Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Announcing Unity 3.0! iPad, Android and PlayStation!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Mar 8, 2010.

1. tau

tau

@Higgy: damn, you threw a glove at me for initiating a similar thread (I searched, but did not find anything), then you locked it without giving me a chance to throw a glove at you 8) That's not knightly! :twisted:

Anyways, my question is following. I have 2.x Adv with iPhone 1.x Basic, so:
    1) what should I select in the store to get 3.x Pro with iPhone 3.x (Basic that is, not Pro) upgrade?
    2) what will be the cost (I need to plan my budget), will it be $500 (2.x Adv to 3.x Pro) + $100 (iPhone 1.x Basic to iPhone 3.x a.k.a Basic)?

Can you disclose Android support - will it be a separate license or covered by iPhone edition?

Thanks and thank you for your patience!

2. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Awesome upgrade.

I do hope that you guys do end up supporting DX11. While it is new, it has less headaches than DX10.

3. ROCFriesePoort

ROCFriesePoort

Wow, this is awesome!!! Will there be a (interactive) webplayer demo of a game/scene created with Unity 3.0 instead of a video?

4. Pulsar Coder

Pulsar Coder

Great news!

I'd like to know the same, plus:

1) http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/mmframe?prid=594266&attachid=1192524 I guess that would also work for IPod Touch 3rd Gen, right?
    2) Will Unity 3 recognize when IPhone 3G is being used and in that case switch back to per-vertex-only shaders, automatically?, and
    3) If one buys a license of Unity IPhone Basic/Pro, would one be entitled to get early access to Unity 3 for Iphone?

5. Lab013

Lab013

Woah, huge improvement!

I got another question on licensing (just want to make sure I got this right xD)

Okay, so Unity iPhone basic upgraded to Unity iPhone 3.0 will be free, or will cost 100 dollars, and it will have iPad support... right?

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Again, the Unity/Unity iPhone and Unity Pro/Unity iPhone Pro feature deltas aren't being discussed yet, that information will come out later.

Our support has nothing at all to do with XNA, XNA is a C# based development framework and we're not rewriting our engine in C#. We are going to offer full-on XBox 360 support, XBLA or retail, and you'll need to be an authorized developer for XBox via Microsoft (same story for PS3).

If you want pre-release access to 3.0 builds then you must pre-purchase your 3.0 license. Just owning 2.x licenses of any kind isn't going to cut it... :)

We're going to offer this until we ship.

See above. :)

You must not have searched well as this thread was going an active before you posted! Zing! :p :) :D

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Support for the iPad will be offered before 3.0 and be a part of the existing Unity iPhone 1.x licenses! Separately you can pay for the upgrade but to be clear, you won't have to upgrade/wait for 3.0 to develop for the iPad. :)

8. DeathFromAbove

DeathFromAbove

HiggyB: is there another minor release scheduled between now and 3.0?

As in: Unity currently has quite a few outstanding issues reported by the users, will these be patched in a separate release, or will the PRO folks be forced to pay the 3.0 ransom in order to resolve the 2.6.X bugs? :)

9. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Spare me the "ransom" comments, if you want to be confrontational and aggravating I'll just ignore you. If you didn't mean that then don't include such things, thanks! But as to your question, yes, it seems that there might be another small dot release but that won't necessarily fix everything. Some bugs unfortunately remain even across major releases of various software products, including ours.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last questions :wink: :

I have Unity Pro + IPhone Advanced + Asset server.

What i have to do for the right upgrade? Unity Pro 3.0 + iPhone Pro

if i understand well i have to pay 1000$ and i will have access to the beta release for both. Now i'm in beta program only for Unity iPhone

11. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Wow, looks like an awesome upgrade. :)

How long will the pre-release pricing last? You mentioned "until it ships". I know those things are difficult to say with certainty and it's not usually good to give a specific date, but can you give a ball park, like May or June? I just want to know about how much time I have to try to find the money.

Thanks

12. tau

tau

Right, there is no option to upgrade "Pro with iPhone 1.x Basic" to "Pro with iPhone Basic" (3.x).

Brrrr :roll: [/quote]

13. cj-currie

cj-currie

Holy S***, this is so COOL!

14. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Hey there Higgy,

I'm not sure if you'd really have any idea about this, but I figured I'd ask.

Do you have any plans for Windows Phone 7? I hear that they are mainly using XNA for games, but I don't know if that's the only way to get games onto it.

It looks like it has the potential to be pretty big, so it would be great to be able to jump on that.

15. neo

neo

I've redacted this post.

I'm going to take my concerns directly to unity as someone else suggested.

If they resolve them, then fine.

If not, then I'll lay out my issues more clearly in the forum later.

16. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

OMG!!!! Just watched the video and couldn't believe my eyes. Fabulous update!

I may have missed this throughout this thread, but do you have any system specs for Unity3.0... i only have a humble MacBook (iphone dev only) and the Deferred Rendering may be a little too much for it. As the editors will be integrated will I still be able to dev iphone on my MacBook.

(i can use my PC for standalone Desktop builds)

Regards,
    Matt.

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You'll have to pay $1100 actually ($500 for Pro, $500 for iPhone Pro, $100 for Asset Server client). I've said this a few times in this thread already, I guess a FAQ in my first post is in order. Go to the store, select the 2.x to 3.x Pro upgrade, tick the options below for AS client and iPhone Pro, _ignore_ the prices shown for those for now. On the next page you'll enter your current serial number and the prices will be discounted accordingly. :)

As I've indicated in this thread already, Summer of 2010 is our shipping time frame and that's as detailed as you're gonna get for now. :)

We have nothing to commit to around any other platforms just yet, today's news is about Android and PS3 on the new platform front, let's just leave it at that for now. :) If/when we have news about other platforms we'll of course share that information. :)

18. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Sounds good to me. As long as you don't respond "Hell no!" I'm confident that you guys are putting in the time and effort to at least see if it's something feasible.

19. D22888

D22888

@Neo : your concerns sound like something for sales@unity3d.com not the forums.

@higgy : Any idea on the pricing structure f the android support?
    We talking $1500 like the iPhone?

20. redd

redd

It's product movement like this that really make me happy to have hitched my horse up to the Unity product. I feel that that trust is going to be well repaid.

Congratulations, this looks amazing and I'm really looking forward to working with the new tools soon.

21. joew

joew

I'm only answering this part of your post as the rest is really directed toward Unity and their business.

You really didn't look at what 3.0 brings to the iPhone if the only benefit you see if editor unification. They even show a screen with the new GLES2 render system, optimized occlusion, and just the ability to allow users to write something that works on GLES2 with a GLES1 fallback is a crazy amount of work.

Also before stating "I don't need GLES2 or shaders" please note that VBOs actually work extremely well on a 3GS using GLES2 so you are less constrained by vertex processing.

22. WebWolfRussian

WebWolfRussian

The main thing that you would place the big emphasis on a drawing. For in such a tremendous cursor as Unity nominal it also does not suffice. It would be time to overtake for a long time already UDK. It is your main competitor.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why 100$ for Asset server ? it will be asset server 3.0?
    I bought asset server license on December 12, 2009

Thanks

24. matrix211v1

matrix211v1

HiggyB:

I have a quick question. According to the Upgrade to Unity Pro 3.x from Unity Pro 2.x, it is currently $500.00 (until it ships, then it goes to $750.00)

I already own Asset Server client license for Unity Pro 2.x and now I have to pay $500.00 again for the Client License upgrade?

So my total payment for upgrading to 3.0 with Asset Server Client License will be $1000.00?

25. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And I've removed my response to Neo's post. Neo: contact me now! :)

26. scinfu

scinfu

I totally agree, I bought asset server license, Unity Pro and iphone Advenced on December 25 , 2009 .

if there are no incentives, I remain to 2.x and 1.x .

I hope there are updates on this thing .

27. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

Quick upgrade question...

We have some licenses that have the Asset Server.

But we no longer use the Asset Server.

When we upgrade those licenses, will we have to pay for the Asset Server upgrade also even though we no longer need it?

28. GhostDog

GhostDog

I don't see the correct configuration. I have both advanced versions now, iPhone and PC. I'm trying to pre-order 3.0 for Unity Pro for both but don't see the $500 upgrade for the iphone. I see 300 and 1200 options. What am I missing?

UPDATE: After putting in my serial it adjusted the prices.

29. Torch Dexter

Torch Dexter

A quick question: for those with a current unity(indie/free) license iPhone basic license who will be doing the $100 upgrade to Unity iPhone 3.0, will we also be getting access to pre-release builds, and if so will we have access to the Unity (non pro obviously) desktop features, or just those for iPhone development?

30. matrix211v1

matrix211v1

Yeah, I also purchased Unity Pro and the Asset Server in December 2009 and less than 90 days later, I got to shell out another $1000 for an "upgrade" for both Unity Pro and Asset Server.

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

From what posted, at the time with the store right now its not possible yes.

I'm right now in a similar situation as my funding is low to very low and I've been a bit frustrated with UTs decision to hand out VCS access to Pro without significantly enhance the Asset Server technology.

So my question towards UT:

What are the plans for the Asset Server?
    With Unity 2.x giving VCS for free to all Unity Pro owners instead of Asset Server Licensees only, I would like to hear what plans UT has for Unity Asset Server in 2010 to make it a viable investment, as its currently not even up to regular VCS features with the missing branching.

Can we expect to see scene prefab merging, branching or potentially even concurrent scene editing with Unity 3 and Asset Server?

32. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Again, I need to make a FAQ. As I previously noted we don't have any licensing information on our Android support just yet apart from the fact that it will be an add-on like iPhone is. Pricing is to be announced later, hang in there! :)

Your asset server client is not related to the server version in particular, it's related to the editor version. The Unity Asset Server itself is a free product, you pay for the client license and it's tied to the client version upgrade cycle, thus the payment for the 3.0 release.

Your total cost to upgrade will be $600, $500 for Pro and $100 for the Asset Server client. When you go to the store and choose the upgrade to 3.x Pro option it will at first show full price for the AS client, but on the second page you enter your serial number and the proper discounted price will be shown.

33. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

For now you cannot do that (upgrade your Pro but drop the Asset Server), but we're working on store changes to allow that. Those changes will happen well before we ship and before pre-release builds are available so you won't miss out on any discounts or builds. :)

And that topic has been covered numerous times in this thread anyway. ;) :)

If you spend money during this pre-release phase then you will get pre-release builds of whatever license you hold. In your case that would be Unity and Unity iPhone 3.0!

34. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I don't know specifically but am happily running off to find out so you and others know for sure what to expect, stay tuned!

35. Dreamora

Dreamora

Great, thank you :)
    Looking forward to hear more about Unity 3, Unity iPhone "3", Asset Server capabilities and more as time goes on :)

36. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

HiggyB, whilst you're running to find out info, could you grab any system specs the developers have? (upgrade Unity would be one thing... upgrading the Mac too would be grounds for divorce in my house! - I have (her) credit card in hand, LOL!)

Many thanks and sorry for all the running,
    Matt.

37. Amon

Amon

Just priced it with my Unty Pro serial and I need to pay $1000 for the upgrade to 3.0 and iphone basic. :)

Will be purchasing by the end of the month. :)

38. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I don't believe that the minimum spec's for running Unity (editor) will change. Of course you might not get all the higher-end razzle dazzle features on lower-end machines, but our baseline shouldn't be shifting at all.

39. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

So, as someone with a vested interest I am curious if the included version of Beast has the same feature set as the license for UE3 for $10K plus?

40. freyr

freyr

it's the same one as unity pro 2.x to unity pro 3.x
    just check the iPhone option that folds out. When you enter your Unity Pro with IPhone Basic serial number on the next page, the price for the iPhone addon will be automatically lowered to the correct amount.

41. KarelVR

KarelVR

I also bought Pro at the end of december, but you kinda could've suspected a 3 would be up around the summer/begin of the fall if you take the previous release dates into account.
    But irregardless of the fact that we'd enjoy handing over $500+ so soon after the previous purchase or not, the beast lightmapping and umbra occlussion culling alone are worth *well* over the price of that upgrade imo (ok the VAT always hurts extra hehe)!

Awesome feature list so far, and I'm looking forward to see the full list.

Does the unified editor mean that things like the iphone sprite features are also available for non iphone versions, or is that just a silly question?

Go Unity !

42. Dreamora

Dreamora

+ deferred rendering = signed :)

43. Collo

Collo

That's just awesome! Just bought Unity Pro 'last' Tuesday for 1099€. Now when I want 3.0, I've got to pay another 370€, which makes 1469€ total while I can buy it now for 880€..
    I feel like i've been setback 589€.. I guess no Deferred Rendering for me :(
    And it's looking so good..

44. tau

tau

@Higgy:

The new Unity 3.0 has the new Beast Lightmapping, Occlusion Culling and Source-level Debugging features - are those supported on/for iPhone?
    I mostly interested in Lightmapping and Debugging on iPhone to be able to remove extra steps for my level design and coding.

Thanks!

45. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Please understand that not all features are 'auto-magic' based on the unified editor, but clearly having features span all platforms is ideal. It's about the editor and the run-time so hang in there and we'll share details over the coming weeks.

See above. :)

If you've purchased that recently then contact me ASAP. :)

46. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Do not expect all cited features to run on all supported platforms! We're simply laying out the big picture of what's coming and will offer finer grained detail as we get closer to release. But with the unified editor it will at least get *much* easier to do your authoring once and in one location. :)

47. Jessy

Jessy

Alright! To be released on the first day of Unite 2010! :p :D

Is there any word yet on what new features will not work on the iPhone/iPad? (Specifically, I'm interested in "Audio Magic".)

Is the Umbra Occlusion new, or is that what Unity iPhone had already been using?

48. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

:p Touché!

No word yet on what will or won't appear on the iPhone of those Jessy, hang in there and we'll have more later. As to Umbra, that's a replacement under the hood of what's there today (restated: Unity iPhone does not currently use Umbra for its occlusion culling).

49. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Hi,

Great news!

I have 2.x Pro and 1.x iPhone Basic.
    What if I want to upgrade just the iPhone part?
    I could not find how to do it without having to
    upgrade Pro version too.

TIA,
    R.

50. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You cannot do that nor will you be able to. All iPhone licenses are add-ons to base Unity licenses. We will eventually have it so you can update your Unity license but not Unity iPhone, but you will always have to update both if you want the new iPhone bits.