Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I need some comments on L3DT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rouhee, Apr 21, 2010.

1. rouhee

rouhee

I was thinking to purchase the Pro version of it. If someone has the Pro version and an opinion about it, please share some comments.

2. RoyS

RoyS

I love L3DT. It's easy to use and I was very happy with the look of my terrain in Unity 3D.

I use it with Tom's Terrain Tools scripts. http://lemuria.org/projects/wiki/TerrainTools

Here's the steps I use to get my terrain into Unity.

1 - Generate your L3DT map via the Wizard if you're unfamiliar with it. Then...
    File-->Export map-->(select) Heightfield
    File format - (pulldown) select "RAW"
    -type in a File Name
    -check "resize for export"
    -1025 size (default)
    Operations-->Alpha Map-->Alpha Express (png)

The raw is your heightmap and the png is your splatmap. Move those to your Assets folder.

2 - Make sure "Tom's Terrain Tools" is installed per his instructions.

3 - In Unity
    Terrain-->Create Terrain
    Add your 4 textures in Unity as normal (you can get some nice terrain textures from http://cgtextures.com )
    Terrain-->Import Heightmap RAW
    --Bit16
    --Windows

Now you should see your heightmap in your first colour chosen. If the mountains are too high, then go Terrain-->Set Resolution and change the 600 value. Just change those numbers until you get the desired height of your mountains and valleys.

Now for the rest of the colour of your terrain.

In Unity, select your png texture in the Project folder and in Inspector change it to ARGB 32 bit and hit the Apply button. Now you won't get an error message to change it to 32 bit RBGA as you've just done it. Now to add the splatmap...

Terrain-->Tom's Terrain Tools-->Splatmap

If you're sand is in your mountain area and your grass under the sea, then just change the order of your textures until it's right (ie, the terrain paintbrush textures as if you were painting one from scratch - the same ones you loaded above).

3. rouhee

rouhee

I have admit that this is absolutely great tool! I can recommend it to everybody. However I made my own tool for Unity Import.

Now I can make this kind of terrain tests about 5 minutes. :D

If someone is interested of my importer, let me know.

4. cosmodog

cosmodog

I use L3DT and would be interested in that importer.

Thanks,

5. RoyS

RoyS

Me also. Thanks. No complaints on Tom's Terrain Tools, btw. Try both methods.

6. zombee81

zombee81

I use L3DT a lot too and can't fault it, and it's well worth buying the pro version.

Rouhee: I would be interested in the importer too. :)