Unity Community

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

1. Location
    UK
    I never had that issue, but might be worth ensuring that all clothing is exported in T-Pose position. Make sure in Daz that the bones are zero'ed maybe not for the clothing items. The latest DAZ studio T-Poses V4 correctly (bones zero'ed out). If you are exporting both the clothing and the figure together using the Autodesk FBX exporter you should not have any issues as this has always worked for me. I've heard of hair displacement issues though with animation but not clothing.

2. Posts
    Ahh animation is what I was referring to.

Unless there is some magic way to animate them after they are exported. I am not sure, it's all so confusing !

3. Posts

You aren't crazy...DAZ doesn't care

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2828149#2828149

We're not crazy. The DAZ FBX plug in worked up to December. Then you start seeing everyone complaining it doesn't work. It happened to me. I've posted a bunch of bug reports in Mantis. They keep saying the FBX is resolved...it's not.

If you notice ever since people on the Unity forum started complaining about the FBX exporter the DAZPRO rep disappeared.

It's pretty clear...DAZ showed up at GDC to make sales to the Unity Game developer crowd. Their stuff shows promise for game development but it doesn't work and is endlessly frustrating. That's the lure...you keep buying more plug-ins, more tutorials, dreamlight etc. and pushing more money into it because it shows such promise.

MONEY MONEY MONEY
    http://www.siliconslopes.com/company/daz-productions
    http://www.myspace.com/dazdan

I'm now looking for a new application that accepts the 3dUniverse models. When you look at the DAZ forums many of the DAZ game developer community are buying "Messiah", "Topogun", "Ultimate Unwrap", Cinema 4d to try to solve these problems.

DAZ has a "Tell a Friend about DAZ" install agreement. Yes tell a friend...DAZ doesn't care.

I own and have been struggling with:
    DAZ|Studio 3.0 Advanced
    Carrara 8 Pro
    DAZ Game Developer Kit
    a ton of plug ins,
    a ton of models Victoria 3, 4, Girl, 3D Universe models, millenium
    Last edited by atalanta; 03-22-2011 at 07:12 AM.

4. Posts
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/588...hlight=carrara

Someone calls them "Trash3d". Wish I'd seen that before spending all that money.

5. Posts
    dose this mean i can't use victoria 4.2 in unity? I just downloaded "The Girl 4" model for victoria and i just can't live without this model. she had a Asian Lara croft thing going for her. fits my project perfectly. please tell me i can use her! pleeeease!!!

6. Posts
    Hey Antonee,
    What it means is that if we want to use these models we need to find something other than DAZ|studio or Carrara to do the decimation (reducing the poly count) and the final FBX export. It appears that FBX is the only format that carries the AniBlocks or Animate animations to Unity.

I've done many tests so far, documented and screenshot the steps everytime. Even on the workflows that produced a "clothed", "animated", "lower poly" model...DAZ exports sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. No explanation.

I have "the girl" and can run a test for you to see if she exports. Still these models are such a high poly count that you need to get them down to around 10k polys to run several animations on the screen.
    Last edited by atalanta; 03-22-2011 at 07:08 AM.

7. Posts
    Oh one more thing...the DAZ Game Developer kit is a waste of money. http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=10675

Again...doesn't work.

DAZ Decimator: doesn't get the polys low enough. Instead use Unwrap 3d or Topogun
    Texture Atlas: Have not tried it. Blender, Topogun, Unwrap 3d
    FBX: Crashes DAZ, fails to export, or creates a defective export. You'll need FBX for animations...Collada doesn't carry the animations. This is the killer. This is why people have been buying Messiah, Cinema4d, MilkShape, Unwrap 3d. To consistently carry animations and a working FBX.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO POUND ON DAZ's MANTIS BUG REPORT SYSTEM UNTIL THEY MAKE THIS STUFF WORK. OR DAZ NEEDS TO STOP WOOING THE GAME CROWD.
    Last edited by atalanta; 03-22-2011 at 07:26 AM.

8. Posts
    I have no problems at all using any of the developer kit and all my models exported from DAZ studio work like a charm in unity.

Antonee, you cannot use the model UNLESS you buy a developer's license for it.

9. Posts
    Hey Drew,
    That's the point. There were updates made after December 2010 that broke everything. Can you tell us the software and versions you are using that is working? DAZ doesn't even know what to tell me to roll back to. They just don't know.

Also would appreciate your workflow and settings for us to test.

Thanks

Geek Translator

10. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atalanta View Post
    Oh one more thing...the DAZ Game Developer kit is a waste of money. http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=10675

Again...doesn't work.

