Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DAZ 3D Models in Unity

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dazpro, Mar 26, 2010.

1. atalanta

atalanta

Thanks for your post. Yes please post the workflow and screenshots of your settings. I've tried most of everything you are explaining. This is why I'm asking for screenshots of your settings. You know: Step 1, Step 2 etc.

I've filed bug after bug. Please post the versions of DAZ and Plug-ins you are using.

DAZ FOR DUMMYS. IF YOU GOT IT TO WORK POST YOUR STEPS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER WITH SCREENSHOTS OF YOUR SETTINGS AND FINAL OUTPUT. not yelling, just emphasis.

I have got a few models into Unity. It just doesn't happen 99% of the last two months. And I'm talking about working on a solution that is consistent for over a couple of months DAILY. I've watched tons of videos, gone through the User Guides DOWN TO THE EARLIEST VERSIONS. The Game Developers Forum on DAZ is full of the same complaints.

Please post your step by step with screenshots for us to try before you tell me I'm "wrong".

I love the models. It's the DAZ software that is failing. So don't preach to me about Indies and I don't know what I'm talking about. Just post a solution that everyone can follow like a step by step dummy proof manual.

As far as I can tell Victoria is the only model DAZ has working with this system. That's why DAZ keeps demoing her saying "look we can do games too". None of the other models successfully and consistently work. Carrara's FBX also is no help because the morphs keep falling off.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. atalanta

atalanta

3. drewradley

drewradley

I am using D/S 3.1.2.24, FBX exporter 2.0.6.23, decimator 1.1.2.40 and texture atlas 1.0.1.7. I set the figures all up in Poser 7 (or pro depending on which computer I am using) and do all my animations in there as well ans save them as poses. Then I import the Poser file into D/S and delete all the lights and cameras and anything else I don't want and hide all the body parts that cannot be seen (sometimes I do this in poser - seems to make no difference) then I decimate it piece by piece as small as I can without noticeably deforming the mesh. which happens if you try to decimate too far. Then I use texture atlas to make the single texture for it and use this to create my own bump maps if I so choose. I save the D/S file and export a T posed figure and check it in unity and make sure it looks the way I want it to. Then I apply my poses one at a time and export them individually using name@animationName. Then I check to make sure the animations work on the T posed figure. Finally, once I have all the animations I want done, I make a copy of them inside unity and set my T posed figure up to use those copies so I can delete all the name@animationName files.

As for the settings, I just use the default settings on the exporter and make my textures all 2048x2048 or better and make them smaller in photoshop if I want them smaller. I usually decimate my meshes down to 25k for the figure and another 10k or so for the clothes, props, etc. I also am using the M3/V3 reduced resolution figures which are already 43K.

Incidentally, n321, you cannot use the free models in a game that you plan to share. It violates their EULA. You have to buy a developer's license. Even if you decimate and texture atlas them you still are not allowed to redistribute the mesh in any way, including as game models. The developer's license has a one time use and unlimited use agreements and costs. I bought the 3d starter pack for $75 which includes: 2 reduced resolution, "normal" people with lots of morphs, 2 stylized people, 2 cartoon kids, a dog, a cat, a gorilla, a dragon and a few other props and clothes and hair. The $75 is for unlimited use so I can use them in any game I want.

4. U2

U2

Thank you very much n321 for taking the time to post those videos. I do have a couple of questions though I hope you can answer. As far as clothing options go and you mention having them all embedded in the character. My concern is that we are going to quickly bump up against the Unity3d poly count importation limits. Or has this gone away?

Also, could you explain a little more about your hair. I noticed that it looks like an imported object in daz that you attached to V4's skeleton under the head node. Did you first export it then re-import it and place it? Also, you say it needed to be snapped to the model, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that. Do you mean the fit to command or parenting?

There are some threads in the forum about combining meshes and animations etc.. I am wondering if this is the right path towards combing various clothing options within Unity vs. Exporting them all at once from daz. Then my question is how does one export the clothing options only from daz.

