Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DAZ 3D Models in Unity

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dazpro, Mar 26, 2010.

1. cynel

cynel

it appears that the download link doesn't work anymore

2. TalismanSkulls

TalismanSkulls

DAZ 3D studio only has 4.0 out and we been trying to get these models setup to work with the Unity Game Engine. There seems to be a few issues we are having setting up on our dedicated server. Does anyone have a link showing the current models with the current version in a unity engine? Our online project is entirely volunteer and sponsor supported for now but before we go live we need to make sure these hangs are able to be resolved.

3. cynel

cynel

with the link down i must make a blank model in hexagon to be morphed and rigged in daz 3D

4. drewradley

drewradley

You'd need to make your own model and morphs anyway, unless you buy the game license. The Blank model would only make rigging a bit easier. You can always write DAZ support and ask them where you can find the current download link for the M4 Blank.

5. cynel

cynel

i will besides daz has potential to speed up making random npc's for my game

6. cynel

cynel

it apears the daz suport is down

7. dbryson

dbryson

Has anyone actually used the DAZ content for a game?

8. cynel

cynel

well i found another way ill make a 2d drawing of a blank model then ill use that as reference in hexagon

9. gorbett

gorbett

I have heard here mentioned a couple times "game license" for daz models yet I can't find anything on it.

Also, has anyone been able to use decimate to have workable models in unity?

10. Venged

Venged

I have been able to decimate a model and use it in Unity. The decimation works pretty good. I suggest decimating the nude model separate from the clothes and gear.

it is nice because you can get prototype of your model design going in the level while perfecting the final version separately or the decimated model can be the one for your game.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. drewradley

drewradley

http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license
    I use them all the time in PC games. Too big for mobile, even decimated. I did make a pair of FPS arms for mobile that turned out quite nice.

12. wccrawford

wccrawford

tl;dr - Should I try to make low-poly models of Daz3D models as a way to get started with 3D modeling?

I've been wanting to get into 3D modeling for a while, but I find myself blocked by my lack of artistic vision. I'm thinking that if I started with other people's models and made low-poly versions of them, it could help me learn all the little techniques I need to made a good model.

I'm not afraid of any of the technical stuff. It's merely the artistic stuff that has always baffled me. Recently, I've been realizing that it's a matter of practice, which is the one thing I haven't been doing all these years. (Mainly because I thought it'd be pointless, but also because I had other things to do with my time.)

Am I off-base there? Or maybe there's a market just for the skill of turning high-poly into low-poly, and so it really makes sense to have it first?

13. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Daz is in no way a modelling program to "learn" how to model. If you want to learn modeling stick with 3ds max, Maya or blender. Daz is just a glorified character creator like what you'd find in an RPG or wrestling game. It will, however, let you study the wireframe and anatomy / proportions. Importing a daz model into a "real" modeler, then using it as a reference to practice side ny side works very well.

Also consider "make human". It's another procedural character generator. Free, and a bit more intuitive than daz..not s feature rich, but IMO cleaner and more practical when using it for a real modeling base. I personally prefer it. Daz can get kind of gimmicky.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  14. Venged

Venged

I started learning and working on my game in Jan 2012. I used Daz to realize my character design so I focus on learning others things. I ended up later doing a retopology of the high rez model that I had original decimated in Daz and had it working in game levels. I also rerigged it in Daz Carrara late. You can rigg in Daz3d as well. Later I graduated to modeling ans scuplting. I agree with the advice given to you on here but I think Daz3D is good tool for you. I am now using Daz for making other characters like extras and enemies while I focus my modeling on just the main hero's in the game. As stated on this forum Daz does give you a great look into the make up of the models. Daz helped me learn and still continues to be a great asset in addition to the modeling I have since learned and my continued learning in modeling and those many other game dev related areas.

I recently switch to learning Blender. I recommend Blender to you for modeling because it is free and there are extensions that let you set it up quite like 3Ds Max and Maya. I want those autodesk programs but can't afford them and found Blender to be great. I have Carrara but it seems to never get updated so I wouldn't shell out cash for it while great free programs with large community's around them are out there. Lastly Daz will expose you to a lot of jargon that you need to get started in modeling things and texturing ect..

Here is link to a youtube video of the early version 1 of my game hero. This toon was decimated in Daz3D.

http://youtu.be/AeiwbGpo_cU

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  15. wccrawford

wccrawford

Blender was what I had planned to use for the actual work, yeah. I've gone through a lot of tutorials and know the technical stuff... It's just a lot of the artistic stuff I'm missing.

Thanks for the advice!

16. cynel

cynel

17. Venged

Venged

Here is a video I made for you to help explain how Daz3D can be a good tool in addition to the modeling and sculpting tools that you are learning or will learn. The Procedural Character generation that was linked to this forum also looks great and I might add it to my tool box when if it comes on the market.

Take a look

http://youtu.be/0FjFXTD1XD0

18. wizardious

wizardious

Here are a couple pics from about a year ago
    $prototype1.png
    $VictoriainUnitybootcamp.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  19. im

im

but from my understanding to use daz models in a commercial video game you must get like at least indie license for $500 and also you have to buy the models and the clothing and such and the license only extends to their stuff and not clothing and models and stuff you buy from 3rd parties on their website

so it can get very expensive very quickly even for indie...

other than that its amazing what they offer at their site. hopefully more technology like that will become available in unity3d and in the asset store...

20. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hi folks, I got daz/poser guys working in unity as ragdolls, this allowed them to work in various AI packages I have. Weirdly though if I use a morph on someone in daz, like make him look a bit stronger using the "shape" settings, once I bring him into unity and ragdoll him he's fine, but when I use it in the AI packages these claim he is not a ragdoll and crash!! Any ideas?

21. lazygunn

lazygunn

What's your workflow radiantboy? When you export the model to fbx, do you use the morph filters to get down to the exact morphs you need? Are your clothing/accesories' rigging merged into the main skeleton? Do you use an intermediary software to clean up the models a little and re-export? Do morphs work in the editor normally? And do you have the blendshape contribution similarly set up in unity as daz? I've had some problems with the orientation of models because of a particularly zealous morph

When you press play, have you checked the colliders on the model used for the ragdoll in the heirarchy? Are they active?

These are just some considerations, 'AI scripts' isnt very enlightening