DAZ Decimator: doesn't get the polys low enough. Instead use Unwrap 3d or Topogun
    Texture Atlas: Have not tried it. Blender, Topogun, Unwrap 3d
    FBX: Crashes DAZ, fails to export, or creates a defective export. You'll need FBX for animations...Collada doesn't carry the animations. This is the killer. This is why people have been buying Messiah, Cinema4d, MilkShape, Unwrap 3d. To consistently carry animations and a working FBX.
    You are not correct sir. The developer kit works jsut fine and the decimator works correctly if you use it right. I have been able to get every single DAZ model that I have downloaded into Unity3d and they work and look very well. You will want to make use of the hand made LOD meshes that come with the DAZ models and then decimate on that mesh...not the actual mesh. (tho that can work too it just wont get you the poly count that you want) Once you have applied the LOD decimate the mesh. Then decimate each morph...i.e. hair, clothese, ect. Once you have done this use texture atlas to put all of the textures into one texture. Apply or create your animations. Then export as FBX. One extra step I do (as I like to have normal maps for every thing) Export the high poly mesh (the origional with out LOD or decimation) as FBX and use a normal mapping tool to create a normal map based off of you high and low poly meshes. There may be a few more steps that you want to consider like getting rid of the extra material references so that your model only has one. I have attached a video below that will walk you through it (it does not cover my normal map step).

These models are actually very nice and most are free. Its nice because you can morph them into what ever you want. The morphing allows you to create many origional looking models out of one base model. The DAZ product is actually quite intuitive...the animation tools are very easy to use and the workflow is very quick and painless. The final models look very good. I cant say that they are as good as a custom, hand modeled, character...but they are great for indi's who want to rapidly create char models for their game and do not have the time or resources to create all of their models by hand. They also work well for RPG's as they can be exported nude and then have other models attached to them that can be exported from DAZ separately. I was able to get it all working with ORK in less then a day. Take a look at the videos below. It will teach you how to export the DAZ models correctly.

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/blogs/...ty-3d-workflow

11. Posts
    Thanks for your post. Yes please post the workflow and screenshots of your settings. I've tried most of everything you are explaining. This is why I'm asking for screenshots of your settings. You know: Step 1, Step 2 etc.

I've filed bug after bug. Please post the versions of DAZ and Plug-ins you are using.

DAZ FOR DUMMYS. IF YOU GOT IT TO WORK POST YOUR STEPS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER WITH SCREENSHOTS OF YOUR SETTINGS AND FINAL OUTPUT. not yelling, just emphasis.

I have got a few models into Unity. It just doesn't happen 99% of the last two months. And I'm talking about working on a solution that is consistent for over a couple of months DAILY. I've watched tons of videos, gone through the User Guides DOWN TO THE EARLIEST VERSIONS. The Game Developers Forum on DAZ is full of the same complaints.

Please post your step by step with screenshots for us to try before you tell me I'm "wrong".

I love the models. It's the DAZ software that is failing. So don't preach to me about Indies and I don't know what I'm talking about. Just post a solution that everyone can follow like a step by step dummy proof manual.

As far as I can tell Victoria is the only model DAZ has working with this system. That's why DAZ keeps demoing her saying "look we can do games too". None of the other models successfully and consistently work. Carrara's FBX also is no help because the morphs keep falling off.
    Last edited by atalanta; 03-22-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Geek Translator

12. Posts
    The proof is in the pudding. http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php...4b8591212278b4
    http://forum.daz3d.com/viewforum.php...4b8591212278b4

I've started a new thread. DAZ STUDIO AND CARRARA FOR DUMMYS http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/827...hlight=carrara

Please post your step by step solutions there with screenshots OR video. No arguing. Just solutions and evidence. Thanks in advance.

Geek Translator

13. Posts
    Hey Drew,
    That's the point. There were updates made after December 2010 that broke everything. Can you tell us the software and versions you are using that is working? DAZ doesn't even know what to tell me to roll back to. They just don't know.

Also would appreciate your workflow and settings for us to test.

Thanks
    I am using D/S 3.1.2.24, FBX exporter 2.0.6.23, decimator 1.1.2.40 and texture atlas 1.0.1.7. I set the figures all up in Poser 7 (or pro depending on which computer I am using) and do all my animations in there as well ans save them as poses. Then I import the Poser file into D/S and delete all the lights and cameras and anything else I don't want and hide all the body parts that cannot be seen (sometimes I do this in poser - seems to make no difference) then I decimate it piece by piece as small as I can without noticeably deforming the mesh. which happens if you try to decimate too far. Then I use texture atlas to make the single texture for it and use this to create my own bump maps if I so choose. I save the D/S file and export a T posed figure and check it in unity and make sure it looks the way I want it to. Then I apply my poses one at a time and export them individually using name@animationName. Then I check to make sure the animations work on the T posed figure. Finally, once I have all the animations I want done, I make a copy of them inside unity and set my T posed figure up to use those copies so I can delete all the name@animationName files.

As for the settings, I just use the default settings on the exporter and make my textures all 2048x2048 or better and make them smaller in photoshop if I want them smaller. I usually decimate my meshes down to 25k for the figure and another 10k or so for the clothes, props, etc. I also am using the M3/V3 reduced resolution figures which are already 43K.

Incidentally, n321, you cannot use the free models in a game that you plan to share. It violates their EULA. You have to buy a developer's license. Even if you decimate and texture atlas them you still are not allowed to redistribute the mesh in any way, including as game models. The developer's license has a one time use and unlimited use agreements and costs. I bought the 3d starter pack for $75 which includes: 2 reduced resolution, "normal" people with lots of morphs, 2 stylized people, 2 cartoon kids, a dog, a cat, a gorilla, a dragon and a few other props and clothes and hair. The $75 is for unlimited use so I can use them in any game I want.
    Last edited by drewradley; 03-22-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Thank you very much n321 for taking the time to post those videos. I do have a couple of questions though I hope you can answer. As far as clothing options go and you mention having them all embedded in the character. My concern is that we are going to quickly bump up against the Unity3d poly count importation limits. Or has this gone away?

Also, could you explain a little more about your hair. I noticed that it looks like an imported object in daz that you attached to V4's skeleton under the head node. Did you first export it then re-import it and place it? Also, you say it needed to be snapped to the model, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that. Do you mean the fit to command or parenting?

There are some threads in the forum about combining meshes and animations etc.. I am wondering if this is the right path towards combing various clothing options within Unity vs. Exporting them all at once from daz. Then my question is how does one export the clothing options only from daz.

Also, Is it possible to say drag one clothing item from one character in Unity to another? If so then maybe we can just create clothing prefabs, drag the sub items from unity onto the prefabs after export then delete them from the model. Then add and parent on the fly as needed? My gut tells me it's not that easy but it's worth a shot.

Oh an finally have you tried Mixamo animations / preview with this export flow? I can often get from daz -> Unity but then Mixamo complains there is no skinned mesh on the imported model >.<
    Last edited by rutecht; 03-22-2011 at 09:02 AM.

15. Posts
    Drew,
    Thanks for your detailed response. You just made my point. DAZ is selling DAZ Studio and the Game Developer Kit as a complete solution. I expect to get what I pay especially since DAZ is touting it's wares directly to the game devs.

You are using Poser and doing a lot of work there.

If you go to the http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/628...ther-a-contest
    DAZPRO Says: "tatoforever - you are looking at an artist's rendering who was trying to create an interesting image. While the image may be captivating, the objective of the decimation (in the example image) was not to optimize the model for games. You will notice that hardly any effort was made to reduce the polys in the hair or belt.
    Nonetheless, the tool includes a weighting system that provides for very granular decimation - on a surface by surface basis - So that you can allocate 2 or 3 times as many polys to the face as to the torso, legs, etc. By using the relative weighting system you are able to very judiciously allocate your poly budget.
    Thanks for the input on the image though. It was intended to look cool - not necessarily to show off the full capabilities of the tool. Maybe DAZ 3D should re-think that. "

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php...r=asc&start=20

Geek Translator

16. Posts
    I am doing minimal work in Poser and what I am doing has no effect at all on the game developer's tools. I dress them and edit the motion capture in poser. I could just as easily dress them in D/S (and have done so for some I've exported) and I apply the animations in D/S. I just think the graph editor in Poser is the perfect tool for editing BVH motion captures and I often work in public places so I don't like to work with "naked" models so I dress them first. Again NONE of this has any impact whatsoever on the game developer's tools.

17. Posts
    Thank you Drew.
    I don't use the Victoria models. I use the 3dUniverse models. Which are you using? I'll test your method and get back to you with my results.

I'm running:
    DAZ Studio Advanced 3.1.2.32 starting
    Running on Windows 7, Build 7601, Service Pack 1
    Plugin: FBX Exporter Version:2.0.6.23 DAZ Decimator Version:1.1.2.55 Plugin:Texture Atlas Version:1.0.1.7

Geek Translator

18. Posts
    Thank you Drew.
    I don't use the Victoria models. I use the 3dUniverse models. Which are you using? I'll test your method and get back to you with my results.

I'm running:
    DAZ Studio Advanced 3.1.2.32 starting
    Running on Windows 7, Build 7601, Service Pack 1
    Plugin: FBX Exporter Version:2.0.6.23 DAZ Decimator Version:1.1.2.55 Plugin:Texture Atlas Version:1.0.1.7
    I'm using the models that come with this pack: http://developer.daz3d.com/i/shop/it...ils/?item=2635
    Bought the unlimited use license for $75 and has several figures (including a dragon!). I also use the Project Human/Sixus models from ShareCG which are open source and usable in games. This includes an Orc and lots of clothes and accessories for him, a goblin with not as many accessories, a "smegal" type character (pre-gollum lord of the rings) and several humans (and others I don't recall all of right now). Just search for Unrestricted use items on ShareCG.

19. Location
    Chicagoland, USA
    I am happy to say that in all honesty I haven't had any trouble with V4 based characters. I didn't manage to get the Girl4 test character to export, but everything else has been spot on. I have most of Sixus' models (love hsi work!) and I'll have to give them a whirl as well plus I'll see if I can get any 3DU characters to work in the export chain.

lastly -- thanks for the cross-post on my vids, I hope they were at least some help.

AF
    ------

The right answer is usually the one that gets the job Done!

20. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afalk View Post
    ... I have most of Sixus' models (love hsi work!) and I'll have to give them a whirl as well...

AF
    One thing about the orc to keep in mind: some of the clothing have props attached that get lost in translation, unless you parent them to the orc itself. Specifically, I'm talking about the armor which has three "plates" which are parented to the armor figure. For some reason, they don't convert unless they are a child of the main figure.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast