the next step is some sort of fractal generator that takes certain parameters and generates appropriate vegetation patterns...don't know if I have the ability to do that, though, and anyway I have to stop fiddling with it or I'll never get my games done. ;)

(The bark is from a tree in my back yard, which is where the branch is from too. In fact, all the textures are from my yard, except the grass, which is from across the road, and the clouds, which were generated with POV-Ray using a cloud script that I modified somewhat.)

--Eric

2. AaronC

AaronC

Hey Eric-I like it a lot! Any chance of a fps walkround?
    AC

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Only if someone has about 9MB of web space to donate (someday I'll have a decent amount of my own...). Also, I'd prefer to wait for the mesh joiner script so performance would be better. (I have a pretty good idea how to make one, but why bother when OTEE's already done it, and much better no doubt? ;) ) Thanks though!

--Eric

4. freyr

freyr

I thought the mesh joiner script was in 1.5. Why wait when it's already there?

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think the mesh joiner is part of 1.5.1 freyr. Eric (or anyone else), if you need a spot to host something just PM me and I'll gladly host a link for an indefinite period. I'm allowed plenty of Gigs of bandwidth a month and there's no reason not to share them with people that need it at the moment. Just let me know.

6. pete

pete

nice eric! good looking stuff.

the capability to write a mesh joiner script is in 1.5. doing so is another story. joe said he hoped to get his grass script in 1.5.1. here's to hoping yog shares too ;)

7. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Some neat images from my space game.

Attached Files:

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yep, they're neat, though the nitpicker in me feels compelled to point out that spot light-type effects are the result of light bouncing off particles in the atmosphere, something which is notoriously lacking in space. But sometimes artistic license trumps realism I suppose.... :)

--Eric

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yeah I though about that, but it just too cool to not put in. :)

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

OK, so I've spent the last couple of weeks learning how to do mesh stuff from scripting and generally upgrading my (increasingly mis-named) Veg-O-Tron 3000 to the point where it's somewhat usable in a real project, though it's still missing a few features I want.

Right now it makes combined meshes on the fly and has two levels of detail, and to some extent avoids the annoying "pop!" effect you sometimes get with LOD stuff. But it really needs a third one built on top of that. Currently the main difference between high and low LOD is the number of polygons...well, duh, and granted it's a big difference, but the combined meshes for the low detail object groups should be further combined (as they typically have 50-250 polygons). This should improve speed a fair bit as there are still quite a lot of objects on-screen, depending on how far the view distance is set.

I also need to add in Joachim's cool grass script, though I'd be a bit concerned about frame rate issues until I get that third LOD in there. (It can sometimes get down to 50fps at the moment, which sounds OK except I'd like slower machines to have a chance of getting decent framerates without having to lower the resolution/quality settings by too much.)

I'll probably release a web player or stand-alone in a couple of days, or whenever I get tired of tweaking it.

Pic 1: At the edge of a forest.
    Pic 2: Hmm, wonder what's over that wall....
    Pic 3: Does that path go anywhere interesting or not?

--Eric

Attached Files:

11. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Looks cool eric. Keep up the neet work guys. Jeff

12. pete

pete

cool stuff eric!

13. Samantha

Samantha

Jeez, those shots look really good!

14. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

A screenshot from blender, of a Track, from my racing game...

Attached Files:

15. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

eh.. thats called text.. not a screenshot :roll:

16. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Somehow I guess the attachment failed. Please try again.

17. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

That's kinda odd... It shows up on my computer...

I'll edit it now...

18. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I still don't see it.

19. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

It's a TIFF file... could that be part of the problem? Might want to try jpg instead.

-Jon

20. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Only safari can display inline tiff images. Yoggy, which browser are you using?

21. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Camino. I tried safari and it worked.

22. stuthemoo

stuthemoo

A more up to date picture... (it's JPG this time)

Attached Files:

23. Reznic

Reznic

Okay, no one is posting anything here, so I figured I'd post my latest and greatest. I posted these a minute ago in this thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=4124

These are really just to test non-RTT reflections. They're pretty subtle but you can see stuff reflected on the metal platform and the distant water. It took some doing, but it works :D.

