Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dastardly Banana -(Free) FPS Weapons Package UPDATE- 0.95

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jason_DB, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Does it just give an error, or are there models actually missing from the scene? Even if you don't have cheetah they should still work in Unity. As far as making them load-able in modeling programs in windows I'm planning on exporting them into a more windows-friendly format, although various issues are making that harder than it should be.

Also @coin-god that looks really good!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. grfxman

grfxman

There actually missing from the scene and the project. The mesh nodes are non-existent after the error I posted above.

3. grfxman

grfxman

The problem seems to be that I am using Unity 2.61 still. It opens on my version 3 and shows some of the meshes.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. abkarch

abkarch

this is awesome. Dastardly Banana Producions is easily getting credit in my game.

5. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Using Unity 2.6 shouldn't cause that issue. There was only one change to make the package 3.0 compatible and it doesn't affect the 3d assets in any way. Which models don't appear?

6. MrRudak

MrRudak

Wow so cool thanks !
    ill download it right now

7. grfxman

grfxman

There are No meshes at all when I import into Unity 2.61. Not even the targets show up in the demo scene. In 3.0 the rocket launcher and several rifles are missing.

8. grfxman

grfxman

This may be a .fbx version issue actually. I've noticed issues with FBX 2011 and Unity 2.61. I just redownloaded the package in hopes that is was a corrupt download, but no dice.

Still tells me Unity Windows can't accept .jas meshes.

9. xomg

xomg

Some nice code here, and clearly a lot of effort has gone into the system. Nice work.

Obviously the included weapons are just examples, but holy crap... swapping weapons increases the triangle count by over 100k in some cases.

10. Darkhazard

Darkhazard

@grfxman

Are you Importing the package into your scene? Or are you importing the assets seperately?

11. MrSmive

MrSmive

tiss a pretty sweet set up mate, though having a few issues with the sprint function not working right, tried downloading the version from your website, reimporting all the assets ect, but still no luck. Sprint works fine in the demo and tut scenes though so its rather odd that it doesn't in a new scene. Also the box collider on the player is still there, read a few posts up that you had removed it, could this be causing this issue?

great job again mate!

12. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

What exactly happens with the sprint? If it works in the demo scene but not in a ne scene then that probably means that something just isn't set up right.

For the box collider - when did you download the package? The player prefab updated about a week ago had the box collider removed, so if you already had a player in the scene with the prefab broken the box collider would stay.

@xomg are you sure about the tris increase? The highest triangle count in the demo scene is the BR with 32.7k.

13. MrSmive

MrSmive

Downloaded it here yesterday and again from your sight today, everything works with the sprint except for the actual movement, i can't seem to change the walk speed either, the crouch speed does change but for some reason is faster than the walk speed when played.

More than likely i set something up wrong lolz, i did however manage to get the grenades to bounce/roll nicely by adding a modified bouncy physics material to the grenade and by modifying the grenade script to only detonate after the time it behaved like a real grenade. Had to duplicate the original to keep the rocket working though. Would be nice to add some random rotation to the grenade after thrown so as it doesn't look like its shot out your hand, also remove the pin and lever after thrown.

14. Darkhazard

Darkhazard

@MrSmive, If the box collider is still there on the FPS controller, delete it. You will be able to sprint just fine.

15. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@MrSmive :This is right. The scripts should already be modified to work without the box collider. The walking problem is actually caused by the box collider, so taking it off should fix that.

Also the rotating grenade is a good idea. It could probably just be done by adding some rotational force when it's thrown.

16. xomg

xomg

I only tried it briefly in an existing scene, perhaps it was being multiplied for some reason due to whatever else I had going on in that test project. Either way, 30k polygons for a weapon in a game is still pretty crazy. Doesn't really matter as it's just a demo (and they're nice models), but in general an entire character in a modern game would be somewhere around 8-15k polygons, so 30k for a first-person weapon does seem a bit high to me, unless I'm just out of touch. You could probably delete (or at least simplify) the bottom half of the models, too, as they'll never be visible from first-person view.

17. coin-god

coin-god

My weapons are no more than 9000 polygons. 30k is crazy heh.

18. claybornp

claybornp

This may be a completely nobody question and I don't want to sound ignorant, but playing the demo before runtime, the sword is the only visible weapon that he holds, while the button 2 activates the second weapon. My question is where is this weapon stored? how is it accessed?

19. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

All of the player's weapons are stored in an array in the PlayerWeapons script, and are turned on and of as they are switched to.

20. zerkz

zerkz

I too am using Unity 2.61 (due to the fact that A* pathfinding by Aron Granberg isn't compatible with Unity 3.0 yet)... and I'm getting the issue in which the weapon models do NOT import correctly, as well as just about all other prefabs.

21. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Could you be more specific about the problem? We're getting set up to test with 2.6, but any specifics about what's happening would help a lot. Does the demo scene function (without graphics)?

We'll take a closer look, though. At worst, we'll upload the 2.6 version of the 0.95 version of the package.

22. Knight12ify

Knight12ify

The models don't work on Windows? Can you guys please make sure that the models work on windows. Please? Windows XP.

23. xomg

xomg

Yes it does, get the 2.8 beta version and it works perfectly in Unity 3. In fact, I think the previous version does as well. You just need to comment out a line or two due to errors.

24. davew175

davew175

@Knight12ify - We do test on windows and the models work fine. There is an error message when importing the .jas files but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Can you email more details about your problem, including the version of Unity you are using?
    As noted above we'll be retesting on Unity 2.6 to make sure that the Unity 3 update hasn't broken anything.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  25. xenoblackinc

xenoblackinc

can i use this on my third person model for switching wepons and what not?

