Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Unity 3.0! iPad, Android and PlayStation!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 8, 2010.

1. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

As someone with no vested interest, I'm also curious of precisely the same point.

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We won't have the full feature set included in Unity out of the gate with 3.0, but over time we'll look to add more and more of it as it makes sense (functionally).

3. BetaRayBill

BetaRayBill

Amazing Unity!!

The deferred rendering looks sweet,.. looks like the quality moves up to cryengine and unreals.... But does deferred rendering work in any way on the iphone? Shaders update/or..

4. Amon

Amon

Very important question here.

How much more awesome will it get?

5. xandeck

xandeck

That's great news, HiggyB!

I was just about to show my project here in UNITY forum in March, but now I will wait some more... will put my hands in 3.0 first, improve my game (performance and visually) and then show it off! :twisted:

6. Paris_legacy

Paris_legacy

VERY pleased to learn we'll get iPad support pre-3.0.
    Any rough timeline? Clients are screaming at us ;)

7. tau

tau

Those are the only 2 features that MUST make to the iPhone shore :)

Hopefully Beast Lightmapping will make it - sounds like it should be compatible as it just extra texture generation in the Editor as far as I can understand.

8. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Looks sweet and enticing. :) I wonder if I can turn around my current iPhone game to take advantage...

Why? Show early and often if you want feedback, support, and critiques that can help when you need them most. Just sayin'.

9. Redbeer

Redbeer

I just bought iphone basic when you had the sale over the new year on 12/31/09. Had I known a new version was going to hit this soon, and be offered at a "larger" discount, I would have waited and bought it for less $300 "total", instead now I get the pleasure of spending more, two months later to "upgrade" $320 + $100 = $420 "total".
    Honestly, this is a good product, and you seem like good people, but it bugs me to no end when companies do this...have a sale, then a relatively short time later...new version!...for the low, low price of less than you just paid...only for a limited time though!

Is there some sort of a free/more deeply discounted upgrade for those that just bought into this product recently?
    I didn't really need to buy iphone basic when I did, it was the "sale" that enticed me, since I did need to buy it "eventually" (before the summer), now I feel duped into spending MORE than I would have if I had waited only a small amount of time, for a lesser version. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, honestly, and while I'm sure that's not the intent, it is what it is. :(

Also, please, no "but it's only $100" responses. It's not, I had to buy a Mac $570, then the Apple developer program $99, then Unity itself $320. It's just me here, not some conglomerate with investor backing. Do I have $100 more? sure. Do I think I should have to spend it so soon to keep the version current? Not at all.

Congratulations on the new version, regardless.

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

As I answered on the last page, we'll be sharing details about exactly what features will work where in the coming weeks. For now you shouldn't assume that everything works everywhere, just hang in there for more information!

FWIW, we may not have builds available for a while yet so I would not hold off on anything waiting for those. Yes, they'll be available but we have no public time estimates to offer so go on developing as is, m'kay? :)

No, unfortunately not. We're still aiming for day-0 support but until we ship nothing is guaranteed (we really really really want day-0 support!).

Should, but again details and confirmations as time progresses. I know it's hard and we're being a bit of a tease, but so it goes! :)

11. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Ok. But I didn´t understand why I can order Unity iPhone (Basic) 3.x for $100 using my serial number.
    I think the store page should have a interface
    something like:

"Do you want to upgrade? What do you have?"

So you fill what Unity versions you already have and the page shows what available (upgrade) options you have.

Just my 2 cents...

R.

12. Paris_legacy

Paris_legacy

Fantastic. Aiming for day-0 (and really really wanting it) is good enough for us.

13. xandeck

xandeck

We are making a Single RPG game... nothing new I think... 3.0 will be a must for my game, if the render and light is better (and I hope the shadows, regarding performance), I really need, because of the magic stuff.

This part I did not see around here (maybe I missed, but...)... HiggyB, the shadow performance will be better?

14. MrBodean

MrBodean

Higgy,
    I can see you are getting over whelmed with stupid questions, but here is another :)

It says unified, so this is what I want to figure out. Right now I have Unity Pro, but want to build for the ipad, not really interested in the iphone, but for ipad support, will I also need to buy a copy of the unity iphone pro? or is that part on the normal Unity Pro. Not exactly sure what the unified means :)

Thanks,
    Jeff

15. Jessy

Jessy

I've been reading on Aras's (Aras' ?) blog about a Cg -> GLSL converter. Which, presumably, would be useful for Unity iPhone, given the screenshots with pixel shaders in action. Do we have any word on what language is being used in that upcoming demo, and what the standard will be going forward with iPhone/Android/Mac development? I can understand UT's desire to push Cg, so, for example, if someone writes a cool shader, it can go on the Wiki, and everyone can use it, but I'm going to want to use GLSL if I can do more with it on the platforms I care about.

16. Danneman

Danneman

I second that question, and will dumb it down with my own addition ;) : As I understand things from the info, all versions (regular, regular pro, iphone, iphone pro) will now have the same exact editor making projects fully interchangeable between them, and the only difference will be the various abilities to export to either platforms (and some licensing restrictions, of course)? Does this also mean that the api's will be homogenized even further so scripts are also fully interchangeable (whereas now there exists some discrepancies between the two api's mainly when it comes to movement and stuff)?

Also, how efficient is deferred lightning? By the description it sounds as if it would make lightmapping unnecessary in an iphone game, but since youve licensed the beast lightmapping Im assuming my assumption is presumptuous?

And finally, GREAT JOB! :)

17. Tempest

Tempest

It was mentioned previous by HiggyB that iPad support is attached on to your iPhone license.

It appears, you need to be an Apple developer and have the Unity iPhone license if you want to develop for iPad.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I can answer that: iPad = iPhone, as far as building Unity stuff goes. Since you have Unity Pro, you can buy either Unity iPhone or Unity iPhone Pro.

--Eric

19. Quietus2

Quietus2

I must say the sample movie is downright stunning. Deferred shading, yet you can see properly sorted transparency throughout the piece. I'll have to check out Aras' blog to see if there are any hints as to how is being done.

The new middleware certainly is worth the upgrade price alone, and properly fills in the holes with some of Unity's weak spots.

5 Stars on what's been leaked/officially noted so far. And to think there's still more goodies to come!

I have two questions:

1) You referenced a minor point update. Is there going to be a concerted effort to resolve all those major and minor outstanding bugs in this release for those who decide to delay upgrading? Any estimated time frame on this besides "sometime before summer?"

2) I see that MonoDevelop is going to be the new editor of choice. That's awesome news, but what does that mean for us cretins who still prefer to use UnityScript? Can we expect some language parity such as preprocessor directives and other enhancements as well as intellisense?

20. hs1S

hs1S

Any news about the unity editor api? will it be more flexible? how easy will it be to create unity editor extensions?

21. iphonedev

iphonedev

I put in iPhone basic on order. Then next page put s/n in and changes info and changes price to $100.

Then review order get this error.

This serial number entered is not for the required product. The required product was Unity v3.x, but the entered serial is for Unity v2.x.

So how do you upgrade a iPhone Basic s/n?

22. SixTimesNothing

SixTimesNothing

Congrats on the release guys, the new features are looking fantastic! :)

One quick question - though I know this might be answered by the full announcement of all new features - has Mono been upgraded to the latest version - 2.6?

23. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Brilliant, brilliant!

I have UTPro UTiPhoneAdvanced, but no money, can I have this for free if I say please? (well, you gotta try!).

Actually having trawled through all the previous posts, I can confirm that my absolute favourite is:

24. Dreamora

Dreamora

Such a thing does not exist.
    Its either a Unity + Unity iPhone Basic license or a Unity Indie + Unity iPhone Basic license.

Though in both cases the answer is the same: the store at the time only supports upgrading the desktop license according to posts on the first pages (and upgrading iphone along to it). There is no option to only upgrade iphone yet.

25. nickavv

nickavv

I wonder how much a Unity Android license will cost..?

26. joew

joew

I think it's probably safe to assume the cost will be roughly equivalent to the iPhone version.

27. Dreamora

Dreamora

According to postings from HiggyB 4+ pages further up the price is unknown and will be shared at appropriate times.

I would though expect it to be higher than the iphone one due to various factors like "commercial dev interest", "opengl es 1.0 penetration too high" (es 1.0 gpu are comparable to intel on the desktop: something that never should have existed) and lack of native code applications.
    Though I doubt it will cost more than 1.5 - 2 times of the iphone license

28. rawrman2381238

rawrman2381238

I am a little confused with the new pricing system and the new names......

I have unity pro and iphone basic

what will my total cost to upgrade be?

29. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity Pro 2.x to 3.x will cost you $500
    The iphone basic to Unity iPhone 3 when I've gotten that right is less like $100 or so.

but you can see these prices if you enter your license on the second page of the buying process, it will change the prices etc

30. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

This all rocks and I allready ordered the upgrade a couple of hours ago.

Now if there is still a little hole left in the featuresm then please UT fill it with SCALEFORM 3 (http://www.scaleform.com/) to give us high perf UI system and possibility to run that scaleform content on a texture mapped onto anything we could imagine...

That would absolutely rock everything

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

That indeed would be a great thing, as any news on rework of the suboptimal Unity 2.x gui system (no batching, no efficient event handling and at least in all my tests it was about the major eater of cpu time)

32. SquiggleDome_2

SquiggleDome_2

I have iPhone Basic and I want to upgrade to iPhone 3. I entered serial number and the price changes to $100. But I can't get past Review Order. It's said something about the "required serial is for Unity 3.x, the serial entered was for Unity 2.x." This doesn't make sense since the serial I purchased is for IPhone Basic. Is the order page broken?

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

The store how it is right now in this moment allows you to Upgrade Unity Pro 2.x to Unity Pro 3.x

You can't upgrade Unity / Unity Indie through the store, and without owning Unity 3 you can't buy Unity iPhone 3 as it is an upgrade to the same.

See the first 3-5 pages of this thread

34. soren

soren

The new audio features will be supported on IPhone/IPad as well. (Of course the number of simultaneous applied filters is more limited on the ARM)

35. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

For UE3 the license is usually around $90k and yes, this includes a super tight integration into Unity and the Unity lighting model. it includes all the beast features that you get when you license Beast + UE 3.

We have a super awesome new lightmap mode that is new in beast, called dual lightmaps. This lets us do realtime shadowed lights + (bounce lights + bake only lights) up close and lightmapped only lights far away. This technique looks awesome and has great performance characteristics, especially for scalability you can just change the distance where lightmaps start.

36. Per

Per

Looks a nice update for sure. I have one request though, please make sure that the documentation is really really good, doesn't assume anything, covers C# example code, more Shaderlab specific stuff and beginners guides/tutorials with common pitfalls to avoid.

Give us lots of smaller mini tutorials too as well as the major project based ones, maybe even wikify the documentation so the users can add support for each other (or at least post comments on the main docs, like the Adobe documentation).

37. Dreamora

Dreamora

Sweet :)

does the new light system capabilities also include something like Light Grids from Trinigy Vision with static lights basically creating "light voxel areas" which then color dynamic objects getting into this static environments?

Or will only dynamic lights impact dynamic objects?

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

If we never announced this until a month before release and that happened this summer would you feel this way? (pretend you heard nothing until July and we said 'coming by end of summer', how would you feel then?) Or would you have been happy with your purchase and merrily be on your way? If you would have been happy how has that changed just because we decided to put it on sale early and grant pre-release access?

And regardless, I'm truly sorry if you feel frustrated but no matter how we do this someone will fall outside of whatever opportunity window we might offer. That shouldn't be used as a foil to convince us to not do end of year rebates nor to dissuade us from what we feel is a good customer opportunity in pre-purchasing this far in advanced and getting build access later. People always complain they want more info and more access, we're here doing just that... :)

Other than what's publicly offered now? No. For anyone that can avoid being to caustic you might try pinging me directly with a decent email/PM and explain your situation and I can see what's possible.

Are you saying the store was offering you a way of upgrading just an iPhone license and not an underlying Unity license? If so then let me know what option(s) you clicked so I can check that out. The only time what you're describing should be possible is for someone that has Unity [free] with Unity iPhone Basic added-on, in that case the upgrade is to Unity [free 3.x] with Unity iPhone and in that case the price you cited is ok, but that shouldn't work if your underlying license is Unity Pro (with whatever iPhone add-on you might have).

Nothing to share on that just yet, we'll be offering more and more information about the 3.0 release, including information about current features and how they might be improved later on.

Unified means just that, take Unity and Unity iPhone and instead of being two apps they're going to be one. You will still need to buy a Unity iPhone add-on license though as iPad support is part of that add-on license.

