Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DAZ 3D Models in Unity

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dazpro, Mar 26, 2010.

1. dazpro

dazpro

Many of you may have seen DAZ 3D at the Unity booth during GDC. DAZ 3D announced that a new EULA for their 3D Models was available at a new webstore dedicated to game developers.
    http://developer.daz3d.com

Here is a short video clip of a DAZ 3D model with animations in the Unity Demo Island scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcO5IINHi8

2. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Very cool... I always like browsing the daz 3d models but never bought any because I didn't think I could use them.

I especially like many of the scenes/props because there is a lot of nice detailed buildings with interiors, like the sci-fi hangars and stuff.

Could I just make a developer account now, buy something like a sci-fi building from the scenes and props category, that includes a .OBJ and import it right into Unity? Or is there more prep work involved than that?

Also, the whole daz studio character models and animations always seemed pretty daunting to me. Will there be any tutorials from scratch for buying a model, setting up the animations and importing it directly into Unity?

3. dazpro

dazpro

Yes... you definitely could do that. Depending on the object poly count could be an issue. (see discussion on decimator)Otherwise no further prep work is required on props.

It's really not that hard but DAZ is working to make the whole downloading and loading process easier. And yes there will definitely be tutorials but it is a very short list of steps from Character creation in DAZ Studio - export as FBX and import into Unity.

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I tried to log into the Daz developer site and it wouldn't show me anything until I created an account or used my regular Daz account to log in. So I tried to log in using regular Daz account info and it told me I couldn't use that account and had to create a new account. So I tried to create a new account, but then it told me I should use my regular Daz account. WTF? I gave up.

Can you at least change your site so I can at least look at the content and prices without creating a new account? Also, please sort out your user account system. It's totally fubar.

5. runningbird

runningbird

also would be nice to have a few freebies so developers / artist can see how the process will fully work without having to spend $$$ on something that might not be a possiblity.

From what I've seen so far you can decimate a mesh from 200k + down to 18K+ this was only in a video I haven't done it myself yet.

6. dazpro

dazpro

Yeah we are working on it. Sorry... this should be fixed by next week.

You will be able to browse without registering or logging in and you will be able to go back and forth to the forums etc without having to re-login.

7. dazpro

dazpro

Once we have time we will post s "free" category so that you can do some testing.

As for the decimation we have had good results all the way down to 5 or 6 percent of the original poly count. 10-20 percent still looks fabulous.

8. bradjensen68

bradjensen68

Alright. Looking forward to trying it out. :)

9. runningbird

runningbird

Thanks for the reply hope for the best with this tool cant wait to see what kind of results I get from it.

10. Regularry

Regularry

Well, that didn't happen. Next week perhaps?

11. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Where is this decimation video viewable ?

guys at DAZ you rock. Does that mean that if Steve from 3Duniverse also approves this usage, I could use toon squirrel with lipsync morphs in unity ???

12. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Another question.

At this moment I own maybe 50 or more daz models. Is there any way to upgrade some of these to the new system to be able to use them in unity?

Also, where can this new EULA be seen? I only see that there is different pricing between SINGLE use and MULTIPLE use, but cannot find the right definition of these

Regards,

Bart

13. dazpro

dazpro

Sorry DAZ 3D can't offer that at this time due to the fact that the content was purchased under a different license and not all Published Artists are participating yet.

The Eula is presented during the checkout process. If you put something in your "shopping cart" you will be presented with the eula before you can purchase it.
    Single Use- is intended for a single game title or project (simulation, etc)
    Multiple use- allows the use of the content in an unlimited number of titles or projects. Neither license allows for resale or sale of derivative works. You would have to work with DAZ directly on those kinds of deals.

Regards,

Bart[/quote]

14. dazpro

dazpro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMwLix_uicc

Yes.

15. Uniter

Uniter

I've got problems trying to repeat your steps.

1. There is no FBX export plugin in default DAZ Studio. It have to be bought separately and it costs $99: http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/itemdetails/-/?item=4137 Ok, I've bought it.

2. There are a lot of problems with exporting FBX with this plugin. Can you show exporting process for Victoria model for example?

3. There is no decimation tool at all, neither free nor paid. Where can I get\buy it?

4. Without decimation export result looks very ugly in Unity (look attaches).

5. Can't export pose.

6. Have no idea how to export animation.

7. What happens with her hair?

DazPro, can you help to solve these problems?

