Unity Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Posts

Presenting The Firetool

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOBONS43nEQ

Do you want realistic fire in your game? Fire that isn’t static like a single particle system, but can spread through your scene like a real fire would. Use the Firetool to analyze your scene and customize the flammable materials. Tame fire, so a flame will have the effect you desire. Allow the spark that makes your game special to ignite the scenery and cause a blaze of amazement in your audience.

During the last two month we have been working on a tool that will allow you to design a scene with fire that can slowly burn and spread across a 3d model and to nearby flammable objects in a realistic manner. The tool is far from complete, but includes the following features at this time:
    • A preprocessed fire spreading system for reduced computation at runtime.
    • Different mesh analyses algorithms for automatic conversion of 3d model into flammable objects.
    • A “Point & Spawn” method for custom conversion.
    • Complete control of flammable object characteristics such as how long and how readily an object burns.
    • The ability to include a sound loop either at the center of the object or at the specific points on the surface that is burning.
    • A shader system that will blend between two textures of choice depending on the progress of the fire.

Please view the above video for a demonstration of the features.

PLEASE READ:
    We would like comments and suggestions on the prospective usefulness of this tool and suggestions to features it should include or features that should be changed. This is part of a university project and we will be gathering the comments by Thursday the 22nd to include them in our report.

Thank you in advance,
    Group 830, Medialogy Aalborg University, Denmark

PS: The source code might be uploaded on request. In that case it will be 'as is' :P

Edit:
    Treat
    As a little treat we present a link to the unity island demo modified by our Firetool. In the demo you may shoot the nearby hut and the adjacent tree with a fireball.
    http://www.gutling.dk/UnityDemo/IslandFireWeb.html
    We also put in a little Easter egg in the vicinity.
    (Hint: uphill)

Edit 2:
    Source Code
    A lot of people seem to be interested in the source code, which is fantastic, but we have agreed internally not to upload it till sometime after Friday due to the project we are writing. We would like comments here to be focused on the opportunities this community can find based on what we present in the video. A good bet is that the source code will be uploaded within a week from Friday. As to how it will be uploaded, as asked by Wolf Dreamer, we will probably upload it for all to download and hopefully comment on it.

Edit 3:
    Release postponed
    We have received a lot of positive feedback, more than we expected. Honoring this feedback we would like create a more presentable version of the firetool.

We are sorry for not being more active in this thread. But rest assured, the development of the firetool is most certainly not dead Smile
    At present the tree of us are engaged in separate unity game projects, scattered around the country and we will therefore have to postpone the 'release' of a beta version till a later date. Possibly late June when we are past our exams and have time to develop further on the project.

We will post status updates as the development progresses within this thread, but for the time being the project is at a standstill.

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to replay to this thread, pm us or send an e-mail to firetool@gutling.dk

We hope for your patience,
    Firetool team.

2. Posts
    Looks amazing, Goodjob!

+1 for sourceCode request.
    Freelancer - Looking to join a team/company. especially experienced in MMO development.
    Owned : UnityPRO

3. Location
    UK
    That's very cool. Not useful to me at this particular moment, but I'm sure it will be for some... Nice work.

4. Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Very nice. Reminds me of Max Payne.

5. Posts
    Looks awesome. Only thing that I can say would be cool is if somehow you could do a mesh transform for things like the trees where the leaves could curl up some while the texture is changing. Just kind of a thing that would be cool.

But, very good job as is.
    My Products - smart crosshair/mouse, transition effects, super simple leaderboard, smoke particles
    Current Project: Temporarily None.

6. Location
    Co Donegal, Ireland
    It looks really great, would love to give it a testdrive in a project I have going.

Well done indeed,
    Matt.

7. Location
    Thetford,UK

8. Location
    Twin Cities
    That looks quite useful to me, nice work!

9. Location
    USA
    1 more request to upload

10. Location
    NYC
    This is awesome. I would also like to see if not a mesh replacement swap... similar to the texture blend. I don't know how useful this is to me at the moment, but just knowing it exists opens up possibilities in the mind ^_^

Thank you and nice work.

11. Location
    The land of chaotic dreams
    The YouTube video is great!

Running around setting people on fire is cool.

Having some fires be able to spread and others not is important also. You want to be able to burn a house and let it spread throughout the home, and to other buildings, of course. But if you set a person on fire, they aren't likely to run around spreading that fire to every building they pass or other people they bump into.

Normally when a person is running down the street on fire, I like to step out the way. That's how I've survived this long.

Great video though. This is certainly something I'd like to try out.
    The last sane human being in a world gone mad.

12. Location
    France
    could you upload this script please. thanks.

It is free of use (commercial use ?)

Thanks a lot !

Best Regards.

13. Posts
    One more for the script, and let me say this is brilliant !

14. Location
    Sooke
    Neato. This is pretty amazing.
    Source code would indeed be cool.
    -Insert quote here
    ---Famous Person

15. Location
    Austin, Texas
    I have to request the Source Code. It's too awesome to pass up.

And this looks amazing and helpful.

16. Posts
    +1 for the source.

17. Location
    Alabama

18. Location
    The land of chaotic dreams
    I think everyone would want the source to this.

So much potential for amusing mass destruction. And it adds a great level of realism to all games.

Do you want everyone to ask individually, or were you just going to upload it somewhere for anyone to get?
    The last sane human being in a world gone mad.

19. Posts

Update

Thanks
    Thank you all for the kind comments and good suggestions. We really were not sure on how this would be received by this community, but what a warm welcome from all of you.

Source Code
    A lot of people seem to be interested in the source code, which is fantastic, but we have agreed internally not to upload it till sometime after Friday due to the project we are writing. We would like comments here to be focused on the opportunities this community can find based on what we present in the video. A good bet is that the source code will be uploaded within a week from Friday. As to how it will be uploaded, as asked by Wolf Dreamer, we will probably upload it for all to download and hopefully comment on it.

Treat
    As a little treat we present a link to the unity island demo modified by our Firetool. In the demo you may shoot the nearby hut and the adjacent tree with a fireball.
    http://www.gutling.dk/UnityDemo/IslandFireWeb.html
    We also put in a little Easter egg in the vicinity.
    (Hint: uphill)

Specific Replies:

Caliber Mengsk and chingwa:
    Some form of mesh transformation or swapping is a really cool suggestion. We have a few ideas for how this could be done. Mesh transformation or deformation might be computationally too expensive to perform on for instance the leaves of a tree. In the case of a tree the construction of the 3d model will definitely have a say in how the transformation would be done. Mesh swapping should be straight forward though. Great input!

Wolf Dreamer:
    The footage with the people burning is from the game Postal 2 (link www.postal2.com ), and their fire does not spread. As far as we know it is not made with the Unity engine, or with our tool :P but thanks for your comment.

As the tool functions now it is possible to create a scene where houses are a lot harder to set on fire than people. A person on fire could be configured to not disperse as much heat as the house would disperse to the person. We see your point in making this more adjustable we have not delved too much in this yet. So great input as well!

DisTrash:
    We have not discussed the rights of use. Probably open source general public license. An honorable mention would be nice in any case. We put some effort into this

Thank you, all of you, keep the comments coming.
    /grp 830

20. Location
    Denmark
    This is amazing.

Keep up the awesome work guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast