Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Unity 3.0! iPad, Android and PlayStation!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 8, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

View a video demo of the new deferred rendering features on Vimeo: Dark Unity

Today we are extremely excited to announce Unity 3.0! Here is a link to the press release we put out just this morning:

Unity Technologies Unveils Third Generation of Its Powerful Development Platform

Please give the press release a read and stay tuned for site updates today as there will be lots of information coming forth. But let's just cover a few highlights in particular:

- Unified editors (Unity and Unity iPhone now rolled into one!)
    - Improved physics
    - Built-in lightmapping (Beast)
    - Occlusion culling on the desktop/web
    - Improved rendering (deferred rendering!)

- Of course iPad support is on the way (ASAP) but also...
    - Android!
    - PlayStation 3!

There's more coming as well but these are just the first announcement highlights. We're going to begin pre-sales of Unity 3.0 right away, those that purchase a license will get a current license to work with and a 3.0 license when we ship that release. What's more is that we're offering pricing discounts during this pre-purchase period and those that purchase now will get pre-release build access! So go read that press release and keep an eye on our site today for more information.

Release date: Summer 2010!

For more details, read the press release or just visit our website:

Unity 3.0 Coming Soon

Anyone in town for GDC should stop by our booth (#1112, floor plan) and say hi, catch a demo and ask lots of questions! :)

kcfos likes this.
  2. slashdotray

slashdotray

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! OMG!

THX to whole unity team....

3. galent

galent

question about upgrade?

the top of the purchase page reads:
    Below, you can now preorder Unity 3.0 with an early adopter discount. Get Unity Pro or Unity iPhone Pro for $1200 instead of $1500. Unity iPhone for $300 instead of $400. Upgrades from earlier verions are available at $500 for Unity Pro 2.x to 3.0 or Unity iPhone Advanced 1.x to Unity iPhone Pro 3.0 and $100 for Unity iPhone Basic 1.x to Unity iPhone. After 3.0 has been released the upgrade prices will be raised to $750 and $150 respectively.

Am I reading that wrong, or is the iPhone 3 basic from iPhone 1.x suppose to cost $100 now? Cause the options on the page show $300?

(Oh, and I am sooooo, buying the upgrade!! What ever you do, don't tell my wife!!! :) )

Cheers,

Galen

4. freyr

freyr

The options only show the price for a full purchase. The correct price will be filled in on the following page after you fill in a valid Unity serial number containing an iPhone Basic 1.x license.

(I will be working on updating the upgrade section in the next couple of days to make it more clear.)

5. galent

galent

Not to go over the top here, but... you know I love you Unity folks! :)

This update is completely awesome!!!!!!

V3... here I come

Cheers,

Galen

6. etoiles

etoiles

I was going to be the first the post a reply, but I fainted...

Unified editor, source level debugging, android coming... did I just die and wake up in heaven?

AWESOME!!!!

Question about the upgrade: will the $500 upgrade cover both iPhone pro and Unity 2.x to 3.0?

7. Seraphim

Seraphim

Is there going to be a free 3.0 eventually? Thinking about picking up an iPhone license, but still want to be able to develop for free on the PC / Mac.

8. kenlem

kenlem

You magnificent bastards!

/searching for crowbar to use on my wallet

9. joew

joew

Absolutely phenomenal release!

Quick question:

If you have Unity Advanced 2.x and iPhone Advanced 2.x licenses and want to pre-order 3.0 right now what are the correct steps?

I see that you can select "Upgrade to Unity Pro" for $500, but if you add iPhone Pro it adds $1200 rather than the $500 upgrade cost from 1.x in your press release.

10. Nick3d

Nick3d

This is the update I was waiting for...

I'm a bit surprised, especially for the Beast lightmap system, since a couple of days ago pureLIGHT announces their support for Unity...

Anyway, this means that, by using deferred rendering, is possible to achieve a good real-time lighting system?

I would like to know if even this 3.0 version will be free as the 2.6...that will be totally awesome!

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Dont suppose you offer any spread out payment terms for those who cant quite get $1200 let alone $2400 together in one go?

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No, it will cost $500 to upgrade your 2.x Pro to 3.x Pro, and another $500 to upgrade your 1.x iPhone Advanced to 3.x iPhone Pro.