Attached Files:

16. dazpro

dazpro

Yes... I think I can help.

You are correct that the FBX exporter is an add-on plug-in. So is the Decimator.

The Decimator is in final beta testing and should be available in a matter of a few weeks.

DAZ is also working on a texture mapping plugin that will allow textures to be combined and scaled.

All of those plugins will be available individually as well as in an affordable Game Developer Kit bundle.

Your model as well as the hair needs to be decimated in order to play well in a game engine. DAZ also has low poly LODs available that are hand modeled in 17k 4k, 2k, and 1k (polys) versions that will give you a good base model to start from in DAZ Studio.

In order to export poses or animations you need to "bake" them to the DAZ Studio Keyframe before you export. And then select the export animations options from the export tab.

What is going on with the eyelashes is that they consist of a transparency map applied to a plane modeled into the face. The transparency map does not get exported or read by the engine. You can either remove them or use one of the LOD versions that doesn't have the eyelashes modeled onto it and just use the face texture with the lashes painted onto it.

17. Rem

Rem

People, I need your help. I have a problem: when I export a model (without any hair and clothes) from DAZ in Unity, everything is all right. But if I try to do this with a model having hair or some clothes, when I play animation clothes or hair move incorrectly. How can I manage the situation? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

18. Uniter

Uniter

1. V3 rediced
    I have a problems with V3 reduced. Seems body of this Victoria is shifted down by 10 sm relative to every staff she should use like hairs, clothes, environment. And have no idea how to move her upper. DazPro, do you know how to do it? Solved.

But what version is really reduced and what don't?
    Victoria 3 reduced total faces 24406
    Victoria 4.2. QuickStart total faces: 16678.

2. LODs
    As far as I understood there have to be LOD files for Victoria V4 with names like: v4_lod_17k.obj, v4_lod_4k.obj, v4_lod_2k.obj and v4_lod_1.5k.obj. But I have no idea where to get it. Google don't know also :)

3. "Bake"
    Can anyone tell me, what exactly means this tasty "bake" process?

19. dazpro

dazpro

20. Uniter

Uniter

I have no LODs in DAZ Studio. Sure I can open edit menu but I have no LOD files at all in any section of DAZ components or DAZ Studio itself.

Some of regular DAZ users haven't it too: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=126832
    I've tried all of the ways show in that thread with no success.

Can you show me the way how I'll get LODs to continue testing? Seems I'm just wasting my time and my money without it.

21. BetterThanLife

BetterThanLife

It is my understanding that the LOD sequence for V4 is no longer included with the distribution of DAZ Studio. (As of DAZ Studio 3.0.1.144 which is the current version.) If you have a copy of DS 2 with content (any version) it is included with that.

22. BetterThanLife

BetterThanLife

This is because the hair is rigged separately from the body, it is a separate figure. Currently the DAZ Studio Collada export keeps them as separate figures, which means that nothing can properly use them because nothing understands conforming figures from a Collada import, to include DAZ Studio.

I have been told they are working on this. In the mean time the Carrara 8 Beta, if you have access, does combine the rigs and gives you a very nice weight mapping for it on both the Collada and FBX exports.

23. dazpro

dazpro

There is a recently added feature to the DAZ Studio COLLADA export called "Merge Skeletons" that would address this issue by collapsing all of the "same named bones" into a single rig.

24. BetterThanLife

BetterThanLife

That feature is not in the current DAZ Studio (3.0.1.144) nor the current Public Beta: (3.1.0.96) so I presume this is the part that I was told is being worked on.

Also like I said the Carrara 8 Beta does this for you now, if you have access (meaning you already own Carrara 7 any version).

25. Uniter

Uniter

Attached Files:

26. epenk3

epenk3

I'm having trouble exporting an animated low poly V4 model. The clothes work fine, but the hair slides on her head. I've tried right-clicking in the animation window to "bake to studio keyframes" before exporting as an .fbx or .dae. Is there a way to merge the "skeleton" of her hair with her head before exporting??

Thanks in advance!