No, I don't have anything to share on that sorry. :( If you want any details I can ask but I might only come back with "more info later"... :p :)

I think it is a presumptuous assumption. Neither are a single golden solution in all cases so having both will let you decide what's best for your game, the platform(s) you're targeting, etc. :)

I referenced a possibility of one, we're doing a dangerous dance there as we have to balance that against 3.0 plans of course. And I would never say "we'll sort ALL major and minor bugs", there will be some carry over so don't set the expectations unrealistically high. And lastly, no, no time estimates just yet as I've not even committed to that release happening. ;)

It's called JavaScript officially and your life won't change at all, certainly not for the worse and quite possibly for the better. More details on what all is involved in that transition will come later. :)

Nothing to share on that as of today, we're only discussing the feature areas in the announcement, everything else gets a "more details later" response. :)

Our store is currently not able to do upgrades of Basic licenses, a few things are amiss and we'll get those sorted long before builds are available.

I answered that earlier in this very thread, we'll be updating to Mono 2.6.x for this release. :)

Nice try, but no. :D

Costs and licensing information will come out later, hang in there!

39. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Boo for iPhone!

ahem... I mean...

Boo for iPhone?

40. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The only name change is that Unity iPhone Basic will now be known as Unity iPhone, and Unity iPhone Advanced will now be known as Unity iPhone Pro. So:

Unity / Unity Pro
    Unity iPhone / Unity iPhone Pro

:)

$600, if you pre-purchase. All of the store's prices are pre-purchase discount prices (example: the Pro upgrade is $500 now, the "normal" price will be $750).

See my answer just above, it's a store glitch we have to address.

Documentation improvements are going to be a part of this update as always. As to the second bit that's a longer term effort that we've discussed a lot (user comments in docs) but I don't know that you should expect for 3.0.

41. kenlem

kenlem

This update is filled with awesome.

42. Amon

Amon

I have Unity Pro 2.6. I just tried purchasing Iphone for $300 but it says my serial is for the wrong version of unity.

I know Higgy said it's a store glitch with others but is it the same for this type of purchase?

43. tau

tau

I guess, with the advanced lightmap generation, there will be 2 types of lights in Unity: realtime and helper lights?
    Helper lights are for generating lightmaps only and not visible in the scene at run-time.
    Realtime lights are used for dynamic lightning.

Am I guessing right?

44. Dreamora

Dreamora

If you upgrade unity Pro it will work.

I'm not sure if you will be able to upgrade the Unity Pro addon without upgrading Unity Pro itself.

45. Dreamora

Dreamora

by the wording of nicholas 1 page up yeah :)
    Though they seem to call it lightmapped only lights

46. Amon

Amon

@dreamora

But I don't need 3.0 yet as it's not even available. I need iPhone for my game now though.

47. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The "problem" here is that we're only pre-selling Unity 3.0 licenses so via the store you'd have to upgrade your Pro to version 3.0 and then add on Unity iPhone. If you want the pre-purchase discounted pricing then you have to go with the new version across the board. If however you just want to buy a current Unity iPhone Basic add-on then contact sales (sales@unity3d.com) and I'm sure they can help with that at the normal price of $399.

I don't know that you're quite on track exactly but details will come out as we move along so just know that lightmapping is coming in some way. :p :)

48. Dreamora

Dreamora

Though Unity iPhone / Unity iPhone Pro aren't available too, only Unity iPhone Basic / iPhone Advanced :)
    But I see what you are after yeah. didnt think about the "i don't have anything but want to buy it now" situation, only about the upgrade situation.

49. Amon

Amon

Ahh! I guess I'll wait. It's only really till the end of the month then I'll upgrade to 3.0 and iphone. :)

50. Dreamora

Dreamora

Similar here, though I'll wait till there is some info on the Asset Server future so I know if it makes sense to upgrade (if it remains as it is, the answer for me even at $100 is no I have SVN and Filehamster Enterprise with a setup team project and the Asset Server doesn't add me anything I don't have already have)

I expected Unity to get the 3.0 upgrade post 2.6 within the first 8 months of 2010 so I luckily already have the money saved for it. expected unity iphone to require an upgrade for the ubermerge too so nothing shocking on that end for me.
    What is good is that I was assuming that my current savings are insufficient, yet I'm only low by $100 basically :)