Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sweet arse" water

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ZJP

ZJP

BTW. Yoggy?!!. Hello....

2. Breakmachine

Breakmachine

can't download examples. 404 error.

can anyone recommend a method of creating wakes with normal maps to date (3.5).

3. hardyfish@163.com

hardyfish@163.com

anyone who have this download, can you send to me mail hardyfish@163.com, thanks

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

How about lets not dig up old threads...

5. Aeschylus

Aeschylus

Why is that?

Is it better for people not to search, then to post the same question a thousand times, or is it better for people to search and look at the accumulated knowledge of this forum?

6. krides

krides

Yeah, actually, le's dig up old threads. I need this thing now as well. Does anyone still have it per chance?

7. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

The problem is that why would you need that? Unity includes two kinds of water... The new (S***ty) Water4 and the old one, maybe Water3 or whatever. The water before the current one was pretty good and looked even better than the water in this thread, which is also 5 years old...

If you have some shader knowledge you can take the good out of Water4 with ease and apply it to Water3 and you have the best Unity water ever LOL.

8. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Looks nice from the images but I got a 404 when I tried to open the webplayer and the website. It's probably something with my internet security being stupid but just warning you in case there is a problem.

9. bandingyue

bandingyue

looks very good.

Thank you !

Great!

10. Annihlator

Annihlator

Sorry up front for the reincarnation, but i'm trying to investigate into methods to add water ripples from rain to my excisting water planes.

the "rain" and other water elements i am using are already handled by unity's particle system, i just find it very hard to think of a reliable way to cast wherever these particles would hit to their respective surfaces... Right now i'm using unity's Water4 set with the water script and FX/Water shader.

Most topics i found try to deform the actual surface, i'd just want to cast a spreading ripple where the particles hit, and overlay this on the excisting normalmap of the water shader.

My problem lies in getting the particles to cast a spreading ripple on a rendered surface (atleast, i'm assuming the easiest way would be to implement a rendetotexture), and to have these ripples mapped back correctly to the normalmap. If anyone remembers another topic, that's great too. I just already spent a few afternoons in google attempts and hoped this might give some leads instead of running into surface deformations and 404s :)

PS: Currently i am using a method i found in this topic: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/54153-Particle-Effects a few days ago, though i feel this approach is much more resource-consuming and much less "pretty" then the solution with rendered textures, however as a bonus this effect can be used on any surface :/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  11. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

The issue you'll have trying to render into the normal map of the water is that this normal map is likely tiled, even if it's not tiles the resolution of the normal map will be too low o represent ripples. Also, IMO using render textures for this is massive overkill.

What 99.9% of games do for this is simply blend in an animated normal map with pre-rendered ripples (that also tiles).

Example:

No one's going to be upset that your rain drops don't exactly connect with every ripple, your time is better spent on things the player will notice and get upset about, like gameplay and AI.