Also, Is it possible to say drag one clothing item from one character in Unity to another? If so then maybe we can just create clothing prefabs, drag the sub items from unity onto the prefabs after export then delete them from the model. Then add and parent on the fly as needed? My gut tells me it's not that easy but it's worth a shot.

Oh an finally have you tried Mixamo animations / preview with this export flow? I can often get from daz -> Unity but then Mixamo complains there is no skinned mesh on the imported model >.<

5. atalanta

atalanta

Drew,
    Thanks for your detailed response. You just made my point. DAZ is selling DAZ Studio and the Game Developer Kit as a complete solution. I expect to get what I pay especially since DAZ is touting it's wares directly to the game devs.

You are using Poser and doing a lot of work there.

If you go to the http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/62818-DAZ-3D-is-putting-together-a-contest
    DAZPRO Says: "tatoforever - you are looking at an artist's rendering who was trying to create an interesting image. While the image may be captivating, the objective of the decimation (in the example image) was not to optimize the model for games. You will notice that hardly any effort was made to reduce the polys in the hair or belt.
    Nonetheless, the tool includes a weighting system that provides for very granular decimation - on a surface by surface basis - So that you can allocate 2 or 3 times as many polys to the face as to the torso, legs, etc. By using the relative weighting system you are able to very judiciously allocate your poly budget.
    Thanks for the input on the image though. It was intended to look cool - not necessarily to show off the full capabilities of the tool. Maybe DAZ 3D should re-think that. "

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=155669&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

6. drewradley

drewradley

I am doing minimal work in Poser and what I am doing has no effect at all on the game developer's tools. I dress them and edit the motion capture in poser. I could just as easily dress them in D/S (and have done so for some I've exported) and I apply the animations in D/S. I just think the graph editor in Poser is the perfect tool for editing BVH motion captures and I often work in public places so I don't like to work with "naked" models so I dress them first. Again NONE of this has any impact whatsoever on the game developer's tools.

7. atalanta

atalanta

Thank you Drew.
    I don't use the Victoria models. I use the 3dUniverse models. Which are you using? I'll test your method and get back to you with my results.

I'm running:
    DAZ Studio Advanced 3.1.2.32 starting
    Running on Windows 7, Build 7601, Service Pack 1
    Plugin: FBX Exporter Version:2.0.6.23 DAZ Decimator Version:1.1.2.55 Plugin:Texture Atlas Version:1.0.1.7

8. drewradley

drewradley

I'm using the models that come with this pack: http://developer.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=2635
    Bought the unlimited use license for $75 and has several figures (including a dragon!). I also use the Project Human/Sixus models from ShareCG which are open source and usable in games. This includes an Orc and lots of clothes and accessories for him, a goblin with not as many accessories, a "smegal" type character (pre-gollum lord of the rings) and several humans (and others I don't recall all of right now). Just search for Unrestricted use items on ShareCG.

9. afalk

afalk

I am happy to say that in all honesty I haven't had any trouble with V4 based characters. I didn't manage to get the Girl4 test character to export, but everything else has been spot on. I have most of Sixus' models (love hsi work!) and I'll have to give them a whirl as well plus I'll see if I can get any 3DU characters to work in the export chain.

lastly -- thanks for the cross-post on my vids, I hope they were at least some help.

AF

10. drewradley

drewradley

One thing about the orc to keep in mind: some of the clothing have props attached that get lost in translation, unless you parent them to the orc itself. Specifically, I'm talking about the armor which has three "plates" which are parented to the armor figure. For some reason, they don't convert unless they are a child of the main figure.

11. afalk

afalk

Thanks for the tip Drew -- I'll keep that in mind when I pull those models out and test them :D

@Atalanta :: here's the test I promised using 3DU assets. I grabbed Sadie, decimated her (after setting the weights higher on her eyes/mouth and face) and her little suit, then I texture atlased her (just diffuse textures used for the test) and added a quick Animate+ dance animation. I exported her as an FBX file and dropped her into my Character Setup mod in Unity.

Here's a quick vid capture Playing inside the Editor.

12. atalanta

atalanta

afalk! That is soooo cute! Thank you! That put a smile on my face.
    So here's the questions:
    What steps?
    What settings?
    How many polygons did you end up with?
    What versions of the software are you using?
    What system are your running?

By the way, Sade worked for me many times before the January-February 2011 updates. I've even surprised myself and got her to work lately. Then with the exact same settings DAZ crashes or the outputs look like transporter accidents. Toon Generations looks like transporter accidents over and over. Yet last night it suddenly worked. ONCE! Then it DAZ crashed again and it wouldn't. I screenshot my settings and procedures every time to make sure I understand what is being tested and changed. I've become quite adept at morphing in Carrara because of the number of times I've rebuilt my models.

So what I'm trying to arrive at is what are the versions of the software that are actually working so I can roll back to it. DAZ is no help. They just sent me an email telling me to "stop spamming their forum" while trying to find an answer to this. What about all the log files and bug reports I filed.

I'm happy the people on this forum are helping because DAZ sure isn't. Thank you so much for your test! :)

13. drewradley

drewradley

atalanta, have you considered the problem may be, in part, on your end and has nothing to do with DAZ products? If it's crashing on you frequently but works sometimes that sounds to me like a problem with your computer or your installations. Have you unistalled studio and the game tools and tried to start over fresh?

I'm not saying that is what the problem is, just suggesting looking into that, if you haven't already. You keep mentioning that it worked for you up to January-February and they updates screwed it up, however, I bought the tools on Jan 30 and they work fine.

14. atalanta

atalanta

15. drewradley

drewradley

I do have it on auto update but to be honest, the only thing I ever use it for is to use the game tools. I have no problems on two different computers with two different versions of windows. When I get home tonight I'll make a simple "game" with some of the DAZ stuff I've converted. BTW, I'm more than happy to share the open source models I've converted if you want. I've set them up to work with ORK (the rpg kit) so they have about 15 animations on them.

16. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Oh yes yes, shake that booty, shake it more.

17. afalk

afalk

My software versions (on x64 PC - Vista) are:

DS3A 3.1.1.73

Texture Atlas 1.0.1.7
    Decimator 1.1.2.55
    FBX Exporter 2.0.7.73

As for the LOD settings ::

Sadie Sally Hair : 9823
    Swimsuit : 700

AF

18. atalanta

atalanta

Ok so our goal is to develop a contextual based workflow so that we can complete our projects fast and without tears. Using DAZ products and maybe some other vendor's products to get the job done. Obviously we have a few people here who have run the gauntlet.

Step by Step with settings. Screenshots of settings are very helpful.

1. How do I use and existing model, reduce the polys and export out to a working FBX for use in Unity?

(By the way...think about this...this isn't trivial...it isn't just oh drag the model, drag the clothes, click the decimator tab etc.. Afalk, said she "weighted Sadie's face". I would love to see a screenshot of her weight settings in the decimator and in what order. This is very important as the decimator just seems to not allow me to cut the polys enough, while preserving the face.)

2. How do I do the above and add animations?
    3. How do I do the above and modify the existing content (clothes, faces etc)?

Please post here so we all have one Guide to reference. DAZ has a hard time doing this. So lets do it for ourselves.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/82...mmys-fbx-fails-over-and-over?highlight=dummys

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  19. CWM

CWM

Wow! Fantastic! :)

20. afalk

afalk

Okay -- firstly -- I am a he :)

As for the settings -- they were standard.
    As for the weight maps : the interface will show a 1.0 weight assigned to each texture (and its underlying mesh). I simply cranked up the weight settings to 1.5 for the FACE, LIPS, and EYES (all parts). After that, I went back to the main decimator tab. Selecting the mesh in Daz studio I snapped the camera to it and dragged the slider down, watchin/spinning the model until i reached an acceptable compromise between poly count and appearance. When satisfied I click the "Create LOD". Then I repeat teh process w/each item of clothing.

When I export the figure I disable camera and lights and export everything else. I never copy texture copies but ALWAYS tick the "include texture definitions", I export in standard 2010 binary.

