Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Out of Memory on Build

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by John Craig Freeman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. John Craig Freeman

John Craig Freeman

I have a project that requires many QuickTime movies playing as textures. The project plays fine in simulation, but when I execute a build command, Unity gives a Fatal Error 'Out of Memory!' and then crashes.

Here are the detail.
    The project directory is 4.03 GB on disk (4,029,056,903 bytes) for 1,683 items.
    It contains two scenes with a total of 81 QuickTime movies up to 50MB each.
    The movies do not load until they are called via a trigger script.
    I am attempting to build an OS X Intel Standalone application.

Fatal Error
    Out of memory!
    UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck(String[], String, BuildTarget, BuildOptions) UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck(String[], String, BuildTarget, BuildOptions) UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerWithDefaultSettings(Boolean, BuildOptions) UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

[/Users/build/builds/unity-26/unity-2.6.x/Projects/../Editor/Src/Application.cpp line 1868]

I am authoring the project on a MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.2, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 running Unity Pro 2.6.1f3.

Can anyone help.

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

Please can you file a bug report about this (menu: Help > Report A Problem). Even if Unity runs out of memory while processing, it should not crash as a result.

3. John Craig Freeman

John Craig Freeman

Hi andeeee, I filed a bug report. Do you think someone will respond? In the meantime, can you make any suggestions?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

are you trying to build standalone or webplayer? I ask cause the webplayer build requires an LZMA compression where the memory requirement during compression is significantly larger than the assets themself

5. John Craig Freeman

John Craig Freeman

I am attempting to build an OS X Intel Standalone application.

6. andeeeee

andeeeee

You should get a response fairly soon. Failing that, you can contact support@unity3d.com with the case number and ask for a progress update.

7. playemgames

playemgames

I am getting the same error, my project was working fine in the editor, and I have a lot of big textures in the Resources folder, and it won't build now. It has the same error as in the first post. It's strange because everything was fine up until I added just a few more textures, then it won't build now. Would like to hear what the solution might be if it's found. I am building a Windows Standalone.

8. zemtaq

zemtaq

We get the same error after adding some new textures and sound files. Hope to get a fix on that soon ...

9. calveit

calveit

I added some scenes and textures to my project (total 69 scenes now, 380 MB of textures), and it is now virtually impossible do build the game. Unity displays an error when building:

Code (csharp):
    2. Copying file failed
    3. Copying C:/Programi Files/Unity/Editor/Data/Frameworks/Mono.framework/System.dll to Temp/BuildingPlayer/ReferencedLibs/System.dll.
    Build log says:
    Code (csharp):
    2. d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=4294 w=1024 h=1024 mips=11 d3dfmt=894720068 [out of memory]
    It seems, Unity loads all the textures needed to render scene view, when opening scene (as it opens all the scenes added to the build), and does not release the memory before loading next scene.

Closing scene view tab, before starting the build, worked for me. It's not a solution though, just a workaround.

10. playemgames

playemgames

That workaround Calveit mentioned did not work for me, I still get the fatal error. It seems that as Calveit had mentioned, it is trying to cram everything into memory at once and compress to make the build, causing the memory errors. If the game can build and play in the editor, then it is the building process that is most likely at fault, and the common problem so far here seems to be the texture loading. For me it is not an option to reduce texture size as my characters are all textures, and I will need a quite bit more by the end of development. Maybe there can be a way to preprocess the textures according to memory restraints, then compile them into the final build?

11. John Craig Freeman

John Craig Freeman

It did not work for me either. Thanks though. I am wondering if there is a way to link the texture files in a contiguous directory on a players local hard drive rather than embedding them in the stand alone application? Streaming is out of the question due to load times.

12. playemgames

playemgames

I am wondering if this issue will get resolved or not, cause right now my current game is in limbo since I can only do it in the editor. I was thinking that asset bundles might be the solution that I will need, and that requires Pro but I want to ensure that I will have no problems before I drop the $1200 on a new license. Since the asset bundles have a LoadAsync() method I can problably load them dynamically in bundles once they are loaded rather than using Resources.Load and including them in the build, this would alleviate my hiccup problem when they are loading as well. Can anyone confirm that this works?

13. playemgames

playemgames

Does no one have an answer to this solution?

14. ricardo_arango

ricardo_arango

Unity Technologies

You can use AssetBundles to reduce the size of your application and work around this problem. AssetBundles are a Pro feature only. Including 4GB of assets in your app at the time has issues, but they are being worked on.

You can get a trial license of Unity Pro and verify that this solves your problem before buying it if you need.

15. John Craig Freeman

John Craig Freeman

Thank, I'll give it a try and report back.

16. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

I was getting this issue when building a web player and my project is very large (2gb+).

This was on a 32 bit OS with 4gb of ram ( so 3 could be used) - I have since upgraded to a 64bit OS with 8gb of ram and the issue disappeared.

Basically the error is what it is - your system is running out of memory. Add more ram if you can, reduce the size of your project and make sure you have nothing else running when doing a build.

17. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Only it seems to me that adding just a few hundred mb of assets in your app has issues too, and I have yet to find a way to work around them.

I've tried to read up on AssetBundles but the only information I've found on them uses them in ways which would eliminate most of the benefits of working in Unity in the first instance.

(EG: Loading just the textures dynamically, which means all the visual editing side of Unity has gone, or loading the entire level content dynamically, which means I'm losing all of Unity's project management benefits because I have to bundle, unbundle rebundle in order to make a few changes. )

18. JackRives

JackRives

Adding RAM beyond 4 Gb would be useless. Unity is a 32 bit application that only uses 3.5 gigs, no matter what amount of RAM is available (aka it would still crash even on machines with 32 Gb of RAM). Unless the dev team decides to spurt out the 64 bit version of Unity, we're all out on our own.

Our team faces the same challenge. Our project is quite large: 3-4 Gb, and building it results in utter failure. The Unity dev team should've thought this through.

Using asset bundles is pretty much useless and defeats the purpose of the ease of access.

19. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Rives - your right, I forgot it was a 32 bit app. However I wonder why then mine is now building on a new faster machine - I wonder if the faster cpu(s) churn through the process quicker, stopping it from growing too large.

20. Murcho

Murcho

We we're having a similar issue, and upgrading from Win XP 32bit to Vista 64bit (shudder) did the trick. An application can only address 2 gig of memory under a 32 bit OS, it's a limitation of the OS, but under a 64 bit OS, well I don't know the exact limit but I believe it to be much larger.

I think the reason people are actually getting access to more RAM in a Unity Build process under a 64 bit OS, even though it is a 32 bit process, is largely due to this : "Applications running in the WOW64 system on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition each have a full 4 GB of virtual memory space. Applications compiled to take advantage of the /3 GB switch will actually get 4 GB, without constraining the operating system at all, since it is running in the 8 terabytes of virtual address space that Windows XP Professional x64 Edition has for the system processes.", taken from here.

21. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Agreed. It beggars belief that a product should be marketed as Unity is yet be completely unable to deal with just a few hundred megabytes of assets in an entire project. ( I mean that literally. 300MB of textures equates to well over 2.5GB of memory use.)

This is precisely what I've found as I've tried moving over to both asset bundles and resource folders. Loading resources dynamically - except when you're actually streaming them into a huge world or streaming data online, obviously - completely eliminates most of the benefits of using Unity in the first place.

Essentially, I'm now wondering what I could use Unity for. Very small web games is about all I could possibly use it for, as anything substantial risks running through the entire 3.5GB of memory that Unity can address.

I really hope that the developers can get a handle on this, and soon, because it's a huge problem for a remotely serious developer, and it certainly means that I'll have to stop using Unity for contract work immediately.

22. JackRives

JackRives

I'm afraid that if the developers don't include a 64 bit version in Unity 3, they're going to lose a lot of clients. I'm sorry to say, but UDK's 25% royalty fee sounds better than not being able to build your game at all.

23. iphoneonly118

iphoneonly118

This is ugly, totally ugly.
    Honestly I can't believe one commercial SW will make such one big design mistake. Why you need put all stuff into memory then do work, totally don't understand.

24. JackRives

JackRives

It may be a shot in the dark here, but I guess it's because Unity is an all-in-one IDE. It doesn't have a separate compiler.

25. KarelVR

KarelVR

I'm very worried about this as well.
    Our game is slowly but surely increasing to a huge size, and we already passed the point that webplayers can't be built anymore (in our case no biggie).

Can anyone from UT please comment on this, or reassure us that they're working on a fix ?

Working on a game that in the end can't be turned into a build is quite distressing...

Thanks,

Karel

26. playemgames

playemgames

@ricardo_arango:

I am trying out the Pro trial to see if asset bundles alleviate me of this Out of Memory bug, but I am stuck on loading the actual asset bundles.

In my testing of the asset bundles I am getting this error:

The asset bundle can't be loaded because another asset bundle with the same files are already loaded
    UnityEngine.WWW:get_assetBundle()
    UnityEngine.WWW:get_assetBundle()

Is there a way to track what is loaded? In Resources.Load it seems to know what has already been loaded or not, is this not the case for Asset Bundles? If so how would I track what is loaded or not?

27. playemgames

playemgames

OK, I figured out assetbundles finally and there is no easy way around it really, I had to figure out a method for tracking the assetbundles that were loaded and it seems that managing them is a bit trickier than using the Resource folder.

But the good thing is I got my build to go without an Out of Memory error. It seems that asset bundles for my project are the only way to go now, so it looks like my money will be well spent on Pro. However, I have to figure out more on how to manage the memory of the loaded asset bundles, I wish there were and easier way to track what is in use and what is not. If someone has any scripts that are helpful in this regard it would be very helpful to see.

Also documentation is lacking at best for asset bundles, and for a feature of Pro I would figure there would be more examples and such but I really had to scour for proper use and it's caveats. Anyway, I hope Unity 3 solves some of these problems and that these features get documented better so it is easier to set up and code for, or better yet have them easy to use in the editor. I had to write my own editor scripts to batch the textures into asset bundles. And if you put too many into one bundle you will get Out of Memory errors, I had to do them all separate, it was the only option for me.

28. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hmmm, haven't tried to build my game in months but the project is now over 16 GB, guess that's going to be a problem... :)

I send every out of memory crash in with my request for a 64 bit build.
    It'd be nice to see it in version 3, but haven't heard anything on the matter so...
    Glad I'm not alone on this.

29. iphoneonly118

iphoneonly118

Use assetbundle is just one workaround and it is not even one "easy" workaround.
    Using assetbundle means - at least you need change your basic sw architecture. You don't rely on loadlevel anymore, instead you need handle one or more threads to check all the bundles downloading status - the reason why we need pay more efforts on this is just we can't build..
    Does anymore unity engineer stand out to say something? At least let us know this would be fixed in feature.

30. playemgames

playemgames

I will post some scripts later to help those ease into the asset bundle process more I will put them here and on the wiki. Basically if your project is huge without using bundles or WWW you will need Pro, there is just no way around it, the project will run Out of Memory on build and you'll be stuck with a game you can only play in the editor. So if you are going to finish a game that you have gigabytes worth of data then unless you have the RAM it is a necessary step to completion unless someone has another solution.

In my case I went ahead and bought Pro, I get all the benefits of the current and will get all the benefits of Unity 3 so there is not much to complain about unless your are tight on finances. But it beats having to recode everything if you catch these problems early on and weight the pros and cons of your situation. If you have to recode a lot to accomodate the changes then this is a crossroad where you have to figure if using Unity is right for your project and how much time and money will you have to spend in order to get it ready for distribution.

Either way, this should definitely be addressed in he documentation or some how by the Unity team as it is not apparent at the beginning of the project how Unity handles it's build process. It would have saved a few headaches and a considerable amount of time if I had known that the way I was designing my project was wrong for Unity and that it just shoves everything into memory to try to build it without regard to the overall size of the project.

Anyway, these will be things that I hope will be addressed in Unity 3, and I'll start adding some things to the Wishlist to see if they can be implemented. Maybe even different methods of building your project depending on the size, like a target size of your project so that memory and compression can be properly implemented to make sure you can build your project or at least give you a suggestion on what you need to change to meet a target size within your system's scope.

31. iphoneonly118

iphoneonly118

Looking forward your scripts, thanks a lot.
    I have used pro for a long time, and as you know, doesn't help on this point. In my project, I have used a little bit of assetbundle, but it was just for one small function, not like now, I have to re-design my sw arch, sign..

32. Guru

Guru

For those looking at AssetBundles....have you checked out the Character Customization Example Project?

That project and I believe another makes a lot of use of assetbundles. I have browsed over them and understand what is going on but haven't activated the Pro trial yet so I haven't been able to mess around with them. If nothing else it should give you a decent reference to figure things out until someone else is able to post their own assetbundle scripts.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the other example project is called Asset Bundles ;-)

33. andeeeee

andeeeee

Just to keep you updated... the developers are currently investigating the best way to fix or at least improve this problem with the editor. I'll try to keep the pressure on them to report back on how they are getting on.

34. John Craig Freeman

John Craig Freeman

This is great news andeeee, Thanks.

35. JackRives

JackRives

Well, I've received a mail from the support team saying that they'll fix the 64-bit issue in Unity 3 via the mono update. Hope to see it soon.

36. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

This is good. I've been watching this thread in fear. Didn't think unity needed that much ram to make small games. I've got loads of ram, but was afraid i couldn't get my project much bigger before it blew up in my face.

37. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"support team saying that they'll fix the 64-bit issue in Unity 3 via the mono update"

Sounds promising, thanks for the information.

38. playemgames

playemgames

Yeah I am glad this is getting looked into, my game after building it is only 37MB big, but if I do everything in the Resources folder it cannot build with 4GB of RAM. I am using Pro now with asset bundles because we cannot halt production now, and I created a script for those that are using asset bundles and have lots of content or textures.

Here it is on the Wiki:

http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=BuildAssetBundlesFromDirectory

It basically lets you build asset bundles from all the files in a directory, you can fine tune it to your needs. It's great if you need hundreds of textures or other files bundled without dependency tracking.

I was writing another AssetBundleLoader class, but it doesn't quite work right. Right now it is basically just a static dictionary of WWW's that you have loaded so you can track them and don't load them again. It is kind of hacked from the CharacterCustomization example. If anyone wants to use this and improve it, please post here and if you can get it to work right I'll put it on the wiki.

Code (csharp):
    2. // AssetBundleLoader.cs
    4. using System;
    5. using System.Collections.Generic;
    6. using UnityEngine;
    7. using Object=UnityEngine.Object;
    9. public class AssetBundleLoader
    10. {
    11.     public string name;
    12.     public string bundleName;
    14.     // The WWWs for retrieving the appropriate assetbundle are stored
    15.     // statically, so AssetBundles that share an assetbundle can
    16.     // use the same WWW.
    17.     // path to assetbundle -> WWW for retieving required assets
    18.     static public Dictionary<string, WWW> wwws = new Dictionary<string, WWW>();
    20.     // The required assets are loaded asynchronously to avoid delays
    21.     // when first using them. A LoadAsync results in an AssetBundleRequest
    22.     // which are stored here so we can check their progress and use the
    23.     // assets they contain once they are loaded.
    24.     public AssetBundleRequest bundleRequest;
    26.     public void AssetBundle(string name, string bundleName)
    27.     {
    28.         this.name = name;
    29.         this.bundleName = bundleName;
    30.     }
    32.     // Returns the WWW for retieving the assetbundle required for this
    33.     // AssetBundle, and creates a WWW only if one doesnt exist already.
    34.     public WWW www
    35.     {
    36.         get
    37.         {
    38.             if (!wwws.ContainsKey(bundleName))
    39.             {
    40.                 wwws.Add(bundleName, new WWW(bundleName + ".unity3d"));
    41.             }
    42.             Debug.Log(wwws[bundleName]);
    43.             return wwws[bundleName];
    44.         }
    45.     }
    47.     // Checks whether the Asset for this
    48.     // AssetBundle are loaded, and starts the asynchronous loading
    49.     // of those assets if it has not started already.
    50.     public bool IsLoaded
    51.     {
    52.         get
    53.         {
    54.             if (![url]www.isDone[/url])
    55.             {
    56.                 Debug.Log([url]www.progress[/url]);
    57.                 return false;
    58.             }
    59.             else
    60.             {
    61.                 if (bundleRequest == null)
    62.                 {
    63.                     bundleRequest = www.assetBundle.LoadAsync(name, typeof(Object));
    64.                 }
    65.                 if (!bundleRequest.isDone)
    66.                 {
    67.                     Debug.Log(bundleRequest.progress);
    68.                     return false;
    69.                 }
    70.                 else
    71.                 {
    72.                     Debug.Log(bundleRequest.asset);
    73.                     return true;
    74.                 }
    75.             }
    76.         }
    77.     }
    78. }

Attached Files:

39. Fazaam

Fazaam

Hi !

I'm re-using this thread to ask for help.

We're having some trouble building our game on Unity Free 2.6

Click here for a screenshot of the issue we're having.
    It happens every build, sometimes from the very beginning, without any error log.

Mainly, I would like to know what means those errors in the log, so I can find a way to correct it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Technical information :

Build : Windows Standalone
    RAM : 3Gb
    CPU : QuadCore 3GHz

Unity crashes when reaching 1.9Gb memory used.

40. Fazaam

Fazaam

Fixed !

One texture was marked "missing" in Inspector.

I'm going to trow my computer throught the window :)

Have a nice day :p

41. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"I'm going to trow my computer through the window Smile"

I'm pretty sure that WILL crash Unity!
    :)

42. Wolfram

Wolfram

Hi all.

We just found a solution that worked for us - at least for the moment :wink:
    Status: 28 scenes with many full-HD textures and several terrains with 4k basemaps. Unity crashed all the time somewhere between level 5 and 10 when trying to build, with a Unity process size of 3.5GB plus swapping on a Windoze machine.

I tried many things, including closing Scene, Game, and any other tabs during the build - no change.

The setting that did the trick was, to decrease the Editor Quality settings to "fastest", and also force the texture settings in the "fastest" settings to 1/8th.
    While this leaves the quality of the build totally unaffected, we now can build our 28 scenes easily on both Windoze (max process size 3GB) and Mac (pax process size 2.6GB).

EDIT: for reference, our Asset folder is 4.2GB, the metadata (Library-folder) is 1.8GB, final build size is 1.3GB.

Cheers,
    Wolfram

PS: However, there are still some grave memory handling problems within Unity - we have one scene that consists of nothing else but 30 1080p fullHD-textures (scaled to 2048x1024 via import settings, to prevent internal scaling to 2048x2048 - which the Editor DOES do, although the graphics card may be able to handle the NPOT textures). The build size of that scene is 60MB with 45MB textures (which is in conformity with 30 2048x1024 non-mipmapped dxt1-textures), but loading it in the editor causes the process size to jump to 426MB (actually, for both "fastest" and "fantastic" settings, and the same when building). Even the uncompressed RGB-size of these textures is a mere 190MB, and I remember before we did some texture tweaking that scene bloated the process size of Unity from freshly started to 1.5GB! (with the build still having only 75MB textures and nothing else).
    Not to mention that Unity accumulates all scenes successively in memory during a build, without cleaning up in-between, which is probably the main reason for the out-of-memory problems.

43. Dreamora

Dreamora

I would suspect the main reason for crash being the fact that the unity editor doesn't shut down itself media wise completely before going into build to get the actual editor ram usage to <100mb combined with not cleaning the previous scenes on build ...

44. Wolfram

Wolfram

I always started my builds with a freshly started Unity with no scene loaded, so the problem is only the accumulation of all scenes. But you are correct, if I work with the Editor for a while and then try to build, the crash occurs much earlier.

45. Wolfram

Wolfram

UPDATE: testing this with Unity 3 beta5 I'm happy to report the problem has been fixed!
    Unity will now always cleanup the editor memory as soon as you (or the build process) are loading the next scene. So the only limit now is the <4GB limit for a *single* scene (our largest scene currently has 1.85GB :) )

46. NP_Chrifoldus

NP_Chrifoldus

Hello everyone, I'm sorta new when it comes to Unity but I have a similar problem, Only the message comes with this

I'm using Unity 3 on a 64-bit Windows 7 with 2 GB ram :( .The Project Folder is 800mb.

Please help because its such a big problem.

47. andeeeee

andeeeee

Welcome to the forum, NP_Chrifoldus!

Just to get the obvious out of the way... are you getting any compiler error messages in the console before building? You need to fix all errors in scripts before the game will build.

48. NP_Chrifoldus

NP_Chrifoldus

Thanks andeeee, and I don't have any compile errors at the start though, But thanks for the reply.

49. minevr

minevr

Builded assetbundles from directory,How to do Load them?

50. pitibonom

pitibonom

Ouchies ! had my 1st 'out of mem' crash today :(
    i had some apps running in background. closing them solved the thing but.....

smells bad anyway, as it means i'm reaching some limit :(