NOTE: please take note, not only is our iPhone product jumping version numbers (1.x straight to 3.x due to editor unification) but there is a product renaming going on! Unity iPhone Basic will now be known simply as Unity iPhone, Unity iPhone Advanced will now be known as Unity iPhone Pro. :)

Yes, as per the press release our free product isn't going anywhere (why do you people keep disbelieving that it's a permanent change!? :) ). We are committed to offering Unity [free] FOREVER. So yes, once we ship you'll have access to a free version, but only those that purchase a license (spend money) get pre-release access. :)

Click option to upgrade your Pro license to 3.x, click option to add iPhone Pro and ignore the $1200 price for now. On the next page you'll be able to enter your current serial number and when it validates as 2.x Pro with 1.x iPhone Advanced the proper discount price will be shown. :)

Don't mix the notion of 3rd parties doing cool stuff with whatever we might be building into the app natively. ;) And yes, deferred rendering let's folks do all sorts of cool new things. Go to our site and check out that video!

13. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

No, not at all sorry. That gets incredibly messy in a hurry and just isn't worth it from our end. So get your funds together and make your purchase when ready. :)

14. etoiles

etoiles

Cool, I just wasn't clear on the upgrade path, this is WELL worth the money.
    cheers

15. joew

joew

Great thanks for the info Tom I'll be doing some license upgrades today. One thing I wanted to ask, I notice the page states early access to the Unity Pro 3 beta... is that currently available or is that coming soon?

Sorry for the questions just wanted some clarification.

16. freshcut

freshcut

congrats on the new version unity people, the new features look great. Really great.
    I was curious, any updates to the physx core? Soft bodies/Cloth etc?

cheers

17. Paris_legacy

Paris_legacy

So, just to pose an irritating question: how's the Android license going to work? :D

18. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Coming soon. :)

We are upgrading PhysX but will be saving the specifics until later, let's just say it will have some juicy new features for sure! ;) :)

19. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks for the quick reply, being a UK potential customer would mean another $600 for VAT?

20. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Just ordered my 3.x Pro iPhone basic upgrades. Is there anything new to download today?

21. joew

joew

Awesome thanks for all the info Tom :) I can hardly wait to check this stuff out in person tomorrow! See you there!

22. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

More details coming but it seems on track to be a separate add-on much like our iPhone add-on license.

Nothing changes around VAT charges, if you're an EU customer and you don't live in Denmark and/or you don't have a VAT Tax ID as a business, then yes you'll pay VAT charges.

No, not yet. We'll be sharing pre-release 3.0 builds later when they're done cookin' in the alpha state oven. :)

23. swtoasty

swtoasty

It may be a bit too early...But in terms of Unity Indie 3.0 what new features will it offer? And which ones will be specific to Pro 3.0?

24. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We don't have an Indie product anymore, it's just called Unity...

More details on the exact feature delta are coming. For those that want to purchase you're buying Pro anyway and thus you'll get them all. Unity [free] users won't spend a dime and won't have build access until we ship, so nothing lost in the waiting. :)

So, stay tuned as we'll roll out more and more 3.0 related information and we move forward...

25. Paris_legacy

Paris_legacy

Thanks Tom, sounds great.

Really looking forward to Unity 3, iPad support and Android support - in that order.

Summer 2010 is perfect for us too, we have all our big projects brewing for the latter half of the year.

26. D22888

D22888

So owning Unity Pro 2.x and iPhone Advanced 1.x the total cost of up grade is 1000$?
    Also since they are being rolled into 1 program, is the iphone version simply like a plugin now or is the ability to compile removed until the license is entered?
    And with that, is it possible to say upgrade to unity pro 3.0 and not upgrade the iphone license? If so would the Pro 3.0 work with iphone 1.x?

27. Dark-Table

Dark-Table

I hate to sound ungrateful for this awesome update....

....and then I jizzed in my pants.

28. kenlem

kenlem

I currently have Unity Pro and iPhone Advanced. If I do the upgrade to both, does that include support for iPad and Android or will those be additional purchases?

29. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Correct, the *current* (discounted) upgrade cost is $500 for your Pro and another $500 for your iPhone Advanced. Please note that the normal upgrade price for each of those is $750, it's just that we're discounting them to $500 during the pre-purchase period.

it's just like our Unity and Unity Pro deltas, features are locked/unlocked based on the license you enter, including the option to export for iPhone (so that option will appear/be enabled in the Build Settings dialog if/when you enter an appropriate serial number).