That's about it. You can also refer to my Daz to Unity worflow thread here on the forums.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/80134-Workflow-Daz-to-Unity-by-way-of-Ultimate-Unwrap

Good luck!

Tony

21. atalanta

atalanta

22. drewradley

drewradley

Here is a sample "game" with Sixus Orc and Michael 3 reduced resolution (and some armor) I used the DAZ game tools to get into unity:
    http://www.box.net/shared/lhtjmzxtnt

There is nothing really but walk around and near the tree in the middle of the road, you will encounter an orc which triggers a battle. As you'll see once you play it, I used the Okashi RPG Kit to make it. I've made my own formulas, etc and not all of them are done. In fact, I can only promise "Attack" is the only thing that won't suck your computer into another dimension.

edit: and since Unity can do this easily enough, here is a Mac version: http://www.box.net/shared/ifjer5ka0o

It should work but was only tested on one mac book.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  23. bigjhnny

bigjhnny

Hey Guys,

I just learnt (the hard way) that daz models do not have faces rigged (no bones). Any facial animations seen in daz aren't exported... This would mean that you can't have realistic blinking or moving the eyes to "look" unless well... you rig it.

Anybody have any experience in a good approach to overcome this? I'm thinking about biting the bullet and finding a way to rig the character in Max.

I really do need eye/facial movement in my game.

John

24. Demostenes

Demostenes

You are able to download demo, or buy ultimate unwrap? If i try dowload, it shows me error, buy shows me blank page.

25. fafabone

fafabone

Do yuo find an opensource or shareware tool to unwrap fbx models? I'm very newbie in the 3d modelling world and I would practice with somehow free. I need exactly the workflow explained from Afalk, but I need to try the workflow before pay.
    Thank you

26. jazzharris

jazzharris

Hopefully, someone can help me here. I have worked with Poser 8 and Daz Studio 3 for three weeks tying to port an animation of a galloping horse into Unity. After watching the three videos, “Workflow - Daz to Unity by way of Ultimate Unwrap” and buying the DAZ Game Developer Kit, I now have a galloping horse, but the saddle and bridle don’t move in the sequence. They move in Poser and Daz, just not Unity. I know Unity but I am really lost in Poser and Daz. What have I done wrong?

I would appreciate any quick hints as I only have a week left on the Poser trial before I have to decide if I should fork out the money for the retail version.

27. drewradley

drewradley

It depends on how the saddle is animated. If it is morphs, then it won't animate at all in Unity. If it's boned it should animate just fine. I guess it's possible that even boned animations of children objects to carry over. You can try to animate the saddle all on it's own and see if that works in Unity. What saddle are you using? If I have it, I'll look and see if it uses morphs or bones to animate.

28. makan

makan

I tried Daz3D no offense but it's for beginners imo i prefer the old way of using max rigging...

29. jazzharris

jazzharris

Thanks for the reply. It was the Western Horse Tack for the Millennium Horse. I used both the saddle and the bridle. At this point I am too new to Poser/Daz to know morphs vs boned. I just plugged them in and they worked from Poser, through Daz until I got to Unity.

30. drewradley

drewradley

Well after reading the description of the product, I think it uses morphs but I don't know for certain and that's not one I own. My suggestion is to try the saddle on it's own with an animation and see if that works. If it does then it's boned if not it's morphed. You can also select the saddle and click on the "Setup" tab inside Poser and it will show you any bones it may have.

If the saddle animations work in Unity with no horse, then it seems to me that only the animations of the main figure export. If that's the case then you can always make the saddle a separate export and join the two in Unity with the animations. Not sure the logistics of this or how one would sync up the animations but I imagine it could be done.

As a side note, that product doesn't allow game use, even with the developer's license. You can only use any that have "Vendor: DAZ3D" in games (and with the license). Of course that doesn't preclude you from messing around with it. Just from sharing it.

@makan: it may be for "beginners" but it's also for people who don't have thousands of dollars to spend on Max or the time to create hundreds of figures - which I have neither.

