Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Unity 3.0! iPad, Android and PlayStation!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 8, 2010.

1. JeffAU

JeffAU

In regard to Playstation3 - what are the costs to develop/test and see your game running on a PS3?

If this has been covered somewhere then I'm sorry - please send a link if possible.

2. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

PLEASE people at least read the whole topic and all posts in it before asking the same questions over and over again.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

no pricing yet.
    but I guess its fair to assume that they will cost at very least equally to the wii license (addon to unity pro, $15k / project for digital, $30k / project for retail distribution. sony dev license required to even license it)

4. Silverfox

Silverfox

I love you guys.

Can you reveal more about the Audio Filters?! I suggested that last year on this forum :)

Will this improve audio on iPhone - could we now use reverb etc?

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

if you don't need your cpu for important things I would assume yes, up to a given degree (it all has to be done by the cpu), according the posting a few pages up

6. jashan

jashan

OMG!!! PURE AWESOMENESS!!!

Whoa - this must have been the most active thread so far in the history of Unity. And rightly so!!! 14 pages in two days. Isn't that crazy??? Ok, maybe 100,000 users does change the game (just a little bit). Well, anyways, I just went over this whole beast quite quickly ...

I really appreciate the UT activity in this thread! Tom - did you get any sleep at all? Did you still get to do anything else but reading/posting/running for mo' info? And hi Keli, hi Soren, hi Nicholas, hi Aras!!! I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Ah, it's totally awesome.

Got my pre-sales upgrade already, so now I'm officially a Unity Pro 3.0 + Unity iPhone Pro 3.0 + Asset Server Client owner. Yeeehaaa! Oh wait ... I guess I missed something ... now where is that download?

Just kidding ;-)

I honestly waited patiently since 2.0 until I could finally send you some $$$ for an official major release (especially after all those major releases that you were calling "minor releases" just to give them to us for free, which I find pretty cool, of course ... 2.5 a minor release??? yeah, right) - so I'll be happy to wait until Summer of Unite 2010 (I vote for Amsterdam or Copenhagen) for the final release (and will be very happily playing with the pre-releases).

The video looks awesome, and I'm totally looking forward to the Audio Magic. Ah ... and *finally* editor unification. And Debugging ... and maybe (but just maybe) MonoDevelop will keep me from moving back to Windows (which I'm currently seriously considering as Visual Studio integration rocks and is just too tricky to set up properly on the Mac). But hey: If we can get debugging in Visual Studio ... I wouldn't mind putting Windows 7 on my Mac Pro just for Unity development.

And ... aaaaaahhhhh:

At last (well, not that I didn't expect that but it's nice to have it officially announced)!!! :cool:

And now I just received the license information, yeehaaa!

Only thing that sucks badly is that I'm so late for this party. Folks, c'mon, let me make a suggestion: In future, you make your announcements when I'm browsing the forum, kkthx? I feel left out. Page 14. Ouch. This is not fair :twisted:

:oops:

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I just picked up on this thread and it's already 14 pages long!

@HiggyB - Might be a good idea to add a sticky to the forums with FAQ's about 3.0 and the upgrade. Not many of us have the time to read 14+ pages of forum posts.

8. xandeck

xandeck

I think he will do this soon, at the main page of Unity web site. But I totally agree with you :D

Can't wait to see UNITY 3.0

9. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Did I read well that there will be some tool in unity3 to generate texture atlasses ? Or is there maybe allready a tool which can do this now ?

Like I have a model which uses 4 materials each being 256x256 and I'd like to get these all combined into 1 512x512 with a tool which remaps the UVs for me ?

10. WolfoX

WolfoX

Omg, SpeedTree ftw!
    Thanks to the Unity Team. Unity 3 will rock the world.

11. JFo

JFo

What kind of audio format support there is in the 3.0? There are mention about mod file support, but what about mp3?

Can we expect to have native mp3 playback support from file at runtime in Unity 3.0?

We are just planning to implement the own plug-in for that, so this info would save us to "reinvent the wheel"...

TIA,

Juha

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

do you intend to pay several thousand USD for each of your released games just for the sake of mp3?

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

i would have more info about Asset Server developing before upgrade!

Honestly i'm not using Asset Server for my iPhone Projects!

