Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fur Shader

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Jonathan Czeck, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I made a 20 pass two directional light + ambient fur shader for a game I'm working on. I'm sharing it in hopes that someone will help optimize it, since this is my first Cg program. :)

It should run on anything that supports vertex programs. It runs really slowly on a GMA 950 as it is vertex bound, but taking out a light and making it 10 passes can make it acceptable for that card. Not much else to do about it. :(

The crummy thing is that it doesn't use Unity's lighting system, so I have a script that passes two directional lights of your choice to the shader that you stick on the furry object. I don't know how to make it use Unity's lighting system.

It uses shells and not fins, but you can fade out the shells along the edges with one of the parameters if you want to add some fins with another material / triangle list.

Cheers,
    -Jon

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

If only all the soldiers in Global Conflicts Palestine looked like this. :D

-Jon

Attached Files:

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Your Cg is quite good in fact! Two things I changed:

I changed the way you do extrusion. I just add normal to the object space position, and then transform that by regular MVP matrix. This produces different result than extrusion you did (which was some sort of extrusion in post-perspective space), but it saves a couple of instructions; and possibly some shader constants because less parameters are used.

Then I removed support for texture scale&offset. So that's a loss of flexibility, but a save of matrix multiplication in the vertex shader.

So now the vertex shader is 28 instructions, down from 34. That could make some difference on GMA950; hard to guess how much exactly.

I've also moved some more code into the helper .cginc file, so the shader file itself is now shorter.

Other interesting things to try (no for GMA950 though... I think): do a proper anisotropic lighting on the fur. Now it treats fur normals the same as surface normals; whereas in real fur the normals point to all directions orthogonal to surface normal.

Attached Files:

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Yeah, I'm not sure what was going on with that. I tried something like you've done first but couldn't get it working for some reason. Thanks!
    Yeah, don't need this for a real character.
    It did! In a test scene it went from 17 fps to 25 fps. Now with a 10 pass 1 light version it is even more acceptable. Of course it still runs hundreds of FPS even on a lowly Radeon 9600...
    Ahh, clever. Thanks
    Yeah, there seems to be a ton more to be done with this, but I think it may be good/slow enough for our purposes for now. Nicholas pointed me to these cool slides with way better fur. He also helped idea wise with the shader, so thanks Nicholas. :)
    http://ati.amd.com/developer/SIGGRAPH02/CustomizableFur_Isidoro.pdf

-Jon

5. AaronC

AaronC

Jon-Aras,
    You guys are fantastic-seriously. Is there anything you cant do?

This takes things to a new level. I cant believe how quickly you can whip stuff up like this. Mega cred 2 u guys.
    AC

6. taumel

taumel

The soldier looks nice. :O)

One question: Do the shells result into real polys in the end like if you just would clone a modell, enlarge it and reduce the alpha value of the texture step by step?

7. taumel

taumel

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes. In essence this draws the model 20 times, extruded more and more each time. So it's almost the same as creating 20 shells manually (the vertex shader also does some fading out at the edges).

larsbertram1 likes this.
  9. Marble

Marble

Taumel: That would be rather cool as a sun with a wreath of flame.

10. taumel

taumel

@Aras

Is a shader version theoretically any faster because for instance it spares this or that mathematical transformation compared to a grouped object where i just rotate the parent?

The sw3d example is overall under 50 lines of code and also runs on really old shaderless hardware. A shaderversion for sure is more flexible and the better way to go if you make it more complex.

By the way is there a good tutorial around (a crash course) for working with shaders in unity? I only did four really simple things and i guess there's much more to explore...

11. taumel

taumel

@Marble
    I'm not sure, i guess there are better ways to fake a sun. I think i would more go for a particel solution then...

12. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Does the shaderless version simply scale the object up? That only works for very simple geometry as you want to extrude each vertex along the normal. For a sphere that's fine, but not for anthing real.

You can use the mesh interface to do pretty much the same in Unity at loadtime. Performance should be about the same.

The shader one is faster once you begin skinning the objects.

13. taumel

taumel

Yep, it only clones (same ressource) and scales a sphere but it would be enough for a marble game or even a fur-pacman... ;O)

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I managed to shave off two more instructions from the vertex shader. Replace FurVertexPass in my previous package's Fur/Support/FurHelpers.cginc with this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. void FurVertexPass(float multiplier, appdata_base v, float furLength,
    2.     out float4 pos, out float fog, out float4 color, out float4 uv)
    3. {
    4.     // extrude position
    5.     float4 wpos = v.vertex;
    6.     wpos.xyz += v.normal * furLength * multiplier;
    7.     pos = mul(glstate.matrix.mvp, wpos);    
    9.     // fog
    10.     fog = pos.w;
    12.     // UV (pass through to save instr - loses tiling/offset though)
    13.     uv = v.texcoord;
    15.     // edge fade out
    16.     float alpha = 1 - (multiplier * multiplier);
    17.     // transform normal into eye space and use Z component
    18.     // to control the fade
    19.     float3 eyeNormal = mul((float3x3)glstate.matrix.modelview[0],
    20.         v.normal);
    21.     alpha += saturate(eyeNormal.z) - _EdgeFade;
    23.     // lighting
    24.     float3 normalWorld = mul ((float3x3)_Object2World, v.normal);
    26.     float light0 = clamp(dot(normalWorld, _LightDirection0.xyz),
    27.         _MyLightColor0.w, 1);
    28.     float light1 = clamp(dot(normalWorld, _LightDirection1.xyz),
    29.         _MyLightColor1.w, 1);
    31.     color = float4((light0 * _MyLightColor0).xyz +
    32.         (light1 * _MyLightColor1).xyz,alpha);
    33. }
    I changed the part that calculates the alpha - instead of calculating view direction (which involves a costly normalize), I just transform normal into view space and use it's Z component to do the fade.

15. taumel

taumel

Works...

Any idea on a shader crash course?

16. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Here's how I learnt it:

I started out by playing with texture combiners - like trying to do nice glass with fresnel falloff (which can be made to run on anything).

Next I would make them run on more modern combiners. IIRC, you have a Mac mini with a radeon9000 GFX card. That means moving the shaders to the ATIFS1 assembly language (which is simpler than the name implies). There are a bunch of examples at the bottom of the ATI_TEXT_FRAGMENT_SHADER spec.

ATI has a lot of Radeon85000-based articles online from ShaderX1 - they are made for DirectX, so the format is bit different from the OpenGL one used in Unity. Moving these over gets you going - basically you get in the habit of "thinking like a pixel".

Ignore lighting at first - it's quite complex, a major hassle not very fun. Just focus on doing fun effects (gems, ligtning, water, etc).

17. taumel

taumel

@Nicholas
    Okay, thanks

@Aras
    Could you alter your one so that the tiling is back?

18. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Just insert matrix multiplication where UV is computed in the vertex shader; just like it was in the first Jon's package.

19. taumel

taumel

Which then try to overwrite yours in unity...couldn't you cut&paste the relevant lines here and say where to insert?

20. pete

pete

ditto! cool as... fur!

21. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

You have to move each vertex out along the normal, not scale the whole thing up as they've said.

Also if you have a skinned character, the skinning transformations would only happen once with the shader version I hope which I'd think would save some CPU.

Also the shader version has the Edge Fade property and I'm working on hacking in fake better fur lighting in the vertex shader.

-Jon

22. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Fine...
    Code (csharp):
    1. uv = v.texcoord;
    to:
    Code (csharp):
    1. uv = mul( glstate.matrix.texture[0], v.texcoord );
    -Jon

p.s. Man oh man this shader takes so long to compile.

23. taumel

taumel

*back to the computer...*

Ahhh do you also have such a good weather these days? :O)

Thanks Jon but it doesn't work here. Do i have to rebuild or do anything special beside of altering the line and saving the script?

The interesting thing about the tiling is that you can come up with pretty nice furs if you use photoshop and imagesynth...

24. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Change the .cginc file and then also save the .shader file. We don't track Cg includes right now, so you have to save the shader to force it to recompile.

25. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Thanks! I guess it could be used for ass fur.

-Jon

26. taumel

taumel

Okay thanks that worked...

27. AGhost

AGhost

Is this written for specific video cards? because it isn't working on my Radeon 7500 (eMac) or my Radeon X300 (PC).

AGhost

28. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

This needs vertex shaders. Radeon 7500 does not have them; and Radeon X300 does have them, but it might be that in your case you have old drivers or something (we explicitly disable vertex shaders on some ATI drivers... otherwise they would crash).

29. AaronC

AaronC

Ok, looks like this shaders gone from summer coat to winter coat( a few changes). Perhaps someone with the latest working version could post it here or on the wiki?
    Cheers
    AC

30. taumel

taumel

a) Download Aras version.
    b) Open the files ".cginc" and ".shader".
    c) Replace "uv = v.texcoord;" with "uv = mul( glstate.matrix.texture[0], v.texcoord );" in .cginc.
    d) Save both and be patient for a few seconds.

Et voila...

31. pete

pete

>>Thanks! I guess it could be used for ass fur.

lol. didn't mean that! my ... was more of a pause. but i guess, sure, it could. nice one either way!

32. slippyd

slippyd

Since everyone seems to like the idea of a good fur shader, how about you guys post it to the wiki once everyone agrees it's optimized/flexible enough?

33. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Can someone post a web player so we can see it in action?

34. Brian-Kehrer

Brian-Kehrer

Here is some ass fur...

The shader has the nice effect of anti-aliasing fuzzy creatures, even if they have relatively short fur. (in the case of the bear below)

Given unlimited power, I would use a shader like this on many objects to soften edges on objects, or on anything that AA didn't fully correct. 8)

It would be awesome if we could get this running on a variety of hardware

Attached Files:

35. slippyd

slippyd

Wait a second, is there a Unity 2 beta out? The GUI in those screenshots is different than the 1.6.1 GUI (or did they just update the GUI in 1.6.2 without mentioning it in the release notes?)

36. nickavv

nickavv

Hey, I didn't notice the GUI thing. Wierd. But I like it. :) But to be on topic, the fur shader = <3, but it looks a little odd around tight corners. but still, good work.

37. oPless_

oPless_

Looks almost windows xp-ish to me.

What gives?

38. slippyd

slippyd

39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The result of some skinning app like Shapeshifter, maybe?

--Eric

40. slippyd

slippyd

Doubt it. What's the story, Brian?

41. Brian-Kehrer

Brian-Kehrer

what GUI?

I don't see any GUI...

Cough. cough...

8)

Do you like the shader?
    Skinned in maya using good ole' Pelting Tools--so it's relatively clean uv layout.

Obviously the left bear is without any fur shader.

42. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

There hasn't been any work on this shader in some time, but it appears to still be the only publicly available fur shader for Unity. Where does the lighting limitation stem from? It would be really nice to be able to use Unity's lighting.

43. blackant

blackant

thanks for your job, this is marvellous !

44. andeeeee

andeeeee

You'd do other things as well, though, right? Fix global warming and create world peace, maybe? ;-)

45. Caiuse

Caiuse

Okay i understand this is an old post, sorry for resserecting it, but I'm having a problems with the shader, Im trying to use the shader on a object that is scaled by 50000, but for some reason is does not show at all, is there a way of making the shader scale too so the fur effect actually shows?

46. FreelandCJV

FreelandCJV

Hey Aras/tamuel (sorry if I spelled your name wrong... :oops: )

I'm having trouble with your shaders.
    When I download them to my Mac, I get something like this on the web page that opens:

‹

47. DaveA

DaveA

Any chance this can be updated for Unity 3.0? iPhone? Android?

48. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Bump-ity bump, I would like to see this working for unity 3 too!

49. Esprite

Esprite

Another bump, could use this as well :p

50. thellama

thellama

Aye, a 3.0 version would be awesome.