31. makan

makan

@drewradley True but we have Blender which it's free and it's really powerful Application...

32. drewradley

drewradley

True. You don't even need Unity if you're good enough with Blender as it has a game engine built in. But it's pain to learn and still doesn't eliminate the time required to make hundreds of figures.

33. jazzharris

jazzharris

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm not using it for games or any profit. I'm connected with a non-profit, community chorus and I do the "special effects" for their annual show. I'm comfortable with Unity (I teach it to my middle school tech classes), but the chorus wants running cows and skeletons on horseback while they sing, "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and I'm out of my element with creating animals. Poser seemed the quickest and cheapest way to get it done. I will buy Poser if it works, otherwise I will just let the trial version go.

Anyone have an idea how to edit an imported animation in Unity? It does not seem to show up in Unity's animation editor. I think it will be necessary if I have to import the horse and saddle animations separately.

34. jazzharris

jazzharris

I worked with Blender for a while; steep learning curve. Every time I go back into it I have to start learning it all over again.

35. jazzharris

jazzharris

OK, I went through Poser-Daz-Unity with the saddle. It animated until Unity; same as before. This indicates morph? Now what? I need to animate a horse complete with saddle and bridle, being ridden by a caped, skeleton wearing a cowboy hat. Do I handle things differently or choose the proper items? And if I choose the proper items, how do I choose? I have not seen morph vs bones often in the ads.

36. dr.steam

dr.steam

I think you need wash'n'go.

37. MarkGX

MarkGX

38. cynel

cynel

i think the only way around this copyright thing is to make original models in hexagon and rig it in daz

39. goat

goat

You can buy a license for every DAZ original model for $500 to use in games. Then you purchase the desired DAZ asset at the regular DAZ Store price. That is you can then use those DAZ Original products in games, images, and movies but not use the DAZ Original products for resale as assets in the Unity Asset Store or similar places. Also, you can't purchase an item from the DAZ Store from an independent broker and use that content in your game(s). Even if that asset is just a texture add-on or other type add-on to a DAZ Original product.

You should note that DAZ Studio 4.5 will have FBX roundtripping. Also that most DAZ content is too high a polygon count to use in games without serious optimization work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  40. cynel

cynel

thats why my ways is faster and cheaper just make your own models

41. drewradley

drewradley

Cheaper. Yes. Faster? No. Have you ever modeled, textured and rigged a figure before? you're talking days if not weeks. Months if you want to achieve the quality of a DAZ figure. It takes no more than an hour to get a figure from DAZ to Unity. That's including texture atlas, decimation and other optimizations.

42. cynel

cynel

well there has to be some way to make models in daz that wont violate copyright

43. drewradley

drewradley

You certainly can make models using DAZ software (not the main one called "Studio" as that is not for model creation but for posing figures) and anything you make, from scratch, is yours to do with as you please. I didn't say it couldn't be done. Just that it takes time.

Now if you mean "use DAZ models" not "make" then there is no way you can use them in a 3d game without the license. You can, however, use all the 2d rendered images you want, i.e. sprites.

44. cynel

cynel

well the idea is that i create a generic model to witch i can morph into the Characters i need for my game

45. drewradley

drewradley

Sounds like you have quite a lot of work a head of you! DAZ has a version of certain figures that's called "Blank" which has no morphs and the skeleton can be used to create other models that you can share. I suggest you get one of those blank models and use them as a guide to build your models then you can simply load the new mesh in DAZ Studio 4 and use the figure transfer tools to automatically add the rig. Saves you a bit of work. I use M4 Blank for this myself.

46. cynel

cynel

where do i find these blanks

47. drewradley

drewradley

48. cynel

cynel

49. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If any Daz users would like to make use of the morphs in their characters in Unity then you may be interested in MegaFiers which although does not have a custom exporter currently for Daz still allows you to import the morph data via Max, Maya or Blender which do have MegaFier exporters. I did a quick video to show the process.

50. drewradley

drewradley

Hey thanks for the tutorial! Been wondering if I could make lipsync animations in Unity...