Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook card game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by duhprey, May 8, 2010.

1. duhprey

duhprey

Hello,

I have been working for a while on a card game to post to Facebook because it's slacking from other games I'd probably be working on :)

It's very alpha, but I'd appreciate some knowledgeable people hammering on it.

http://apps.facebook.com/WhoCutTheDeck

It is, in essence, a networked deck of cards. There are no rules, you just move cards around and play whatever games you would with a normal deck of cards. So there's no AI, you'll have to tell *some* other FB friends about it to play with them.

I also put up some code samples for the things I found difficult with interfacing facebook here:

http://www.tosos.com/?p=86

Thanks for taking a look,

2. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

Cool!

When over the deck of cards you make it send cards out on the table, when over the cards sent out, you make them appear up on the screen. It knows which one you are pointing at when you place one of those down again.

Very nicely done.

3. duhprey

duhprey

Thanks very much!

Were you able to link up multiplayer at all? I've been having some difficulty getting the code to talk to the MasterServer properly and was wondering if anyone else saw those issues.

Either way, thanks for trying it out!

4. duhprey

duhprey

Just thought I'd send a quick note, if you're looking for textures this site http://www.cgtextures.com/ has some slick free and royalty free.

Here's the difference for my game (compare to the first image in this topic):

It is worth the price, I think :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

I just noticed this topic had responses after I posted.

I host my own game, that working fine. Don't see anyone on at the time to join.

There is probably an open source Poker game project somewhere you could implement into Unity, as well as other card games, and then have an actual game people could, and most certainly would play. You could even sell tokens for them to gamble with against AIs and each other. As long as they can't sell the tokens for real life money, I think it won't violated any gambling laws.

----
    The other games you have listed on your site show potential.

For the asteroid game, just make it so there is collision, and the asteroids are moving around.

The Pinball game requires the right mouse button to use, but that always makes a window appear for me, so I can't use it for games played through the browser.

I've seen other games where you are a ball rolling around. Everything from Marble Madness in the 1980's, to Garage Game's version they claim is original despite coming out 20 years later and being basically the same thing. It became popular on Xbox, Bill Gate's son playing it. You can certainly make a game with this that some people will play.

6. mstram

mstram

Hi,

I just tried the app.

I launched it from my Facebook account, the main screen loads, I press the "Start a New Game" button, but nothing happens.

My unity web player is whatever version was installed with Unity 3.1.0f4

Mike

7. duhprey

duhprey

Did you try clicking a couple times? I've noticed sometimes the focus is weird so that the mouse click doesn't register. What should happen right away is the windows disappear and it just shows the backdrop. Then after a little while the game itself will show up.

8. mstram

mstram

How big is the "diata" for the game? .. I assume ?? that has to be downloaded by the player ? (I'm new to Unity web development / Unity in general

I'm temporarily on dial-up, might have just been a loading issue, you might also implement a progress-bar.

How long does it take to load for you? (I assume you have high speed)

Can you share the source ?

9. duhprey

duhprey

The file is about 1.5 megs, so on dialup that could take a while. It takes about 30 seconds for me. I've shared some of the source related to initializing the networking via Google App Engine or PHP and connecting to Facebook (check out various topics I've started). I don't plan to release the rest. I might actually put it up on the asset store, since it's really easy to replace the card images and do any sort of card game...

10. Hout Ka-Ptah

Hout Ka-Ptah

please, can you tell me, How you embed the unity scene in facebook page ..?