27. spav1789

spav1789

Hey guys, I'm trying to imitate the results of this video though I am relatively new to working with Daz and unity:

For right now I'm just adding Victoria to the character creation, however I don't think I am importing her properly from daz. The main issues I'm running into are: 1. I'm not sure how to properly name the textures so that when I generate materials I don't have to go into the texture folder and rename every file, 2. For certain assets there are multiple textures (the hair in particular), I noticed he doesn't have that in the video, but is it possible to consolidate all of the hair textures into one before I export it from Daz? 3. I am able to generate the character through the asset bundles with various shirts, pants, etc, however the body is not properly being generated so that the only thing that is displayed is the clothing. I noticed in the character creation tutorial their male and female models have files in their .fbx called "Male_Hips" or "Female_Hips" that are included in the hierarchy of the asset bundle generated character, will I need to do something similar for Vicki so that the script knows to generate the appropriate asset bundle with her body mesh? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  28. MarkGX

MarkGX

Firstly guys just want to give you the thumbs up for this thread, there is alot of usual information worth spending time trying out here Cool !!!

Secondly, i've been able to accomplish the DAZ Avatar animated with clothing into Unity using the Game Developer Kit. Please open a thread to discuss this further if anyone having difficulties doing that will greatfully help out. Trust me its not hard that part !!

OK Moving the thread onwards and upwards here are some problems i hoped we could discuss possibly with some useful ways of solving them.

Problem 1 : How to attach seperate items of clothing meshes to an avatar exported from Daz3D using Animate (fbx exported) ?

Observation : If you model an avatar with clothing in Daz3D and Animate it (baked the frames etc) then export it everything works fine. But, if you want to export cloth items seperately into unity, then attach them to the walking animation it dont work. What happens is that the mesh you try to attach simply stay still, whilst the avatar performs its animation sequence.

Problem 2 : Is there a way to adjust meshed clothing which has been exported from Daz3D so that it can adjust to a different
    avatar figure body parameters. Example, lets say you want your avatar legs shorter, but the trousers dont fit anymore. I know in DAZ3D Mesh Deformers/Morphers are used to solve this problem. But for many games this would save a heck of alot of pain to do simply deformations / morphs on basic cloth / prop items?

Problem 3 : Everything seems so stati, can Daz3D hair / clothes be dynamically animated in unity. I know it can be done in DAZ3D but is there a way of exporting these dynamics for hair movement and cloth movement into unity.

I'm aware these are challenging areas, but these three areas of problem would make for serious unity / Daz combo in game development.

MarkGX

29. Kotzu

Kotzu

i'm having problems to export from DAZ to Unity too. I have Michael 4 Complete Bundle. If i export in any format i either get an error or just a blank/gray character in Unity. Why? Can anyone post pls a guide on how to succesfuly export from Daz to Unity and have your character with skin ?

30. Amm

Amm

Try deleting the character AND the materials from your project.
    I choose embed texture in the export options of FBX out of studio.
    import new asset.

31. Kotzu

Kotzu

i'll try, will post later or send u PM, ok?

32. Kotzu

Kotzu

ok, here's some screenshots :p

*in 1st ss are the exporting options for FBX.fbx
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Kotzu/m4-01.jpg

*2nd 3rd ss U can see what i see in Unity (nothing, no model)
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Kotzu/m4-02.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Kotzu/m4-03.jpg

*4th ss are the FBX.obj exporting options, they give me error at exporting
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Kotzu/m4-04.jpg

*5th ss are other exporting options for wavefront.obj and the result is 2% texture of the body
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/Kotzu/m4-05.jpg

pls help :)

33. Kotzu

Kotzu

nobody is helping ? :((

offering Daz Game Dev Kit free to whoever helps me !
    (FBXexporter+Decimator+TextureAtlas), Michael 4 full bundle, Freak 4 full, Hiro 4 full !

34. Antonee

Antonee

this is really cool. i always just assumed unity and daz were incompatible. simply because the of the high polygon count of daz models. this is great news for my project! as a terrain artist and not a character artist this really speeds up development for my one man(me) team. while all of the enviroment and characters will be made from scratch, I may use a a few modified daz models for the main character.

what is a good poly range i should stay within for characters including the player avatar? i'll be working with mostly indoor levels. would 5-14k polygon models be in good range? what about boss characters? where there will be no other characters on screen. could i do 15-20k poly boss characters?

