Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by antenna-tree, Apr 24, 2010.

1. holmeren

holmeren

Try this:
    Turn of AA on all Quality levels
    or
    Be sure that you have the 2.61 Standard Pro Assets package (Image Based)

Im 99% sure its the image effects/AA doing the flip.
    While making the track I had that problem when upgrading to 2.61 and I solved it by either turn of one of the Image Effects and later on fixed it (real fix) by importing new fresh Pro Standard Assets.

;)

Hope it helps

2. Kondor0

Kondor0

Yeah, i got the same weird effect in the water.

Other problem that i have is that the skidmarks doesn't show in the test scene and i don't know what i'm missing because i've been comparing this scene with the completed one and they look the same.

Any idea?

Thanks and cool tutorial!

3. holmeren

holmeren

Ill ask in the office tomorrow ;)

4. holmeren

holmeren

Sry... no body recalls any problems with the skid marks.

5. Kondor0

Kondor0

Ok, i'll keep looking. Thanks.

6. JeffAU

JeffAU

Hi all,

I'm playing with the GMC contained in the tutorial and I'm really impressed.

However when I import the vehicle into my own project and go over a jump, often the wheels go through the terrain and get stuck under it leaving just the truck body sticking up above the terrain - the gmc is then undrivable requiring the scene to be reset.

Anyone know how I could fix this? I can't see any colliders on the wheels - what is stopping them simply going straight through the terrain even when the scene starts?

Thanks

Jeff

7. Neodrop

Neodrop

Yes, you right. If AA is off, all fine. But I have reloaded Pro Assets and have no changes. Strange effect.

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Neodrop, can you please submit a bug on this so we can get your hardware specs.

Thanks!

9. Neodrop

Neodrop

Done.
    Case number 355322

10. azeitler

azeitler

I am not your regular physics expert, but the "transmission" of the car in the tutorial seems quite messed up. Anybody else notice something strange?
    Look at the reverse driving behavior.

11. vegardw

vegardw

Any plans for Updating the tutorial for Unity 3.0? I just started using Unity a couple of days ago, found the tutorial and thought I'd take a look at it. But after opening it there are some script errors in Assets/Scripts/JavaScripts/SoundController.js, so the project won't run.

12. saymoo

saymoo

This and other tutorial project won't run, since it's made for 2.6 version, and UT3 isn't backwards compatible on lots of ground. (especially
    scripting)

I BLAME UT for releasing this 3.0.x release, when the docs, tutorials, resources etc, are NOT updated for it.
    This (if you take your work serious) must be in sync with eachother. Documentation should be inline with the actual version available, just as provided material (projects/tutorials/assets).
    (or at the very very very very very least, mention it clearly on the download pages.

13. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

95% of the example projects were updated for day 1 of Unity 3.0's release date. I let 2 slip, the Island Demo and the Car Tutorial, for various reasons, and will hopefully have them up by week's end. We take our work quite seriously but we're not perfect.

14. saymoo

saymoo

ok, then i state corrected. (i tried some available, and they did not work back then, few days ago)
    (also the documentation was not updated.)

15. galent

galent

From where I sit aNTeNNa, no worries. It's d*mned kind of you folks to build these excellent demos in the first place. I've been waiting to see that miserable 2D glass sharder working in V3 since the first beta copy I recieved, and it's good to hear it's in the works. (I'd hate to unleash my questionable shader "skills" onto the world and try to make it work myself :)

Cheers,

Galen

16. Pulov

Pulov

Just curious about the car tutorial; while surfing in the features of unity, in the main web, appears an screenshot of what looks an inproved car demo with other car in the scene plus DOF etc... the updated car tutorial will include other cars and other improvements or will be an purelly update of the existint tut?¿?

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Just an updated version of the existing tutorial.

18. C++Storm

C++Storm

good tutorial!! :D

19. Ayce

Ayce

I use that car to test my tracks for the game we are working on. The physics are different than what we are using, but I got close, just playing with the available settings. Saved it as a new package with headlights. Still would like to improve the camera so I can get "in car" but that's another problem. Haven't sorted out multiple cameras yet.

20. newlife

newlife

when this updated tutorial will be avalaible?

21. r2d2Proton

r2d2Proton

@aNTeNNa trEE - please know that your work is greatly appreciated. And that the level is professional grade.

Now, I don't know enough about Unity's Shader system yet but it does seem that you guys deviated between GLSL and HLSL. I take it you're trying to find a compromise.

Please petition to offer shaders for different environments: HLSL or GLSL And let the compliers do their work. Your own Shader system will only complicate things, and comeback to bite you.

With that said, how will we know that the Car Tutorial has been updated? Will you be posting here?

22. saymoo

saymoo

If the tutorial isn't ready for the current version, remove the link to it, from the main pages. It's very sloppy pointing people to a download, which doesn't work on the current version.

i'm talking about this page:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/engine/physics (it's about the 3.0 version features)

23. Alistair

Alistair

The main Resource page does get this right - http://unity3d.com/support/resources/ - the car tutorial only shows up under the v2 heading. I was actually quite impressed with that - I'm too used to my own company's standards :)

24. arbbot

arbbot

Any updates on the Car Tutorial Shaders for Unity3? I just started to try to fix it to work on U3. I just had to remove some references to deprecated AudioSource properties and everything, apart from the Custom Shaders is working pretty well. I don't have much experience with Shaders and although I tried to fix them by checking Unity 3 docs, I haven't been able to do so.

Any updates on the custom shaders? Maybe somebody got them working and can share some tips?

Thanks
    -arbbot

25. dragonstar

dragonstar

can you make a version of that game for the iphone

26. r2d2Proton

r2d2Proton

@arbbot -- I did the same. With the changes we made we were able to drive around the track but we did encounter some problems. I forget what they were. . most likely crashing though.

27. junkyardog

junkyardog

> most likely crashing though.

Take drivers ED.

OH: that kind of crashing.
    (just kidding)

Would be interesting to see it updated to run stable for 3.

28. r2d2Proton

r2d2Proton

I have to watch what I'm drinking while reading the forums. . .almost spilled my coffee all over me :D

Are you clairvoyant? How did you know I was doing both?

29. 2tim20

2tim20

I followed all the instructions from part 1, and I have an issue. When I click play, the exterior of the car "The red body with the flames" drops down through the ground. Is there any way to stop this. I can post a video if needed. Could someone please help me. :(

30. JayTheMan

JayTheMan

this is a very good tutorial

31. randomcomment

randomcomment

Has no-one noticed that the physics of the car are totally messed up, because when you steer it rotates your car around a fixed point. Try crashing into a barrier at about 5 degrees, and your car will - rather than scraping the barrier - do a 90 degree turn and drive head first into the barrier.

32. Quietus2

Quietus2

Try adding a low friction material to the colliders in question.

33. spinaljack

spinaljack

You're talking about the arcade physics model which is by definition not at all accurate. Try the alternate physics model in the project folder.

34. mstram

mstram

Greetings all,

I'm trying to add an 'in-cockpit' camera to the default car.

I added a camera object, and in the "interactive test mode" (play button) it works, but when I compile the project it reverts to the "chase" camera.

I don't see where that "chase" camera is defined either

thx

Mike

35. spinaljack

spinaljack

Delete the camera already in the scene

36. makan

makan

@aNTeNNa trEE I already finish it! thanks :D

37. andibeh

andibeh

Any news about the mentioned Unity 3 version of the car tutorial?

38. Ayce

Ayce

It's already there on the tutorial page. Nothing new, really, just looks better. :)
    Btw, has anyone else noticed the pink water in the alternate physics version?
    Yeah, I finally got U3.1 indie. :)) Bootcamp is incredible!

39. kweiko

kweiko

Helloo now it's my turn to try out the car tutorial, and from what I've seen, it's an awesome one!
    One thing though, maybe you could add a note on the resources link that the version out there is for U3 only - personally, I'm still not used to the fact that everything is upgraded, as I still use 2.6 x)

Anyway thanks for sharing!

40. Costy

Costy

A video tutorial on youtube would be of much greater help.

41. SticksStones

SticksStones

I've done the 1st part of this tutorial and everything works fine except...."Add the skidmarks prefab to the scene" - the skidmarks prefab is already in the scene (?!) and even then it doesn't work for me! Config options are talked about, but nothing needs changing......or did I miss something?! - The completed version has working skidmarks.
    Either this is confusing and/or something else is wrong.

42. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

@SticksStones

That's funny, I just signed up for this forum to investigate this very problem. I'm on my second pass through the car tutorial (using Unity version 3.4.2f3), having not got the skidmarks to work the first time around.

The first time I dragged the Skidmarks prefab into the scene, and only then noticed there was a version of the Skidmarks in there already. (I think there might be a reason for this: in the course of investigating the problem with the skids, I found another thread that said the Skidmarks have to be at 0,0,0. According to the other poster, this is because they are offset slightly up from their local position; whatever distance they are from 0,0,0 is the distance they'll be offset from their place under the car. The ones that are already in the scene are at 0,0,0, so I'm guessing they're the ones that should be used. Maybe they were added after people had problems with skid marks being offset?)

The other thing I'm noticing is that the wheels aren't turning in my version of the car; they're neither spinning nor steering.

The acceleration isn't quite right, not as quick.

And if I jack up the suspension, the wheels go up with the chassis of the car, so that the whole thing is hovering above ground. It drives like it should, but the wheels aren't touching the ground. But in the tutorial there is an image showing the jacked-up suspension, and it shows the tires on the ground.

As with SticksStones, my completed version works fine.

It upgraded the project when I loaded, saying it would no longer work with an older version of Unity. Maybe some connections didn't survive the upgrade?

Naturally I recognize that I could have missed all sorts of things; I missed a few steps in my first step of the tutorial.

But here on the second time around, those skidmarks have me stumped.

43. derek_miller

derek_miller

WOW! I guess am gonna gift something like this to my nephew who likes to be a car designer someday. Am sure it will boost his spirits.

44. amhodge

amhodge

I've been working on the car tutorial. I've completed it twice now.

I follow everything to the letter.. when I play the view is stuck on the bonnet / windscreen of the car. Nothing moves and the game won't play.

There's a ton of javascript error messages about unassigned behaviours...

Any ideas? The demo plays perfectly...

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

@amhodge: maybe you should upload your project somewhere, it's difficult for people to help you, without knowing what's going on in your project

46. drift501

drift501

Everything is a hot pink colour! Everthing. I have unity indie

47. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

could you elaborate a bit.

48. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

Need to assign material with texture to assets, hot pink indicates there is nothing there.

49. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

No. The only thing that changed is posting a new topic in the collaborations section.

50. Wolfos

Wolfos

In case you guys haven't noticed yet. This tutorial has very, very bad physics. Try doing a jump, it will go nose first to the ground, might do a few frontflips even.