Search Unity

Constant Reimporting of Assets?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ony, May 9, 2010.

1. Ony

Ony

For some reason Unity has started reimporting the entire hierarchy of assets on a seemingly random basis every time I open or edit one of my (js) scripts.

It isn't doing it every time but every 5 minutes or so. I can't quite nail down a reason why.

Any suggestions on what to look for that could be causing this? I don't have any scripts in my Editor folder that would be doing it and I haven't touched those in weeks anyway.

This just started yesterday out of the blue when I opened a script in my editor. I've been working for months on this project and haven't had this problem at all up until now. As you can imagine, it's getting very difficult to work like this.

I asked this question at Unity Answers too if someone would rather answer it there.

2. Ony

Ony

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? It's REALLY getting frustrating.

3. BearishSun

BearishSun

Happens to me too sometimes. Although it didn't happen for few days now. Not sure why it happens.

It just decides to reimport all the assets after alt+tabbing from some other app to Unity. It doesn't do an actual reimport(I know because textures are processed quickly), but more like just meta-data reimport, or it checks for changes. But it can still take a while with large projects.

4. Ony

Ony

Exactly. It hasn't happened now for two days and I thought maybe I'd solved it somehow, but BAM, today it starts right back up again.

It's getting INCREDIBLY frustrating as I am editing scripts and almost every time I switch between the editor and anything else I have to sit and wait the minute or so it takes to reimport everything again.

Today I found myself beating angrily on my desk as it just keeps happening. It's been a while since I've resorted to that, haha.

At any rate, I'm sick of it and there appears to be no reason for it to happen as it seems totally random. I've tried about everything I can think of. I also submitted a bug report but no answer has been forthcoming.

Are you by any chance using Windows and BitDefender as a virus checker? I'm trying to narrow in on a common element between the people this is happening to.

5. junglemason

junglemason

This happens to me every time I save a scene or the project. It reimports all images, resetting any changes I had made - it changes everything back to bilinear/repeat - I have to go back and change everything to point/clamp every time. Extremely frustrating. I am using the latest version of Unity Pro+iOS Basic (Unity 3.4.2f2). I'm on a Mac (OS X Snow Leopard) and I have no antivirus software or anything like that. Seems like this has been an issue for a long time now.

6. pahe

pahe

Ony you found a solution to this problem? Our artist got the same issue today and it's very annoying.

7. Ony

Ony

I haven't had the issue in a long time. After one of the Unity updates it just went away, but I won't be surprised it if pops up again some time because I haven't done as much Unity work as I used to so it could be that it just hasn't happened again yet. Wish I could offer more help than that, because if your artist has already updated to the latest version and it's still happening then that's not good.