35. aigam

aigam

Kotzu, I have no such problems when exporting... are you following the video tutorial?

Antonee, it depends of the final hardware you want to use for your game. Any medium level card can move A LOT of polygons, and the bottleneck is going to be draw calls and fillrate.
    But in general, 5-14k is a realistic number of polys

36. acmshar

acmshar

What file are you importing into Daz? Specifically what file type?

37. shabazzster

shabazzster

Daz Models are simply the best but as far as the Software...it just don't work!!!

38. MWorks

MWorks

Hi, anybody can help me importing scenes into unity? I can import models, animations (with models) but no just a single scene object, daz just crashes :S thx.!!! P.S.: btw, I'm new to daz!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  39. MarkGX

MarkGX

I've been exporting DAZ Victoria/Clothing/Materials with success.

I use the Digimi Developer Kit for mesh decimation, texture UV combing and reduction with texture atlass, and finally the FBX exporter.

Some basic guidelines i found to alleviate problems

1. Depending on your game scenario, MMO (20-100) LOD levels between (7K - 12K), themed avatar (7K - 20K). Also reduce texture sizes where possible using preview to check acceptable levels. Also remember you can generate different LOD levels for gaming based on the scenario of the game. Close up action High LOD, far away stuff Low LOD.

2. As stated above, the polygon rendering using modern day graphics cards will be ok. But unity really needs optimizing with its draw calls. This usually is associated with the number of sub-meshes or materials using separate textures in your game. Best advice is to combine the sub-meshes where possible and reduce the number of textures in the game. Unity offers a combine meshes function to achieve this, check it out!

3. Another thing i do, is in daz before exporting i create a seperate folder and export into that. Then i go into explorer and copy the folder over into the unity projects assets folder. Unity automatically finds it and loads it in. This way it keeps everything organised better.

4. if your importing from daz you will also get the texture import/shader mapping issue. Usually everything gets set to standard diffuse shader which is not the original mapping. Unity does NOT preserve this for you!!. Here is a list to the best of my knowledge of the likely mapping you will require to get something looking similar to the brilliant daz shader model look!!

DAZ / Unity Texture Mapping
    Filename_M Import Texture
    Filename_B Import Normal Map / Bump Map (Do not generate grey scale)
    Filename_Tr Import Normal Map ( Do not generate grey scale )
    DAZ / Unity Shader Mapping
    (B, M) Bumped Difuse
    (Tr) Transparent/Difuse
    (B,Tr) Transparent/Bumped Difuse
    Digimi Texture Atlas
    diffuse_Image_1_AtlasUVs Unity Texture Map Type Diffuse
    opacity_Image_1_AtlasUVs Unity Transparency Map Type (Tr)

40. nath0rn

nath0rn

And it exports, and keeps all the bones and whatever else nice?

My issue was the clothes and hair didn't sync with the animations

41. MarkGX

MarkGX

I never had that issue, but might be worth ensuring that all clothing is exported in T-Pose position. Make sure in Daz that the bones are zero'ed maybe not for the clothing items. The latest DAZ studio T-Poses V4 correctly (bones zero'ed out). If you are exporting both the clothing and the figure together using the Autodesk FBX exporter you should not have any issues as this has always worked for me. I've heard of hair displacement issues though with animation but not clothing.

42. nath0rn

nath0rn

Ahh animation is what I was referring to.

Unless there is some magic way to animate them after they are exported. I am not sure, it's all so confusing !

43. atalanta

atalanta

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2828149#2828149

We're not crazy. The DAZ FBX plug in worked up to December. Then you start seeing everyone complaining it doesn't work. It happened to me. I've posted a bunch of bug reports in Mantis. They keep saying the FBX is resolved...it's not.

If you notice ever since people on the Unity forum started complaining about the FBX exporter the DAZPRO rep disappeared.

It's pretty clear...DAZ showed up at GDC to make sales to the Unity Game developer crowd. Their stuff shows promise for game development but it doesn't work and is endlessly frustrating. That's the lure...you keep buying more plug-ins, more tutorials, dreamlight etc. and pushing more money into it because it shows such promise.

MONEY MONEY MONEY
    http://www.siliconslopes.com/company/daz-productions
    http://www.myspace.com/dazdan

I'm now looking for a new application that accepts the 3dUniverse models. When you look at the DAZ forums many of the DAZ game developer community are buying "Messiah", "Topogun", "Ultimate Unwrap", Cinema 4d to try to solve these problems.