Thank You

14. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

KKKK !!!, i´m sick!!!, .... the release of the milenium...

15. jamie

jamie

wow, unity technologies should go public, I want to buy stock....

great release, can't wait to play with it.

16. Jessy

Jessy

Do you intend to make everyone listen to a high file size/low quality, and antiquated, compressed music format, instead of embracing the vastly superior Vorbis?

Death to .mp3! :evil:

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

Agreed.

The only thing that could beat ogg is mp3 pro and that has a significantly higher fee.

18. JFo

JFo

That's what we want to avoid, if Unity 3.0 offers the licensed mp3 file support (just like we don't have to pay separate license for using PhysX, Beast, Umbra..)

Just compare our case as a typical music player, where the music files are from user's music library.
    Mp3 is still the most used music audio format..

BR,

Juha

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

Incorrect
    Unity can never offer you a license to that. The distributed end application has to have a license.

Unity can pay the license to integrate it into the editor but that does not cover anything for you!

20. jashan

jashan

Actually, I had been thinking about that as well - but I really find the stock market a rather disgusting place and would rather not see UT involved there.

But what about this: Only actual customers who have released at least one game with Unity can buy shares? ;-)

Personally, I'd rather have those guys and gals be as independent as possible and do "their thing". And I'm happy whenever there's a major upgrade and I can say "thank you" in $$$-speak ;-)

21. loken

loken

*Hugs the Unity Developers Tightly* I... I love you guys..

This is going to be great. Class act guys.

22. jamie

jamie

I agree, but if they had been public an announcement like this one would likely have sent the stock through the roof! :)

23. JFo

JFo

This is going off-topic, but surely that is possible. For example, look at the Fluendo decoder terms (and it is free mp3 decoder for Linux..)

"Fluendo has paid the license of Fraunhofer and Thomson to be able to distribute a binary MP3 decoder. This means that people who want MP3 support for the desktop music players can get a fully licensed plug-in directly from this site."

This thread is not for arguing about the mp3 format, so the original question still remains:

What kind of support there is for the mp3 format in the Unity 3.0?

BR,

Juha

24. Jessy

Jessy

Well there's got to be some support for .mp3 in Unity 3.0, considering Unity iPhone supports it.

25. niosop2

niosop2

Just day before yesterday I was talking to my brother about choosing an engine for our game. We had already decided on Unity because it's SOOOO much faster to develop in than our alternatives (the UDK and LeadWerks). I said "Unity is so nice to work with, if only it had deferred lighting like LeadWerks, a built in lightmapper like the UDK and they updated the PhysX codebase, it would be the ultimate engine."

And now this. You guys have seriously outdone yourselves and decimated the competition in the indy engine wars. I picked up my upgrade as soon as I read the announcement and am waiting anxiously for beta builds to be released.

Thanks Unity!

26. Django

Django

Hi,

I currently own Unity iPhone (basic) and Unity. When Unity 3.0 will ship, will I have to pay extra to use it for publishing on iphone? Will I have to pay for Unity iphone 3.0 if I already own 1.6 ?

Thanks.

27. Jessy

Jessy

Yes. $100 pre-release, $150 after.

28. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

There's a great script called TexturePacker somewhere here on the forum . :D

29. jitsua

jitsua

30. Dreamora

Dreamora

it should let you. choose the unity pro 3.x from 2.x upgrade and then on the page where you enter your key it will add the other things you have on your key and show you the price ($1000 for the two mentioned things)

31. galent

galent

SWEET... I'm locked and loaded for Unity Pro + iPhone basic v3 :D

Sorry it too so long Unity, seems my wife thought the kids needed clothes, so I had to get creative! Good lord, where are that woman's priorities :D

WAIT!!??!

SUMMER?!

HiggyB! Dude! Not all of us are in California! I'm on a frozen Canadian rock in the middle of the North Atlantic! So, how the HELL am I suppose to know when summer is?!??! Promise you'll e-mail/signal flare/smoke signal when it's ready, ok?

I am stoked....

Galen

32. Jehsup

Jehsup

Fantastic. Can't wait to lay my hands on 3.

33. jashan

jashan

Summer is, obviously, when Unity 3.0 is there!

The good thing is: Once Unity 3.0 is out, you won't care too much about the weather outside because you're all in Unity anyways.

8)

34. Dreamora

Dreamora

hehe ... yeah ;-)

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Monodevelop integration in Unity 3.0 will support Javascript too?

this is very important for me..

Thank you.

36. tylerwilson

tylerwilson

I would be very curious to know whether the code .NET/Mono version will be bumped at all from the current 2.0. It is likely too much to hope for a 4.0 release (so that we might be able to use IronPython via the more dynamic abilities in 4.0), but who knows.

Can you reveal any plans in this area?

I am rather excited for the Android target too...

Thank you,
    Tyler

37. tylerwilson

tylerwilson

Also, related to the MonoDevelop announcement: I am currently using SharpDevelop on Windows to write Unity3D compatible Boo assemblies. Currently MonoDevelop does not support Boo on Windows.

I hope that you can encourage the MonoDevelop folks to support Boo on Windows to be used in Unity3D as well.

Thank you,
    Tyler

38. blackwind

blackwind

Hi,

I currently own unity and unity iphone basic.

I'm just about tu finish a project that will be release for both iphone and web player. So i have to port my project from unity basic to unity. Now, in april, i will start a bigger project, that will also be for iphone and web player (with facebook integration).

My question is:
    How will you manage old projects (iphone basic 1.6 and indie 2.6) with unity 3?

I mean, can i work in this new project with unity iphone basic 1.6, and when unity 3 comes out, will i be able to open my project with it? Or what do you recommend me to do?

Also, another question:
    will the community efforts would be affected?
    Because i'm about to buy sprite manager 2 and the enhancement pack, but with this sprite engine, i'm not really sure what to do and if this may be just a waste of money.

And last questions:
    any aprox date for the first pre-release?
    when is unite 2010?

39. otreblA_SNAKE_[ITA]

otreblA_SNAKE_[ITA]

What about per-vertex animations?

40. Filto

Filto

wow! Brilliant features. This is really gonna get unity up to the next level.

I must say though that the demo scene quite poorly demonstrates the pover of the system. The scene lacks too much contrast in hue and value to demostrate the new lightning possibilites and the visuals are really pretty bland. If you study the details there is alot of nice effects but the overall impression is not all that hot.

I'm sorry if I offended the artists behind the scene but with a redo of the lighting it could be brought up to a jawdropping-level that really gives people at unity the credit they deserve for these wonderful features.

Anyway keep being awesome Unity. I love what you bring to the gaming world!

41. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I was looking through the feature list and I am angry that I still don't see the "Make My Game For Me" button.

Don't you care about your customers?!

42. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I think the demo scene looked pretty nifty.

The thing is, no one scene is probably going to be able to show off everything.

The trend of AAA games today is to have these dark moody scenes. So the demo scene is great at showing how the new Unity engine stacks up to games that you might currently be playing on your 360 or PS3.

I'm sure that we'll see a wide variety of demo scenes coming up.

43. Jessy

Jessy

Don't worry! Now that Unity is getting serious, there's no way they can't have SpaceNavigator support. Take a gander at this photo of a honcho about to press the very button you're talking about!

Sorry for stealing the thunder from the GDC booth, guys! :wink:

44. Dreamora

Dreamora

strange ... show me 10 top class 3d engines that have support for it :)

45. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Awesome! I'm going to make the next Halo killer with a press of the button!

But now that I think about it, why do I need to press a button? There should be something that presses the button for me.

I hope to see this in Unity 3.1. Well, that's if Unity cares about their developers.

46. Jessy

Jessy

Show me anything else that has any chance of competing with Unity 3.0. :p

If we're getting these third-party software tools, might as well get some third-party hardware tools as well. If UT wants to make their own 3D navigation hardware, I'll buy that instead. 8)

47. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

you'll need to be an authorized developer with Sony and/or Microsoft

Is authorization needed for commercial games only or even for hobbyest products ?
    I mean, Can I burn a cd for xbox / PS3 on my PC ?

48. Tempest

Tempest

It works just like being an Apple developer. Regardless of your end-product, being a commercial or hobby project, you need to be an authorized developer with that technology. That authorization is obtained from those other companies (Apple, Sony, Microsoft).

49. yinyang042

yinyang042

WOW! Very cool guys! Great work Unity team! :)

50. shader

shader

I decide if we upgrade or not. That decision is based on the price