No, as of today you cannot upgrade one but not the other. I'm certain we can work something out with you if you must do that but you'll have to contact our sales team (sales@unity3d.com). Otherwise we're mapping out store changes to allow this but those will take a while.

30. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Pro-tip: ...

Ahh, nevermind! :) :p :D w000000t!

Support for iPad will be included with your iPhone license, Android will be separate.

31. CPUFreak91

CPUFreak91

Great news. Almost fell off my chair when I saw the large list of platforms you're releasing for!

I presume Unity for PS3/Xbox 360 will be a separate license, like Unity Wii?

32. WebWolfRussian

WebWolfRussian

I hope 11 DirectX will be? And support of destruction in APEX?

33. kenlem

kenlem

That sounds reasonable. You guys rock!

34. hogus

hogus

No upgrade option from an Indy license?

35. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Until what time will this pre-order option live? Until the release of the final product?

36. scinfu

scinfu

The current version of Unity iPhone (1.x) will not support iPad?

37. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Correct, and you'll need to be an authorized developer with Sony and/or Microsoft as well (again, all just like our Wii support).

I don't know that you should count on either of those just yet. For us we can't always jump to the latest/greatest DX version as we have to consider market penetration and that's just not as widespread as we'd like. And APEX destruction, you'll have to wait on that too. There's time still and plans can and likely will shift, but we have to implement support for those things that will have as broad an appeal and applicability as possible so sometimes the ultra cutting edge may not make the cut.

We don't have Unity Indie anymore, it's now called just Unity and it's free. If you want to upgrade from your Indie to Pro that then we can do that just not via our store as of today. Contact our sales department (sales@unity3d.com) for help, otherwise Unity [free] 3.0 will be, well, free! :)

Yes. :)

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The plan is to introduce iPad support ASAP and it will be a part of your existing (pre-3.0) license! :)

39. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Why does unity never get to x.9?

Not that it matters :D .
    This is truly fantastic and I can not wait for it's release.

40. pseudonym

pseudonym

Fantastic. Been waiting for this one for about three years. I knew it'd come eventually, well done!

How much will the PS3 license be? A ballpark will be fine at this point. Will you have Casual and Non-Casual license brackets?

Awesomes.

41. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Hi

I have Unity pro and iphone basic - what happens when I just upgrade Unity pro and not iphone basic?

42. mehware

mehware

Hey... Ok I am in Love...

I noticed the Shaders on the iPhone in the gallery. Does this mean the Bumped Specular shader will work with the new Unity iPhone... !

- Matt
    mehware

43. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

:p

There is on pricing to be shared yet for XBox nor for PS3, and nothing in our pricing is "casual" versus "non-casual". Like the Wii we'll have tiers of pricing based on download content versus retail content, and for all consoles you'll need to be an approved developer with Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft. Prices and details will be shared later when we're closer to release, if you're an approved developer for either PS3 or X360 and you want to be in as early as possible then drop our sales team a line at sales@unity3d.com.

As of today you cannot upgrade separately via our online store so you'll have to either wait for store changes to allow that, contact our sales team (sales@unity3d.com) to see if they can help you in the meantime or just upgrade both! :)

44. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

what new stuff is coming in iphone basic version 3?

45. pseudonym

pseudonym

Done :)

46. jackshiels

jackshiels

ARRRRGGG AWESOMESAWCE! :D

Seriously, this is so cool. I can't wait for iPad support. And Xbox 360! Woopee!

What is the whole scheme for Xbox 360 publishing? What are the requirements? I hear XNA isn't too hard to get into, right?

ALSO do those of us with premium licenses get access to the beta (i.e iPhone versions etc.) or is it pre-order > beta?

47. ryanzec

ryanzec

Because they pack too much stuff into each point release :)

48. dr. stupid

dr. stupid

XNA only works with pure .NET code though so you won't be able to use Unity since it is written in C++.

49. Snoopy

Snoopy

Hi Tom,

I have a question related to the pre-order of Unity 3.0.

For how long will you offer the $300 discount? Will it be available until you release 3.0 or will the discount end earlier.

Awesome news and I am really impressed by what I have seen and read so far!

Best regards,
    Pete

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

when the upgrade offer will end?

Thank you.