Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic (iPhone submarine simulation)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by VIC20, Mar 11, 2010.

1. VIC20

VIC20

John-G likes this.
  2. John-G

John-G

Very atmospheric shots indeed.

3. VIC20

VIC20

Thanks John.

(hopefully) Last step of the new cloud system is to let it dynamically change the direct light intensity, color and other parameters of my environment based on cloud coverage, density and other cloud settings.

I've split my cloud shader into two separate shaders, it was much easier to do this with my cloud shader variant for bad weather where it is just a kind of blend intensity that needs to be feed into my scripts.
    It turned out that this was the right way to start this thing because the given input source from the bad weather shader was less complicated so I could concentrate on tweaking what I need to do based on this value without getting confused by a possibly wrong input data itself.
    Next step (good weather shader) was a bit tricky because due to the nature of my cloud shader it is hard to predict how much coverage and density will be actually generated at a given setting (the shader has 13 different parameters for the setup and sometimes they "fight" each other). But I almost got it like I wanted:

(When you see a popping on the horizon, this is due to another automatic function which is set to an fixed interval which corrects intensity of the water horizon line based on a different input for cloud coverage. Also the IBL map convolution is set to an interval because total realtime is more than I need for my project and less work saves performance.)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    John-G likes this.
  4. VIC20

VIC20

Still working on the light… lighting of ships still need improvement when in heavy seas. :-(
    Recorded with camera from iPad screen and via AirPlay.

John-G likes this.
  5. VIC20

VIC20

I've released a Spin-off of WOTA yesterday: "WOTA: U-Boat Compass" which has some content of the game included in a little educational part of the app which I call the "Animated Compass Tour". This tour explains the basics about the compass installations aboard the Type VII submarine while it shows a submerged U-Boat or the 3D model of the command room in the background.

Beside that it is an awesome compass and a funny toy for subsim-nerds :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wota-u-boat-compass/id956825556?l=de&ls=1&mt=8

Press release text:

First Spin-Off of the submarine simulation series „WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic“ released.

BERLIN, Germany. (January 22, 2015) --- Mark Hessburg, in cooperation with the Technical Museum U 995 of the German Naval Association, today released „WOTA: U-Boat Compass“, a unique new type of compass app for iOS. "Yes, you could say it is a compass“ said Hessburg,"but primarily it is actually a fully functional virtual exhibition piece".

The app offers a working 3D simulation of a naval gyrocompass as used in german submarines during World War II. Situated in the center of a high resolution 360° spherical panorama of the command room of U 995 the compass can be looked at from any angle by turning the device. Of course the 3D model always keeps track of the current geographic direction while the user rotates the view and enjoys the high level of detail. Zooming in on the 3D model works up to the visible surface character of the tiniest screws. The compass, which is assisted by the device’s gyroscope, uses two rotating rings to display direction and offers a precision of up to 1/10 degree. An additional digital Rate of Turn and Angle of List indicator put the emphasis on the naval character of this app.

"WOTA: U-Boat Compass“ is the hybrid of a submarine simulation game and a museum ship. The app is a Spin-Off of the long-awaited mobile subsim "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic“ as such it offers features no one would expect in a compass app: a 3D animated information tour about the compass installations aboard the german Type VIIC U-Boat which shows an underwater scene and the U-Boat interior of the upcoming game. This impressive part of the app clearly shows the outstanding capabilities of WOTA and ultimately distinguishes the "WOTA: U-Boat Compass“ from all those simple compass apps out there.

Hessburg: "It had been an honour to cooperate with the German Naval Association and their Technical Museum U 995. The App is closing the gap between history and my WOTA submarine simulation series. It also supports the preservation of the last surviving Type VII U-Boat, offers an extraordinary compass and gives all those thousands of fans of WOTA a the chance to preview a small part of what will be the finished version of Wolves of the Atlantic, and enables them to see its stunning quality and attention to detail directly on their own devices.“

List of features:

- Compass assisted by the gyroscope.
    - High resolution 360° panorama of U 995’s command room. Take a virtual look around by moving your device.
    - Look at the compass from different angles by moving your device (lockable). Use pinch to zoom gesture to resize it.
    - Animated information tour with 3D models of a Type VII U-Boat and its command room.
    - Choose your compass case color: Black, Gray, Brass or Transparent.
    - Outer (360°) and inner (10°) compass ring, just like on a typical naval compass.
    - Angle of List indicator.
    - Rate of Turn indicator.
    - Speedometer (requires built-in GPS.)
    - Latitude and longitude (requires built-in GPS or Wi-Fi network connection.)
    - Different units (knots, km/h, mph, ROT per second or per minute.)

John-G likes this.
  6. VIC20

VIC20

Some months old, but maybe interesting for someone. Visualization of buoyancy. Cell based displacement to feed my physics calculations.