DAZ has a "Tell a Friend about DAZ" install agreement. Yes tell a friend...DAZ doesn't care.

I own and have been struggling with:
    DAZ|Studio 3.0 Advanced
    Carrara 8 Pro
    DAZ Game Developer Kit
    a ton of plug ins,
    a ton of models Victoria 3, 4, Girl, 3D Universe models, millenium

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  44. atalanta

atalanta

45. Antonee

Antonee

dose this mean i can't use victoria 4.2 in unity? I just downloaded "The Girl 4" model for victoria and i just can't live without this model. she had a Asian Lara croft thing going for her:). fits my project perfectly. please tell me i can use her! pleeeease!!!

46. atalanta

atalanta

Hey Antonee,
    What it means is that if we want to use these models we need to find something other than DAZ|studio or Carrara to do the decimation (reducing the poly count) and the final FBX export. It appears that FBX is the only format that carries the AniBlocks or Animate animations to Unity.

I've done many tests so far, documented and screenshot the steps everytime. Even on the workflows that produced a "clothed", "animated", "lower poly" model...DAZ exports sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. No explanation.

I have "the girl" and can run a test for you to see if she exports. Still these models are such a high poly count that you need to get them down to around 10k polys to run several animations on the screen.

47. atalanta

atalanta

Oh one more thing...the DAZ Game Developer kit is a waste of money. http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=10675

Again...doesn't work.

DAZ Decimator: doesn't get the polys low enough. Instead use Unwrap 3d or Topogun
    Texture Atlas: Have not tried it. Blender, Topogun, Unwrap 3d
    FBX: Crashes DAZ, fails to export, or creates a defective export. You'll need FBX for animations...Collada doesn't carry the animations. This is the killer. This is why people have been buying Messiah, Cinema4d, MilkShape, Unwrap 3d. To consistently carry animations and a working FBX.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO POUND ON DAZ's MANTIS BUG REPORT SYSTEM UNTIL THEY MAKE THIS STUFF WORK. OR DAZ NEEDS TO STOP WOOING THE GAME CROWD.

48. drewradley

drewradley

I have no problems at all using any of the developer kit and all my models exported from DAZ studio work like a charm in unity.

Antonee, you cannot use the model UNLESS you buy a developer's license for it.

49. atalanta

atalanta

Hey Drew,
    That's the point. There were updates made after December 2010 that broke everything. Can you tell us the software and versions you are using that is working? DAZ doesn't even know what to tell me to roll back to. They just don't know.

Also would appreciate your workflow and settings for us to test.

Thanks

50. n321

n321

You are not correct sir. The developer kit works jsut fine and the decimator works correctly if you use it right. I have been able to get every single DAZ model that I have downloaded into Unity3d and they work and look very well. You will want to make use of the hand made LOD meshes that come with the DAZ models and then decimate on that mesh...not the actual mesh. (tho that can work too it just wont get you the poly count that you want) Once you have applied the LOD decimate the mesh. Then decimate each morph...i.e. hair, clothese, ect. Once you have done this use texture atlas to put all of the textures into one texture. Apply or create your animations. Then export as FBX. One extra step I do (as I like to have normal maps for every thing) Export the high poly mesh (the origional with out LOD or decimation) as FBX and use a normal mapping tool to create a normal map based off of you high and low poly meshes. There may be a few more steps that you want to consider like getting rid of the extra material references so that your model only has one. I have attached a video below that will walk you through it (it does not cover my normal map step).

These models are actually very nice and most are free. Its nice because you can morph them into what ever you want. The morphing allows you to create many origional looking models out of one base model. The DAZ product is actually quite intuitive...the animation tools are very easy to use and the workflow is very quick and painless. The final models look very good. I cant say that they are as good as a custom, hand modeled, character...but they are great for indi's who want to rapidly create char models for their game and do not have the time or resources to create all of their models by hand. They also work well for RPG's as they can be exported nude and then have other models attached to them that can be exported from DAZ separately. I was able to get it all working with ORK in less then a day. Take a look at the videos below. It will teach you how to export the DAZ models correctly.

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/blogs/afalk/daz-studio-unity-3d-workflow