Note: I used some UniTree assets, so, much thanks to boxy.

24. Bjerre

Bjerre

some screenshots from our first meeting with unity. the game is in an early alpha stage.

Attached Files:

25. nickavv

nickavv

Woah! Psycho-dellic! Very cool looking

26. jamie

jamie

reminds me of when my son was little and he used to watch 'teletubbies', add a couple rabbits to the field of flowers and that would really do it! :)

27. Marble

Marble

Then you could add a tank.

28. davidpolcino

davidpolcino

And a zombie.

29. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

and a chinook.. and barney the bear... and teletubbies.. and miniguns... and an apache attack chopper =P and you would have BF3 Attack of the Cuties ;)

30. podperson

podperson

Thought you might like this screenshot (from Project Weasel),

Attached Files:

31. Vector

Vector

Hello, I recently started working in Unity and am pleased with it so far, and wanted to post my first attempts at writing dynamically created meshes.

The webplayer demos are available at http://www.briancowan.net/unity/fx

I'm happy that the Metaballs seemed to work well, although assigning a new mesh every frame began to consume memory at a quick pace and stopped doing so after about 500MB (noticeable in the first demos, I will post updated versions later). The current implementation reuses the mesh, but suffers from having a lot of empty triangles that (I think) are rotated and processed anyways when they aren't used by the marching cubes implementation. Is there any way to limit the amount of triangles that are processed in the triangle list, or to manually free the memory used by a previous mesh?

The code and explanation is available on the unify wiki at http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=MetaBalls
    it uses a Marching Cubes algorithm, and does a few things, such as trying to process only the cubes around the mesh surface, and processing the normals from the average or unitization of all the power derivatives of the blob. One way it could still be updated is trying to only process cubes where the mesh faces the viewer for opaque surfaces. If you just want to use the code in your projects It should be pretty easy, just modify Start() Update() to place the any amount of blobs within a -.5 to .5 cube. Feel free to try and implement it in JS.

Here's a picture

32. noradninja

noradninja

Thank you, I have been saying this for years, I am glad I am not the only one.

When I went to Uni at Fullsail Real World Education, my Shading and Lighting instructor, Sgt. Santaw (guy really was a Sgt!), actually forbid the use of lens flares and would actually just fail you for the course if you used one! Most overused CG effect, ever. See http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/08/22

33. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Here's a little screenshot from my multiplayer game: (without lens flare :D )
    /Users/roby/Desktop/Oasis1.png

34. noradninja

noradninja

Image didn't upload.

35. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Here are my images...finaly

36. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

here's the same image in jpg...

Attached Files:

37. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

And the second...

Attached Files:

38. Alec

Alec

wow you guys are all so good! I especialy liked eric's landscapes...

took me back to my oblivion days..........

I wonder if any1 is making an rpg with unity????

39. Alec

Alec

Heres some stuff i've worked on with a friend for a little project

40. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Cool, but why are some palms under the water?

41. Alec

Alec

tree brush was to big :p

42. Alec

Alec

god got pissed at the monkeys stealing his coconuts...

43. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Here's a screenshot of the game I'm working on inside FPS mode. The RTS mode doesn't have any GUI yet, so I'll wait to post that.

44. Alec

Alec

interesting...

45. VegasDev

VegasDev

Hydroponics?

46. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

47. noradninja

noradninja

HAHA oh wow....

48. reveriejake

reveriejake

Here you can post these images on the gallery.. Ive got a Web player too if you would like it?

Attached Files:

49. noradninja

noradninja

I certainly would.

50. maulongoni

maulongoni

Here go some images that i like too much, the firsts is from conspiracaopequim.com.br/game and the others from supervoleibrasil.com.br

I will enjoy a lot if they van be used on unity gallery =]

Attached Files: