Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Presenting The Firetool

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Firetool, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Firetool

Firetool

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOBONS43nEQ

Do you want realistic fire in your game? Fire that isn’t static like a single particle system, but can spread through your scene like a real fire would. Use the Firetool to analyze your scene and customize the flammable materials. Tame fire, so a flame will have the effect you desire. Allow the spark that makes your game special to ignite the scenery and cause a blaze of amazement in your audience.

During the last two month we have been working on a tool that will allow you to design a scene with fire that can slowly burn and spread across a 3d model and to nearby flammable objects in a realistic manner. The tool is far from complete, but includes the following features at this time:
    • A preprocessed fire spreading system for reduced computation at runtime.
    • Different mesh analyses algorithms for automatic conversion of 3d model into flammable objects.
    • A “Point Spawn” method for custom conversion.
    • Complete control of flammable object characteristics such as how long and how readily an object burns.
    • The ability to include a sound loop either at the center of the object or at the specific points on the surface that is burning.
    • A shader system that will blend between two textures of choice depending on the progress of the fire.

Please view the above video for a demonstration of the features.

PLEASE READ:
    We would like comments and suggestions on the prospective usefulness of this tool and suggestions to features it should include or features that should be changed. This is part of a university project and we will be gathering the comments by Thursday the 22nd to include them in our report.

Thank you in advance,
    Group 830, Medialogy Aalborg University, Denmark

PS: The source code might be uploaded on request. In that case it will be 'as is' :p

Edit:
    Treat
    As a little treat we present a link to the unity island demo modified by our Firetool. In the demo you may shoot the nearby hut and the adjacent tree with a fireball.
    http://www.gutling.dk/UnityDemo/IslandFireWeb.html
    We also put in a little Easter egg in the vicinity.
    (Hint: uphill)

Edit 2:
    Source Code
    A lot of people seem to be interested in the source code, which is fantastic, but we have agreed internally not to upload it till sometime after Friday due to the project we are writing. We would like comments here to be focused on the opportunities this community can find based on what we present in the video. A good bet is that the source code will be uploaded within a week from Friday. As to how it will be uploaded, as asked by Wolf Dreamer, we will probably upload it for all to download and hopefully comment on it.

Edit 3:
    Release postponed
    We have received a lot of positive feedback, more than we expected. Honoring this feedback we would like create a more presentable version of the firetool.

We are sorry for not being more active in this thread. But rest assured, the development of the firetool is most certainly not dead Smile
    At present the tree of us are engaged in separate unity game projects, scattered around the country and we will therefore have to postpone the 'release' of a beta version till a later date. Possibly late June when we are past our exams and have time to develop further on the project.

We will post status updates as the development progresses within this thread, but for the time being the project is at a standstill.

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to replay to this thread, pm us or send an e-mail to firetool@gutling.dk

We hope for your patience,
    Firetool team.

2. AgainstTime

AgainstTime

Looks amazing, Goodjob!

+1 for sourceCode request.

3. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

That's very cool. Not useful to me at this particular moment, but I'm sure it will be for some... Nice work.

4. bradjensen68

bradjensen68

Very nice. Reminds me of Max Payne.

5. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Looks awesome. Only thing that I can say would be cool is if somehow you could do a mesh transform for things like the trees where the leaves could curl up some while the texture is changing. Just kind of a thing that would be cool.

But, very good job as is.

6. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

It looks really great, would love to give it a testdrive in a project I have going.

Well done indeed,
    Matt.

7. mikesgames

mikesgames

really cool!

8. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

That looks quite useful to me, nice work!

9. platonia96

platonia96

1 more request to upload

10. chingwa

chingwa

This is awesome. I would also like to see if not a mesh replacement swap... similar to the texture blend. I don't know how useful this is to me at the moment, but just knowing it exists opens up possibilities in the mind ^_^

Thank you and nice work.

11. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

The YouTube video is great!

Running around setting people on fire is cool.

Having some fires be able to spread and others not is important also. You want to be able to burn a house and let it spread throughout the home, and to other buildings, of course. But if you set a person on fire, they aren't likely to run around spreading that fire to every building they pass or other people they bump into.

Normally when a person is running down the street on fire, I like to step out the way. That's how I've survived this long. ;)

Great video though. This is certainly something I'd like to try out.

12. DisTrash

DisTrash

could you upload this script please. thanks.

It is free of use (commercial use ?)

Thanks a lot !

Best Regards. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

13. aspide

aspide

One more for the script, and let me say this is brilliant !

14. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Neato. This is pretty amazing.
    Source code would indeed be cool.

15. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I have to request the Source Code. It's too awesome to pass up.

And this looks amazing and helpful.

16. amigo

amigo

+1 for the source.

17. Discord

Discord

Looks great!

18. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

I think everyone would want the source to this.

So much potential for amusing mass destruction. :twisted: And it adds a great level of realism to all games.

Do you want everyone to ask individually, or were you just going to upload it somewhere for anyone to get?

19. Firetool

Firetool

Thanks
    Thank you all for the kind comments and good suggestions. We really were not sure on how this would be received by this community, but what a warm welcome from all of you.

Source Code
    A lot of people seem to be interested in the source code, which is fantastic, but we have agreed internally not to upload it till sometime after Friday due to the project we are writing. We would like comments here to be focused on the opportunities this community can find based on what we present in the video. A good bet is that the source code will be uploaded within a week from Friday. As to how it will be uploaded, as asked by Wolf Dreamer, we will probably upload it for all to download and hopefully comment on it.

Treat
    As a little treat we present a link to the unity island demo modified by our Firetool. In the demo you may shoot the nearby hut and the adjacent tree with a fireball.
    http://www.gutling.dk/UnityDemo/IslandFireWeb.html
    We also put in a little Easter egg in the vicinity.
    (Hint: uphill)

Specific Replies:

Caliber Mengsk and chingwa:
    Some form of mesh transformation or swapping is a really cool suggestion. We have a few ideas for how this could be done. Mesh transformation or deformation might be computationally too expensive to perform on for instance the leaves of a tree. In the case of a tree the construction of the 3d model will definitely have a say in how the transformation would be done. Mesh swapping should be straight forward though. Great input!

Wolf Dreamer:
    The footage with the people burning is from the game Postal 2 (link www.postal2.com ), and their fire does not spread. As far as we know it is not made with the Unity engine, or with our tool :p but thanks for your comment.

As the tool functions now it is possible to create a scene where houses are a lot harder to set on fire than people. A person on fire could be configured to not disperse as much heat as the house would disperse to the person. We see your point in making this more adjustable we have not delved too much in this yet. So great input as well!

DisTrash:
    We have not discussed the rights of use. Probably open source general public license. An honorable mention would be nice in any case. We put some effort into this :)

Thank you, all of you, keep the comments coming.
    /grp 830

20. Essal

Essal

This is amazing.

Keep up the awesome work guys!

21. platonia96

platonia96

strange glitch- after the fire goes out i cant go near the burnt object- it creates a collider of some sort around it?

22. Firetool

Firetool

Ohh thats right. We spawn a box collider on inactive objects for optimization, and the isTrigger property was accidentally set to false which makes it collide with rigid bodies.

The bug should be fixed now :) Thanks for telling.

23. DisTrash

DisTrash

Really cool, ;)

It is possible to spit fire like the mutant who throw fire in X-men movie. ?

In FPS or third person ?

It will be very cool for dragons and creatures to throw fire.

Thanks a lot !!

Best Regards.
    ;) ;) ;)

24. sebako

sebako

yeah flameballs walls like in diablo II
    or a devourer :)

btw: I love the Video!

edit: +1 for source ;)

25. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

Some trees can be set on fire, which is cool.

I wonder about the birds though. I climb the hill and I see a flock fly over me, but I can't seem to hit any of them with the flaming soccer ball.

Was that the Easter Egg? Be funny if there was an actual giant egg somewhere, and when you started to cook it, the birds all flew down and attacked you. Or a fire breathing dragon hatched, looked about at all the fiery destruction you had wrought onto the island, and then set you on fire instead, you burning to death while he chuckled and snorted smoke at you, as young dragons are want to do.

26. Taytus

Taytus

+1 for the code.
    Great job guys.
    Congrats.

27. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This doesn't look like fire to me at all, maybe it has to be seen to be believed?

28. User340

User340

Wow, that looks interesting.

29. Juergen66

Juergen66

This really is awesome.

The sourcecode would be great.

Thanks
    Jürgen

30. Route 66 Rambler

Route 66 Rambler

I'm working on a Grand Theft Auto-style game, and one interesting effect would be for crashed vehicles like automobiles or helicopters, planes etc. to light things on fire when they explode.

I am really liking this idea, would also like source code posted.

Great work, great idea!

31. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Yes it does. The only thing needing work is a realistic particle.

32. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

I agree, while i like the script, the textures themselves look very unrealistic. maybe someone can donate some decent textures so we'd have a real winner on our hands.

33. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

SUGGESTION!!!

Perhaps a particle effect of just some small amount of smoke coming off the pieces after being burnt. (aka after the fire goes away.) At least for a little while.

Just a suggestion.

34. platonia96

platonia96

...this is still being uploaded, right?

35. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Lol, the topic just suddenly died. Anyways, ya is this still being updated?

36. Guru

Guru

Interested as well...been checking back since I saw a link to it on one of the Unity Answers threads. This would be amazing..so much prettier then my solution for fire is.

37. Firetool

Firetool

We have received a lot of positive feedback, more than we expected. Honoring this feedback we would like create a more presentable version of the firetool.

We are sorry for not being more active in this thread. But rest assured, the development of the firetool is most certainly not dead :)
    At present the tree of us are engaged in separate unity game projects, scattered around the country and we will therefore have to postpone the 'release' of a beta version till a later date. Possibly late June when we are past our exams and have time to develop further on the project.

We will post status updates as the development progresses within this thread, but for the time being the project is at a standstill.

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to replay to this thread, pm us or send an e-mail to firetool@gutling.dk

We hope for your patience,
    Firetool team.

38. platonia96

platonia96

How longs that new version going to take?

39. Vert

Vert

+1 for source and tool

This. Is. Fantastic.

I WANT IT!

40. descenderdante

descenderdante

Any Updates on the Fire tool?

41. ikke998

ikke998

I made some realistic animated fire, feel free to use this!

Attached Files:

42. Esila

Esila

Request The Source Code

43. SunTzu

SunTzu

@ ikke998: Thanks for the fire particles. I was hoping to see the fire tool that they mentioned, but at least found some basic fire effects with your post. :)

@ firetool: Here are some additional ideas:

SWAP OUT PREFABS - Have alternate prefabs with different textures and bump maps to show the burnt items. There is probably a way to use layers to fade between the two prefabs or materials based on the particles effect on the different portions of the item being burnt.

FIRE EFFECTS TO ENVIRONMENT - I noticed that someone mentioned the birds. It would be nice for a fire effect to impact creatures within the environment and to be affected by things like wind to spread to other areas. One thing that Unity could help with in serious gaming is to provide ways to prototype forest fires to see what the possible paths and damage might be based on current wind and weather conditions. Just thought that might be a later use of your technology too. It would be cool to see Unity tie into real world live data on weather and show those affects in world.

Hope to see the code one day soon, even if it's not all the way perfected. You can always post updates to the code later as you further refine it.

44. RoyS

RoyS

That fire looks fantastic, ikke998.

45. ikke998

ikke998

Is this still being developed?

46. Artimese

Artimese

This is really awesome, but just a minor setback being the frame rate drops like crazy when theres a lot of stuff on fire, so you should put a limit to it (i was at lowest around 15 frames at a quite simple scene)

47. MichaelHi

MichaelHi

so cool!

48. shadyfella13

shadyfella13

Looks amazing ... this looks as if it would be really useful. Will the FireTool ever be available to the community ?

49. fabio1955

fabio1955

FireTool are you still alive?

50. HDDEAD

HDDEAD

+1 to the source!