Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dastardly Banana -(Free) FPS Weapons Package UPDATE- 0.95

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jason_DB, Mar 29, 2010.

1. mikevanman

mikevanman

Great update just wondering if their was any ETA on the shop ?

2. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Hopefully soon. We've been very close to getting it up for about a week now, but we've been sidetracked by other things (some of which are cool things to put in the store).

3. reaper2259

reaper2259

OK thanks yeah i was thinking about editing the selectable weapon script before i posted but i just wasn't sure on what would be the best to do.

and sorry i didn't no that the package was able to replace the weapons( i haven't really done that much testing with it.)

4. I Acid Reflux I

I Acid Reflux I

Ok I have a problem .

Problem:
    I have all the animation on my arms and guns (Reload,Fire etc...) but aim down the sight does not have any affect on either the gun or arms, also the sprint doesn't rotate them either, just goes side to side faster than walk animation.

Possible Solution for me: I have created Sprint and ADS animations, but being a hard ass nub like me, do not know how to incorporate these animations (PS. I tried but not worth showing). Please inform me how. You could also tell me the reason for the problem so I can correct my Animation/Model.

If You got lost tell me and i'll put up a video showcasing my problem.

TY in Advance

-Ac1d

5. davew175

davew175

Can you provide additional details on the problems? You can pm me with the details.

6. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

This sounds to me like it's just not set up correctly. If I had to guess, it would probably be due to one of the following based on your description (since I know that the aiming is being activated if the sway speeds up):

1) You didn't define sprint/aim positions.

2) Your gun model isn't actually a child of the AimObject, so it doesn't move when aiming.

3) The aim rate is set to 0.

Just make sure that you're following the tutorial correctly, and compare your gun to the example ones to see what's different, and it should work fine. (Also I wouldn't suggest an ADS animation because it would probably be a pain to line up, and not as easily modifiable as when it's done programmatically).

7. Knight12ify

Knight12ify

Okay, this is awesome. I'm making a game in which Roman Mythology devours the world of modern Italy and the guns and sword are awesome.

But I'm also making a multiplayer mode, (all of the game is fps) , so do you think you could add that into your package?

8. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

I'm glad you like it! There'll be some nice italian guns (well, at least one) for sale, too, once we get the store ready.

I'm not really sure what youlre asking me to add, though. The package should already support multiplayer.

9. coin-god

coin-god

He probably means the things seted up.

10. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Okay. I don't think that will be added to this package, since it's really outside of the scope of the weapons and player object which I'm focusing on.

Also, for anyone who's curious, the features for the next update will probably be:

-Smoothed rotation for aimObject
    -Spray weapons (like flamethrowers)
    -tracer rounds
    -Idle animation support
    -(maybe) ladder climbing
    -Improved melee and alternate fire (automatic reloading makes melee-attack secondary possible).
    -Ability to map alt fire to different button than aim.
    -Various bug fixes

11. I Acid Reflux I

I Acid Reflux I

What is the estimated arrival of the update? As this will determine further work on my project. Also I fixed my problem I set it up wrong after going through it again.

Just a suggestion...

Could you in a future update support Aim down sight Animations, because as stated before me, the change position doesn't work if you implement your own animations or model.

-Ac1d

12. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

-It's hard to tell,we've got a lot of thing going on and even once the update is finished it takes time to make tutorials and such.

- The change position works with any model if it's set up properly, unless you've encountered some sort of very serious glitch which I have yet to encounter (hopefully not). The models and animations have no bearing on the movement; I've set up dozens of weapons with different models and animations and they don't affect the aiming.
    (Also, where was it stated before you? If it has happened for multiple people I need to check with them to see if it's a bug/what's causing it)

The reason which I would consider doing ADS animations is for things like handguns, where the second hand moves in to hold/support the gun when aiming. They would be intended to work in tandem with the scripted movement.

13. coin-god

coin-god

No man. It works, you are surelly doing something wrong.

Jason, what about diferent Spark effects? I thought you said you were going to add it. :p

What are this really?
    *Smoothed rotation for aimObject
    *tracer rounds

Spray weapons will ver very very usefull for my game! Thanks for adding support for it. :!:

Hopefully when I finish my real weapons models (im using some quick made ones atm), Ill start posting some screens. :D

14. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

-Smoothed rotation just means that the transitions to aim/sprint will look better, because right now the rotation instantly changes instead of changing over time.

-Tracer rounds are when you can see a trail where bullets are fired, which most games have.

-As far as different spark effects I'll look at it and see if I can put it in the update.

-Also, I'm looking forward to seeing some screens :).

15. Absolutely Nothing FPS

Absolutely Nothing FPS

I am also having the same problem as Acid Reflux.

16. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Does this happen in the demo weapons or just your own?

17. Rapidz

Rapidz

In the demo i can't pick up weapons?
    also, i'm new at the Unity engine, so how do i add/set this up?

18. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

You probably need to set up the inputs. Look at the 'Initial Setup" at http://www.dastardlybanana.com/FPSConstructorWeapons.htm, under 'Tutorials'. There are also video tutorials there on how to set up weapons and such,

19. coin-god

coin-god

Hey Jason. The other day I was looking at some Red Orchesta gameplay videos, from the upcomming new game Heroes of Stalingrad. And I saw a nice thing you could add to your package.

Maybe its a rather useless feature, but adds realism.

When ever the player is close to a wall or something that blocks him, he moves the weapon down. Because it has actual colision.

You can see that in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONG4PKMDfws
    At 2:50

There is no need to add actual colision (exept if you really want the gun to collide with things like in the video.. but its not that important), cheking if we have a wall or something with colision in front of us should do the trick, and if we do and its really close... move the weapon down.

I think its a pretty nice thing, and could be added in future releases.

Keep watching the video it has some cool stuff, theres a cover system too. But looks complicated, and its not really important for this package.

20. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@coin-god I actually saw that in Call of Juarez and liked it, too. I'd been thinking about adding it, but the amount of time it would probably take compared to how much it would add means it won't get added unless all the more major features are complete.

21. Rapidz

Rapidz

Well is this pre-made so i just can drag it into my game or do i need to add every single thing? also the weapon table dont work, you cant take up guns.

22. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

23. mikevanman

mikevanman

just wondering / request

what about a simple ammo pick up as well (could just be universal to fill up ammo of what ever gun you have)

would this be hard to code ?

keep up the effort

24. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

It won't be hard. I'm absolutely swamped at the moment but I'll make a prefab and include it in the download soon.

25. Rapidz

Rapidz

The videos won't run for me, also theres no "pickup" in project settings>input. Also theres a bug, when you keep shooting when the gun is reloading the gun model will go longer out then the camera, making it look stupid. :/

26. davew175

davew175

The setup instructions explain that you need to add pickup input. As for the videos did you try right clicking and saving the file before running. It may be that your browser isn't setup for the video file type. We haven't heard of other people not being able to view the tutorials.

27. Rapidz

Rapidz

Sorry for all the questions, but can you please make a tutorial for the inputs. :oops:

28. Epic

Epic

Use firefox to watch the videos

29. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Go to edit ---> project setting ---> input. The go to 'size' and make it bigger. Once you do that a new input will appear at the bottom of the list, just change it's name and positive button to match what it says in the initial setup instructions.

And don't worry about asking too many questions, once I put up a package like this it's my job to answer peoples questions :).

30. Rapidz

Rapidz

Haha, thanks alot mate.

31. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Jason

This probably wont be much use to my project, but I have a few things I wanted to say.

Firstly, AWESOME WORK! Can tell this was put together by someone who enjoyed themselves. Secondly, offering this to the community for free rather than thinking just about the money-grabbing. If I were to make use of it, I will more than likely donate to you because of that.

Well done!

32. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@ oblivionfeet

Thanks! I'm glad you like it :).

It's actually been a really good experience working on this; You learn a lot trying to make something that anyone can use, and it's really cool seeing people download and use it.

33. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

I can imagine, if I ever make something useful to others I'd be happy to make it available (for free) too.

I'm currently trying to find an excuse to use your scripts in my project now. :p

34. Rapidz

Rapidz

:oops: How do i make hills/mountains? i only know how to do it with a terrain :oops:

35. coin-god

coin-god

And what does it have to do with the FPS Kit?

36. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Let me rephrase: It's my job to answer questions about the weapons package, or maybe things in the demo scene for it. There are much better places to ask general Unity questions (www.answers.unity3d.com), since this thread is about a specific package.

37. Rapidz

Rapidz

Well i know, but im new here and im really confused about where to post atm, hope i'll get used to it :).
    -OffTopic-
    But please answer if you mind, do i need to add a terain instead of the cube to make mountains/tree's ETC.

38. Peter K.

Peter K.

I have a problem with the pick up weapon script
    it wont let me pick up any weapon :( I press "Tab" and it doesnt work how do i fix it?

39. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Does an error show up? Also, did you follow the initial setup instructions and define the right inputs?

initial setup link : http://www.dastardlybanana.com/SetupPopup.html

40. coin-god

coin-god

Hey Jason, are you gonna add support for Unity 3 in the next update?

Because when I upgraded my project I got some bugs with the Kit.

41. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

We'll be testing the package thoroughly in Unity 3, and we'll release a update to make it fully compatible as soon as possible.

42. coin-god

coin-god

Sounds great Jason. I fixed one of the bugs, the box colider of the Player interfieres with his movement. I just made a bit smaller and now it moves fine. But when it jumps it still shakes a bit.

Can't remember any other bug so far.

43. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

After some testing I've uploaded an updated version. The only apparent issue was the box collider, so I got rid of it (It wasn't even necessary to begin with; I'm not sure how it lasted this long without being cut). I'll keep doing some tests but it seems like the package is now fully Unity 3 compatible...

I'm actually pretty surprised that there's only been one issue in the transition to 3 (which was already a bug in 2.6, it turns out). It definitely didn't work this smoothly in the Beta.

44. Roundhouse

Roundhouse

Do you have a link where we can download this update?

45. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

It's just a new version of the package, so just go to the FPS Constructor page and re-download the package.

As with all of the previous updates applying this update will reset any changes you have made to weapons package scripts, so be sure to back up any o the scripts that you may have changed

46. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

not bad! Suggest you to actually put videos to youtube, you will be more popular than tornado twins :)

47. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Nikolay Thanks! We're actually looking into putting them on Youtube, we just need to make sure that you can still make out the text and stuff.

Also on a small side note, we're fast approaching 1,000 unique downloads of the 0.95 version of the package (Just since we started recording the downloads in august)! :)

48. GrimWare

GrimWare

When will you have the enemy AI download available on your site?

BTW congrats on 1000 downloads!

49. coin-god

coin-god

Felt like showing a few screenshots from my game:

The rifle is a Gewehr 1898. Modeled, textured and animated by me. Other guns are still WIP.

Characters and map also made by me. (Except the Soldier Head, its just for testing)

I used to have a hud, but removed it because I had to constantly edit it when you made Updates :p
    Ill put it back soon.

50. grfxman

grfxman

None of the models load from this package on windows. :( it's asking for cheetah to be installed.