Unity Community

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Car Tutorial

1. Posts
    Any plans for Updating the tutorial for Unity 3.0? I just started using Unity a couple of days ago, found the tutorial and thought I'd take a look at it. But after opening it there are some script errors in Assets/Scripts/JavaScripts/SoundController.js, so the project won't run.

2. Location
    Western Europe
    This and other tutorial project won't run, since it's made for 2.6 version, and UT3 isn't backwards compatible on lots of ground. (especially
    scripting)

I BLAME UT for releasing this 3.0.x release, when the docs, tutorials, resources etc, are NOT updated for it.
    This (if you take your work serious) must be in sync with eachother. Documentation should be inline with the actual version available, just as provided material (projects/tutorials/assets).
    (or at the very very very very very least, mention it clearly on the download pages.

3. Volunteer Moderator

95% of the example projects were updated for day 1 of Unity 3.0's release date. I let 2 slip, the Island Demo and the Car Tutorial, for various reasons, and will hopefully have them up by week's end. We take our work quite seriously but we're not perfect.

4. Location
    Western Europe
    ok, then i state corrected. (i tried some available, and they did not work back then, few days ago)
    (also the documentation was not updated.)

5. Location
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by aNTeNNa trEE View Post
    95% of the example projects were updated for day 1 of Unity 3.0's release date. I let 2 slip, the Island Demo and the Car Tutorial, for various reasons, and will hopefully have them up by week's end. We take our work quite seriously but we're not perfect.
    From where I sit aNTeNNa, no worries. It's d*mned kind of you folks to build these excellent demos in the first place. I've been waiting to see that miserable 2D glass sharder working in V3 since the first beta copy I recieved, and it's good to hear it's in the works. (I'd hate to unleash my questionable shader "skills" onto the world and try to make it work myself

Cheers,

Galen
    Convolution

Game Business Toolbox now available!
    templates for GDD, TDD, Levels, Art, business plan and more...

6. Location
    Barcelona
    Just curious about the car tutorial; while surfing in the features of unity, in the main web, appears an screenshot of what looks an inproved car demo with other car in the scene plus DOF etc... the updated car tutorial will include other cars and other improvements or will be an purelly update of the existint tut??
    Android works>>>>>>>>

7. Volunteer Moderator

Just an updated version of the existing tutorial.

8. Location
    United States of America
    good tutorial!!
    Kindest ~ C++Storm

9. Location
    East Coast, Canada
    I use that car to test my tracks for the game we are working on. The physics are different than what we are using, but I got close, just playing with the available settings. Saved it as a new package with headlights. Still would like to improve the camera so I can get "in car" but that's another problem. Haven't sorted out multiple cameras yet.

10. Posts
    when this updated tutorial will be avalaible?

11. Location
    Los Angeles Area
    @aNTeNNa trEE - please know that your work is greatly appreciated. And that the level is professional grade.

Now, I don't know enough about Unity's Shader system yet but it does seem that you guys deviated between GLSL and HLSL. I take it you're trying to find a compromise.

Please petition to offer shaders for different environments: HLSL or GLSL And let the compliers do their work. Your own Shader system will only complicate things, and comeback to bite you.

With that said, how will we know that the Car Tutorial has been updated? Will you be posting here?

12. Location
    Western Europe
    If the tutorial isn't ready for the current version, remove the link to it, from the main pages. It's very sloppy pointing people to a download, which doesn't work on the current version.

i'm talking about this page:
    http://unity3d.com/unity/engine/physics (it's about the 3.0 version features)

13. Posts
    The main Resource page does get this right - http://unity3d.com/support/resources/ - the car tutorial only shows up under the v2 heading. I was actually quite impressed with that - I'm too used to my own company's standards

14. Location
    United Kingdom
    Any updates on the Car Tutorial Shaders for Unity3? I just started to try to fix it to work on U3. I just had to remove some references to deprecated AudioSource properties and everything, apart from the Custom Shaders is working pretty well. I don't have much experience with Shaders and although I tried to fix them by checking Unity 3 docs, I haven't been able to do so.

Any updates on the custom shaders? Maybe somebody got them working and can share some tips?

Thanks
    -arbbot
    Anthony Baker [arbbot]
    Solutions Architect / Game Director & Developer
    Blog | Profile

15. Location
    Boston,MA
    can you make a version of that game for the iphone

16. Location
    Los Angeles Area
    @arbbot -- I did the same. With the changes we made we were able to drive around the track but we did encounter some problems. I forget what they were. . most likely crashing though.

17. Location
    SIU (Southern Illinois University)
    > most likely crashing though.

Take drivers ED.

OH: that kind of crashing.
    (just kidding)

Would be interesting to see it updated to run stable for 3.
    Randy
    junkyardog

18. Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Take drivers ED.
    I have to watch what I'm drinking while reading the forums. . .almost spilled my coffee all over me

Are you clairvoyant? How did you know I was doing both?

19. Posts
    I followed all the instructions from part 1, and I have an issue. When I click play, the exterior of the car "The red body with the flames" drops down through the ground. Is there any way to stop this. I can post a video if needed. Could someone please help me.

20. Location
    Ohio
    this is a very good tutorial

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast