Search Unity

moving or deleting files with SVN

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sortasoft, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Sortasoft

Sortasoft

Is there some trick to reliably move or delete a file/folder in your project when using SVN? This is especially difficult if you want to rename a folder.

If I do the initial rename with SVN, then I lose references in the Unity project.

If I do the initial rename in Unity, then SVN gets confused.

The best solution I have come up with, is to rename in Unity (this changes reference). Then quit Unity and rename in the file system to the original name. Then finally do the SVN rename. This is such a hack, please tell me there's a better way!

2. Tysoe

Tysoe

I haven't noticed any problems renaming in Unity assets and then committing changes.

All that happens for me is that the old assets are shown as missing in the pre commit dialog of tortoise SVN. When I commit, those missing files are shown to have been deleted, the new files committed and everything runs normally.

Are you using pro with VCE enabled in editor settings? Only other thing we did was disable libraries/cache and libraries/metadata

Perhaps your still committing those and the old metadata is confusing things? With VCS enabled the correct metadata is stored alongside your assets. So long as you edit your folders, move, delete and rename files from within Unity not explorer it should all work fine.

3. Sortasoft

Sortasoft

Thanks for the advice. Yup I have VCE enabled. I tried and you're correct about individual files. However, the issue remains when renaming a folder. The old .svn folder inside of it still thinks it is the original folder name.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

You need to do the rename in unity, after that, go to the renamed folder, delete the .svn folder in there and normally add this new folder to svn. Then go back to the original place, make a revert there for the folder so it reappaers then svn delete it.

5. dmitryb

dmitryb

second this.

Is there a way to write a script that will be executed on drag file/folder commands?

6. brad_ict

brad_ict

bump!

So, the Unity docs say:
    I understand that ultimately moving and renaming has to be done with SVN, but this thread indicates that doing so FIRST would break connections with objects <-> scripts. Anyone from Unity that can chime in and advise on the best practice for this? If dreamora and Tysoe are correct, it seems Unity should really add these points to the documentation..it's certainly not a straightforward workflow most users will just figure out..

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

My recommended workflow with SVN / GIT is:

do yourself the favor, buy smartSVN / smartGIT (own both and couldn't be any happier and that as a multiyear user of tortoise) and then just move the file in unity.

now switch to smartSVN into your project in there and start the "detect move" functionality or just do a commit in which case it does it too. in 90%++ of the cases it will automatically detect moves.

also it detects added and removed files which all in all makes svn a 10 times more pleasant experience especially when used as VCS in unity :)

drewvancamp likes this.
  8. brad_ict

brad_ict

Thanks very much for the advice! Wondering if you can clarify or reword what you're talking about here:

What about the .meta files? Did you configure smartSVN to handle these?

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

it will handle them too once added to the svn repository which it will do on the first commit unless you tell it to not add them (it by default adds all files, shows that very well done and with meaningfull coloring in the commit dialog)

they have a trial license so you can give it a go before deciding to invest
    another factor for me was that it is cross platform so I can use it on my windows as well as my osx box, not keeping 2 tools in mind etc

10. Tom163

Tom163

Uh, you guys do realize that if you delete/add in subversion, you lose all history, yes?

Using something like smartSVN to actually detect the move and let subversion realize it is a move and not a new file is definitely what you want to do.

drewvancamp likes this.
  11. brad_ict

brad_ict

Great point Tom, I was gonna raise that issue. Our team is going to look at SmartSVN, I'll post lessons learned and workflow specifics for the community.

12. EJSainz

EJSainz

I know this is a very old thread, but it would be great if @brad_ict could share your team experience with SmartSVN.

In our case it's about not losing history, but also about not having to commit a heavy load of data: in order to keep the project organized we move a lot of data, and having to commit it to a slow-but-cheap SVN repo takes a lot of time.

Thanks in advance for your insight!