26. Darkhazard

Darkhazard

@ Xenoblackinc

I personally have used it on a third person model and got it working flawlessly, there are a few things you might need to tweak though mainly involving aiming.

27. reaper2259

reaper2259

hi dastardly banana i have just got a question

does the gun models or what not have to be one mesh or can they be split up into multiple objects

and also id like to just request some features
    1. a pick up ammo script
    2. a feature when we can choose how many gun the player can hold like fore example if we want 4 gun instead of 10 there should be a way to limit it to 4 weapons your allowed to hold
    3. i no there is a feature for switching weapons with other weapons if you have 10 already but i think there should be a feature where you can tick if a weapon can be switched out or not so just say if you make a player start with fists you should not be able to change those fists out with a weapon.

now i no i am in no position to demand feature seeing as how you guys are doing this in your free time but i thought i would just suggest some useful features for future updates.

28. Jay_Adams

Jay_Adams

Had 2 issues with demo.

1- tab doesn't work to pickup weapons.
    2-second time I tried I couldn't get mouse to leave player and had to ctrl-alt-deelte out.
    --------
    But it looks pretty cool and thanks for making it free.

29. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Reaper

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll definitely look into numbers 1 and 3 for the next update. Suggestion 2 is already possible, though, just select the weapon camera and change the size of the weapons array on playerweapons.

@Jay_Adams is this on the web demo, or in the demo scene? I've had similar problems Unity webplayers in general (I have no Idea why, but sometimes the GUI doesn't show up and I can't escape out).

30. Jay_Adams

Jay_Adams

web player/

I just tried to import the project though and get alot of null exceptions due to Cheeta3d assests/windows.

31. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

well the cheetah stuff shouldn't cause any actual problems (assuming that you can see the models in-game).

32. Knight12ify

Knight12ify

Okay, uh. When you do is this forum going to be updated or is there going to be an uh I don't know post on the DB Website. I posted this post like Peter Griffin, meh,hehehehe.

Okay enough of that. This should be updated when it is.

EDIT:

Suggestions:

1) A script that makes the player climb and swim.

2) To make sure that the scripts work well on enemies your own NPC AI Script.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  33. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

I'm happy to announce that the Weapons Pack just broke 2,000 unique downloaders since July! We're hoping to get it to 1.0 and onto the asset store soon, in addition to a related surprise we're working on.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  34. coin-god

coin-god

You know I can't wait for anything you do for this package.

One simple thing noone mentioned, you have to add light when the weapons fire! :p

35. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@coin-god I've actually been playing around with that, and I think that an improved muzzle flash with light could add a lot despite being a small change/

36. Rapidz

Rapidz

Where are the asset store o_O

37. mikesgames

mikesgames

The asset store is available in the latest version of Unity, version 3.1

You'll have to get that to have access to the asset store :)

38. MrSmive

MrSmive

working on a rifle you might like DB, tiss a Stonner Sr25, and has 5 rails, i read a while back that you added customizable mods to this script and was wondering if when i get done making this rifle and its mods you could give me a hand setting up some camera scopes, rather than full screen zooming, laser sights ect. Will probably be awhile till its ready, tring a new way of making rails for the lowpoly that should work better, but ill gladly give you a copy of the rifle/mods when done for your own stuff mate.
    Theirs a P226 on here somewhere you could use, you can find it either in the Merry Christmas from Unity to... or the Tis the season for eggnog.... seem to remember the last version of this script i used had no pistol.

Anywho thanks for the scripts there pretty darn awesome, will give um a try once i got something worth setting them too lol

39. coin-god

coin-god

Realistic aiming with a camera rendering in the Scope would be quite a feature. I would even do it once this package is finished (if it isnt done first)

40. kvo189

kvo189

Amazing package but when i keep pressing shift it looks not really cool.

41. Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Mackey@ehsiplus.com

Hello... i am trying to use my own guns animated in maya with sounds for each each animation clip... like sounds for Fire, reload, takeout etc...

Anyways... i do use my won art.... I doen see any tutorials about using your own art... just the Prefabs you have for M16 and so on....

Please Help!

42. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

All you need to do is delete the M-16 model (under the 'aimobject') and drag in you own model. Then put a script called 'gunchildanimation' on your gun model, and change the names of the animations in the script to match yours. You'll also probably have to change the aim, hip, and sprint positions in the aimobject. I think that the first or second tutorial should cover it. For sounds, there is unfortunately only support for one sound in the package, but I'll try to throw together a workaround in the near future.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  43. TrevorLeeC

TrevorLeeC

how did you put the demo on the site?

44. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Which demo? The FPS Constructor one is just a web-player built in Unity.

45. Sicklilmonky

Sicklilmonky

That's Awesome Dastardly Bannana, I've only looked at the demo but hopefully it might help with my problems with trying to add my grenade Launcher from the Unity FPS tutorial to my GUI in tutorial 3 that I tweaked... and probably busted lol... mmmm yeah, code not my strong point :)

If I can get my game working and actually sell it I'ma goona semd you a big donation for all that hard work, you deserve it!! :D

46. gabbaii

gabbaii

thanks very much for assets guys.

any chance for a c# conversion?

47. Mauri

Mauri

When i go to on the You can download it for free here-link, my antivirus is alarming.

48. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Well, if the link goes to or is on dastardlybanana.com then I can tell you it won't give you viruses :D. Could it just be that your antivirus software thinks unity packages are suspicious?

49. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Bumped to request feature suggestions, show progress on version 1.0 (also see video).

50. Knight12ify

Knight12ify

Like I said before, have the player be able to swim and climb.