Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unity Tokens Micro-Transaction API !!!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by huxley, May 8, 2010.

1. huxley

huxley

We are very happy to announce the public release of the Unity Tokens Micro-Transaction API. Now developers have a immediate solution to monetize and distribute their online web game.

Get version 1.0.7 of the API Here:
    http://www.unitytokens.com/index.php/documentation/getting-started-menu

TheUnity Tokens Micro-Transaction API provides the following:

The Ability to Perform in Game Transactions
    No need for the player to leave your game to make purchases. Everything happens in-game within our secure API.

Store Game Data Using Cloud Networking
    Any player can continue their game on any system (iphone excluded) and their account will maintain a real time database on their actions. Any purchase they make in your game will remain valid until you update your game or they close their user account.

Deploy to Facebook (coming soon)
    Using our Tiny Utopia Unity Arcade wrapper for Facebook, your game will appear on the most popular social network with all the hooks needed to invite more players to add your application.

Easy Installation
    We have several Step-by-Step tutorials to get you started immediately.

Getting Started
    http://www.unitytokens.com/index.php/documentation/getting-started-menu

Advanced Tutorials
    http://www.unitytokens.com/index.php/documentation/advanced-tutorials

Micro-transaction Design Theory
    http://www.unitytokens.com/index.php/documentation/microtransaction-design

With the release of this Unity Tokens Micro-transaction API, We’re also announcing a contest with a cash award of $150.00 USD. We would like someone to produce a easy to follow video tutorial which shows developers how easy it is to install the Unity Tokens Micro-transaction API in your game.

We will choose the winner based on the videos’ originality, creativity, interest, and quality of information.

Contest entries will be accepted until 12pm EST on May 25, 2010. Due to the limitation of private uploads on the Unity Forums, we suggest you provide a URL link to your video via our Unity Forums account: tinyutopia.

Tiny Utopia CEO
    Neal Nellans

2. seon

seon

This sounds interesting.... I have some questions.

1. You mention Facebook and your Acrade and that games can be used with your Unity Tokens system from web based games, but what about stand alone games? Is there any reason why your system wouldn't work with a desktop game?

2. So, how does the user pay for tokens? When a user wants to buy something in game, they will obviously need an account with you guys... can they do this in game? What do they need (security wise) to be able to create an account? What due diligence do you guys do?

3. huxley

huxley

>> 1. what about stand alone games? Is there any reason why your system wouldn't work with a desktop game?

No reason at all. The API only requires an internet connection to process the player login and subsequent network calls. As long as your stand-alone game can access the internet, it can use Unity Tokens.

>>2. So, how does the user pay for tokens?

We have several 'Buy Token' options on our Tiny Utopia Arcade. We have partnered with CCBill, a industry leader in online transactions for over 10 years. With CCBill we offer several payment options for customers including Credit Card, Telephone, Bank Check, Euro Debit, and Paypal.

We also feature a unique token award system on TinyUtopia.com that encourages players to come back every day, comment and review games. Currently, you can offer token rewards for high score and achivements in game, but the website module which will display those high score and achivement tables with user avatars is coming soon.

>> they will obviously need an account with you guys... can they do this in game?

Yes, there is a full demo of this in our API. Users require a valid email address to register an new account. When the user registers via the Tiny Utopia Arcade they revieve a validation email and then receive the signup bonus of 250 tokens.

Players who signup via the Unity in-game registration do not require a validation email to begin playing your game. Once they enter their credentials you can being offering token transactions.

Also, you do not need to put the Unity Tokens login at the start of your game. The login script and API must be placed in any scene that you want to offer micro-transactions, so you could make several scenes free to play, and then load the Unity Tokens API when you wanted to offer the player a option to purchase a upgrade, new level, etc.

4. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Sweetness. Good job.

5. seon

seon

@tinyutopia : Thanks for the reply and answers to my questions. I will discuss your token system with the team this week and see how it fits in with our plans.

6. SONB

SONB

Amazing!

I'm thinking about developing a game for facebook and I'd love to use your API for in-game microtransactions. I have one question though: Today I read that facebook is going to charge 30% every time a transaction is used. That's actually the reason Zynga's FarmVille is threatening to leave facebook. How are you going to deal with this 'issue'? If I understand it right, Unity Tokens charges 30% as well. So, are we (developers) going to lose 60% total of revenues generated by a facebook game?

7. Disati

Disati

Hope this will turn up into something big.

8. huxley

huxley

@ SONB

The Facebook Credits system is currently is beta. As it stands their current test system deducts 30% of the transaction which takes place using Facebook credits.

If this were to be the final fee rate that Facebook would require for credit microtransactions (their TOS states they could change their rate at any time), then Unity Tokens would spit the Facebook fees equally with the developer.

In other words, if the Facebook credit transaction fee is 30%; We would cover 15% of the Facebook fee, leaving our fee at %15. The developer would cover the additional 15%, leaving the developer with %55 of the gross profit from tokens used in/on Facebook with their game.

Keep in mind that this is all largely theoretical until Facebook finalizes the credit contract that would even allow 3rd party credit systems to be used on their system.

Regardless of what Facebook will or will not allow on their network, we still encourage all developers to utilize Facebook as a promotional tool with their demos and betas. Our research has concluded that having a unity embedded Facebook application is one of the most important drivers of traffic to your Unity application.

We will have a Facebook template setup within the next two weeks that will allow developers to easily display their unity3d files in Facebook and allow Facebook friends to bookmark, share, and become fans of their application.

Like the Dimerocker service, we will support serving the Facebook iframe of the developers game. If the developer prefers to add the Facebook API within their game, it's more likely that they would be a large enough organization to host it themselves.

Our service is designed to support grass roots developers with no current cash flow. We offer the simplest, no-cost solution for developers to integrate online microtrasactions, host, and publicize their game within an exclusively Unity-centric network. We are as much invested in our belief that the Unity platform will only grow as the #1 3D web platform.

9. dock

dock

Why is TinyUtopia passing off Unity's car demo as it's own work? It seems very shady.

http://www.tinyutopia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=184

"This is the first working demo of our new racing game. You can receive 200 free coins when you sign up for a free account with Tiny Utopia."

Also, why isn't there any link or mention of the author of each game, as you would have on kongregate or any other site like this?

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

TinyUtopia looks a lot like another of these illegal and highly inacceptable goes of those illegal redirectors.

As you can see in big red racing from martin schultz, they just reframe wooglie and stuff like that.

Given this is the truth I would recommend you that you either get the real games and get in contact with the authors, giving proper credit etc or stop it immediately cause you just guarantee that NOBODY will even consider to use your micro transaction system as nobody wants to work with devs that would obviously have no dev nor business ethics and thus can not be trusted any further than you can throw your stone to bang their heads

11. huxley

huxley

Direct from Wooglie.com Embed page

Needless to say, none of the games at tinyutopia.com use tokens at this time. Once a game demo which uses them is completed, all free content will be removed from our site to avoid this type of confusion.

12. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

I would be interested in using your service, however I noticed after registering on both sites (tinyutopia to try it out and unitycoins) that I was supposed to get a confirmation e-mail before i could access them, however this never happend for either. Is the system not automatic? or not functioning right now?

Also your info put the exchange rate for the coins at about 800c:$1 is that likely to change? or is there some system keeping it at about that rate?

Thanks
    Luke

13. huxley

huxley

Hi Luke. We have verified your account and sent you a PM with login details.

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

@tinyutopia: I'm sorry for jumping the gun there.
    I partially did likely because due to "game pages" in the past that used players from other devs and promoted them as theirs and part because it would have been a shame if an interesting platform like this would potentially have had a bad start due to a reputation hit before even starting basically.

I'm sure that the platform will attract various of the devs that created those wooglie games once its up and running fine as it is an interesting concept.

15. sciguy77

sciguy77

Certainly looks cool, I'll take a look if I move to micro transactions.

Regarding the Unity car game, it may be legal to simply paste it to your site, but giving credit and a link to the author just seems like the right thing to do.

16. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

I have a few detailed questions, and some bug reports. Where should I direct these? Here? Or should I e-mail them? To whom?
    Thanks

17. huxley

huxley

Hi Luke,
    You can PM me your list of issues and I will forward them to the development team.
    Thanks,
    Neal

18. Roidz

Roidz

Hey, this sounds very good to me but i have a question for you tinyutopia...

How do you use the score api in a standalone unity game ? i could not find any usefull information about this...

Holy XXX - i just realise when these posts were made :D prolly wont get a reply on this - sorry for the bump

19. ersaurabh101

ersaurabh101

2 questions

1. how much is it for ?
    2. i can use any payment gateway to make a purchase from inside ?? any example ?

20. huxley

huxley

Hi Everybody,

Because Google, Apple, Facebook and your grandmother now offers their own token system for their networks, there are not enough developers in a third party solution. All participating developers have received their final payments and we have discontinued our credit program.